Why I think Ridley is done

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Why I think Ridley is done

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Ridley is the most talented back we've had since Dillon was around. He's a good combo of power and quickness. People have used tiki barber as an example of what Ridley can become. we need to hold the faith with him unless there is a sure fire RB in the draft. Blount isn't good enough (way he runs, how he runs) and I like Bolden but can he carry a 15-20 carry load a game? Idk. Vereen is the 2nd coming of Faulk I think. Kid is legit. But all in all we need Ridley as our lead back h will eventually fix the issue and like rkarp said he will get carries this week to build confidence 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to RSPCB73's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey, guys!  Before condemning Ridley to the garbage heap, anyone remember Kevin Faulk, who had quite a good carrier with NEP but had fumblitis early in his carrier.  He got coaching, he took coaching, then executed. 

[/QUOTE]

Apples and oranges.

Faulk didn't run the ball much and he was not a fumbler after catching passes. Faulk's problem was that he was small, and big DLs would knock him silly. He did not have an inherent flaw in his style like Ridley that engendered fumbles. Eventually he did make changes so those big bodies didn't bludgeon the ball out.

But Ridley is simply a careless runner with a running style prone to coughing it up. It is highly doubtful Ridley will change if he hasn't in the last 3 years.

He is a bust and will be virtually out of the game in 2 years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He also carries the ball like a loaf of bread when going through a D line, I cringe everytime I see him swinging the ball around like that... he also has to learn how to avoid contact if he isn't the one initiating contact.  Earl Campbell hit people more than he got hit, Ridley gets hit too often, the spin move is a good example.  I don''t think he's done but I think he'll be riding the pine while Bolden gets those reps.  The return of Vereen helps us out in the explosiveness area.

[/QUOTE]

I hope Ridley can get this fumble issue turned around.  I do like how he rund the ball and he is the best runningback on the team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Ridley is the most talented back we've had since Dillon was around. He's a good combo of power and quickness. People have used tiki barber as an example of what Ridley can become. we need to hold the faith with him unless there is a sure fire RB in the draft. Blount isn't good enough (way he runs, how he runs) and I like Bolden but can he carry a 15-20 carry load a game? Idk. Vereen is the 2nd coming of Faulk I think. Kid is legit. But all in all we need Ridley as our lead back h will eventually fix the issue and like rkarp said he will get carries this week to build confidence 

[/QUOTE]

I'm going to go with Fred Taylor - now I know he didn't work out here with the injuries - but as far as talent, running ability and vision, I'd go with Fred over Ridley even at his advanced age. Now I'm talking talent here, not long term, etc.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It is very hard to not want this kid to touch the ball. Aside from putting the ball on the ground, he is the most versatile, talented RB on the team. Others are better at catching, or running solely, but for versatility and most difficult to defend, its Ridley. As for his future, I hope he gets some carries this week, but I couldn't hazard a guess as to whether or not he will. MOST coaches wouldn't let him touch the ball without a lead, and unless the ball was on the opponents side of the field. I hope that isnt the case, but BB knows best and I gotta believe he will do what IS best.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Without going back and doing the play-by-play research, it seems to me that Ridley's strength is that he has a very low percentage of negative runs (by negative runs, I mean runs that get two yards or less).  Blount and Bolden both have some nice runs, but also seem to get more short gains or losses.  This was BJGE's problem too.  Too many negative runs of two yards or less.  If you are going to be a truly effective running team, you need backs who can get you three or four yards when the blocking really doesn't leave you much open space.  That's where Ridley, I think, adds a lot of value.  Of all our backs, he seems to me to be the best at creating those extra yards. 

Now if he can only learn to hold on to the ball . . .

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He also carries the ball like a loaf of bread when going through a D line, I cringe everytime I see him swinging the ball around like that... he also has to learn how to avoid contact if he isn't the one initiating contact.  Earl Campbell hit people more than he got hit, Ridley gets hit too often, the spin move is a good example.  I don''t think he's done but I think he'll be riding the pine while Bolden gets those reps.  The return of Vereen helps us out in the explosiveness area.

[/QUOTE]

I hope Ridley can get this fumble issue turned around.  I do like how he rund the ball and he is the best runningback on the team.

[/QUOTE]

Nice work, you even got the shadow right on the bread.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nice work, you even got the shadow right on the bread.

[/QUOTE]

LOL, thanks man.  Now protect that bread, Ridley!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

bring in Tiki Barber he was a fumbler and was cured of it, maybe he could teach the rb coaches what he did and show it to Ridley

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

Ridley actually has a lower fumble to carries percentage than Barry Sanders.  Sanders fumbled 10 times in his first season.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

In response to stillgridlocked's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ridley actually has a lower fumble to carries percentage than Barry Sanders.  Sanders fumbled 10 times in his first season.

[/QUOTE]

This is not Ridleys first season.

