Why is it that everytime the Pats lose, you guys act like the sky is falling?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Why is it that everytime the Pats lose, you guys act like the sky is falling?

All I hear on here is how BB is a terrible HC, needs to be fired etc.
    How the defense is pathetic and worst in the league etc.
    How the offense is terrible, bring moss back, running backs are terrible, blah blah blah.

We lost a game by one score, get over yourselves people. Seriously.

I would love to see how you guys would be acting if the Pats were as terrible as the Phins and Colts.

Last I checked, we lost one game to a good team, it happens to everyone. Take a man the F up pill and chill. The sky isn't falling, this team is 5-2. Relax and move on.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Re: Why is it that everytime the Pats lose, you guys act like the sky is falling?

In Response to Why is it that everytime the Pats lose, you guys act like the sky is falling?:
    [QUOTE]All I hear on here is how BB is a terrible HC, needs to be fired etc. How the defense is pathetic and worst in the league etc. How the offense is terrible, bring moss back, running backs are terrible, blah blah blah. We lost a game by one score, get over yourselves people. Seriously. I would love to see how you guys would be acting if the Pats were as terrible as the Phins and Colts. Last I checked, we lost one game to a good team, it happens to everyone. Take a man the F up pill and chill. The sky isn't falling, this team is 5-2. Relax and move on.
    Posted by GadisRKO[/QUOTE]

Happens every time the Pats lose a game.  Sure the defense was leaky yesterday but as bad as the defense was, still held the Steelers to 6 points in the 2nd half.  The secondary will be the death of this team unless they improve but anyone that says fire Bill is not a true Pats fan. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Why is it that everytime the Pats lose, you guys act like the sky is falling?

In Response to Why is it that everytime the Pats lose, you guys act like the sky is falling?:
    [QUOTE]All I hear on here is how BB is a terrible HC, needs to be fired etc. How the defense is pathetic and worst in the league etc. How the offense is terrible, bring moss back, running backs are terrible, blah blah blah. We lost a game by one score, get over yourselves people. Seriously. I would love to see how you guys would be acting if the Pats were as terrible as the Phins and Colts. Last I checked, we lost one game to a good team, it happens to everyone. Take a man the F up pill and chill. The sky isn't falling, this team is 5-2. Relax and move on.

Gadis - there is a point to where you can't see the forest through the trees. This is one of those cases. Since 08' most of us have been pointing out the faults to the team and every year it's the same faults over and over again. So for some it's not a matter of over reacting but a matter that we can see why we failed in the past and that the same problems still presist.

For the O it's the lack of balance. We are completely one dimensional when we lose. It's not just that we don't run the ball it's also that we pass in that 10-15yrd range. With Moss it was that we were taking to many chances going to deep to often and were one dimensional that way. Being more balanced prevents teams from stacking the box or from playing completely in dime. Running the ball opens the underneather 5-15 yrds for passing plays and sets up play action. 5-15 yrd passes set up pump fakes and screens. Combine them and it opens up the top of the field for long over the top plays. When you have the threat of over the top plays it sets S's back opening up the run. It all builds on itself yet in this past game we either threw it 10yrds or we didn't really make any plays, there was no balance at all. Also there's ToP. Quick scores are nice but Pitt killed us because of ToP not letting our O even have a shot. If you dominant ToP you dictate the game and force teams to panic if they only have 20mins to out score you verses 30mins.

For the D they were beyond bad yesterday. Forget the score or that the Steelers only scored 6 points in the second half. The Steelers did exactly what they wanted to. How many 10+ play drives did our D give up. How much time did the Steelers chew up giving no time for the O to catch out. How many 3rd downs did they convert. Sometimes when you are up coming out of a half a 12 play drive that takes up 8mins and only results in a FG is better then a 4 play drive that takes up 2mins but results in a TD. The measure of a D isn't just how many points they give up it's also how quickly they can get off the field. Of course the more your O is on the field and the less your D is the better chance you have to win the game. Well the D was on the field twice as often as the O this game and it's exactly what Pitt wanted to do (think about what we use to do to Payton)

If things continue this way we will be one and done again in the playoffs because this is exactly how we looked last year and the year before. If we were losing in a different manner then previous years I think there would be less panic  but it's like watching a guy run into a wall get up and run at the wall again thinking this time they can burst through like the kool-aid man

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

anyone saying fire bill is either not a true fan or just stupid, but i do think this game proves bill could use some help with the defense, i dont think hiring a defensive coordinator would make people think he is less of a coach...if he wants to win another title, we need some help on defense cuz that zone obviously isnt working

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I am no one's alarmist.  I try to place each game in perspective whether the Pats win or lose.  That said, I believe that this game indicates that the team has some personnel deficiencies on the defensive side of the ball and some game plan deficiencies on the offensive side of the ball. 

