Why The Continued Obsession About Offense?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Why The Continued Obsession About Offense?

I think the offense could be even more effective if they had a deeper threat to spread out the defense.  It would open up the run game and shorter passes even more.

As for the defense I think it's partly the scheme they run.  While I see other teams defensive line consistantly attack the QB more, I have noticed the Patriots do something more then any other team.  It seems that the Pats D line will send a couple rushers to attack the QB and then others, big Vince more then anyone else, will kind of drop back into pass coverage.  Not deep back but around the line of scrimmage, a yard or two back. I have noticed a few other players do this too, but Vince seems to do it a lot more then others.  I think they would have more success sending an all out pass rush at the QB.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I’m going to repeat one of my posts from another thread because I truly believe that the Amendola durability issue is largely overblown. 

I take both of Amendola's serious injuries with a very large grain of salt. For one thing I can't find any indication that Amendola was injured during his years at Texas Tech.  If anyone else can, I'd truly appreciate it if you can point me to the source. 

Secondly, both his collarbone injury and his elbow injury, which seem to be what folks are alluding to in calling him an injury risk, were suffered on what an NFLPA survey identified as one of the worst artificial surfaces in the league.  The elbow was dislocated in a home game against Philly in 2011 and the collarbone injured in a home game against Arizona in 2012.  Google 2010 NFL PLAYERS PLAYING SURFACES OPINION SURVEY.  It comes up as PDF of the survey results.  Interesting stuff. 

Finally, and I know this will probably draw more fire than anything else in this post, I can't believe that BB would pursue and sign as his first move in free agency, a football player that he thought would not be able to stay on the field.  If he considered Amendola a significant injury risk then he probably either wouldn't have signed him or he would have inked him to something akin to the Talib deal.  Are there playing conditions in Amendola's contract? Yep and I consider that simple due diligence. 

Am I ignoring the injuries?  Certainly not; I think they’re worthy of note and I’m taking a wait and see attitude toward Amendola and his durability. 

One final note on Welker:  If one wanted to play devil’s advocate, one could assert that Welker’s injury at the end of the 2009 season in the Texan’s game was every bit as disturbing at both of Amendola’s injuries.  No one was near Welker and yet he blew out both his ACL and MCL.  Obviously, Welker has proven his durability over time and Amendola is yet to prove his.  Just trying to keep all of this in perspective.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to anonymis's comment:

Sure, the offense isn't perfect and could use some depth at certain positions, but it still seems to me that the defense has bigger weaknesses and the road to another SB ring is more dependent on improvements w/ our pass rush and defensive backs.  When trying to improve this team for another SB run - it's about building a team that can beat the likes of the 49ers, Ravens, or Giants, aka, the Patriots' kryptonite.

Because a lot of fans are brainwashed reading rustys post over and over about our offense not getting it done. They didnt bother to do the research themselves and see that we always get less posession come postseason due to our D not getting off the field and everyone is sitting their Scratching their heads wondering why we only scored 13 pts. If your defense cant stop anyone and give up 4 TDs in 4 redzone appearances the offense has to be perfect and thats impossible sooooo, You Blame Brady and everyone wants MORE weapons now and the same p*ss poor defense! Yaaaaah! We signed Arrington and Cole back , surely things will change now right??

LOL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

My question would be, why wouldn't they spend at least as much as they did last year to bring in some durable replacements for those they had planned to lose? Jones they got for a song because of concerns over his durability. Amendola was the second choice and cost as much as Welker this year and more gauranteed money overall, but is not nearly as durable. I could understand taking a chance on an injury concern if you have some stability in the position in the first place but why are you messing around and rebuilding your entire WR core with huge question marks then not even invest in a durable option at this point? It's completely putting you eggs in a single basket while walking on ice and hoping you don't drop them. The ifs pile up quickly:

• If Amendola can stay healthy
    • If Jones can stay healthy
    • If Jones shows more then a solid #3 WR
    • If they draft the right WR or sign Sanders 
    • If ALL of them can get on the same page as Brady (that's a big if given WRs in the past and you do need all to get it since at minimum you need to go 3 deep at WR)

That's a lot of ifs when history says that it's more then llikely Jones and/or Amendola will get hurt. Maybe 1 out of the 3 will really click with Brady, 2 at best but most likely not all. Given history BB is more likely to bring in 3-4 washed up vets at min price and patch work them in (Stallworth, Gaffney, Branch last year) which leaves Brady high and dry in case of injury. Don't forget Lloyd and Welker both played 16 games last year. Imagine if one of them was injured and you needed to start Branch. It's a lot easier to swallow the patch work vet #3 WR when you know your top 2 WRs will be there game in and game out.

There is no stability, durability, or a sense of chemistry currently in the WR core for one of the best QB's in the game on the back 9 of his career? Why rebuild now of all times? Brady has 2-3 good years left and you want to dump a bunch of unknown elements on his shoulders and say make it work, btw not sure if they are going to be able to play every game for you so we'll toss in random player X off the street if they get hurt. 

