Why running matters...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Re: Why running matters...

In response to TheSalmon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Couple times guys were wide open against the Pats secondary and Locker just missed em. 

[/QUOTE]

Because he heard the footsteps of Jones and company getting ready to crush him

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheSalmon. Show TheSalmon's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TheSalmon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Couple times guys were wide open against the Pats secondary and Locker just missed em. 

[/QUOTE]

Because he heard the footsteps of Jones and company getting ready to crush him

[/QUOTE]

Yea you're probably right.

Nice hit by Mayo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

if we had cbs id put us top 5.
    our cbs are weak

[/QUOTE]

Ridiculous, McCourty and Ras are studs, Arrington while not overly athletic is a great slot guy.  The D played really well today, especially impressed with Gregory and Wilson.  Huge upgrade at our only defensive backfield weakness; free safety.  Our defense is young, athletic and man they hit to hurt people.  Love it.

[/QUOTE]

we seriously disagree.
    backs to the qb
    pass int plays (luckily not called)
    poor technique.

and you will find sports writers everywhere also picking them apart.

they are not even good at this point, never mind studs

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

arrington also got beat plenty in this game

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The front seven is awesome against the run and got decent pressure in the passing game.  LBs were mixed in pass coverage.  DBs seem to still be a work in progress to me, but I think they'll keep getting better with some time together and will be much better than last year's group.  I thought McCourty mostly looked pretty good today.  I also think Wilson is going to prove to be a player. Dowling needs playing time--he hasn't had a lot of NFL experience--and he was a bit up and down this game, I thought.  Arrington is who he is . . . Chung is a hard hitter--not sure he's all that great in coverage though.  

On offense the combination of Lloyd and Ridley gives us two dimensions we didn't have last year.  We now have a perimeter passing threat and a running threat that both need to be respected. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

We've been over this a number of times. When the run is being effective you do it more.

And when it wasn't effective they still ran. You really are incapable of giving any credit that doesn't go to Brady aren't you.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

The front seven defense is for real.  Thank god they are young, because they still can't defend the pass very well.  They still give up too many long drives and thus, ToP.  That is still a problem...but it's the first game, and hopefully will improve.

Other than that...i liked the commitment to the running game by McDaniels.  Let other guys around Brady make something happen.  Let the offensive line be offensive...and not defensive in protection.  The less Brady has to bear the burden of being the ENTIRE offense, the better chance we have of seeing stupid and forced throws.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

The front seven is awesome against the run and got decent pressure in the passing game.  LBs were mixed in pass coverage.  DBs seem to still be a work in progress to me, but I think they'll keep getting better with some time together and will be much better than last year's group.  I thought McCourty mostly looked pretty good today.  I also think Wilson is going to prove to be a player. Dowling needs playing time--he hasn't had a lot of NFL experience--and he was a bit up and down this game, I thought.  Arrington is who he is . . . Chung is a hard hitter--not sure he's all that great in coverage though.  

On offense the combination of Lloyd and Ridley gives us two dimensions we didn't have last year.  We now have a perimeter passing threat and a running threat that both need to be respected. 

Yeah, good call.. That front 7 was awesome today. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

miss the edit button:

Other than that...i liked the commitment to the running game by McDaniels.  Let other guys around Brady make something happen.  Let the offensive line be offensive...and not defensive in protection.  The less Brady has to bear the burden of being the ENTIRE offense, the less chance we have of seeing bad, stupid, and forced throws.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I thought the key to the running game was Gronkowski's blocking to seal off his lane numerous times. I had Gronk labeled a fair blocking TE at best, but today he really stood out as having a great game blocking. 

I thought Wendell was ok.Titans not big on he DL, so he held his own. Still have concerns against stout Dlines. 

I like Cannon rotating in at T. Suppose at this point it is needed as Vollmer is not ready to play full time. Force feed Cannon and see what develops. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

This thread should read...Why having a decent runner allows you to run more and better. It's amazing what a difference it is to have a runner that doesn't have to build up a head of steam to break tackles and gain yardage. It also makes a world of difference when that runner doesn't lose all speed and momentum after he has to make a cut. In a perfect world Benny and our running game would of been awesome if he never had to make a cut or meet a linebacker at the line of scrimmage.