D:
    *No consistency in the pass rush;
    *Marginal secondary play;

O:
    *Seems as though the run was de-emphasized when it could have been more of a weapon;
    *Where was the play action pass (probably not used because of my first point on offense);

I don't believe the sky is falling nor do I believe the team sux.  I do believe however that the defense has improved substantially over the preceding 2 years.  Nothing wrong with the O a little different game planning won't cure.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Why is it that everytime the Pats lose, you guys act like the sky is falling?:
    [QUOTE]I don't think it's that they lost, it's how they lost. The team just looked awlful, no fire, no passion, no nasty. and Brady can't do everything. The two teams that they "owned" Bills and Steelers both made them look foolish! and can someone tell me why the hell Belichick alway defers!!!!!?? Sure just put the ball in Ben's hands when you know your defense is going to struggle against the pass. I just don't get it. I know the team can't win every game. Wish I knew what happened, because something didn't seem right.
    Posted by NEGAME2[/QUOTE]

NEGAME - the logic behind deferring is a great one. You are trusting that your D can hold on that first drive giving up at maximum a FG. Then it usually means you O is the last one to touch the ball before the half. If you go into a half after just scoring on the final drive and you lead the game it's hard for the other team to get excited. Then starting the next half if you drive and score on that first play you not only take the wind out of your opponent but that's a 2 score swing. Momentum is a big thing in football and a 2 score swing can take the wind completely out of a team. Esp when they are coming out of the locker room losing at the half. But this only works if you are leading going into the half and score on that first drive following the half. Neither of which happened last night but usually happens when the Pats play.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Don't see what the big deal is.  D held a great offense to 23 points.  Offense struggled against a great defense but showed at the end it could rally if needed.  Regular season game, non-division opponent, Pats still tops in the division.  What's the problem?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

I don't think it's that they lost, it's how they lost. The team just looked awlful, no fire, no passion, no nasty. and Brady can't do everything. The two teams that they "owned" Bills and Steelers both made them look foolish! and can someone tell me why the hell Belichick alway defers!!!!!?? Sure just put the ball in Ben's hands when you know your defense is going to struggle against the pass. I just don't get it. I know the team can't win every game. Wish I knew what happened, because something didn't seem right.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxinBoston. Show SoxinBoston's posts

Nobody is saying that the Pats are not a good team.  They are.  I think the frustration is that "Genius" BB has had years to put at least a "serviceable" defense on the field and has failed to do so.  With the offensive talent on the Patriots, even if they only had the 15th ranked D in the league, they would be superbowl bound in any given year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

Good post Mighty! You hit the nail on the head, Regular season game! It's just one game. We had the same 'The Sky is falling' here in Pittsburgh after the Baltimore shelllacking.  I kept telling everyone that its a long season. The NFl is so up & down anymore, look at St. Louis beating N. Orleans. Bellichick is a great coach and Brady is a tremendous QB. Come  playoff time, he will have fixed any problems that need to be taken care of. No way the Steelers(If they make the Playoffs) beat New England twice in one year. Especially if the game is in New England. The Patriots have had a pretty tough schedule compared to the Steelers. It can only help them in the long run. The past few years the Patriots have been so good, all the pressure seemed to be on them come playoff time. Sometimes it's better to enter the playoffs flying a little low on the radar. Glad to see that most of the regulars on here understand football and that you can't fire the coach & bench the QB after every loss. In Response to Re: Why is it that everytime the Pats lose, you guys act like the sky is falling?:
    [QUOTE]Don't see what the big deal is.  D held a great offense to 23 points.  Offense struggled against a great defense but showed at the end it could rally if needed.  Regular season game, non-division opponent, Pats still tops in the division.  What's the problem?
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Should have seen the game thread.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Why is it that everytime the Pats lose, you guys act like the sky is falling?:
    [QUOTE]Don't see what the big deal is.  D held a great offense to 23 points.  Offense struggled against a great defense but showed at the end it could rally if needed.  Regular season game, non-division opponent, Pats still tops in the division.  What's the problem?

