Why is everyone so elated?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Why is everyone so elated?

Stop looking at "yards allowed" or "yards gained" as an indicator of anything.

The only stat that matters is points for or against.

Bend don't break means you concede a fair amount of yardage and tighten up in the red zone. 

Fantasy football is distorting what little football knowledge you have...  our young defense is inconsistant, a fair indicator that they're young, so when they win in such a fashion against a division opponent, on the road, on Monday night there's reason for elation... if you're a fan of course?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Anarchy99. Show Anarchy99's posts

The problem with the analysis in thinitial post is that it does not consider all the factors that led to the final outcome.  NE, on paper, got outproduced in yards from scrimmage 400-265.  So yes, it looks bad.

But it doesn't account for a lot of things that don't make it into those statistics.  Missing are the 103 yard kickoff return, a 57-yard blocked kick return, and a 51-yard interception return.  That's 211 yards that neither the offense or defense gets credit for.  Yet because of that, both units are made to look worse in the final numbers and analysis.

Had the offense gotten more time and plays to work with, their numbers would certainly have closed the gap vs. Miami's numbers.

Overall, though, I do think that people are being a little bit too giddy, because the likelihood of the special teams unit and/or defense performing as well again is doubtful and they will need to play better on offense and defense to win consistently.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

In Response to Re: Why is everyone so elated?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why is everyone so elated? : Tell me about it..... Who is DripFace?
    Posted by m1024us[/QUOTE]..who do you think it is? Who talks down to everyone, thinks his s3it don't smell, and makes up stuff just to sound like he is knowledgable.....it's RUSTY TROMBONE....back from exile.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

[QUOTE]Stop looking at "yards allowed" or "yards gained" as an indicator of anything. The only stat that matters is points for or against. Bend don't break means you concede a fair amount of yardage and tighten up in the red zone.  Fantasy football is distorting what little football knowledge you have...  our young defense is inconsistant, a fair indicator that they're young, so when they win in such a fashion against a division opponent, on the road, on Monday night there's reason for elation... if you're a fan of course?
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

I'm a fan.  And I'm as happy as a pig in you know what.  Coming out of Miami with a win is huge for this team.  You can nit-pick all you want but it still goes down as a W.  Sometimes your offense has to win the game for you, sometimes the defense has to and sometimes the special teams does.  No matter.  How many times do you see a team play great in all phases?  Not many.  I think this team is getting better and will continue to get better as the season goes on.  Will there be some glitches?  Sure but that's expected by a young team.  Can they bounce back from a bad game is more of a question.  I think they will.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I'm a fan first and foremost.  I don't really care if we win the SB this year.  I think our next run begins next season.  I find it absolutely enjoyable watching all of the many young guys on the team contribute and grow.  We'll have some more painful games this year, and the OP and others will be able to revel in our defeat.  When I watch the Pats this year, I often find myself contemplating how good this team is going to be next year.  This is an exciting season.  Who knows, maybe we'll even surprise people this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Anyone who watched the whole thing saw how fired-up both Brady and BB were at the end.  Honestly, BB hasn't looked that happy since winning their last SB, no joke.  When was the last time any of us can recall him joking with the media?  Or the perma-grin on his face that lasted an hour?  Brady was amped up last night; totally bat**** psyched.  

Game was huge, regardless of the yardage.  Win is a win is a win and the thing is, this defense IS improving.  Baltimore will be a very tough test, but if the Pats can do what the Jets couldn't do (get by the Ravens), I'll start to drink the Kool-Aid.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

We were good in all 3 phases and won a game by all rights we were meant to lose, I think that's why BB and Brady were happy.  For sure we'll be inconsistant this season but at some point this defense is going to play like game one or last night regularly... Caraway I'm not sure we'll have to wait for next season?

We have to improve on third down conversions, creating short third down conversions instead of long ones and clamping down in the red zone.  When Law Firm and WoodHead were running last night we moved the ball with ease, 50/50 run to pass ratio sounds so trite and simplistic but it inspires a constant state of confusion on the opponent's defense.

I think BB and Brady were so giddy because they know the D and special teams is ready for primetime... now I'm excited to see how good these guys can really be.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Agreed, wozzy.  They also need to improve their third down defense...that part scares me. 

