Why not grab another Corner Back (Nnamdi Asomugha) through trade or otherwise?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

Why not grab another Corner Back (Nnamdi Asomugha) through trade or otherwise?

I read on a post somewhere about the possibility of the Patriots getting Nnamdi Asomugha. Here is a guy who's been hurt a little bit this year but otherwise not playing up to his ability in Oakland. Why not trade for this guy and leave the offense alone?  Leigh Bodden is the only Pat doing anything in the seconday and I'm sure he could use some help. The Pats have one leader on the stat board for DBs and that's Bodden with 24 tackles and 4 passes defensed and that's it. Merriweather has 34 tackles but only 2 passed defensed.  The Pats need guys who can tackle and defense the pass and get interceptions. Guess how many interceptions this group has in five games - 2!

Why not hit up Uncle Al for another one of his lemon players?
    If not Asomugha who else could they get?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: Why not grab another Corner Back (Nnamdi Asomugha) through trade or otherwise?

The thing is Asamogha has a one year (i think) franchise deal with the Raiders who might have to decide whether or not they want to franchise him or Seymour at season's end. Technically, we could keep the 1st we got from the Raiders in 2011 and sign Seymour or Asmogha....unless I completely wrong about the deal Asmougha got from the Raiders. Either way Uncle Al might MIGHT be leary of dealing with Patriots...for obvious reasons...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Re: Why not grab another Corner Back (Nnamdi Asomugha) through trade or otherwise?

If we are gonna make a deal it has to be for a RB. The Raiders have 3 good RBs so I would much rather make a play for McFadden or one of tehir other young RBs then grab a CB when our DBs are playing well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Leigh Bodden is good, but only Patriot doing anything in the secondary?

You must not be watching games.  Meriweather and McGowan have been great at the safety spots.

Springs has been solid, and Butler is starting to emerge as a corner.

The Patriots need a pass rush, not more cover guys.  Especially not $15 million a year cover guys.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Pass rush and running game that is what we need.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

In Response to Re: Why not grab another Corner Back (Nnamdi Asomugha) through trade or otherwise?:
    [QUOTE]Leigh Bodden is good, but only Patriot doing anything in the secondary? You must not be watching games.  Meriweather and McGowan have been great at the safety spots. Springs has been solid, and Butler is starting to emerge as a corner. The Patriots need a pass rush, not more cover guys.  Especially not $15 million a year cover guys.
    Posted by pyegian[/QUOTE]

I would agree if you said that the secondary is better than last year but that's as far as I'm going there. Meriweather and McGowan may tackle well but they need guys to defense the pass. I think one more good corner and the defense is all set. Let's face it, they're not going to be able to get a pass rusher at this point; that's not even possible. I think its more likely to find a good corner even a renter for a year than a good pass rusher.  As for RB I don't think there's anyone decent available. Who do you think would help the Pats? Poor rushing is a symptom not a problem; no holes to run through is the problem. IMO good coverage gives the pass rush a chance to work. If its hard to throw against the defense you'll bring in extra receivers which results in less time to throw or you'll bring in more guys to protect to give the receivers extra time to get open. Either way its a win win. I'm not with you that a RB fixes the offense and that there is a pass rusher out there decent that the Pats can have.  I guess I live in the real world.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

In Response to Why not grab another Corner Back (Nnamdi Asomugha) through trade or otherwise?:
    [QUOTE]I read on a post somewhere about the possibility of the Patriots getting Nnamdi Asomugha. Here is a guy who's been hurt a little bit this year but otherwise not playing up to his ability in Oakland. Why not trade for this guy and leave the offense alone?  Leigh Bodden is the only Pat doing anything in the seconday and I'm sure he could use some help. The Pats have one leader on the stat board for DBs and that's Bodden with 24 tackles and 4 passes defensed and that's it. Merriweather has 34 tackles but only 2 passed defensed.  The Pats need guys who can tackle and defense the pass and get interceptions. Guess how many interceptions this group has in five games - 2! Why not hit up Uncle Al for another one of his lemon players? If not Asomugha who else could they get?
    Posted by TheFantasyBaron[/QUOTE]

1.) Oakland won't let him go.
    2.) DB isn't the problem. Pass rush scheming is.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

RUNNING BACK!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Cap Space.  The contract is $45 million for 3 years.

If it's possible, then I certainly wouldn't object to adding one of the best players in the league.  Having him delete a receiver from play would enable the Patriots to scheme and blitz more often.

Maybe we could give them their 2011 pick back... it would be like trading one year of Seymour for three years of Asomugha.  And please don't tell us to consider it from Al Davis' perspective, because quite frankly I don't think anyone knows what exactly that encompasses.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Irkillendem. Show Irkillendem's posts

Oh yeah, they're going to trade us the top Corner in the league. Then why don't we trade for Asante Samuel and get Champ Bailey as our nickle corner, hmm?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Thanks Nick, Wan't sure about Asmougha's contract not being a Patriot and all. Don't we have enough free agents in 2010 ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Why does every Patriot loss turn into other NFL teams wanting to trade their best player to NE.........?

