Why is everyone so elated?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

Why is everyone so elated?

Am I the only one who took a breath of relief after the special teams performance turned the game around?

Was I the only one noticing are offense managing, but only adequately. They had their issues and 3 and outs but got a running game going in other cases.

Was I the only one noticing Dolphins gash our defense at will, much like the Bills did last week, and only the inane mistakes of Henne allowing us to limit the dmg with some timely interceptions.

I see everyone posting how this is the turning point and the vindication, but I don't get it. I saw the young defense struggle as much as it has in previous weeks. I saw a passing offense still slightly off-sync, much like it has most of the season. We still either ignore throwing to Moss (week 4) or try to force to him unsuccessfully (2nd Half, Week 2) and can't get him involved in the game properly.

I thought pretty much all the biggest questions against us remain unanswered still. The only bright light seemed to be some semblance of a running game but even that may prove ephemeral.

So lets just all sit back and relax for a bit. Yeah, it was great we managed to win, by any method. But the issues still loom as large as ever.

Team rankings after 4 weeks.

Offensive passing 16th - Score 222 yd/g
    Defensive passing 28th - Allow 272 yd/g (yes, we're that bad)

Offensive rushing 13th - Score 122 yd/g
    Defensive rushing 18th - Allow 113 yd/g

As you can see, our net total yardage per game is negative. That's pretty sad.

There's a lot to fix still guys.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNS14. Show RSNS14's posts

Re: Why is everyone so elated?

Go whine yourself to sleep. baby.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Because were actually fans.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Um, cause the Pats WON!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Maybe because we understand that this team is a work in progress and unlike you bandwagon fans we realize that there comes a time when a team has to rebuild and that it takes time to do that. Maybe we alswo don't feel the need to constantly whine and complain because we're not delusional enough to think a team can win championships year after year in a highly competitive sport.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Give the Pats' D some credit here.  Henne committed mistakes but he may have been forced into some of them.  Can't people enjoy a win around here without poking holes in everything?  So they can improve, we get it.  They are 3-1 and 2-1 in the division, and most importantly they got a win in a place that has been hard for them to win in.  And to boot, some of the young guys stepped up to the plate.  Talk about a glass half empty post.  I hate these cliches already, but "stats are for losers" and "a win is a win" are most appropriate here.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

shut up. it has been the definition of "bend but dont break" there has been a lot of yardage gained against this team, but last time i checked we had a record of 3-1, and you pointing out stats isnt going to change that. can you not just accept a win without btiching about it?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

If I had read the original post at halftime last night, I would have heartily agreed with all of it. But dude, laughers in Miami are few and far between. Enjoy it a little, huh? If this win doesn't make you happy, I'm not sure you can be happy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In Response to Why is everyone so elated?:
    Am I the only one who took a breath of relief after the special teams performance turned the game around? Was I the only one noticing are offense managing, but only adequately. They had their issues and 3 and outs but got a running game going in other cases. Was I the only one noticing Dolphins gash our defense at will, much like the Bills did last week, and only the inane mistakes of Henne allowing us to limit the dmg with some timely interceptions. I see everyone posting how this is the turning point and the vindication, but I don't get it. I saw the young defense struggle as much as it has in previous weeks. I saw a passing offense still slightly off-sync, much like it has most of the season. We still either ignore throwing to Moss (week 4) or try to force to him unsuccessfully (2nd Half, Week 2) and can't get him involved in the game properly. I thought pretty much all the biggest questions against us remain unanswered still. The only bright light seemed to be some semblance of a running game but even that may prove ephemeral. So lets just all sit back and relax for a bit. Yeah, it was great we managed to win, by any method. But the issues still loom as large as ever. Team rankings after 4 weeks. Offensive passing 16th - Score 222 yd/g Defensive passing 28th - Allow 272 yd/g (yes, we're that bad) Offensive rushing 13th - Score 122 yd/g Defensive rushing 18th - Allow 113 yd/g As you can see, our net total yardage per game is negative. That's pretty sad. There's a lot to fix still guys.
    Posted by murghkhor

Let's see..... Henne intercepted his own passes, right? Henne had his punt blocked, right? Henne had his FG attempt blocked, right?  Henne blew the pass route on Chung's INT, right? And of course, that was Henne dropping that TD pass, not Moss, right? (Would that TD have made you feel better, and all warm and fuzzy?)

Fact is, WhineBoy, after the special team blitz the Pats pasted the Fish with, they became 1 dimensional, HAVING to pass to get back into the game. Go ask Pay-a-ton about how wonderful it is to pass for @ 800 yards combined in 2 losses. Then look at a team like the Cardinals, Raid-uhs, or Browns, all 1-3.

