Why is is ALWAYS Brady's fault because other players DO NOT make BIG PLAYS?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Re: Why is is ALWAYS Brady's fault because other players DO NOT make BIG PLAYS?

Everyone understands your intent jri.  No need to try to play it off now. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Fickle posters, such as the one who started the Brady comes up small - again thread.

Overlooked here - Brady was not the same after the 1st Tuck sack, where it appears his left shoulder was injured (a recurring injury with him); notice him on the sideline after, alone, curled up, and in apparent pain. Brady played very well, IMO, and before this sack, he was unbelievable. After, the #s dropped precipitously.Regardless, when the pressure came in the 4th Q, he did his best Roethlisberger imitation avoiding even more sacks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Why is is ALWAYS Brady's fault because other players DO NOT make BIG PLAYS?:
    [QUOTE]This seems to be a common theme today about yesterday's game.  The loss is being placed on Brady with some mention of other elements of the team.  But, overall, most discussions begin with blaming Brady.  I ask WHY? In this game, we saw some players on the Giants, other than Manning, make some great plays!  Name a Pats player that made you go.. "what a great play!" yesterday?  I dare say, NONE!

RESPONSE: This is why the Pats' lost in a nutshell. Wes Welker and Tom Brady had a chance to  make a great play, but didn't. Welker could have caught Brady's pass. But, if he had, it would have been a great catch. Brady's pass to him was high and behind him. Kudos to Wes for accepting full blame. It's something Peyton Manning would never do.

Did we see a great defensive play at a critical juncture for a major stop and we went bonkers!  I recall a Moore pass defensed, I believe which was an almost PI call.  How about a great run or catch from an offensive player other than Brady?  If Welker made that catch, it would have been on par with Manningham's catch, which may not have occurred if the Pats scored after a potential GREAT Welker catch.

RESPONSE: If Brady had thrown a better pass, Welker wouldn't have had to have made a great play on the ball. 

How about Gronk doing better on that INT? At least knock the ball down!

RESPONSE: Could it be that his high ankle sprain severely limited his movements and athleticism? Come on, now. Brady was under pressure, and threw that one in desperation. 

On D..  we did not see a critical sack or pressure made late in the game like we saw the Giants D get.  Why?

RESPONSE: Could it be that the Giants are more talented on the DL? Has pass-rushing been a strength or a problem for the Pats' "D" all year? 

We blame Brady for that too??!!  This TEAM lost, not Brady.

RESPONSE: I gave Tom a "B" grade. Frankly, that might have been too generous. Yes, Wes Welker could have bailed Tom out and made a great catch. But, aren't the great ones supposed to be at their best in the clutch? Had Tom made a better throw, we probably wouldn't be down in the dumps, and having discussions such as these.
         Ask yourself this...if Peyton Manning had made that throw to, say, Reggie Wayne, and Wayne pulled a Welker, what would we be saying to UD6, a/k/a "The Dog(ggggg)? I bet we wouldn't be blaming Reggie.  

Unfortunately, the Patriots lacked a big play from someone other than Brady, blame THEM!!!

RESPONSE: Brady is a first ballot Hall of Famer. It is really unreasonable for Pats' fans to look to him to make the big play when the game is on the line? Tom is the reason why Vegas had the Pats' favored to win. Sorry, but his rep. as a big game QB has taken a hit in the last two playoff games. 
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmo14. Show cosmo14's posts

If he is/was to be considered great, then he must make the plays. Eli certainly did. A safety on the first play, a bad decision and a poorly thown int. His massive ego means he must shoulder the blame.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In Response to Re: Why is is ALWAYS Brady's fault because other players DO NOT make BIG PLAYS?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Why is is ALWAYS Brady's fault because other players DO NOT make BIG PLAYS? : Simple. Because as a coach the thing that drives you absolutely batty is "MENTAL" mistakes and not physical ones. TB made two HUGE mental mistakes that led to 2 turnovers, 9 points, and a time of possession difference. ...and one of them, the 2nd, was a REPEAT of a eerily similar mistake he made only 2 weeks ago in the AFC title game that he apparently did NOT learn from. You are winning, have momentum, in control, it's ONLY 1st down. DUMB, mental, decision compounded by a, bad physical, sky bomb under throw to a gimpy target. I do NOT blame TB for the loss. A loss is never the result of ANY one player or play but those two mental mistakes were very instrumental as a part of it. TB gave ELI 2 additional chances to do something that he would other wise not have had most likely(assuming "some" form of sustained drive in lieu).
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

