Why is is ALWAYS Brady's fault because other players DO NOT make BIG PLAYS?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Why is is ALWAYS Brady's fault because other players DO NOT make BIG PLAYS?

This seems to be a common theme today about yesterday's game.  The loss is being placed on Brady with some mention of other elements of the team.  But, overall, most discussions begin with blaming Brady.  I ask WHY?

In this game, we saw some players on the Giants, other than Manning, make some great plays!  Name a Pats player that made you go.. "what a great play!" yesterday?  I dare say, NONE!  Did we see a great defensive play at a critical juncture for a major stop and we went bonkers!  I recall a Moore pass defensed, I believe which was an almost PI call.  How about a great run or catch from an offensive player other than Brady?  If Welker made that catch, it would have been on par with Manningham's catch, which may not have occurred if the Pats scored after a potential GREAT Welker catch.  How about Gronk doing better on that INT?  At least knock the ball down!  On D..  we did not see a critical sack or pressure made late in the game like we saw the Giants D get.  Why?  We blame Brady for that too??!!  This TEAM lost, not Brady. Unfortunately, the Patriots lacked a big play from someone other than Brady, blame THEM!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBCoach. Show DBCoach's posts

Re: Why is is ALWAYS Brady's fault because other players DO NOT make BIG PLAYS?

Because Brady has all the credit from all the wins  so he takes the blame for the loss  its called being the QB.  Who remembers the Troy Brown Catch and run on the final drive in the Rams SB.. or the JR Redmon run... No One they remember Brady

Today Eli is getting all the credit for the win they will only talk about the manigham play for a few days but Eli will get praise for this win forever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I actually think Wes Buckner is the most to blame.  4 minutes left and if he catches that ball - champions.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Just read comments from writer blaming Brady.  What an jerk.  Both teams played pretty well.  Defenses were tough for the most part.  Every opportunity broke for the Giants.  But that's football sometimes.  Like poster said if Welker makes the catch, which wasn't as easy as it looked the game was probably over.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

It's because fans in New England are beyond spoiled. We have 7 world championships in the last dozen years including all 4 major sports. The way I see it we have very little complaining to do around this part of the country.

So because these spoiled fans didn't get their way (AGAIN)....they feel like they must blame someone. Brady is an easy target.

Last time I checked, this was a team sport. Anyone who actually watched the game should be able to know that there were mistakes made by several members of the TEAM.

The Giants made less mistakes, and EARNED the championship. Get over it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

That is such an easy question to answer.  Because he is the QB, the most important position on the field.  He is the team leader.  The QB will always get more of the blame, just like they get more of the credit.

That being said, it was not all TB's fault, plenty to go around.  Worst part is they truly did lose the game (with all their mistakes) more then the Giants won it.  That is always hard to take.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

It's important to remember that the Giants had an excellent team, coach and QB.  They are a better team with more talent than the Pats.

But Wes Buckner still cost them the game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Re: Why is is ALWAYS Brady's fault because other players DO NOT make BIG PLAYS?:
    [QUOTE]It's because fans in New England are beyond spoiled. We have 7 world championships in the last dozen years including all 4 major sports. The way I see it we have very little complaining to do around this part of the country. So because these spoiled fans didn't get their way (AGAIN)....they feel like they must blame someone. Brady is an easy target. Last time I checked, this was a team sport. Anyone who actually watched the game should be able to know that there were mistakes made by several members of the TEAM. The Giants made less mistakes, and EARNED the championship. Get over it.
    Posted by tanbass[/QUOTE]
    ..... and some players made GREAT plays..  unlike the Pats as I've said!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Get the message:  Brady had some nice stats...and lost the game with two hugely stupid plays.

1) Intentional grounding to set a very bad tone.  I turned to my wife and said, "Oh boy, they are going to lose.  That is a terrible way to start the game."  That is all on Brady.  He had lots of time, could not find a receiver, but did not run out of the tackle box so he could legally throw the ball away.  Heck, he could have tried to run the ball and get a little breathing room.

2) On first down, with lead at mid-field, needing only another 15 yards to be in safe scoring position, and needing only to run the ball and mix in some safe passes for the rest of the game to secure a Super Bowl win, Brady elects to throw a Hail Mary - one just like the nearly disastrous Hail Mary in the AFCC - that is short and to a seriously hobbled, ineffective decoy player who is covered, ignoring two other wide-open receivers that may have scored or at least put them in scoring position, resulting in a play that destroyed the will of the Pats D.  You could see all the life go out of the squad that had been forced into bad situations all game by an inconsistent and reckless O.