They are going to be good.  Jets in Minnesota next week should be a big game...go Favre.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DripFace. Show DripFace's posts

[QUOTE]Look at it this way, the Jets defense (who nobody can stop talking about how great they are)  allowed these same Dolphins to gain 436 yards and score 23 points.
    Posted by JBonesky[/QUOTE]

Trolls, Irrationals and Jets fans don't like facts.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]Agreed, wozzy.  They also need to improve their third down defense...that part scares me.  They are going to be good.  Jets in Minnesota next week should be a big game...go Favre.
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]

Well, wishful thinking.  When has Favre ever helped the Pats?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DripFace. Show DripFace's posts

I think Minnesota has to win that game with them having 2 weeks to prepare, Sanchez is in trouble.

That Minny front 7 is very good.  They'll stuff that run and get after Hair Gel.

The question is, does Favre throw INTs to lose the game by himself?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]I think Minnesota has to win that game with them having 2 weeks to prepare, Sanchez is in trouble. That Minny front 7 is very good.  They'll stuff that run and get after Hair Gel. The question is, does Favre throw INTs to lose the game by himself?
    Posted by DripFace[/QUOTE]

Minnesota's passing game is in shambles and Favre's protection has been sub-par. Green New Jersey is going to swallow him whole.

If you like to watch good defenses stuff marginal offenses, this is the game for you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

murghkor = turd.

The guy hits and runs.  No debate.  He's always slapping something up on the board to see how long it sticks.  He did it during the draft, preseason and now the games.  The Pats are 3-1 and in his world they stink.  A big Miami road game and this is what he got out of it?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

I'm sure the team is hearing about many of the points you drew...they need to improve; be consistent; play two full halves like they did during the second half.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-dude. Show The-dude's posts

Why is everyone elated...You've gots to be kidding me!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Why is everyone so elated?:
    [QUOTE]Am I the only one who took a breath of relief after the special teams performance turned the game around? Was I the only one noticing are offense managing, but only adequately. They had their issues and 3 and outs but got a running game going in other cases. Was I the only one noticing Dolphins gash our defense at will, much like the Bills did last week, and only the inane mistakes of Henne allowing us to limit the dmg with some timely interceptions. I see everyone posting how this is the turning point and the vindication, but I don't get it. I saw the young defense struggle as much as it has in previous weeks. I saw a passing offense still slightly off-sync, much like it has most of the season. We still either ignore throwing to Moss (week 4) or try to force to him unsuccessfully (2nd Half, Week 2) and can't get him involved in the game properly. I thought pretty much all the biggest questions against us remain unanswered still. The only bright light seemed to be some semblance of a running game but even that may prove ephemeral. So lets just all sit back and relax for a bit. Yeah, it was great we managed to win, by any method. But the issues still loom as large as ever. Team rankings after 4 weeks. Offensive passing 16th - Score 222 yd/g Defensive passing 28th - Allow 272 yd/g (yes, we're that bad) Offensive rushing 13th - Score 122 yd/g Defensive rushing 18th - Allow 113 yd/g As you can see, our net total yardage per game is negative. That's pretty sad. There's a lot to fix still guys.
    Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

are you fricking serious. THis was a total effort. go join the

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Why is everyone so elated?

That was the question, and you've received many good answers already.

My answer is that the elation comes from watching a great game for us Pats fans, especially after all the anxiety about the defense in the wake of the Jets and Bills.

People were jumping up and down on their couches during that 2nd half.

It was great fun and elating.

While many of your points are well taken, perhaps the timing of the post was off, and it may have been better if it had been posted later in the week after some of the joy subsided.

That being said, I too find the so called "vindication" and name-calling by the grade-schoolers on this board irritating.

But as far as being elated, I'm still elated.  It was a fun game, a much needed confidence-builder (for both fans and team), and now the team has time to work on a few things before facing the Ravens.

Let elation reign while it can.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishfanatic. Show irishfanatic's posts

I was elated because
    (1) It was 5 in the am when the game finished on my side of the pond and I was thankful for the W. Staying up for these "night"games which end in a L is a real downer...and
    (2) I was also elated when I followed the beers with some fried mackeral to finish off the event just to continue the general theme of the night.

