Why No Love For Hooman?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Why No Love For Hooman?

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Before Gronk, I think the last pass catching TE would have been Coats? Other than that, the rest were used as blockers or qb protection.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Does Watson from 04-09 not count? That's 04 -> present with a pass catching TE, more than the years with out one in BB era's

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Iresponse to PatsEng's comment:

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What is your point?

We didn't have 2 of the best CB's in the league or safeties in the league, then invest in them as 2 of the highest paid in the league, then watch 1 of them kill someone and the other have a terrible bad luck run of injures (unless you think his injuries could have been predicted/avoided which is comical at best).

That did happen to our TE position though. It was the corner stone of our offense and both guys were taken away from us. It wasn't poor planning on the GM's part....it was shtty luck. Now due to a "salary cap" and the restraints of a 53 man roster we cannot just go out and sign coveted FA TE's, coax Tony G out of retirement or trade 3 1st round picks for Jimmy Graham. It isn't feasible.  Instead we bolstered the other receiving options on the team, loaded up the o line, stacked the RB depth chart, and re signed Hoomy who is an important blocker in our system.

[object HTMLDivElement]

The point is you are tossing around $100mil as if it was some great feat that other teams need to fear and that's the reason not to continue to invest in the position, while BB has shown that no matter how much resources are invested if the position needs to be enhanced he'll continue to use resources towards that end. So, your whole sarcastic argument of $100mil means absolutely nothing in terms of both effecting on field performance and resources spent prior does effecting BB's willingness to spend more resources to improve the position further.

I also could be wrong but didn't Hern get booted off the team last year? I didn't know you had to wait a full year + before replacing a player so no you can't use Hernandez as an excuse not to adjust something for this year. It does not work. If the TE position is an issue again this year it's completely fair to criticize the FO for not taking care of it this off season regardless how many times Hernandez drops the soap.

Again True, I know you don't believe history can teach us anything and probabilities based on past history are some form of voodoo but while you can't predict specific injures or when they will occur you can make an educated guess as to if a player with a injury history will miss time through the season. Most all teams do this, which is why durability is even a metric used in the drafting process to begin with! Though it's convenient just to toss out the whole just bad luck line. It's like trying to prove a negative, you are never wrong saying a butterfly in China caused a breeze that eventually caused Gronk to get injured. It couldn't have anything to do with how he plays the game, possible physical conditions like slightly weaker bone structure, or previous issues that have histories of re-occurrence like back problems. It was the bad luck and a butterfly because those can't be proven one way or another, kind of like lighting is caused by Thor battling giants.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I'll be honest, I didnt read your post past the opening paragraph.  I dont know why you would think I posted the hern and gronk contracts as if it would 'scare other teams"? I dont know what that means.

My point is that when you already have 2 of the highest paid TR's in the league you cannot simply go pay for a vet FA. It isn't feasible.

Try and keep it to football talk. Maybe you did as I didn't read your post, but knowing you...I doubt it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

I'll be honest, I didnt read your post past the opening paragraph.  I dont know why you would think I posted the hern and gronk contracts as if it would 'scare other teams"? I dont know what that means.

My point is that when you already have 2 of the highest paid TR's in the league you cannot simply go pay for a vet FA. It isn't feasible.

Try and keep it to football talk. Maybe you did as I didn't read your post, but knowing you...I doubt it.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I do keep it to football. Unlike some I don't add a sarcastic comment that adds nothing to the discussion just because. Maybe you should take your own advice.

My point is you do if 1's in jail and the other only gives you 3/4 of a season at a time. Just because you failed to recognize red flags other teams did doesn't mean you stop trying to improve the position. I'm glad BB doesn't follow your thinking otherwise we wouldn't have Browner and Revis with all the resources he spent at that position.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE]

Before Gronk, I think the last pass catching TE would have been Coats? Other than that, the rest were used as blockers or qb protection.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Does Watson from 04-09 not count? That's 04 -> present with a pass catching TE, more than the years with out one in BB era's

[/QUOTE]

Oh, yeah. I forgot about Ben Watson. I was disappointed in him as a pass catcher. Altho I was impressed when he ran a db down and tackled him

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I do keep it to football. Unlike some I don't add a sarcastic comment that adds nothing to the discussion just because. Maybe you should take your own advice.

My point is you do if 1's in jail and the other only gives you 3/4 of a season at a time. Just because you failed to recognize red flags other teams did doesn't mean you stop trying to improve the position. I'm glad BB doesn't follow your thinking otherwise we wouldn't have Browner and Revis with all the resources he spent at that position.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Because he went out and added to an already amazing team by getting Revis and browner, he can't ignore the cap and go pay a 3rd TE another few million. He already pays out the highest in the league to the position, more money allocated to the TE position in N.E then 31 other teams. We have the best QB, one of the best o lines, a deep run game, 6 promising receivers, the best TE, potentially the best starting line backing core in the league, a big strong front 7 with 2 proven pass rushers coming off the edge and the right mixture of more 1st round talent in Easley, the deepest secondary in the league imo, and a stud FS. 

Pretty great team...again.

Enjoy the game tonight....or try to at least.