No one's saying that all the Pats ills are cured. Personally, I'm waiting for a pouting Moss come Thursday. He had his chance and blew it big time. (Must have been the new pink gloves; not broken in and all.)

So, quitchyerbichin. They came out of Miami with a HUGE demoralizing win, relatively healthy. They have a share of first place, and the defense gave up only 7 second half points. Now, I'm SURE that Henne is personally responsible for that low point production too, right?

May I suggest you switch to defac and stay away from dried fruit, as it's causing obvious problems with your digestion? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Special teams have been a consistent strength for the Patriots this season.  It's no fluke - they already have two kickoff returns for touchdowns and Gohstowski regularly prevents big returns by getting good hang time on his kickoffs.  Mesko will learn over time - he probably isn't used to the pressure of holding for a new kicker AND playing in the NFL and Slater does a fantastic job of covering punts and pressuring the returner to quickly commit to a direction from his gunner spot.  Our punt returns are our only average special teams unit.

Turnover-wise, they also have two interception returns for touchdowns.

So the offense struggled against a good defense.  They still put two touchdowns and a field goal on the board.  They also avoided the same kinds of turnovers that put Miami's defense in such tough positions.

It's a team game.  I'm pretty d*mn excited about the Pats now.  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if both wild cards came out of the East so this is a good win.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Even with a win, there is whining..   I guess only a "perfect" game will please some of these folks...  by 1 point or 40, a win is a win...  if the offense didn't perform to your liking, do you want the team to give back the win?  Of, if the offense bailed out the defense, you'd feel the same?  Every game will have an issue or two..  be like the team, learn, move on and improve.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Murghkor = mthurl = troll

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

Look at it this way, the Jets defense (who nobody can stop talking about how great they are)  allowed these same Dolphins to gain 436 yards and score 23 points.  Brandon Marshall had 166 yards and a TD against the Jets.  The three picks did not happen because Henne is a bad QB they happened because he had been hit a few times because the Pats were getting decent pressure for once and his downfield recievers were well covered, oh and also Ninkovich made two pretty spectacularly athletic plays for a linebacker.  Also IMO the Phins stats are padded in our game because we had three special teams scores which puts the ball back in their Offenses hands with a long field especially when Ghost kicks it out of the back of the endzone every time he tees it up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

Am I the only one who took a breath of relief after the special teams performance turned the game around? Was I the only one noticing are offense managing, but only adequately. They had their issues and 3 and outs but got a running game going in other cases. Was I the only one noticing Dolphins gash our defense at will, much like the Bills did last week, and only the inane mistakes of Henne allowing us to limit the dmg with some timely interceptions. I see everyone posting how this is the turning point and the vindication, but I don't get it. I saw the young defense struggle as much as it has in previous weeks. I saw a passing offense still slightly off-sync, much like it has most of the season. We still either ignore throwing to Moss (week 4) or try to force to him unsuccessfully (2nd Half, Week 2) and can't get him involved in the game properly. I thought pretty much all the biggest questions against us remain unanswered still. The only bright light seemed to be some semblance of a running game but even that may prove ephemeral. So lets just all sit back and relax for a bit. Yeah, it was great we managed to win, by any method. But the issues still loom as large as ever. Team rankings after 4 weeks. Offensive passing 16th - Score 222 yd/g Defensive passing 28th - Allow 272 yd/g (yes, we're that bad) Offensive rushing 13th - Score 122 yd/g Defensive rushing 18th - Allow 113 yd/g As you can see, our net total yardage per game is negative. That's pretty sad. There's a lot to fix still guys.
    Posted by murghkhor

Murg:

I get what your saying.  Why this was different was this defense did get those take-aways and special teams plays.  They only gave up 14 points.  All you have to do is go back to last years Super Bowl team NO, to see a team thats defense was shredded alot but got turnovers and big plays.

We know this defense is young and going to make mistakes, one way to counter that is turnovers and impact plays.  For the first time this season we saw that.

Also, the running game.  They ran it very effective for the second week in a row.  Law Firm avg. almost 5 yards a carry. 

And the biggest think to take away from the game is confidence and momentum.  The young guys needed this.  This is something to build on. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Thread starter has some points but we know our offense is strong, D and maybe a bit of the special teams have been in question and this game really was a much needed performance by both.