Forget the stats.  While it is true that the usual offensive play-makers let the team down on the final two drives, Brady's ego cost this team the Super Bowl. 

Ironically, they may have won this game with Hoyer subbing for an injured Brady because he would have managed the game, let them run, and still had the skills to reach the open receiver when it counted.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Interesting thread title. 

I have long said that the QB, although the most important player, is only one player in the most team of games and could generally not entirely responsible for the outcomes of games.  Of course, my thoughts were always puh puh'd because it was the pats record that was used to promote Brady's greatness. 

Now amidst another loss, pats fans are asking how come brady is getting so much blame.  Part of the answer is that you, as pats fans, perpetuated this line of thinking when it fit your argument, but now want to change course when it really doesn't apply.  

Can't have it both ways. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Chris...  we'll never know how this game would have turned out if they ran more effectively or if Hoyer was in there.  All in all, a bad team loss!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

As I keep saying, Welker DID drop the ball, but the reason it was so difficult an attempt was that the ball was out of position. Why is that so difficult to accept? Brady missed his target by about a foot or so, and had he hit Wes in stride it might have even been a touchdown. The ball COULD have been caught, but this discussion wouldn't be taking place if the pass had been on target. Had Brady hit the target and Welker just dropped it, THEN you could call him "Buckner" or whatever. But that's not the way it happened. That play is 66/34 on Brady because it's HIS job to get the ball to a wide open receiver when he's not even under pressure. No big deal, just make ONE pass to a wide open receiver and you win the Super Bowl. He didn't. See the problem?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Re: Why is is ALWAYS Brady's fault because other players DO NOT make BIG PLAYS?:
    [QUOTE]Interesting thread title.  I have long said that the QB, although the most important player, is only one player in the most team of games and could generally not entirely responsible for the outcomes of games.  Of course, my thoughts were always puh puh'd because it was the pats record that was used to promote Brady's greatness.  Now amidst another loss, pats fans are asking how come brady is getting so much blame.  Part of the answer is that you, as pats fans, perpetuated this line of thinking when it fit your argument, but now want to change course when it really doesn't apply.   Can't have it both ways. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]
    UD - I have never been one to place blame for a TEAM loss on one player!  Too many here are doing that.  I am certain the sentiment you are seeing here is eeriely similar to what goes on in Indy when the Colts lose.  Manning blamed a lot?  As I have noted, in this game, no other Pats players seemed to make the big play when needed like we saw from the Giants.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

They were running very effectively.  Brady just decided to stop running to satisfy his ego.  He has been doing this for years, to the detriment of his own legacy and the team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

In Response to Why is is ALWAYS Brady's fault because other players DO NOT make BIG PLAYS?:
    [QUOTE]This seems to be a common theme today about yesterday's game.  The loss is being placed on Brady with some mention of other elements of the team.  But, overall, most discussions begin with blaming Brady.  I ask WHY? In this game, we saw some players on the Giants, other than Manning, make some great plays!  Name a Pats player that made you go.. "what a great play!" yesterday?  I dare say, NONE!  Did we see a great defensive play at a critical juncture for a major stop and we went bonkers!  I recall a Moore pass defensed, I believe which was an almost PI call.  How about a great run or catch from an offensive player other than Brady?  If Welker made that catch, it would have been on par with Manningham's catch, which may not have occurred if the Pats scored after a potential GREAT Welker catch.  How about Gronk doing better on that INT?  At least knock the ball down!  On D..  we did not see a critical sack or pressure made late in the game like we saw the Giants D get.  Why?  We blame Brady for that too??!!  This TEAM lost, not Brady. Unfortunately, the Patriots lacked a big play from someone other than Brady, blame THEM!!!
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

Well, when the Patriots won all year much of the credit went to TB and the offense. Over 5,000 yds passing. So, if you are going to congratulate him for the wins, then he has to be part of the blame. He made a huge mistake last night throwing that ball deep on 1st and 10 to Gronk. Dumb play. It was not needed. He under threw the ball. And Gronk was clearly not Gronk. Also he missed that pass to Welker. Tough catch for sure. So, blame needs to go to Brady. His offense failed after the opening drive in the second half. No points from like 11 minutes to go in the third. No points. Who do you blame for that?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]It's important to remember that the Giants had an excellent team, coach and QB.  They are a better team with more talent than the Pats. But Wes Buckner still cost them the game.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