P.S If Welker could have held onto a tough ball or Nink didn't jump off sides those 2 red flag players your refer to with such spite would have been largely responsible for winning us a 4rth Lombardi in 2011. Perhaps you as a fan should be grateful BB knows talent and gets it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Because he went out and added to an already amazing team by getting Revis and browner, he can't ignore the cap and go pay a 3rd TE another few million. He already pays out the highest in the league to the position, more money allocated to the TE position in N.E then 31 other teams. We have the best QB, one of the best o lines, a deep run game, 6 promising receivers, the best TE, potentially the best starting line backing core in the league, a big strong front 7 with 2 proven pass rushers coming off the edge and the right mixture of more 1st round talent in Easley, the deepest secondary in the league imo, and a stud FS. 

Pretty great team...again.

Enjoy the game tonight....or try to at least.

P.S If Welker could have held onto a tough ball or Nink didn't jump off sides those 2 red flag players your refer to with such spite would have been largely responsible for winning us a 4rth Lombardi in 2011. Perhaps you as a fan should be grateful BB knows talent and gets it.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

And if those two players actually played and were healthy (wasn't the red flag on one of them injury history?) in those games we'd have 2 more SBs too but nether happened so sadly rewriting history doesn't work.

Btw how much cap space do we have? If it's more than $4 mil then explain again why we couldn't get another vet TE if it gives us a better shot at winning a SB this year? And yes, I'm counting on leaving some left over for in season in case of injury I'm not suggesting spend to the last dollar.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's a serviceable back-up.  I think he's actually more a receiving type TE than a blocking type, but he's really just adequate at both.  He's okay as a back-up, though, and would be a very solid third TE.  

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I agree a very solid #3 TE for sure, but he's more a receiving TE than a blocking TE? Pro, if averaging less than a rec a game and less than 1 TD a season means he's more a receiving TE then what do you honestly think of his blocking ability?

[/QUOTE]

Personally, I think he's a rather so-so blocker.  I know he has a reputation of being a good blocker, but on the plays I've watched his blocking closely (admittedly a small sample) I actually haven't been overly impressed.  He doesn't run great routes, but I do think he's made some nice catches when targeted. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hooman is a great blocking TE and can lead block in the red zone for run plays. Good player.

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

"Great" is a bit of an exaggeration, I think.  Daniel Graham, Alge Crumpler, Gronk--those are great blockers.  Hommanawanui is just adequate.  That's why he's a back-up.  Not a bad back-up, mind you, but still a back-up.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement] 

He's a back up because he plays behind the best TE in the game. Just because a TE doesn't run routes all day and catch 50 balls doesn't mean he isn't good. It means he has a different job function....like blocking.

[/QUOTE]

You're not implying he'd start on any other team, I hope. He'd be a back-up on most teams, I think. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Hoom is injured and didn't play.  He's been injured since late July.  He missed training camp.  What if he's still injured in two weeks?

If a blocking tight end is that important, use Nate Solder.  He's the best run-blocking tight end since sliced bread.

He happens to have pretty good forward acceleration for a 320 pound guy, 55 pounds more than Gronkowski.  He's 6 foot 8, two inches more than Gronk, he has 35 1/2" arms, 1 1/4 inches more than Gronk, and he leaps 32 inches.   That's a monster target on the back edge of the end zone.  Bonus if he can body some teeny weeny little defender out.  Plus, Solder played tight end in college and he has played tight end in camp this year.  He has learned his tackle position and now he has time to learn to run rudimentary routes and catch.  Yes, any linebacker in the league can keep up with Solder, but how do you cover anything that huge?  With a tarp from Job Lot?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hooman is a great blocking TE and can lead block in the red zone for run plays. Good player.

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

"Great" is a bit of an exaggeration, I think.  Daniel Graham, Alge Crumpler, Gronk--those are great blockers.  Hommanawanui is just adequate.  That's why he's a back-up.  Not a bad back-up, mind you, but still a back-up.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement] 

He's a back up because he plays behind the best TE in the game. Just because a TE doesn't run routes all day and catch 50 balls doesn't mean he isn't good. It means he has a different job function....like blocking.

[/QUOTE]

You're not implying he'd start on any other team, I hope. He'd be a back-up on most teams, I think. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

No, I am stating that he won the 2nd TE spot in N.E and that is an important position in our offense. He is the back up to the best TE in the game who has battled injury the last 2 seasons(he isn;t going to beat out Gronk as the starter or would he have Hern as the #2, who would have?)

BB(the coach who coaches Hoomy) obviously feels he is a good TE and signed him to an extension(as the GM blah blah) and the games I saw(a limited sample size as you say) he looked pretty good lead blocking a s FB and fighting off Lbers on screens and run plays.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

this Gronk being injury prone keeps getting way way way overstated

gronks first Pats injury was also his second injury coz he came back too soon

Last years injury was a helmet to the knee that no football player anywhere or anytime could have survived, I also believe it was intentional and very dirty

As far as hook catching the ball, he has decent hands, but we have no idea how the offense is schemed when he is in

An interesting note, on one of last notes td. Drives, there wasn't a TE on the entire drive

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

He's a complete waste of a roster spot. He's a one trick pony that can be replaced by a reserve O-lineman that can do a better job of blocking.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's a complete waste of a roster spot. He's a one trick pony that can be replaced by a reserve O-lineman that can do a better job of blocking.

[/QUOTE]

So, your opinion is that the team only needs one real tightend who happens to be recovering from a serious injury.

Alrighty then. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

[QUOTE]

Crumpler was a better Blocker. 

[/QUOTE]

He lived up to his name for sure. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

He's a marginal player at best. If the Pats are counting on him to play significant snaps, it's not a good thing.

...the King of the Rumba Beat...

Sections
Shortcuts