Why running matters...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Why running matters...

Do I really need to point out the obvious?  How many TD's would Tommy had because of play action and that sweet looking run game, starting with Lloyd getting turned around on that perfection of play action example from the opening drive.

Somebody asked prior to today's game what we wanted to see in this one, overwhelming run game and a well rested, attacking defense; they go together so so well.

PS we have the best defense in the league, yeah I said it...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Re: Why running matters...

In response to wozzy's comment:

Do I really need to point out the obvious?  How many TD's would Tommy had because of play action and that sweet looking run game, starting with Lloyd getting turned around on that perfection of play action example from the opening drive.

Somebody asked prior to today's game what we wanted to see in this one, overwhelming run game and a well rested, attacking defense; they go together so so well.

+1,  best run D in the league, anyway!!!

Nice to see that today.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Best everything on D!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

I hope you are right.  Sounds like another trip to the big show!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

We've been over this a number of times. When the run is being effective you do it more.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Run defense was phenomenal.  Holding Johnson to 4 yards on 11 carries (lowest by far of his career) was truly not even dreamed of.  Would have liked to see a little more pressure on QB, but they did get there so I can't complain too much.  Secondary still needs to tighten up.

As far as our run game, wow, BJGE who???  Ridley is what we've been lacking for too long and as long as he can stay healthy will open up a lot of options for both the rest of the offense, and the defense.  Teams that want to load up in the secondary to beat us (as in the past) are in for a serious dilema. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:

Run defense was phenomenal.  Holding Johnson to 4 yards on 11 carries (lowest by far of his career) was truly not even dreamed of.  Would have liked to see a little more pressure on QB, but they did get there so I can't complain too much.  Secondary still needs to tighten up.

As far as our run game, wow, BJGE who???  Ridley is what we've been lacking for too long and as long as he can stay healthy will open up a lot of options for both the rest of the offense, and the defense.  Teams that want to load up in the secondary to beat us (as in the past) are in for a serious dilema. 

Totally Agree!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Yeah we ran a lot of 3 tightend sets and I Formation over the last 5 years, I just forgot...

I'm not going to get into it with you booob.   Josh McDaniel's is light years ahead of O'Brien, be it with Laurence Maroney or with Ridely, he's just better. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Having a productive back and a good D matters.
    Then your QB doesn't HAVE to throw 40 times.
    Much improved in both aspects.
    So far so good!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheSalmon. Show TheSalmon's posts

Yea.  Had to get Sunday Ticket anyway...

Was excited to see the running game working well.  Ridley was a sight for sore eyes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

It was good to see the D step up their game...Even though on every 3rd and long I was not so confident we'll make the stop...better than last year opener that's for sure....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Ridley is looking very good.  Much quicker than BJGE and doesn't go down on initial contact.  Defenses are going to have to game plan for him.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

In response to leonardo0110's comment:

It was good to see the D step up their game...Even though on every 3rd and long I was not so confident we'll make the stop...better than last year opener that's for sure....

3rd and long is a biggest weakness on this team... the defensive back field still havn't come together on pssing downs.  Hopefully over the season they will improve.

I have to say though a good running game did help the Pats controll the game and TOP.  It was a wonderfull sight.

I loved the playcalling today by McD.  It seemed like we had great sucess running up the middle and the left.  Right side was weak on run blocking.  When it came to pass blocking the left seemed to be the weak area.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

You could see with the change in personel and some of the things that they did in the pre-season that this was going to be a much different offense than what we have had the past couple of years. Mcdaniels is light years ahead of Obrien, Ridley is a number one back, the play action was leaving guys wide open all over the field. 

A balanced offense,a great defense, and a top 3 quarterback in the league. All of that with the best coach in the NFL. Looks good 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheSalmon. Show TheSalmon's posts

Couple times guys were wide open against the Pats secondary and Locker just missed em. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Running works when you have a talent like Ridley back there.  It doesn't with the last 2 duds we had at the position. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Running works when you have a talent like Ridley back there.  It doesn't with the last 2 duds we had at the position. 

+1, Ridley looked great.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Personnel.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Yah Lawfirm did not have the burst or any break away speed... Hw was just a serviceable back.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

if we had cbs id put us top 5.
    our cbs are weak

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I don't want to call Law Firm a dud.  He was serviceable, and as reliable for short yardage and ball control as they come.  He racked up a very respectable amount of TD's while here as well.  But, he was not a back that instilled fear in the opposing defense or one they needed to seriously game plan for.  Ridley is by far an away the more explosive of the two, and I'm certainly glad he's the one now here and starting for us. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

if we had cbs id put us top 5.
    our cbs are weak

[/QUOTE]

Ridiculous, McCourty and Ras are studs, Arrington while not overly athletic is a great slot guy.  The D played really well today, especially impressed with Gregory and Wilson.  Huge upgrade at our only defensive backfield weakness; free safety.  Our defense is young, athletic and man they hit to hurt people.  Love it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

This game was a good case for why running does matter - though you have to have the talent to really pull it off as well, both on the offensive line and in the running game itself. The talent part has been overlooked a bit by the "we need to run it more gang." That said, it was good to see the running game going very well today. I think the team and coaches now realize they need to treat Brady a bit more like Shanahan did Elway in his last winning years there - though obviously Brady has a bit more in the tank and Ridley is not Terrell Davis...but: a variation on that approach is welcome.

That said this was also a key game for those who believe that a better defense is also a key to a Super Bowl winning season. 

I'm not sure why one point has to be more right than the other? 

Wozzy I'm not as confident in our secondary or our pass coverage yet, want to see them tested more but the run D was awesome and I loved the speed and playmaking. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

It was great to see Ridley running the ball in the 4th quarter, moving the chains and killing the clock. It brings me back to the days of Corey Dillon, the Patriots would have the lead in the 4th and he would run the ball and kill the clock while moving the chains.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

This game was a good case for why running does matter - though you have to have the talent to really pull it off as well, both on the offensive line and in the running game itself. The talent part has been overlooked a bit by the "we need to run it more gang." That said, it was good to see the running game going very well today. I think the team and coaches now realize they need to treat Brady a bit more like Shanahan did Elway in his last winning years there - though obviously Brady has a bit more in the tank and Ridley is not Terrell Davis...but: a variation on that approach is welcome.

That said this was also a key game for those who believe that a better defense is also a key to a Super Bowl winning season. 

I'm not sure why one point has to be more right than the other? 

Wozzy I'm not as confident in our secondary or our pass coverage yet, want to see them tested more but the run D was awesome and I loved the speed and playmaking. 

Well said, all of it!

Sections
Shortcuts