Enough already. Welker did not cost the team. It would have been a heck of a catch had he made it. Brady did not deliver it well. Period. The bigger costly play was the hail mary throw to Gronk which resulted in a pic. That changed the game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]As I keep saying, Welker DID drop the ball, but the reason it was so difficult an attempt was that the ball was out of position. Why is that so difficult to accept? Brady missed his target by about a foot or so, and had he hit Wes in stride it might have even been a touchdown. The ball COULD have been caught, but this discussion wouldn't be taking place if the pass had been on target. Had Brady hit the target and Welker just dropped it, THEN you could call him "Buckner" or whatever. But that's not the way it happened. That play is 66/34 on Brady because it's HIS job to get the ball to a wide open receiver when he's not even under pressure. No big deal, just make ONE pass to a wide open receiver and you win the Super Bowl. He didn't. See the problem?
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

Totally agree.  Buckner had a great series and was not the reason the Sox lost the WS.  Anyone who says otherwise is an idiot or never watched the series.  Calvin Schiraldi and Bob Stanley cost them the series. Buckner would have been the MVP if they won.  

It would have been a surprising catch if Welker got it, despite getting his hands on it. Brady threw a poor pass that could have gone for a TD.

If you want to fault a receiver, look at Branch's last drop on the last drive.  If he catches that spot-on pass, he needed only to beat one defender to the EZ.  There is no doubt in my mind they would have won the game if Branch makes that catch.  But it was Brady that put the team in that desperate situation to begin.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatBoard. Show PatBoard's posts

I agree Chris.  When I saw how open Brach was on that last drive and how there was so much open field ahead of him, I thought he would go for at least 20 more yards and we'd be in good position for some non-Hail Mary attempts.

I also agree that sometimes Brady gets a little too cute in the huddle and thinks he has the perfect play in hand.  This often happens to elite athletes across sports that they are committed to doing something specific before play (Brady admitted before that sometimes he focuses too much on a specific receiver on a specific play thinking he will be open and ignores other open receivers).

The worst is when he throws on 2 and 3, etc.  Just keep running the ball.  Although I admit that he played the QB position the best I have ever seen during that 16 completion streak.  That was really awesome.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why is is ALWAYS Brady's fault because other players DO NOT make BIG PLAYS? : Enough already. Welker did not cost the team. It would have been a heck of a catch had he made it. Brady did not deliver it well. Period. The bigger costly play was the hail mary throw to Gronk which resulted in a pic. That changed the game.
    Posted by antiqueman1[/QUOTE]

Welker is my favorite guy on the team.  But come on.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Why is is ALWAYS Brady's fault because other players DO NOT make BIG PLAYS?:
    [QUOTE]This seems to be a common theme today about yesterday's game.  The loss is being placed on Brady with some mention of other elements of the team.  But, overall, most discussions begin with blaming Brady.  I ask WHY? In this game, we saw some players on the Giants, other than Manning, make some great plays!  Name a Pats player that made you go.. "what a great play!" yesterday?  I dare say, NONE!  Did we see a great defensive play at a critical juncture for a major stop and we went bonkers!  I recall a Moore pass defensed, I believe which was an almost PI call.  How about a great run or catch from an offensive player other than Brady?  If Welker made that catch, it would have been on par with Manningham's catch, which may not have occurred if the Pats scored after a potential GREAT Welker catch.  How about Gronk doing better on that INT?  At least knock the ball down!  On D..  we did not see a critical sack or pressure made late in the game like we saw the Giants D get.  Why?  We blame Brady for that too??!!  This TEAM lost, not Brady. Unfortunately, the Patriots lacked a big play from someone other than Brady, blame THEM!!!
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

Simple.

Because as a coach the thing that drives you absolutely batty is "MENTAL" mistakes and not physical ones.

TB made two HUGE mental mistakes that led to 2 turnovers, 9 points, and a time of possession difference.

...and one of them, the 2nd, was a REPEAT of a eerily similar mistake he made only 2 weeks ago in the AFC title game that he apparently did NOT learn from.

You are winning, have momentum, in control, it's ONLY 1st down. DUMB, mental, decision compounded by a, bad physical, sky bomb under throw to a gimpy target.

I do NOT blame TB for the loss. A loss is never the result of ANY one player or play but those two mental mistakes were very instrumental as a part of it.