You're right. It hadn't occured to me that the INT was a carbon copy of the dumb throw in the Ravens game. The safety PO'd me more though because it was a rookie mistake and severely affected the game at the end. Even if all else went down the same we would have been 2 points down instead of four and an FG would have won the game.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Why is is ALWAYS Brady's fault because other players DO NOT make BIG PLAYS?:
    [QUOTE]This seems to be a common theme today about yesterday's game.  The loss is being placed on Brady with some mention of other elements of the team.  But, overall, most discussions begin with blaming Brady.  I ask WHY? In this game, we saw some players on the Giants, other than Manning, make some great plays!  Name a Pats player that made you go.. "what a great play!" yesterday?  I dare say, NONE!  Did we see a great defensive play at a critical juncture for a major stop and we went bonkers!  I recall a Moore pass defensed, I believe which was an almost PI call.  How about a great run or catch from an offensive player other than Brady?  If Welker made that catch, it would have been on par with Manningham's catch, which may not have occurred if the Pats scored after a potential GREAT Welker catch.  How about Gronk doing better on that INT?  At least knock the ball down!  On D..  we did not see a critical sack or pressure made late in the game like we saw the Giants D get.  Why?  We blame Brady for that too??!!  This TEAM lost, not Brady. Unfortunately, the Patriots lacked a big play from someone other than Brady, blame THEM!!!
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

I like the which player made you say..."what a great play!" thought. I never thought about this and truthfully even though we were 4 minutes away from winning this thing, I can't really think of one. Maybe Woodhead's contributions, but when you look at his final numbers they were average at best. Welker was having a non descript game until he laid that egg. Hernandez was ok. The offensive line as a whole was average at best because of the second half (I thought Brady saved the team at least 2 sacks).

On defense Wilfork was not having the type of game he had the two weeks before. Mayo was out of position and had no impact on this game what so ever. The line was getting pushed. Maybe Spikes was looking pretty good, but I think the Giants pushed our line around so much that he became less effective. The secondary gave up yards all game and some huge ones at the end. The pass rush was abysmal after the first half.

In reality Brady made two big mistakes that really ended up killing us. So I ask you this...when your quarterback is going against one of the best defenses in the NFL and his two big mistakes are a safety and an interception that actually turned out to be a great punt, did he play that bad? For Christ's sake if others had made some plays, he would of walked away with the MVP.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Why is is ALWAYS Brady's fault because other players DO NOT make BIG PLAYS?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Why is is ALWAYS Brady's fault because other players DO NOT make BIG PLAYS? : I like the which player made you say..."what a great play!" thought. I never thought about this and truthfully even though we were 4 minutes away from winning this thing, I can't really think of one. Maybe Woodhead's contributions, but when you look at his final numbers they were average at best. Welker was having a non descript game until he laid that egg. Hernandez was ok. The offensive line as a whole was average at best because of the second half (I thought Brady saved the team at least 2 sacks). On defense Wilfork was not having the type of game he had the two weeks before. Mayo was out of position and had no impact on this game what so ever. The line was getting pushed. Maybe Spikes was looking pretty good, but I think the Giants pushed our line around so much that he became less effective. The secondary gave up yards all game and some huge ones at the end. The pass rush was abysmal after the first half. In reality Brady made two big mistakes that really ended up killing us. So I ask you this...when your quarterback is going against one of the best defenses in the NFL and his two big mistakes are a safety and an interception that actually turned out to be a great punt, did he play that bad? For Christ's sake if others had made some plays, he would of walked away with the MVP.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

I know you didn't ask for my opinion and I am sure you don't care for it, but here it is anyway. 

I think the game played out similarly to the rest of the season.  The defense wasn't great, but it hasn't been all season.  That said, from a scoring perspective it performed slightly better than it did in the reg season, although time of possession and losing the field position battle was a negative. 

Brady has been expected to carry this team, which is an enormous burden for any one individual especially when he faces a good defense with 2 weeks to prepare and a hobbled weapon.  He didn't do enough to overcome the obstacles. 