Exactly. But some can't get over the fact they had 7 drives for 60 plus yards. Defense worked their butts off.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

The issue isn't the the D held Pitt to 23 points it's that Pitt only wanted to score 23 points (imo they could have scored more if they wanted to).

This might seem confusing but it's exactly what we use to do to teams with high flying O's. Remember game plans around Indy? It was better to score 20 points with long drawn out drives that dominanted ToP then to try to get into a track meet with Payton. That's exactly what Pitt did to us yesterday.

Look at the drives Pitt put together, the amount of plays per drive and the amount of time per drive. They dink and dunked us to death keeping Brady off the field. It was a great game plan that we couldn't match and it's exactly what the Jets did to us last year in the playoffs and what Balt did the year before. Unless that gets corrected it might be what happens again this year.

Part of being a fan is not just supporting the team win or lose but it's also breaking down their faults and thinking of ways they can keep improving. Unfortunitly it seems to be the same faults since Seymour was traded. Lack of consistent pass rush, a soft zone secondary, and an unbalanced O. It's something a number of us point to after the past couple of off-season but never seems to get fix no matter what vets or pick they spend. Carter seems to be the exception but don't call fans trolls because they call out faults that have appeared over a 3 year period not just one game

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]Good post Mighty! You hit the nail on the head, Regular season game! It's just one game. We had the same 'The Sky is falling' here in Pittsburgh after the Baltimore shelllacking.  I kept telling everyone that its a long season. The NFl is so up & down anymore, look at St. Louis beating N. Orleans. Bellichick is a great coach and Brady is a tremendous QB. Come  playoff time, he will have fixed any problems that need to be taken care of. No way the Steelers(If they make the Playoffs) beat New England twice in one year. Especially if the game is in New England. The Patriots have had a pretty tough schedule compared to the Steelers. It can only help them in the long run. The past few years the Patriots have been so good, all the pressure seemed to be on them come playoff time. Sometimes it's better to enter the playoffs flying a little low on the radar. Glad to see that most of the regulars on here understand football and that you can't fire the coach & bench the QB after every loss. In Response to Re: Why is it that everytime the Pats lose, you guys act like the sky is falling? :
    Posted by Steelcurtain75[/QUOTE]

I think the two games are similar.  One team smoking hot, the other just kind of lifeless.  What I would like to see is our team getting it together after this.  Good teams bounce back and get better.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Why is it that everytime the Pats lose, you guys act like the sky is falling? : Gadis - there is a point to where you can't see the forest through the trees. This is one of those cases. Since 08' most of us have been pointing out the faults to the team and every year it's the same faults over and over again. So for some it's not a matter of over reacting but a matter that we can see why we failed in the past and that the same problems still presist. For the O it's the lack of balance. We are completely one dimensional when we lose. It's not just that we don't run the ball it's also that we pass in that 10-15yrd range. With Moss it was that we were taking to many chances going to deep to often and were one dimensional that way. Being more balanced prevents teams from stacking the box or from playing completely in dime. Running the ball opens the underneather 5-15 yrds for passing plays and sets up play action. 5-15 yrd passes set up pump fakes and screens. Combine them and it opens up the top of the field for long over the top plays. When you have the threat of over the top plays it sets S's back opening up the run. It all builds on itself yet in this past game we either threw it 10yrds or we didn't really make any plays, there was no balance at all. Also there's ToP. Quick scores are nice but Pitt killed us because of ToP not letting our O even have a shot. If you dominant ToP you dictate the game and force teams to panic if they only have 20mins to out score you verses 30mins. For the D they were beyond bad yesterday. Forget the score or that the Steelers only scored 6 points in the second half. The Steelers did exactly what they wanted to. How many 10+ play drives did our D give up. How much time did the Steelers chew up giving no time for the O to catch out. How many 3rd downs did they convert. Sometimes when you are up coming out of a half a 12 play drive that takes up 8mins and only results in a FG is better then a 4 play drive that takes up 2mins but results in a TD. The measure of a D isn't just how many points they give up it's also how quickly they can get off the field. Of course the more your O is on the field and the less your D is the better chance you have to win the game. Well the D was on the field twice as often as the O this game and it's exactly what Pitt wanted to do (think about what we use to do to Payton) If things continue this way we will be one and done again in the playoffs because this is exactly how we looked last year and the year before. If we were losing in a different manner then previous years I think there would be less panic  but it's like watching a guy run into a wall get up and run at the wall again thinking this time they can burst through like the kool-aid man
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