Fried fish at 5.30 am   never tasted sweeter.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Can you all imagine watching this game with the author of this thread, i woulda kicked him in the nuts and threw him out my window.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In Response to Why is everyone so elated?:
    [QUOTE]Am I the only one who took a breath of relief after the special teams performance turned the game around? Was I the only one noticing are offense managing, but only adequately. They had their issues and 3 and outs but got a running game going in other cases. Was I the only one noticing Dolphins gash our defense at will, much like the Bills did last week, and only the inane mistakes of Henne allowing us to limit the dmg with some timely interceptions. I see everyone posting how this is the turning point and the vindication, but I don't get it. I saw the young defense struggle as much as it has in previous weeks. I saw a passing offense still slightly off-sync, much like it has most of the season. We still either ignore throwing to Moss (week 4) or try to force to him unsuccessfully (2nd Half, Week 2) and can't get him involved in the game properly. I thought pretty much all the biggest questions against us remain unanswered still. The only bright light seemed to be some semblance of a running game but even that may prove ephemeral. So lets just all sit back and relax for a bit. Yeah, it was great we managed to win, by any method. But the issues still loom as large as ever. Team rankings after 4 weeks. Offensive passing 16th - Score 222 yd/g Defensive passing 28th - Allow 272 yd/g (yes, we're that bad) Offensive rushing 13th - Score 122 yd/g Defensive rushing 18th - Allow 113 yd/g As you can see, our net total yardage per game is negative. That's pretty sad. There's a lot to fix still guys.
    Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

You forgot the most important stat   3-1

oh, and this kind of junk is why people say you are a troll.  I called THAT a long time ago.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]Even with a win, there is whining..   I guess only a "perfect" game will please some of these folks...  by 1 point or 40, a win is a win...  if the offense didn't perform to your liking, do you want the team to give back the win?  Of, if the offense bailed out the defense, you'd feel the same?  Every game will have an issue or two..  be like the team, learn, move on and improve.
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't the offense have to be on the field to even perform? They were only on the field four times in the second half scoring the first two times then running out the clock the other two. 

I thought it was funny that some of the radio recaps were saying they won DESPITE Brady only throwing for 163 implying he had a bad game. Very funny the stories they don't tell.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

[QUOTE]Agreed, wozzy.  They also need to improve their third down defense...that part scares me.  They are going to be good.  Jets in Minnesota next week should be a big game...go Favre.
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]

Don't expect the third down D to get much better. That is not the way BB's defense works. That is why it is call bend but don't break. BB's D doesn't care about any stat except the score. It doesn't care if you go 70% on your third down percentage as long as you don't score. It just wants you to have enough plays that you make a mistake it can capitalize on. Such as a pick or a fumble.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Enochroot yeah I noticed that too. But I also noticed that they're the same ESPN Pats bashers who wouldn't find anything good to say about a 100-0 win. A few other things you didn't hear.

Blocked punts and FG attempts are made on 4th downs. Could that because the defense stopped them? The punt was blocked deep in Fins territory and the FG attempt would have to have been a career best for the kicker. Had neither turnover taken place the Pats would still have gotten the ball in good field position but hey thinking they might have scored at least one of those times anyway would be too optimistic for the media and whiners on this board,

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from l52094. Show l52094's posts

[QUOTE]I'm a fan first and foremost.  I don't really care if we win the SB this year.  I think our next run begins next season.  I find it absolutely enjoyable watching all of the many young guys on the team contribute and grow.  We'll have some more painful games this year, and the OP and others will be able to revel in our defeat.  When I watch the Pats this year, I often find myself contemplating how good this team is going to be next year.  This is an exciting season.  Who knows, maybe we'll even surprise people this year.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

This is how I view the Pats games this year.  Well said!  Football is just entertainment after all.  Enjoy it.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

[QUOTE]murghkor = turd. The guy hits and runs.  No debate.  He's always slapping something up on the board to see how long it sticks.  He did it during the draft, preseason and now the games.  The Pats are 3-1 and in his world they stink.  A big Miami road game and this is what he got out of it?
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I was going to say. No real Patriot's fan starts this debate and then never comes back to argue his point.  Too many fan's get caught up in stats. The stats I care about are the points scored and allowed.