His Int was boneheaded but didn't necessarily cost the team.  The safety turned out to be a huge blow because without it, the pats only would have needed a FG to tie the game in the end.  Much easier to move the ball 50 yards than 80. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why is is ALWAYS Brady's fault because other players DO NOT make BIG PLAYS? : How do you determine that play to be a "percentage throw", whatever the heck THAT is???? I suggest you get facts straight and have a little knowledge of sports, especially football, before uttering such nonsense. FACT #1: Undeniable, Gronk was NOT 100%, due to is bad ankle FACT #2: As Gronk ran down the field, the Giants thought so much of his playmaking ability that they covered him with a linebacker (who, I may add, now is a long shot at best for any HOF considerations) FACT #3: Brady UNDERTHROWS the ball, making a hobbled Gronk have to come back for it. (In case you either didn't see the play live, or watch the many replays, Grionk actually had LeB by a few steps. This stopped when he had to stop and come back for the ball.) FACT #4: Because Gronk has to come back for the ball, he now had a defender (perviously mentioned LB) between him and the ball; little solid chance for getting the reception, outjumping the LB while having a bad ankle. (Did I mention Gronk had a bad ankle?) FACT #5: The only way Gronk comes down with that ball is if he's able to outjump the LB. Hmmmm.... did I mention that he had a bad ankle? Ever try jumping high with one? FACT #6: Unless Brady suffered from the "I Can Do Any And Everything I Want Because I'm Tom Brady!" Syndrome, he never should have thrown that ball where the defender could ever have a chance to touch it with a diving finger tip, let alone a cleaqr jump INT. Poor decision on Brady's behalf.  FACT #7: Low risk, high reward would have been throwing the ball deeper and giving Gronk a chance to catch it in stride or by making a great play on the ball (he's done that before). His "knocking down the ball" in this case is absurb. Yiou don't drag a LB 30+ yards downfield to knock down a potential INT. FACT #8: We're not saying you don't make that pass. We're saying you throw it LONGER, giving only your receiver the opportunity to catch it. Plus, there's the pena,lty angle. What would you rather have? An offensive PI pn Gronk, or a PI on the LB, knowing he got beat and has to stop Gronk before he catches the pass? No thanks for the education. Use it wisely.
    Posted by AZPAT[/QUOTE]
    Totally agree with your posts on this thread.

Brady killed us in this game.

I can't and won't blame Welker for that poorly thrown ball.  Welker is a small target with short arms and small hands.  Brady needed to be more precise with that throw.  Same with the Branch drop also.

He could get away with those kind of throws to Gronk because he's huge with a long reach and big hands.  Remember Moss in 2007?  All Brady had to do was throw the ball somewhere near him and it was a catch.  Moss = Tall, long arms, hands that make a basketball look like a grapefruit and incredible speed.  A total freak.

So, how much did Brady miss a 100% Gronk in this game?  Huge.

Brady wants to be compared to Montana then he needs to play like him.  So far, he's no Montana.

It falls on him.

Did anyone really expect the Defense to win this game for the Pats?  They played good enough.  A defense that at one point in the season was terrible with their patch work secondary and no pass rush.  Finally they came on near the end of the season and into the playoffs but still not an elite D by any means.  So, I can't complain to much about the D's performance.  It was better than expected.

Also,  how much did the D miss Andre Carter?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Russ - I guess my point is you can't pin it entirely on any one thing. 

I know what your perspective is - its defense, and your current defense isn't the lengendary defense of the past that played a huge role in your SB vics.  That said, they also weren't as bad as advertised.  As I've written, now at least twice, they held the Giants to a score that was lower than their regular season avg.  That's a big plus.  But that doesn't tell the whole story.  As has been their M.O. this year, they gave up yards and (at least on Sunday) they also gave up time. 

Giving up yards allowed the Giants to win the field position battle by punting the pats deep in their own territory without having to do it with booming kicks. 

Giving up time allowed the Giants to keep the ball out of Brady's hands which anyone will tell you is a good thing. 

So while the defense performed well in some aspects, they did not perform so well in other aspects. 

