Why Such Doubt?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Why Such Doubt?

I feel so much doubt coming from analysts about our team.

I realize that our young players are unproven, but we have a lot of talent. McCourty and Butler are young, athletic, well-coached, and both looked great in the preseason. Meriweather is a pro-bowler, and Chung is a missile. 

Is our secondary young? Sure - but they're also full of potential.

Then we have our front 7. I just heard Bruschi rambling on about how we're too small up-front, and how the physical Bengals will blow us off the line. Well, we have Wilfork anchoring the d-line, and that's one big boy. Then we have Gerard Warren on one end, who is 330 lbs! That's huge for a 3-4 DE. Then we have Mike Wright and Ron Brace at the other end. Wright is a bit small, but Brace is about 330 lbs too. If you compared our d-line now, to the one last year, I'd say that we've gotten bigger. Then we have the LBs. Well, we still have Mayo, who is a tackling machine. Then we added Spikes, who is a big, physical thumper - big upgrade over Guyton here. We then have TB-C at one OLB'er spot. Yeah, he isn't the biggest player, but he's really developed into a solid player out there. No change from last year. Then you have Cunningham or Murrell. Cunningham is a bit bigger than Adalius Thomas, and Murrell is about the same size. Both have much better attitudes, and should be much better players.

So what I'm getting at here, is that this team has gotten much bigger, and much more physical. The secondary is a question mark, no doubt, but I love our safeties, and our corners have shown a lot of potential. Our front 7, well, I don't think that there's any doubt that they've improved. G. Warren has looked better than T. Warren. Mike Wright or Ron Brace are both upgrades over Jarvis Green. Spikes is a big upgrade over Guyton, and Murrell or Cunningham are both upgrades over Adalius.

I realize that there are some questions, but this team has a lot of potential, and I'd say that optimism should be had for this team. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoPinkHatPatsFans. Show NoPinkHatPatsFans's posts

Re: Why Such Doubt?

Note how Shalise said McCourty looked bad against the Rams. She doesn't tell us WHY he looked bad, as did the others, she just points to one game and fails to tell us McCourty isn't ready to play zone yet at this level.

The doom and gloom sells newspapers.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mojobag101. Show mojobag101's posts

The reason there is doubt is exactly the points you made.The youth on this D has to raise concerns.Is there POTENTIAL? Yes,but potential can leave us pretty pissed off real fast(we're already calling Brace a bust in year 2).Lets take a wait and see approach with this team and rest comfortably in the fact that this offense will keep us in most games as long as we can establish some consistancy in the running game.If and only if this D comes around,then we can start dreaming of waving yet another Lombardi trophy in the faces of Colts&Jets fans and Forum trolls.Sit back and enjoy the ride.Old school Pats fans will stay the course I'm sure.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

I just read some more from Tim Graham about how the Patriots's secondary is doomed vs T.O., Ocho, and Carson.

Give me a break. Are our corners young and inexperienced? Sure, but they've both played well!!!! It's not like we're starting with two bad corners - just two inexperienced corners.

Butler (aside from a few plays in the Rams game) shut down his side of the field, and McCourty didn't give up much ground either.

Look, I'm not arguing that our secondary isn't inexperienced - they are, no doubt. But our secondary has looked great! I don't take the Rams and Giants game for any kind of value, because we were constantly shuffling guys in and out. But in the Saints and Falcons game (when we had a more realistic gameplan) our secondary played great!

Inexperienced? Yes. Talented, and appears to be very good? Yes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

In Response to Why Such Doubt?:

Young - yes.  Talented - yes.  Will they make some mental mistakes - yes.  But they are big time players and they appear to be fearless - I love them already.  They will come to play and they will learn fast and they are good enough to win.  The Razor will ROCK on Sunday!!!!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

We are not the same team we are used to seeing the last ten years. We are retooling on the fly. Our offense will be elite with Brady, Moss, Welker and the new tight ends, but the defense is young with question marks.