Good game today...good balance...and great run defense by some of the biggest linebackers in the NFL. All we need is the offensive line to get better and to stay healthy...I love Wilfork, but I get scared seeing him play so much.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Do I really need to point out the obvious?  How many TD's would Tommy had because of play action and that sweet looking run game, starting with Lloyd getting turned around on that perfection of play action example from the opening drive.

Somebody asked prior to today's game what we wanted to see in this one, overwhelming run game and a well rested, attacking defense; they go together so so well.

PS we have the best defense in the league, yeah I said it...

Agreed, Ridley earned his supper today. No doubt it was huge today.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

we seriously disagree.
    backs to the qb
    pass int plays (luckily not called)
    poor technique.

and you will find sports writers everywhere also picking them apart.

they are not even good at this point, never mind studs

[/QUOTE]

Pass interference is called in every game numerous times and against the league's best corners.  

These same terrible corners led the league in interceptions two years ago and were 2nd last year.  

Ras started opening day across from DMC as a rookie before getting hurt, any clue how hard that is for a rookie?

Chung, Gregory and Wilson played like heat seeking missiles today, safety was the only weak link in our backfield last year besides the lack of pressure upfront and that problem has been thouroughly dealt with.

The Titans were 5-14 on third downs today, a pretty good young QB got beat around, picked off, only averaged 5.9 yards a pass and Tavon Wilson bent their best WR back like a pretzel.  Whoever says Wilson was a bad pick now look silly, the kid is a baller.  

Backs to the QB?  Down in the endzone that is how they're taught, blanket the receiver.  DMC made a brilliant play in the endzone without bothering to look back.  

Arrington got beat once obviously on a third down conversion, after that he was moved back into his more natural slot position and he played well.  Devin McCourty played like the All Pro corner that he is.

The Titans only scored one TD all day, I seriously wonder if you'd know good defensive backfield play if you saw it, because this is a serious case of nitpicking.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Also just in case nobody was paying attention Stevan Ridely was on this team all last year as well, the Pat's didn't use him besides one game early in the year against the Raiders as a back up to Law Firm.  

They didn't run, they didn't line up I Formation and pound the rock.  Anyone pretending there isn't a palpable difference between how Josh calls a game VS. Obie is seeing what they want to see to keep their previous flawed ideas afloat.  

When Woodhead came in this game they continued to pound the rock, he was on the team last year as well...  33 carries for the runningbacks is balance, something we've desperately needed and play action doesn't work without the run game.  Josh McDaniel's is the answer...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

The Titans did only score a single TD today...you're 100% correct.  But even going into the half, the Titans had a fairly large ToP advantage.  That tells me that someone is giving up way too many long 70-80 yard drives...consisting of too many third down conversions.

On a day like today, it's nitpicking and something I think we'll see improve...at least I hope so.  They have to stop giving up 10-15 play drives and get the heck off the field on third and long.  ToP will kill us in the big games....putting pressure on Brady to score every time he gets the ball (which won't be nearly as much).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The Pat's won the time of possesion.

This defense will be "bend don't break" until BB retires, people have to learn to accept this.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Ridley is looking very good.  Much quicker than BJGE and doesn't go down on initial contact.  Defenses are going to have to game plan for him.  

Ridley has a lot more power. And more speed. And better balance. And better vision. 

NE actually attacked with perimeter runs. Ridley never ran into the back of his blocker. 

BJGE was terrible. His one skill was not fumbling. 

As Bill himself said ... you run more when the run is effective. If Benny were in there ... they wouldn't have run as well, and would have been forced to pass more. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ridley is looking very good.  Much quicker than BJGE and doesn't go down on initial contact.  Defenses are going to have to game plan for him.  

Ridley has a lot more power. And more speed. And better balance. And better vision. 

NE actually attacked with perimeter runs. Ridley never ran into the back of his blocker. 