As for Brady and the offense, I don't think his Int was converted into points, so from a points perspective it didn't hurt the pats.  The offense was able to put up 14 points on 2 consecutive possessions which is a positive, but Brady's safety turned out to be a killer in the overall scheme of things. 

I guess my point is that there is a lot of blame to go around, and there usually is in losses. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]How is the D holding NY to a FG, again proving top notch red zone D, and Brady tossing a momentum shifting boneheaded INT on FIRST DOWN, not costing the team? Also, why is he not asking for help from BJGE's non-fumbling genius as an RB and effective all-purpose work, a "burden" on him? At some point, you're running out of excuses in the Johnnie Cochrane class of law.
    Posted by RustyGriswold[/QUOTE]

Again Rus you fail to see the whole picture.
    No one is dismissing TB's poor plays.
    But what you fail to acknowledge is that the D allowed the Jints to keep the ball for nearly 5 minutes on every single drive.
    The Jints were playing number games and won.
    When you only have 8 possessions a game you cannot spend extra time running the ball as it also takes time thus also taking away from already limited possessions.  Do you want to limit them to 6 or 7 possessions. Don't think so.
    Pats time per possession was almost exactly at the norm which is 2 1/2 minutes per possession.
    Jints time of possession was more than 4 1/2  minutes for every single possession.
    If the Pats D just reduced that to 4 minutes instead of 4.5, it gives the Pats an extra 4 minutes on offense.
    It doesn't matter if they just scored 3 a couple of times because it took 5 minutes to do it each time.  Even if the Jints didn't score, it still took 5 minutes to do it.
    5 minutes per possession on average is totally unacceptable.  It's twice the norm. 
    The best offenses (the Pats are one of them and there are only a few more) only score on about half their possessions. That's normal.
    Allowing the opposition 5 minutes a possession is not.
    Of course the int and safety didn't help but neither did the D if you want to be honest. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Why is is ALWAYS Brady's fault because other players DO NOT make BIG PLAYS? :
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]
    THANKS for chiming in TP.. this thread went longer than I thought it would.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

NYGs posted a 38 TOP time against the legendary 2011 SF 49ers D.

You don't see the coorelation.  They won that game too!  That's how they win.  They beat us 3x on better top, which means the defense cant get off the field and give the O the ball.

NY does not get a 37 minute TOP with a Brady INT, a Safety nor a Welker drop.

That's not true they got an extra possession out of it but regardless their TOP remained the same.  They averaged  over 4 1/2 on every possession
    The only time they were under 5 minutes was on 1 TD and that was 2 1/2 minutes.  The rest of their possessions were right at or a little more than 5 minutes.  They also held the Pats to 2 1/2 minutes which is normal.

The Pats did squander 2 opportunities with the safety and int, grant it, but like I said, you can only expect them, at best, to score on half their possessions.  They scored on 3 of 8

No matter how you slice it the Pats only had 8.4 possessions because the D could not get the ball back close to the average TOP.  Give the Pats those 4 possessions they lost and they win.  There's no sugar coating that!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why is is ALWAYS Brady's fault because other players DO NOT make BIG PLAYS? : Again Rus you fail to see the whole picture. No one is dismissing TB's poor plays. But what you fail to acknowledge is that the D allowed the Jints to keep the ball for nearly 5 minutes on every single drive. The Jints were playing number games and won. When you only have 8 possessions a game you cannot spend extra time running the ball as it also takes time thus also taking away from already limited possessions.  Do you want to limit them to 6 or 7 possessions. Don't think so. Pats time per possession was almost exactly at the norm which is 2 1/2 minutes per possession. Jints time of possession was more than 4 1/2  minutes for every single possession. If the Pats D just reduced that to 4 minutes instead of 4.5, it gives the Pats an extra 4 minutes on offense. It doesn't matter if they just scored 3 a couple of times because it took 5 minutes to do it each time.  Even if the Jints didn't score, it still took 5 minutes to do it. 5 minutes per possession on average is totally unacceptable.  It's twice the norm.  The best offenses (the Pats are one of them and there are only a few more) only score on about half their possessions. That's normal. Allowing the opposition 5 minutes a possession is not. Of course the int and safety didn't help but neither did the D if you want to be honest. 
    Posted by pezz4pats[/QUOTE]

"But what you fail to acknowledge is that the D allowed the Jints to keep the ball for nearly 5 minutes on every single drive."