This might be a bad analogy but that's like taking away your car that runs perfectly well and is reliable but could use some tweeks and handing you another car with less miles but more issues without telling you the history or it's random quirks and oh yeah it's broken down a couple of times in the past but they think the issues might have fixed themselves. Then telling you to drive across the country in it. Would you be comfortable in that situation?

I mean if they went out and signed Sanders right away instead of Jones (lets face it they are extremely similar players except Jones is injury prone) I think we'd all be more comfortable right now because at least Sanders is durable. You know you will get 16 games from him and the spector that Slater might be your #1 isn't hanging over your head.

Amen Brother! 

Going into this season all they really needed to do on offense was add a deeper threat to the mix and they were good to go. Keep Lloyd, resign Welker, resign Edelman, add deeper threat.  Easily could have been done and time will tell if it should have been done.  Heck, they probably could have even added Amendola instead of re-signing Edelman and that would have even been good.  They probably could have got Amendola a bit cheaper to make this all work, after all Rusty says players will come here/stay here to have the chance to play with the Pats so Amendola could have came in cheap.  Wait! Rusty might point to this as me being a Welker lover, but I think it is just plain logical/sensible!

Then they could have focused all on defense.  This was pretty much my expectations going into this off season.  Instead they blow up the WR core and expect TFB to break in all new receivers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In response to anonymis's comment:

Sure, the offense isn't perfect and could use some depth at certain positions, but it still seems to me that the defense has bigger weaknesses and the road to another SB ring is more dependent on improvements w/ our pass rush and defensive backs.  When trying to improve this team for another SB run - it's about building a team that can beat the likes of the 49ers, Ravens, or Giants, aka, the Patriots' kryptonite.

Because a lot of fans are brainwashed reading rustys post over and over about our offense not getting it done. They didnt bother to do the research themselves and see that we always get less posession come postseason due to our D not getting off the field and everyone is sitting their Scratching their heads wondering why we only scored 13 pts. If your defense cant stop anyone and give up 4 TDs in 4 redzone appearances the offense has to be perfect and thats impossible sooooo, You Blame Brady and everyone wants MORE weapons now and the same p*ss poor defense! Yaaaaah! We signed Arrington and Cole back , surely things will change now right??

LOL

EXACTLY!

We have some irrationals here who think it is just as easy to score 35 points (reg season Avg) in 8 possessions which translates from any where from a 67% scoring rate to a 100% scoring rate as apposed to 35 points a game in a 12-13 possession game, which translates to a 38% scoring rate, if all scoring are 7's.  Brilliant!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

i agree the defense needs improvement, but the reason for the obsession with the offense is because of their continuous disappointing efforts in the big playoff games. anyone with a brain knows they have been underwhelming in the playoffs the past 5 years. if improving the defense stops the offense from sputtering in the big games, absolutely im all for it!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

i agree the defense needs improvement, but the reason for the obsession with the offense is because of their continuous disappointing efforts in the big playoff games. anyone with a brain knows they have been underwhelming in the playoffs the past 5 years. if improving the defense stops the offense from sputtering in the big games, absolutely im all for it!

speaking of the devil....lol

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I’m going to repeat one of my posts from another thread because I truly believe that the Amendola durability issue is largely overblown. 

I take both of Amendola's serious injuries with a very large grain of salt. For one thing I can't find any indication that Amendola was injured during his years at Texas Tech.  If anyone else can, I'd truly appreciate it if you can point me to the source. 

Secondly, both his collarbone injury and his elbow injury, which seem to be what folks are alluding to in calling him an injury risk, were suffered on what an NFLPA survey identified as one of the worst artificial surfaces in the league.  The elbow was dislocated in a home game against Philly in 2011 and the collarbone injured in a home game against Arizona in 2012.  Google 2010 NFL PLAYERS PLAYING SURFACES OPINION SURVEY.  It comes up as PDF of the survey results.  Interesting stuff. 

Finally, and I know this will probably draw more fire than anything else in this post, I can't believe that BB would pursue and sign as his first move in free agency, a football player that he thought would not be able to stay on the field.  If he considered Amendola a significant injury risk then he probably either wouldn't have signed him or he would have inked him to something akin to the Talib deal.  Are there playing conditions in Amendola's contract? Yep and I consider that simple due diligence. 

Am I ignoring the injuries?  Certainly not; I think they’re worthy of note and I’m taking a wait and see attitude toward Amendola and his durability. 

One final note on Welker:  If one wanted to play devil’s advocate, one could assert that Welker’s injury at the end of the 2009 season in the Texan’s game was every bit as disturbing at both of Amendola’s injuries.  No one was near Welker and yet he blew out both his ACL and MCL.  Obviously, Welker has proven his durability over time and Amendola is yet to prove his.  Just trying to keep all of this in perspective.

To be fair I don't see anything out there that shows Amendola being injury prone in college. Hard to tell by his college game stats..

year 1 played 15 offensive snaps

year 2 played 36 offensive snaps.

year 3 played 51 offensive snaps.

year 4 played 109 offensive snaps.

Total offensive snaps 211

To compare with Welker who played..

year 1 played 32 offensive snaps

year 2 played 65 offensive snaps.

year 3 played 117 offensive snaps.

year 4 played 125 offensive snaps.