I agree there is potential, but we were always better than 90% of the rest of the NFL. Now we are on par with the league, but no worse. The analysts think because we aren't dominant anymore, we must be worse than the rest.

This is not true in my opinion. We will compete this year, make the playoffs, and surprise most of these so called experts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Why Such Doubt?:
    [QUOTE]I feel so much doubt coming from analysts about our team. Posted by vertigho[/QUOTE]

the key is the first four letters in the word anal..ysts

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I agree killa but every team has question marks just look at the game last night. These are two of the best teams in the NFL right now. Every year teams surprise and teams disappoint. Exceptions: Patriots and Colts.

Until I see a dropoff, I will refuse to believe this team will not compete.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Why Such Doubt?:
    [QUOTE]I agree killa but every team has question marks just look at the game last night. These are two of the best teams in the NFL right now. Every year teams surprise and teams disappoint. Exceptions: Patriots and Colts. Until I see a dropoff, I will refuse to believe this team will not compete.
    Posted by digger0862[/QUOTE]

great analogy digger about the dropoff portion. i expect these guys to win at least 12 games this year. the offense will surely carry them, but by playoff time, these young guns should be ready

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from foxboro1. Show foxboro1's posts

Why do you morons say we and us when you talk about the pats...you are just clueless fans

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

"I realize that our young players are unproven."
    Uncertainty causes doubt.
    This team has to find its identity.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]Why do you morons say we and us when you talk about the pats...you are just clueless fans
    Posted by foxboro1[/QUOTE]

Yup we clueless.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Good post MVPkilla!!  You're dead on.  If you don't have some level of concern about the D, you're just not being very realistic.  The Pats system is very cerebral and difficult to learn especially because they switch things a lot from week to week depending on the opponent.  It's a lot for a young player to grasp. Many veterans have come to NE and struggled mightily.  Our Super Bowl teams had mostly veteran Defenses with some young guys sprinkled in.  Being fast doesn't mean you'll be in the right place if it takes you too long to diagnose what's happeningJust like being big doesn't mean you can automatically play DL in a 3-4.  You need to learn the proper techniques and be able to do things instinctually without having to think about it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolltide1963. Show rolltide1963's posts

The real problem remains - Pass Rush off the edge.

You have proven veterans in Ocho and T.O.  I think the overall angst - a repeat of the day Henne enjoyed last season.  That still looms above the Patriots.  Young corners & secondary that may be tasked with chasing WRs across the field for tooooo long.  LAst season, Henne and a cast of unkowns - 300+ yards. 

Overall, I still predict: NE 28 - Cincinnati 24

Time may prove me wrong.  However, I still say that Jerry Hughes should have been our #1 Pick.   He is fast of the edge and in the compound proved to display the skills needed to drop off into coverage.   We just may see that in November when We get the Colts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from foxboro1. Show foxboro1's posts

roll tide where would the pats be at corner now without mccourty

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]The real problem remains - Pass Rush off the edge. You have proven veterans in Ocho and T.O.  I think the overall angst - a repeat of the day Henne enjoyed last season.  That still looms above the Patriots.  Young corners & secondary that may be tasked with chasing WRs across the field for tooooo long.  LAst season, Henne and a cast of unkowns - 300+ yards.  Overall, I still predict: NE 28 - Cincinnati 24 Time may prove me wrong.  However, I still say that Jerry Hughes should have been our #1 Pick.   He is fast of the edge and in the compound proved to display the skills needed to drop off into coverage.   We just may see that in November when We get the Colts.
    Posted by rolltide1963[/QUOTE]

Belichick went after a CB for a reason.  Obviously he deemed the need stronger at DB than a pass rusher.  I also believe talent-wise that McCourty is better and brings more to the table.  Cunningham is not the name that Hughes was but was doing well before his injury, probably a high ankle sprain.

A young defense is full of unknowns.  We need to let the Pats get to the bye before we can take any trends.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I think it's fair to label any rookies or relatively inexperienced players as question marks until they prove otherwise.  The Pats always do well under BB.  for that reason I'm fairly certain we will either win the division, or come darn close to it; despite our youth at key positions.  That said, it doesn't mean we automatically should win this Sunday.  