TB gave ELI 2 additional chances to do something that he would other wise not have had most likely(assuming "some" form of sustained drive in lieu).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]Brady just decided to stop running to satisfy his ego.  He has been doing this for years, to the detriment of his own legacy and the team.
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

I know everyone is a little upset about the outcome of the game, but this claim is completely baseless.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]As I keep saying, Welker DID drop the ball, but the reason it was so difficult an attempt was that the ball was out of position. Why is that so difficult to accept? Brady missed his target by about a foot or so, and had he hit Wes in stride it might have even been a touchdown. The ball COULD have been caught, but this discussion wouldn't be taking place if the pass had been on target. Had Brady hit the target and Welker just dropped it, THEN you could call him "Buckner" or whatever. But that's not the way it happened. That play is 66/34 on Brady because it's HIS job to get the ball to a wide open receiver when he's not even under pressure. No big deal, just make ONE pass to a wide open receiver and you win the Super Bowl. He didn't. See the problem?
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

It was not a perfect throw by any means, but Brady threw it over his back shoulder so that he wouldn't get blasted by the safety when he caught it.  It could have been a better throw, but it was not terrible.  Wes still got two hands on it.  The fact is people are giving Eli all these props when his receivers made multiple catches that were more difficult than the one Wes dropped.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why is is ALWAYS Brady's fault because other players DO NOT make BIG PLAYS? : I know everyone is a little upset about the outcome of the game, but this claim is completely baseless.
    Posted by pcmIV[/QUOTE]

How is it baseless?  Game after game after game, we see Brady in a situation that calls for running, only to throw a bomb for the kill shot...and sometimes it works (against weak teams that will not contend) and sometimes it does not (against strong teams in contention or in the play-offs).  He did in SB42.  He did it against the Ravens for 2009.  He did it against the Jets for 2010.  He did in against the Broncos (and got away with it), he did it against the Ravens (and nearly paid the price) and he did it last night, plus in many, many more games.  

Brady gets at least two plays from which to select, plus he can even come up with a third at the line.   Under Weiss, he was forced to manage the games.  Under McD, he assumed the dominant role and he started to throw way too often and in the wrong situations.  He did the same under OB, as his legacy helped him control OB.  When OB finally called him out in that infamous sideline spat, Brady had a string of wins and good games.  But then he retreated to his pass-happy self.  

This is not news.  I've realized it for years.  While the talking heads are often wrong, they have talked about this at length.  Brady is his own worst enemy.  And he is enabled by his coaches.

Meanwhile, in game after game, the running backs are relegated to minor rolls when at times they should be controlling the game.  That's Brady, man.  Wake up!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

The game was lost due too many missed opportunities.  
    1. Failed to recover any fumbles
    2. Secondary did a lousy job defending the Giants receivers.
    3. Two dumb penalties to start the game.
    4. Brady connecting pass to Welker failed to put the game away.
    5. Offense line were out-tough by the Giants defense line.
    etc!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]The game was lost due too many missed opportunities.   1. Failed to recover any fumbles 2. Secondary did a lousy job defending the Giants receivers. 3. Two dumb penalties to start the game. 4. Brady connecting pass to Welker failed to put the game away. 5. Offense line were out-tough by the Giants defense line. etc!!
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

1) Yes.  Sometimes the ball doesn't bounce your way.

2)  Wrong.  Pats did an excellent job.  But the O kept putting the D back out on the field with quick possessions, and eventually gassed a hot and tired D for the last drives.  Manning under 300 yards, yet with 37 minutes TOP.  That's excellent D.

3) Yes. 

4) Blame Brady.  That pass was nearly impossible to catch.  Would have been stunning if Welker had caught it.  He was wide-open and clear for a TD.  Brady missed.  But if they had run it on that 2nd down, they may have gotten the first down in one or two tries AND THEY WOULD HAVE EATEN THE CLOCK.  They should have run Hernandez.  The Gaints had to be tired, and Hernandez is quick and wiley.  They never ran him (for fear of hurting him?).  But Branch had a chance for a TD on the last drive and dropped a perfect pass.  That, to me, cinched it.

5)  O-line was very good, save for some weak spots by Mr. Mankins, who had a bad year (and still made the Pro Bowl???).  Pats o-line did better than the Giants o-line, even though the Giants have one of the best pass rushes.  What more can you ask?

Sections
Shortcuts