Total offensive snaps 339.

So it's hard to tell here if Amendola was just used less in college or if injuries played a factor with him being used less.  After all he went into the league in 2009 and missed 2 games to injury.

I think we have all personally known at least one person who just has bad luck when it comes to getting injured.  You know the guy, he could just simply step off the curb and at that very moment the earth decided to shift causing him to land awkwardly and break his ankle.  I know, this is over dramatic but you get the idea, we all probably knew someone like that.  Who know's Amendola could be that guy. LOL!!

Here is an example of what I mean...

Per Yahoo Sports...

During a report on Fox's pregame show, Glazer explained that Amendola dislocated his clavicle, which actually popped in and could have threatened Amendola's trachea and aorta. The Rams' medical staff acted quickly, putting Amendola to sleep before popping the clavicle back into place and making sure it could not dislodge again.

Glazer adds that the Rams called around the league to find a case of another player suffering a similar injury, but they could not find one. The absence of a case study for this particular injury makes it difficult for the Rams to know when Amendola might return. Though surgery is not required, it may take between four and eight weeks for the injury to heal to the point where Amendola can play.

----------------

Some people just have some bad luck and it can't be explained... Since we are on the subject of strange things/bad luck we could add the Madden curse to that list. Hahaha! Please don't put Amendola on the Madden cover!!

And to further comment on ATJ's post, while the Pats won't be playing the Rams this year they certainly will be playing on some hard surfaces.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

if you feel the offense has been fine in the big playoff games, than thats fine, i guess you are entitled yo your opinion. however, im not ok with them scoring 13, 14, and 17 points in games that count as much as they did, its just unacceptable imo. blame the defense all you want, the offense still hasnt played at the level they should be in the playoffs, and thats why the pats dont have a 4th ring.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

No, Sorry.

The obsession with the O is that they lost 3 receivers who were part of a #1, record setting offense with:

A guy with potential that has played in only 25% of his games in the past 2 years.

A guy who realistically is a 3/4 receiver with medical problems and has had a total of 2 good games, which just happened to be against the Pats D.  Woot!  Woot!

A ST player who replaced an extremely versatile RB/receiver.

Now we are left with 3 guys who have no knowledge of the system, and are injury prone.

2 TE's that played a total of 2 games together last year.

Mathew Slater, who has as many catches as years on the team, and 2 PS players.

Yippee!

That being said, I would be extremely shocked if it stays that way.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

Don't want to hear about "injury prone" either.  

Every player is prone to injury in this game.

Bob Sanders and Jeremy Shockey both disagree with you.  And it looks like Ras I Dowling just quietly backed out of this thread.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

To be fair I don't see anything out there that shows Amendola being injury prone in college. Hard to tell by his college game stats..

year 1 played 15 offensive snaps

year 2 played 36 offensive snaps.

year 3 played 51 offensive snaps.

year 4 played 109 offensive snaps.

Total offensive snaps 211

To compare with Welker who played..

year 1 played 32 offensive snaps

year 2 played 65 offensive snaps.

year 3 played 117 offensive snaps.

year 4 played 125 offensive snaps.

Total offensive snaps 339.

So it's hard to tell here if Amendola was just used less in college or if injuries played a factor with him being used less.  After all he went into the league in 2009 and missed 2 games to injury.

I think we have all personally known at least one person who just has bad luck when it comes to getting injured.  You know the guy, he could just simply step off the curb and at that very moment the earth decided to shift causing him to land awkwardly and break his ankle.  I know, this is over dramatic but you get the idea, we all probably knew someone like that.  Who know's Amendola could be that guy. LOL!!

Here is an example of what I mean...

Per Yahoo Sports...

During a report on Fox's pregame show, Glazer explained that Amendola dislocated his clavicle, which actually popped in and could have threatened Amendola's trachea and aorta. The Rams' medical staff acted quickly, putting Amendola to sleep before popping the clavicle back into place and making sure it could not dislodge again.

Glazer adds that the Rams called around the league to find a case of another player suffering a similar injury, but they could not find one. The absence of a case study for this particular injury makes it difficult for the Rams to know when Amendola might return. Though surgery is not required, it may take between four and eight weeks for the injury to heal to the point where Amendola can play.

----------------

Some people just have some bad luck and it can't be explained... Since we are on the subject of strange things/bad luck we could add the Madden curse to that list. Hahaha! Please don't put Amendola on the Madden cover!!

And to further comment on ATJ's post, while the Pats won't be playing the Rams this year they certainly will be playing on some hard surfaces.

Truncated the post a bit to keep it from turning into a 'War & Peace' deal.

Fair points all, and I can't really disagree on much.  I was simply trying to offer another perspective on Amendola's injury rep.  And as we both alluded to in one way or another, only time will tell.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

The thing is to me injury prone is injury prone. Don't know why but for some reason some players just always seem to be injured whether they are freak injures or not. Ellsbury is a prime example and the Amendola equal in a lot of ways. A player with high potential that just can't stay on the field. Not really someone I would want as a player I need to count on, more of a player I would hope can stay healthy and give more to what's already there. