Why Teams Shifting To 3-4

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Why Teams Shifting To 3-4

In response to russgriswold's comment:

This may have already been discussed, but I think the reason why BB is keeping so many LBs or even Safeties in here is because of not only more 2 minute being run, but also more Read Option teams.

It makes sense.

It's been suggested with EJ Manuel he may run some some Read Option up there, but it goes beyond that and I think BB knows it, with some more teams on the schedule possibly introducing some of it this year for the first time.

I am not a big fan of it or a believer it can be a big part of a winning offense, but it may make sense out of the lack of true DTs or any back up NTs, with more LBs or more Safeties.

We will probably see a lot of 2-5-4 in order to defend it.

Buffalo is not north of New England.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]

This may have already been discussed, but I think the reason why BB is keeping so many LBs or even Safeties in here is because of not only more 2 minute being run, but also more Read Option teams.

It makes sense.

It's been suggested with EJ Manuel he may run some some Read Option up there, but it goes beyond that and I think BB knows it, with some more teams on the schedule possibly introducing some of it this year for the first time.

I am not a big fan of it or a believer it can be a big part of a winning offense, but it may make sense out of the lack of true DTs or any back up NTs, with more LBs or more Safeties.

We will probably see a lot of 2-5-4 in order to defend it.

Buffalo is not north of New England.

[/QUOTE]

Oh good God. 

Nitpicking? A bit?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Oh good God. 

Nitpicking? A bit?

Not a bit, Z.  100%.

That's the only part of the entire post that was worth responding to, however.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEOHPatsFan. Show NEOHPatsFan's posts

actually, it is north of Foxboro....NW to be exact.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to zbellino's comment:

Oh good God. 

Nitpicking? A bit?

Not a bit, Z.  100%.

That's the only part of the entire post that was worth responding to, however.

NAS you have turned in to quite the troll. Rust I hope your premise is right. BB got to be up to something becaseu I can't believe he would go into a season so light on the DL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

NAS you have turned in to quite the troll. Rust I hope your premise is right. BB got to be up to something becaseu I can't believe he would go into a season so light on the DL.

Just having a little fun.  When the season starts and there are actual things to talk about, it'll be different.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Read option + uptempo

Ds need more people who can run a lot. And they will need more of those.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I am expecting only 4, maybe 5 LBs to be on the game day roster Sunday. Mayo, Hightower, Spikes, Fletcher and maybe Collins

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I am also expecting the Bills to not play read option, but hurry up, trying to keep the PAts defenders on the field causing fatigue (Vince, Kelly especially)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I am expecting only 4, maybe 5 LBs to be on the game day roster Sunday. Mayo, Hightower, Spikes, Fletcher and maybe Collins

Yes. I expect BB to choose which LBs are available, depending on the opposing O's primary approach.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

Nink. If we're talking 3-4, BB has shown this:

Nink,Kelly, Vince, Jones, Hightower

Spikes, Mayo

He's had Jones at 3-4 DE, which I am surprised to see based on his weight, but he did gain some, so we'll see.

Buchanan looks like he could be a tweener like Jones, to me.  

This isn't even counting Collins, which we may see on 3rds for Spikes.

Nickel will be Ryan or Arrington, Probably Ryan for now since he's a rookie. Big nickel, Tavon Wilson up in the box in the 2-5-4

Kelly Vince

Nink, Collins, Mayo, Jones, T. Wilson

[/QUOTE]

since you have labeled me dumb so many times, excuse me, but I dont follow your reasoning...

YOu ahve the Pats in a 3-4 with Kelly, Vince and Jones as the front 3?

And you have Nink, Mayo, Spikes and Hightower as your 4?

I could see this, but I do not think it plays to the strengths of Jones, Kelly nor Nink.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Spikes, Mayo

He's had Jones at 3-4 DE, which I am surprised to see based on his weight, but he did gain some, so we'll see.

Nickel will be Ryan or Arrington, Probably Ryan for now since he's a rookie. Big nickel, Tavon Wilson up in the box in the 2-5-4

Kelly Vince

since you have labeled me dumb so many times, excuse me, but I dont follow your reasoning...

I could see this, but I do not think it plays to the strengths of Jones, Kelly nor Nink.

I am just telling ya, BB had that in Detroit in Week 3.  Vellano was the NT.  This is how I know you didn't watch that preseason game.

BB tinkered with Jones at 3-4 OLB last year, Jones adds weight and now he's playing DE instead.

You can mock me all day long, but carrying fewer 4-3 DTs means more 3-4 or 2-5-4 packages.

Nink is a jack of all trades and can play anywhere. 

Kelly has 3-4 DE experience.  4-3 DT is the same as 3-4 DE in terms of concept.  

Plus, SPikes is more valuable in a 3-4 at MLB than in the 4-3. I might even argue the same goes for Mayo.

Thinkk 2010s D with more experience and more talent than that team.  Led the NFL in turnovers.   Throw in more talent at LB now, more talent in the secondary, Kelly a penetrator while Warren was more of a run stopper, and you have improvements across the board.

the roster thin at DT doesn't dictate the 3-4, since the front 7 in 4-3 is still there. The flexibility of multiple looks is a BB staple.  3 DTs should be plenty.  I think the extra LBs are also there to add some beef to kicking team which needs improvement from last year...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

I miss the 1 DT, multi-LB mill-around thing they used to play 10 years ago.  Kissing a big OLB several times might fix the read option.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Buffalo has had as close to zero communication between the brand new quarterback and the old receivers as is humanly possible.  Buffalo's star wide receiver has been out for eight weeks and should come back all rusty.

Manuel has been out since week two of preseason, when his knee got hurt.  If Buffalo had his old college buddies on the team, maybe they could run the read-option effectively.

This says running plays, probably handoffs to C.J. Spiller all day.  Rare read-option plays and a few 100% vanilla passes are possible. 

BB practically invented the 3-4, but he will switch to a 5-2 if the other side guarantees that they will run the ball.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Spikes, Mayo

Kelly Vince

I am just telling ya, BB had that in Detroit in Week 3.  Vellano was the NT.  This is how I know you didn't watch that preseason game.

BB tinkered with Jones at 3-4 OLB last year, Jones adds weight and now he's playing DE instead.

You can mock me all day long, but carrying fewer 4-3 DTs means more 3-4 or 2-5-4 packages.

Plus, SPikes is more valuable in a 3-4 at MLB than in the 4-3. I might even argue the same goes for Mayo.

Thinkk 2010s D with more experience and more talent than that team.  Led the NFL in turnovers.   Throw in more talent at LB now, more talent in the secondary, Kelly a penetrator while Warren was more of a run stopper, and you have improvements across the board.

1) I am not mocking you, trying to understand your thinking on the 3-4

2) I watched the game and then watched again on tape. We clearly saw different things in that game based on each of our comments

3) playing a 3-4 is plausible given the Pats deficiencies at DT. I simply feel that Jones, Nink and Kelly are more effective in a 4-3

4) I assume Vellano plays on Sunday as there is no one else....I could also see him getting cut after the game as Fortson gets healthy

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

[QUOTE]

Spikes, Mayo

Kelly Vince

the roster thin at DT doesn't dictate the 3-4, since the front 7 in 4-3 is still there. The flexibility of multiple looks is a BB staple.  3 DTs should be plenty.  I think the extra LBs are also there to add some beef to kicking team which needs improvement from last year...

[/QUOTE]

Agree with this. If you look at the roster bb has the personnel to run either, and I would argue that we have more 4-3 DT / de types than 3-4 des. Anything is possible which makes it even more exciting guessing what bb is going to do. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

We really don't have enough big bodies to regularly run a typical two-gap 3-4 like we did with Warren, Washington, and Seymour, but that doesn't necessarily mean we won't use a three-man line at times.  The depth at LB suggests we'll see more of them on the field.  

Sections
Shortcuts