The guy is by all accounts a top 5 CB (maybe the best) in football.......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

Great can he hit Moss and Welker when they are wide open?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikec645. Show mikec645's posts

they don't need DB's, they will develop their younger guys 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nykrb. Show nykrb's posts

What they should hit the Raiders up for is one of the RBs they have:
    Darren McFadden
    Justin Fargas
    Michael Bush

Send them Maroney, and a 6th round pick... ANYTHING to help improve the running game and get Ds to respect the run.

As far as CBs go... the Pats have Bodden, Springs, Wilhite, Butler... thats plenty good.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimKe. Show JimKe's posts

In Response to Re: Why not grab another Corner Back (Nnamdi Asomugha) through trade or otherwise?:
    [QUOTE]Pass rush and running game that is what we need.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009[/QUOTE]

How about a wide receiver?  One who can catch the ball and catch

it with his feet in bounds.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

i would only trade for nnamdi asomugha if he would sign a contract... otherwise its not worth it. Bodden most likely will be gone after this season, and im sure nnamdi wants to test the market during a non cap year..
    he is a great talent, and i was hoping to get him in the trade during the offseason, but i think this team is set now, and there probably will not be any major trade.
    And def. NO to trading for RB, i dont think our line is that great for run blocking.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nykrb. Show nykrb's posts

[QUOTE]i would only trade for nnamdi asomugha if he would sign a contract... otherwise its not worth it. Bodden most likely will be gone after this season, and im sure nnamdi wants to test the market during a non cap year.. he is a great talent, and i was hoping to get him in the trade during the offseason, but i think this team is set now, and there probably will not be any major trade. And def. NO to trading for RB, i dont think our line is that great for run blocking.
    Posted by Coolguy55220[/QUOTE]

a) Asomugha signed a huge contract already

b) If the Patriot's O-line can't block, how the heck were they able to run so well last season without Brady and without Maroney?

Facts have a way of killing some arguments ;)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Yeah, Asomugha signed a big one this off season.  BUT I would love it if we could get him.  Man can cover.  I was a bit upset we didnt get Sheppard.  Safeties look pretty good to me with Mcgowan in, and Bodden is good.  Springs ok, but they play off too much for me.  I think our running game is good, and i think we dont get pressure due to scheme, not personnel.  Look at the Jets.  They get pressure.  They also get gashed.  It seems to be a BB preference to collapse the pocket rather than spearing a guy in since the LBs changed.  Whatever, but 3rd and long MUST get fixed.  2 years now, I can almost count on 3rd and longs getting converted by the other team outside the red area.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

yea why not pick up demarcus ware, and james harrison while were at it, stupidest post ever lol Nnamdi Asomugha is the best player on the raiders team, no way they let him go, plus he would cost too much $ and we still need to re-sign Wilfork, Mankins and most importantly Tom Brady!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mario11. Show mario11's posts

If we wouldn't give Asante 6 to 7 mil what makes anyone think that we would pay Nnamdi upwards of 15 mil.  Come on people lets ge real

Also what value would Maroney have in a trade?  That's right- NOTHING

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In no specific order their needs are:Rb,OL,WR,b/u QB..Don Pees needs to change the coverage scheme!!! A 7 yard cushion does absolutely nothing to prevent the opposition from going downfield by way of the dink and dunk pass...Seau will help because they can now concentrate on using the 3-4 again,the personel didn't perform well in the 4-3....McGowan has been a stud at SS,and Merriweather has grown by leaps and bounds from last year....Chung and Butler are closing the gap and will be pressing for playing time...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

The last two posts are really solid. These "fan forums" tend to get a little carried away when it comes to acquiring new players. We can dream all we want, but the NFL is a business, and certain rules have to be followed, starting with common sense. Calling for upgrades at every position is easy to say when you're pecking away at a computer; making them happen is a completely different subject.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Achainsaw. Show Achainsaw's posts

[QUOTE]The thing is Asamogha has a one year (i think) franchise deal with the Raiders who might have to decide whether or not they want to franchise him or Seymour at season's end. Technically, we could keep the 1st we got from the Raiders in 2011 and sign Seymour or Asmogha....unless I completely wrong about the deal Asmougha got from the Raiders. Either way Uncle Al might MIGHT be leary of dealing with Patriots...for obvious reasons...
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

Bet Seymour has dropped his price some. Don't hear too much complaining from Wilfork since that happened. But if Al doesn't let himself get suckered by BB anymore, then where does BB send the next player he gets ticked at and wants to shove it up their @ss? 

P.S.---how many CFL teams you think could beat the Raiders?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Irkillendem. Show Irkillendem's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why not grab another Corner Back (Nnamdi Asomugha) through trade or otherwise? : b) If the Patriot's O-line can't block, how the heck were they able to run so well last season without Brady and without Maroney? Facts have a way of killing some arguments ;)
    Posted by nykrb[/QUOTE]

Looooooool. One year can make alot of difference in football and the monster o-line the pat's were supposed to have with those probowlers has looked pretty average this year to me.

Sections
Shortcuts