BJGE was terrible. His one skill was not fumbling. 

As Bill himself said ... you run more when the run is effective. If Benny were in there ... they wouldn't have run as well, and would have been forced to pass more. 

[/QUOTE]

z i believe you were 1 person on ridley before me before he even played a preseason game. 
    1st presseason game was all i needed to know what he could be. which i documented well on this board last preseason. if bb were not so old school on some thngs, ridley would have tore it up last year and in the playoffs (if he stayed healthy)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Ytsejamer1's comment:

The Titans did only score a single TD today...you're 100% correct.  But even going into the half, the Titans had a fairly large ToP advantage.  That tells me that someone is giving up way too many long 70-80 yard drives...consisting of too many third down conversions.

On a day like today, it's nitpicking and something I think we'll see improve...at least I hope so.  They have to stop giving up 10-15 play drives and get the heck off the field on third and long.  ToP will kill us in the big games....putting pressure on Brady to score every time he gets the ball (which won't be nearly as much).

its a zero - sum game. teh front 7 is so good, we have a good shot on each play.
    but the cbs are not great at defending passes (though good at tackling) which can allow for extended drives

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

This thread should read...Why having a decent runner allows you to run more and better. It's amazing what a difference it is to have a runner that doesn't have to build up a head of steam to break tackles and gain yardage. It also makes a world of difference when that runner doesn't lose all speed and momentum after he has to make a cut. In a perfect world Benny and our running game would of been awesome if he never had to make a cut or meet a linebacker at the line of scrimmage.

Good game today...good balance...and great run defense by some of the biggest linebackers in the NFL. All we need is the offensive line to get better and to stay healthy...I love Wilfork, but I get scared seeing him play so much.

i hear ya, i woul love to get another top tackle.
    short of that tackle is a bit weak. ditto cb (moreso)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I thought the key to the running game was Gronkowski's blocking to seal off his lane numerous times. I had Gronk labeled a fair blocking TE at best, but today he really stood out as having a great game blocking. 

I thought Wendell was ok.Titans not big on he DL, so he held his own. Still have concerns against stout Dlines. 

I like Cannon rotating in at T. Suppose at this point it is needed as Vollmer is not ready to play full time. Force feed Cannon and see what develops. 

------

gronk is a +10 run blocker and a plus 2.2 pass blocker
    meaning hes outstanding at run blocking, but if he worked on it, his pass blocking could be equally out of this world, instead of just good.

cannon made some nicve blocks in the run i noticed

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

" On offense the combination of Lloyd and Ridley gives us two dimensions we didn't have last year.  We now have a perimeter passing threat and a running threat that both need to be respected. "

pro this is what i have been saying all offseason (since we got lloyd)

agree with the firt paragraph as well
    was noting a time or 2 that i wish we had carpenter in coverage.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I was disappointed when I saw Brady only throwing for 236 or so yards, but then I realized it was because he actually had a running game and didn't need to throw 60 times for 500 yards to win 45-34. That is a GOOD thing. I'd gladly trade some of the gawdy numbers for a better run game and D.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Also just in case nobody was paying attention Stevan Ridely was on this team all last year as well, the Pat's didn't use him besides one game early in the year against the Raiders as a back up to Law Firm.  

They didn't run, they didn't line up I Formation and pound the rock.  Anyone pretending there isn't a palpable difference between how Josh calls a game VS. Obie is seeing what they want to see to keep their previous flawed ideas afloat.  

When Woodhead came in this game they continued to pound the rock, he was on the team last year as well...  33 carries for the runningbacks is balance, something we've desperately needed and play action doesn't work without the run game.  Josh McDaniel's is the answer...

Its like night and day, the difference between Josh and Obrien. This is a huge upgrade in coaching.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

It was nice to see Ridley running the ball. As serviceable as BJGE was, he averages about 4 per carry today, and has NONE of those electrifying runs.

Running makes everything easier, those safeties looked awfully bad a lot of the time, and woud;ve looked worse had Lloyd not forgotten how to run forward, and Welker caught the one that tagged his forehead.