I feel very good at this point going into a bye week before the Ravens. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

In Response to Re: Why is everyone so elated?:
    murghkhor, The fixing has to be done either way off a win, or a loss, I'll take this. Are you sure you're not still waiting for the 07 team to show up and spot 40+ every game? We just beat up Miami, in Miami 41-14....enjoy it for a day or two will ya? I'm looking at it like maybe the D finally understands what their being coached to do and started pulling together. Nink had two picks, they shut down Marshall and the running game never showed up. They gave up yards last night but not points and isn't that what matters? What's more interesting to me is that Nolan was the guy who started this trend of teams shutting down the Pats in the second half last year out in Denver and now we spin it around on him in Miami.   What you're saying has to be dealt with but not today
    Posted by Sam-Adams

Total agreement.

I picked them to lose last night on account of the lousy tackling in all aspects, the generally poor D and the poor kick/punt coverage.  No matter what, I watch their games to the end, but at halftime I just didn't expect the Pats' D to prove me wrong.  Up to that time, they were playing as I expected.

What I didn't expect was for Ghostowksi to keep booming the long kicks for no returns, which eliminated the risk of poor tackling on the kick coverage.

I also didn't expect for the newer D guys to yet learn to watch the QB and the ball in the air so as to get some picks.  Though the Pats were still sloppy in tackling on the D (but better tackling on S/T), they seemed to have started to turn a corner in being more opportunistic on the D, which is all about coaching. 

Before the second half last night, it seems like too many of the young guys had been trying to win by playing on pure talent this year and last.  But they finally started playing smart, like the BB-coached Pats of old.  Let's hope Merriweather, Butler, Guyton and others finally buy in like these others.  The Pats will need everybody if they want to make a deep run this season.

So yeah, need to fix some elementary problems on D, like missed coverages and poor tackling, but this game feels like the turning point upon which to build momentum.  You have to savor that.  Was that not one of the most exciting Pats' wins in years?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

P.S. - The pass rush looks like it is coming around, too.  They were constantly threatening Henne.  I saw some nice, athletic moves by the rushers and no quitting on the play.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

A lot of rational posters were saying before the season even began that youth will lead to some mistakes (and losses) but that it would also lead to plays that help to turn the tide and win this team games.  This team is young and has made its share of bad plays.  But there is also a lot to like. 

The D will take its lumps and hopefully in November the whole team is more consistent week to week.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Look at it this way, the Jets defense (who nobody can stop talking about how great they are)  allowed these same Dolphins to gain 436 yards and score 23 points.  Brandon Marshall had 166 yards and a TD against the Jets.  The three picks did not happen because Henne is a bad QB they happened because he had been hit a few times because the Pats were getting decent pressure for once and his downfield recievers were well covered, oh and also Ninkovich made two pretty spectacularly athletic plays for a linebacker.  Also IMO the Phins stats are padded in our game because we had three special teams scores which puts the ball back in their Offenses hands with a long field especially when Ghost kicks it out of the back of the endzone every time he tees it up.
    Posted by JBonesky

You my friend are too sane and well composed to be posting around here. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

LOL sorry I will try to keep the logic to a minimum in any future posts.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1024us. Show m1024us's posts

Posted by murghkhor

Dude, I don't care if a team gets 1,000 yards against us in a game....last I checked the game is about who scores the most points.....we gave up 14 points to a pretty good team.....that isn't bad.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DripFace. Show DripFace's posts

Funny how this kid is allowed to troll and ruin the boards and the reals fans who are educated football fans get banned.

This is ridiculous.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1024us. Show m1024us's posts

Funny how this kid is allowed to troll and ruin the boards and the reals fans who are educated football fans get banned. This is ridiculous.
    Posted by DripFace

Tell me about it.....

Who is DripFace?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from timithye. Show timithye's posts

Last I heard, the fish had a pretty good "D", which history shows the pats have a difficult time with, especially in their house.  I am not at all surprised that the O had trouble moving the ball.  Not every D will play as well against the pats O, and I am really likin the ability of the O to run the rock.  It will definitely help in the Dec/Jan games to come.

I am very surprised the pats D held up as well as they did.  Only one game, but hopefully a building block for the remainder of the season.  Would I be surprised if the birds come to the razor in two weeks and run wild over the pats D?  Nope, but I would be surprised if the D regresses and plays like they did in the PO last year.  The pat's D is fast and young and will make their fair share of mistakes, but also their fair share of plays, while learning and improving in the system.

Just looking for continuous improvement throughout the season.  Last night makes me cautiously optimistic they will, but I am not buying tickets to Dallas yet.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a9690Discussion%3a9ee9af94-4457-4e67-8030-4256483bfe91

Sections
Shortcuts