McCoutry and Butler might acquit themselves well this Sunday, but to count on it can only come from living in fandom, not from any logic.  A rookie and a 2nd year player with limited starting time going against Chad and T.O...  Butler did not look very good at times this preseason.  Didn't we discuss that here?  But let's assume they both do real well.  Herein is where we pay the price for Bodden's injury.  Until Wilhite proves otherwise, teams will assume he is the same player that he was last year.  They will force us into a sub package and then pick apart Wilhite.  We will find out soon if Wilhite will surprise us this year.  Wheatley looked decent this year but he is out for the game.

I think we'll win, but I wouldn't put much money on it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In my opinion the loss of Pees more than makes up for the ? marks due to youth. Also from what I've read the young dbs have been great in man coverage but not so good in zone. That is the opposite from the last few years when the dbs were good in zone but heaven help us in man. To me, that would make it less dangerous to blitz on a more regular basis. Should be a fun year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]Why do you morons say we and us when you talk about the pats...you are just clueless fans

We do it specifically to p*ss you off.

Seems like it's working.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

lets just all hope for a good year. the youngsters will get alot of quality playing time and hopefully by the end of the season we will see something in butler,mcourty,cunningham,brace,tate,price,spikes,chung etc that will eventually lead to future success.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Call me crazy but this pats offense will be close to as dominant as the 2007 one, but not in the same way. A lot less spread and a lot more balance. Brady's weapons this year are slightly better then the weapons of 07. yes Moss may have lost a step and Welker is coming of off a serious knee injury but our new TE's give us weapons we didn't have before, the RB corp is similar, I would even say improved if Taylor stays relatively healthy. Edleman over Gafney and Tate can be the Donte Stallworth.

Now I don't expect them to come out, spread everyone out like in 07 and just pass all game. I expect to see them establishing a running game behind some of the new guys( Gronk, Crumpler) and doing lots of play action with some spread mixed in. Overall it will give us a more dangerous offense then the one from 2007.

Now back on topic, yes the defense is a concern but I believe in this offense and I believe that the young guns on Defense will establish themselves eventually. Our secondary is probably the youngest in the league. Its also probably the least experienced but it sure as hell is athletic. I believe in Butler and McCourty, they aren't bad corners, they're just young. I call Chung the human missile, he reminds me a lot of Troy with the way he plays at times. Don't get me wrong, he isn't even close to as good as Troy but I believe he will be a great safety with time. Brandon is a probowler and he keeps getting better. We won't shut anyone down but we should do OK this year.

Against the Run, I see problems with us setting the edges, mainly because of our weak OLB's. Our inside run game D should be top notch with Wilfork, Spikes and Mayo. Teams wont fear running the ball against us but we shouldn't be as bad as some people forecast us being.

Overall I see a major improvement offense, especially when it comes to scoring when needed( a major problem last year was scoring in the second half, I see this being fixed this year as Brady finally has weapons in the redzone.)

I also see a defense that will struggle and shine at times. Inconsistency is something we will have to deal with but it should in theory improve as the season goes on and the young guys get settled into their roles.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

If you don't identify with a team, what's the point?  It's WE and US because we rejoice together when they win, we SUFFER when they lose.  It is US, we are tied together on this roller coaster called FOOTBALL.  It's glorious.  I'm sorry if you can't experience it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

What I wanted to say before I saw Foxboro1s (why name yourself Foxboro1 and then make a comment like that? I don't get it) comment and got sidetracked is 
    I think the team is going to be good this year, many of the things OP said I feel are true also.  It looks to me like we analysed our losses last year, and attacked the issues head on.  So, I don't know what else we could have done.  Happy as heck about the offense, feel good, but nervous about the defense.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Every organization and fan base has doubts/anxiety at this point....except the Jets they have already anointed themselves Super Bowl Champs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

There will be a 55 gallon drum of preparation H shipped to the Jets trainers after Sept 19.