I was looking for a simpler reason...it just gives us something to talk aboutLaughing

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Week 10 last year we hammered the Steelers 39-26 and they went to the superbowl. I say we return the favor.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

Davedsone...Your right about good teams bouncing back. I have no doubt that the Patriots will bounce back. I have a lot of respect for your team, great organization!

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why is it that everytime the Pats lose, you guys act like the sky is falling? : I think the two games are similar.  One team smoking hot, the other just kind of lifeless.  What I would like to see is our team getting it together after this.  Good teams bounce back and get better.  
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mighty2011. Show mighty2011's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why is it that everytime the Pats lose, you guys act like the sky is falling? : The issue isn't the the D held Pitt to 23 points it's that Pitt only wanted to score 23 points (imo they could have scored more if they wanted to). This might seem confusing but it's exactly what we use to do to teams with high flying O's. Remember game plans around Indy? It was better to score 20 points with long drawn out drives that dominanted ToP then to try to get into a track meet with Payton. That's exactly what Pitt did to us yesterday. Look at the drives Pitt put together, the amount of plays per drive and the amount of time per drive. They dink and dunked us to death keeping Brady off the field. It was a great game plan that we couldn't match and it's exactly what the Jets did to us last year in the playoffs and what Balt did the year before. Unless that gets corrected it might be what happens again this year. Part of being a fan is not just supporting the team win or lose but it's also breaking down their faults and thinking of ways they can keep improving. Unfortunitly it seems to be the same faults since Seymour was traded. Lack of consistent pass rush, a soft zone secondary, and an unbalanced O. It's something a number of us point to after the past couple of off-season but never seems to get fix no matter what vets or pick they spend. Carter seems to be the exception but don't call fans trolls because they call out faults that have appeared over a 3 year period not just one game

Well that was at least partially intentional by BB too.  I mean the defensive priorities were obviously:

1.  Don't give up the big play
    2.  Pressure Big Ben
    3.  Stop the run
    4.  Force Big Ben to execute his way down the field with short, quick passes
    5.  Make them settle for a field goal

And it worked.  Steelers only got in the endzone twice.  And only scored 6 points in the second half.  Problem was that the offense couldn't stay on the field or score unless set up by an interception or against a prevent D.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]Davedsone...Your right about good teams bouncing back. I have no doubt that the Patriots will bounce back. I have a lot of respect for your team, great organization! In Response to Re: Why is it that everytime the Pats lose, you guys act like the sky is falling? :

Ahhhh.  A voice of reason from a fan of another team,  How refreshing.
    Please visit often.  This forum needs more of that.
    Some seem to have lost their minds.  LOL

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why is it that everytime the Pats lose, you guys act like the sky is falling? : Well that was at least partially intentional by BB too.  I mean the defensive priorities were obviously: 1.  Don't give up the big play 2.  Pressure Big Ben 3.  Stop the run 4.  Force Big Ben to execute his way down the field with short, quick passes 5.  Make them settle for a field goal And it worked.  Steelers only got in the endzone twice.  And only scored 6 points in the second half.  Problem was that the offense couldn't stay on the field or score unless set up by an interception or against a prevent D.
    Posted by mighty2011[/QUOTE]

Yes you are right that BB's game plan is bend but don't break which means protect the big play and only give up FG's if they get into the red zone. But, that also means you count on the D to make some stops and 3 and outs. You can't give the opponent a 2:1 ratio in ToP.

I think the Steelers planned that BB was going to play this style of bend and don't break and used it to their advantage chewing up a ton of clock. It's similar to what we use to do from 01-06 with the big name QB's. You can't run only 3 plays on O in a quarter and you can't expect to win if you O only has 20mins to out score the opponent.