Ridley doesn't put up 1400+ yards his first few seasons like Sanders did either.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

He won't start again........... At least until another injury occurs

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not sure where you came up with that number. Sanders fumbled 19 times in his whole career, losing 11 of them...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/6571/barry-sanders

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I remember his first game back after his benching I saw him carry the ball with both hands.

then in the next game isaw the one hand carry

there have been a lot of good runners with this problem esrly

I think he Gera one more chance before the playoffs, but with vereen back will see the others first

btw I don't blame him for the playoff fumble , he was knocked out

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Most everyone agrees that Ridley needs to change his running style and learn new techniques to hold on to the ball.

The problem is that perhaps he cannot change, or be unable to change easily! Neuro-behavioral conditioning becomes very difficult for adults especially in stressful situations even with great coaching. Someone suggested that to change him is to break him, that he needs to swing his arms to gain speed. This is what I am getting to. I know this for myself as a snow boarder I am not lose enough in my hips and even with coaching I am resistant to change because my whole balance is focused on keeping my hips rigid and my body uprirght. The problem is compounded at high speeds on steep slopes where extreme flexibility is needed in the hips, yet I am afraid of falling over if I were really loose. Enough of my troubles! Ridley may want to change but he may resist it because the old patterns are so ground into him. An NFL game is like being on a battlefield where it is not easy to integrate new patterns of behavior. Speed, strength, power and balance are necessary to power through the line but fear and old patterns take hold in these situations and one resorts to maladaptive techniques to try to manage the stress. 

Truthfully, I do not really know what I am talking about, I am not an authority on neuro-muscular conditioning under stressful situations. But, I know how difficult it is for me to change my style and can only imagine how difficult it is for Ridley as well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not sure where you came up with that number. Sanders fumbled 19 times in his whole career, losing 11 of them...

[/QUOTE]

I believe the 19 times number is fumbles lost.  The 10 times in season 1 number is total fumbles both lost and recovered by own team.  Barry Sanders fumbled the ball 41 times in his career, lost 19 of them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I'm not getting why people keep using the term "early". Ridley is on the backstretch of his 3rd year. He got benched in his first year for fumbling in the playoffs. You would think he might have gotten the message by now that this sort of behavior is going to get him booted from the NFL; but apparently that just can't sink in to his block-head.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm not getting why people keep using the term "early". Ridley is on the backstretch of his 3rd year. He got benched in his first year for fumbling in the playoffs. You would think he might have gotten the message by now that this sort of behavior is going to get him booted from the NFL; but apparently that just can't sink in to his block-head.

[/QUOTE]

Clearly Belicheck sees the potential in the kid or he would've cut him already. Ridley's issue is that he tries to make something out of nothing and when he does he puts the ball and himself in jeopardy. See last years playoff game when he got knocked out.

End of the day it's on him to figure oa dhow to better protect the ball when in traffic...those are the fumbles that can be corrected with better technique. The hustle fumbles where he's trying to make a big play and gets blown up can be corrected too but it comes with a price as well. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

They are working with Ridley on his ball security skills.  We will see him again.  In the mean time Bolden and Vereen are doing just fine.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Another instant classic!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sanders is also 6th all time in rushing attempts, Ridley in a platoon system doesn't get nearly the amount of carries Sanders did, there's no comparison to be made there. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

A little perspective here...   

1.   Ridley is not the only person who fumbled in the last game.

2.  This just in... it was cold out.    single digit wind chill.  11 fumbles total.

3.  Ridley is healthy...   Would you be more pissed if he went down with an injury and became " injury prone...?

4.  Faulk has proven along with others(tiki Barber) that fumbling in a RBs early career is not fatal. 

5.  The fact that all this attention is being focused on him ( again) is a good reason that maybe this time the drills, the coaching the focus ...it will sink in  ( along with sitting and watching which I have posted repeatedly needs to happen.)

6.   He didn't lose the game...  Blounts fumble was more costly ( in Patriot territory) , its just that Miller made a great runback.

7.  Patriots won the game.  Lighten up already.

With continued coaching and mental focus training,  Ridley will be a productive runner eventually.  Right now he is back to ball security training 101...  but after his schooling is over he will be a better back.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I believe the 19 times number is fumbles lost.  The 10 times in season 1 number is total fumbles both lost and recovered by own team.  Barry Sanders fumbled the ball 41 times in his career, lost 19 of them.

[/QUOTE]

OK, my bad for not checking further, but here is what ESPN shows. Their legend says FUM = total fumbles and LST= fumbles lost...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I'm sure the coaches have picked up on why he fumbles and it's being worked on.  Regardless, he'll finish the season with the team.  If they are unhappy with him you'll be able to tell in the off season during FA and the draft.  The bottom line is though he better start taking care of that football or he will be gone.

Sections
Shortcuts