I believe this is something that a 31 ranked defense does on a regular basis. I may be wrong... NOT!!!!  Not a single 3 and out. When a defense had to step it up and shut down the other guys, only the Giants did. The Pats D did absolutely nothing to swing the momentum of the game. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]What is your opinion of Brady's INT, with a 17-12 lead, end of 3rd qtr, on 1st down?
    Posted by RustyGriswold[/QUOTE]

Well I thought really he should of been sacked (Mankins was cleanly beat). Aside from that I would have to think that he and any nfl quarterback has an internal clock in their head, and when you just avoided one potential sack you got to be thinking there is someone else closing in. Do you buy that? It seems like a logical thing...no? I got to think he was thinking, I've got no time to look this field over and at the last second I see Gronk...he's got one guy on him, what's the worst that can happen? Maybe a pick at the ten yard line? He should of made a better throw and really he should of just ran for the three yards or so he could of got. 

That is what I think of the interception, believe me it could of been a lot worse, we're not talking about a pick six here or dumb toss into the endzone from the five. How many times did the guy throw on Sunday? 40? Out of that forty he made two mental blunders...it cost us two points. If we win that game the guy receives the Super Bowl MVP award - no question about it.

Hey this game absolutely killed me as a fan, if it was his fault believe me I'd would say it. I just don't think you can say it's his fault for making two little mistakes that really only cost us 2 points. He wasn't missing guys wide open. He wasn't standing in the pocket too long and getting the ball stripped. He didn't miss handle a snap or mismanage the game clock. He made some very very nice throws under heavy pressure and had poor field position most of this game - he did this despite not being on the field for virtually 2/3rds of this game.

Unfortunately he wasn't absolutely perfect - despite what people think he never has been in any of these Super Bowls - he used to get a lot of help.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why is is ALWAYS Brady's fault because other players DO NOT make BIG PLAYS? : "But what you fail to acknowledge is that the D allowed the Jints to keep the ball for nearly 5 minutes on every single drive."   I believe this is something that a 31 ranked defense does on a regular basis. I may be wrong... NOT!!!!  Not a single 3 and out. When a defense had to step it up and shut down the other guys, only the Giants did. The Pats D did absolutely nothing to swing the momentum of the game. 
    Posted by AZPAT[/QUOTE]
    100% correct! You can't let an offense move the ball the entire game and consider this a good thing, yeah it's nice that you held them to less than their average, but when they weren't scoring they were pinning our offense inside the ten to start drives. On the last drive this defense did absolutely nothing to stop the Giants. Nothing. No pass rush, couldn't slow the run, pass...this is a good thing? The series of their lives and they offered no resistance what so ever?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why is is ALWAYS Brady's fault because other players DO NOT make BIG PLAYS? : 100% correct! You can't let an offense move the ball the entire game and consider this a good thing, yeah it's nice that you held them to less than their average, but when they weren't scoring they were pinning our offense inside the ten to start drives. On the last drive this defense did absolutely nothing to stop the Giants. Nothing. No pass rush, couldn't slow the run, pass...this is a good thing? The series of their lives and they offered no resistance what so ever?
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Good point.

I don't want to beat up on the D. They played pretty damned well for what they are. But these jabronis that CONSTANTLY deride the greatest player to ever pull on a Pats' jersey if he didn't throw up a 125+ game can really get your blood boiling.

It's just sheer ignorance on their part.

It was a team loss.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why is is ALWAYS Brady's fault because other players DO NOT make BIG PLAYS? : wow...for all he's done for this organization thats rough
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

YEs, and considering how well the Giants had the run game wrapped up, it's completely non-sensical. Running BJGE (the slug) or negative yardage, the play prior sets that whole sequence up. They should have merely continued airing the balll out into short passes, which the Giants couldn't answer. All of a sudden, NE is again AWKWARDLY trying to shoehorn it's worst player onto the field, and end up in another BJGE caused 2nd and loing where you have to throw downfield. 

I can't wait till that slug BJGE is off the team.

People bashing Brady and prasiing that JAG have no right to be PAts fans. 

Sections
Shortcuts