The whole point of bend but don't break is that you are ahead and counting on your O to continue to score enough points to keep ahead and eat clock while at the same time the opponent either has to take more risks down field creating turn over chances or shot themselves in the foot by eating up clock. If you are down bend but don't break is like shooting yourself in the foot chewing away clock. Esp, if your O is having trouble moving the ball that day

It was a failure all the way around. The O failed to score when needed and the D couldn't make a stop on 3r downs. For some reason I don't think BB planned for the D to give up 1st downs on 3rd and 11, 12, 15, 9, 12

Then of course it was failure of the coaches to adjust.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mighty2011. Show mighty2011's posts

[QUOTE]And actually Mighty, I think that's where I think D's will eventually turn in this new anti-D NFL is it's better to give up 6 drives for 6 FG's then three 3 and outs and 3 TD's. However, much like in the Buf game the D failed because they couldn't make those critical 3 and outs. We saw them make stops on drives against SD, Phins, NYJ, and Dal that gave the O a chance to pull away. Those stops never came in our loses. The D doesn't need to be perfect and normally 2 TD's and a couple of FG's is a win in my mind but when your O is having trouble getting going the D needs to step up and make a couple of stops to get the O back the ball and they failed to do it this game The best proof is that in 09' against the Bills they were down by 5 with 2:10 left on the clock and BB kicked the ball deep. He trusted the D then to make a stop when they needed to. Same situation with this game but BB went for a low % onside kick because he didn't trust the D could make a critical 3 and out type of stop. That speaks volumes for what BB thought of the D that game

There's only so much the D can do.  They can't stop everything.  Time of possession is just as much on the offense for not sustaining drives.  BB successfully implemented a low scoring defensive gameplan and counted on his offense to score as it usually does.  It didn't work, but isn't it a relief to know the problem is on the offensive side of the ball, where we know we have the ability to get a lot better?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mighty2011. Show mighty2011's posts

Ok how did i reply to your thread three minutes before you wrote it?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

And actually Mighty, I think that's where I think D's will eventually turn in this new anti-D NFL is it's better to give up 6 drives for 6 FG's then three 3 and outs and 3 TD's. However, much like in the Buf game the D failed because they couldn't make those critical 3 and outs. We saw them make stops on drives against SD, Phins, NYJ, and Dal that gave the O a chance to pull away. Those stops never came in our loses.

The D doesn't need to be perfect and normally 2 TD's and a couple of FG's is a win in my mind but when your O is having trouble getting going the D needs to step up and make a couple of stops to get the O back the ball and they failed to do it this game

The best proof is that in 09' against the Bills they were down by 5 with 2:10 left on the clock and BB kicked the ball deep. He trusted the D then to make a stop when they needed to. Same situation with this game but BB went for a low % onside kick because he didn't trust the D could make a critical 3 and out type of stop. That speaks volumes for what BB thought of the D that game

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

[QUOTE]Good post Mighty! You hit the nail on the head, Regular season game! It's just one game. We had the same 'The Sky is falling' here in Pittsburgh after the Baltimore shelllacking.  I kept telling everyone that its a long season. The NFl is so up & down anymore, look at St. Louis beating N. Orleans. Bellichick is a great coach and Brady is a tremendous QB. Come  playoff time, he will have fixed any problems that need to be taken care of. No way the Steelers(If they make the Playoffs) beat New England twice in one year. Especially if the game is in New England. The Patriots have had a pretty tough schedule compared to the Steelers. It can only help them in the long run. The past few years the Patriots have been so good, all the pressure seemed to be on them come playoff time. Sometimes it's better to enter the playoffs flying a little low on the radar. Glad to see that most of the regulars on here understand football and that you can't fire the coach & bench the QB after every loss. In Response to Re: Why is it that everytime the Pats lose, you guys act like the sky is falling? :

Seriously? What kind of Steelers fan would say that?!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

its great how the saints lost to AJ FEELEY and the now 1-6 rams and all we hear is how bad our pats are for losing by 1 score to the steelers, who last i checked were in the super bowl last year and have all their guys back from that team besides injuries.

the ravens had to pull a comeback win AT HOME against the GARBAGE CARDINALS and they lost to the WORTHLESS JAGUARS last week on MNF, and yet we will hear about how bad our team is for a week.

we played like complete sh** and lost by 1 score to one of the best teams in the league in their field. we didnt do anything right and had zero rythm and had a chance to win if a stupidass ref could see a ball go over a line.

Sections
Shortcuts