Why is Gillette so quiet?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

Why is Gillette so quiet?

Is it the accoustics?

Is it the wine & cheese ticketholders?

Is it the patriots trying to make it a more family friendly enviornment?

Is it bc the patriots are usually so far ahead?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

Re: Why is Gillette so quiet?

I'm hearing mixed reviews on what Gillette is like lately. Last time i was there (last year vs Miami) I sat waaay in the cheaps up top 50yd line & there were tons of drunks & a few brawls...But as you get closer to the field it seems to get to be more like a country club.

Jackie McMullen said on "around the horn" that she will not bring her family to Gillette anymore bc it is not a family friendly enviornment.

You gotta remember TB comes from the university of Michigan. I have been to 6 or 7 games there. IT IS WILD! The cram as many people as they can in there (115,00) & half of these people are totally schwasted students. You cannot duplicate this in Foxboro...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I can tell you I used to have a much louder voice when I was younger and at the games. Now I chear but I just can't generate the same level of noise.

Some of it is simply accoustics. Indoor stadiums like the Colts have are narturally louder.

It is louder at the Jets games because, in  my experience, there are more drunk and obnoxious fans. Before you jump all over me I base this on a=having attended games at both stadiums (season tickets to Pats) as well as on the amazing fact that for years the Jets had large numbers (hundreds) of drunks intimidating women to show there breasts. Not a place to bring family or wives or GFs. Pretty sick/sad. I did bring my son there once many years ago when he was in elementary school. In spite of the fact we were not looud about our rooting for the Pats, the jets fans in front of us turned around many many times to swear and insult us, even seeing how young my son was.

I have seen some hugely bad fans at Foxboro but never anything like I saw or what resulted in forced action by the Jets to finally clean up the fans after too many YEARS of complaints.

So I think it is a combination of a more civil, family oriented group of fans, some influence by the owner Kraft, and not loud accoustics.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

The acoustics definitely don't help, but I think it is mostly fans that just don't really cheer...

You hear stories all the time from fans about how someone told them to shut up because they were just cheering...

I'd be interested to see the demographics for fans at games...

From what I hear and have seen, it is largely an older audience...

Think about it, a Pats games isn't really something a college kid can do at the last minute, for instance...

Any college kid could walk down to Fenway and get a 40 dollar ticket to go to a game, but Gillette is way different...

You have to plan a day around going to a Pats game due to distance, cost, time, etc.

That's probably why it is generally an older, quieter audience at Gillette...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In Response to Re: Why is Gillette so quiet?:
    [QUOTE]I'm hearing mixed reviews on what Gillette is like lately. Last time i was there (last year vs Miami) I sat waaay in the cheaps up top 50yd line & there were tons of drunks & a few brawls...But as you get closer to the field it seems to get to be more like a country club. Jackie McMullen said on "around the horn" that she will not bring her family to Gillette anymore bc it is not a family friendly enviornment. You gotta remember TB comes from the university of Michigan. I have been to 6 or 7 games there. IT IS WILD! The cram as many people as they can in there (115,00) & half of these people are totally schwasted students. You cannot duplicate this in Foxboro...
    Posted by Red-Doc-Redemption[/QUOTE]

Every game I see some bad action in the stands and I do wish they would do that little bit more to eliminate it... even if it means less profits on beer sales. BUT - I think overall it is better in Foxboro than a good many other stadiums. Still, when the Jets are here I think there is even less tolerance by fans for Jet fans and that is just not right.

I am not sure why McMullen feels the way she does when comparing with all the other cities but I do agree more should be done to curb bad behavior and its root causes. Maybe further limits on beer sales... Maybe some stiffer sentences for behavior that gets you thrown out - like 3 months in jail, $10,000 fine and being banned for life (unless of course the action warrants even worse penalties).

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

A big part of this is the biproduct of success.   Look at all the hugely successful teams across sports that maintain that success for a decade or more.  What happens?  People hold on to their season tickets year after year and go to the games themselves.  They gradually get older, more mature, and frankly less rowdy.
    When this happens there is a dramatic drop-off in the decibel level.  It happened in Boston to the Celtics under Bird and now it is happening in Foxboro.  If (God forbid) BB and TB were not here and we had to truly rebuild you'd see a huge turnover in season tickets and a younger crowd would take the seats and make more noise.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

The loud fans can't afford to go to the games....At least not in the numbers that they used to. It can be loud there if the fans want to get loud but the Pink Hatters own that stadium now.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why is Gillette so quiet? : The Garden was never really quiet. If good stuff happened in there, especially for a Bruins game, it's still the loudest indoor venue I have ever been in and it's not even close. It was almost scary how loud that place would get. By 1991 or 1992, Bird was done and so were the Celts. Had little to do with being spoiled, in my opinion.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

The TD Garden is still pretty rockin on a good friday night game man. I feel way more energy @ the new(er) Garden than at gillette...

I think fantasy football has removed a lot of diehard fans from the seats @ NFL games. I mean why would you watch a game @ Foxboro (other than a playoff game)? You can sit home, you are not surrounded by obnoxious drunks, paying for $10 beers, $100 cheaps seats, you can keep an eye on your fantasy scores, & you are not sitting in crappy weather. Not to mention when you are watching a live NFL home game you have to sit though SO MANY tv timeouts. Listen, i love going to a pats game & tailgating, but there are a ton of reasons to sit hime & soak in the NFL experience on TV. Colin Cowherd feels the same way...If I am jonesing for the fall football experience, i"ll hit a UCONN or BC game...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

[QUOTE]You cant compare the Garden to Gillette, that is just stupid. The Garden is an inclosed building where sounds bounces off the wall and it all creates an atmosphere of fanhood if you will. Gillette is an out door stadium with an open end that lets all the noise out. Its just not the same kind of stadium at all period end of story.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

You are right of course, but you can compare the same building over different periods of time.
    The Garden of 1981 vs. the Garden of 1991 when they still had Bird was noticeably quieter 10 years later.  I was there all through those years.
    Similarly, Foxboro was noisier in 2001 than it is today.  New building, but not dramatically different in configuration.
    Go to a Giants game in NY and you'll see lots of people that have had tickets for 30 years.  A much better team each decade compared to the Jets, but they are quieter.  This is apples to apples, because they play in the same stadium.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Rusty probably had it right with all of the above but is it just too big to succeed?  Sure looks that way.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

I believe its a combination of all the things you guys have mentioned. But I think the biggest thing is alot of fans dont have the passion that the use to have. I think all the success that we have had has spoiled  alot of fans. I went to a game 2 years ago and alot of the fans around us, were just sitting there looking bored. Of course me and my wife were screaming our heads off. I kid you not, the woman in front of us who hadn't made one sound the whole game, turned around and shot a dirty look at me after i let out a particularly(sp) loud yell! LOL. Of course, the next time I was even louder. I dont understand these fans that go to the game and set there like a bump on a log. Why even go?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why is Gillette so quiet? : Why does Killa not comprehend things so much within a discussion? Ugh. The new Garden is not remotely anywhere near the noise of the old Garden, partly because of the design of the old Garden, allowing people to be right on top of the action. Some of the loudest games ever was a regular season barnburner in 1993 against Montreal.  The Bruins were still good and the place was always packed, but even a good 1999 Bruins team didn't generate the same kind of crowd noise, even in the playoffs, in the new building. Part of it's the design, not necessarily the fans.  That's the discussion about acoustics and building design, not comparing indoor hockey arenas and outdoor stadiums. Was this not clear when the acoustic portion of the discussion was introduced?

BC, Killah's a dooch!

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why is Gillette so quiet? : The Garden was never really quiet. If good stuff happened in there, especially for a Bruins game, it's still the loudest indoor venue I have ever been in and it's not even close. It was almost scary how loud that place would get. By 1991 or 1992, Bird was done and so were the Celts. Had little to do with being spoiled, in my opinion.

I went to Game 4 of the Celtics/Lakers Finals in 2010 (The Big Baby, Nate Robinson Shrek & Donkey game). It was BY FAR the loudest sporting event I've ever seen. The atmosphere was unbelievable from start to finish. My favorite part was the ugly sister chant at Lamar Odom lol. I've seen a lot of hockey games at the old Maple Leaf Gardens too, I can tell ya, it gets loud up in there. They love their hockey man!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ron-Burgandy. Show Ron-Burgandy's posts

I have been to Seattle, KC, Chicago, Miami, AZ, SD, Dallas, NY, Pitt, and Buffalo. The stadiums in Seattle and Chicago do make a difference but I think the main difference is the fans. KC fans almost never sat down and it was as loud on 1st down as 3rd down when they were on D. It was a different atmosphere. Seattle while the stadium helps out they also were on their feet almost the whole game.The crowd at Gillette has become a little less hostile since the old place came down. I think this is mainly due to the teams success, the rules about season tickets (get kicked out they are gone), and the cost of tickets. I am not saying fans need to do things that would make them get kicked out but when you have some people complaining about you standing or being a little rowdy it is in the back of your head that you could lose those tix. I have been a season ticket holder for awhile and it frustrates me a little that someone could complain about loud cheering or standing. I have been asked to sit down on more than a few occasions by just cheering. Maybe Kraft could add a roof over the top like Seattle or end zone seats behind the lighthouse. Haha

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I personally am not looking for Gilette to be a "family friendly" environment. If you want that, take your kids to Disney World, Epcot or Sea World.

We need to turn Gilette into a place that opposing teams hate to come to. This of course runs counter to probably how Kraft views it.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Partly because there is a big hole in the end of the stadium that allows noise to leave. I read somewhere that NE is going to build some "shopping" type structure behind the gap to increase the amount of noise retention. 

Partly, also, because Gillette tickets priced out rowdy drunks ... which is a fact. There is a "country club" atmosphere. The last game I went to, there was a middle aged guy with his daughter, and he was drinking coffee the entire game while she shivered and looked like she wanted out. 

I have close to twenty rowdy, but poor, friends that would have gladly been in that seat if they could afford it...

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts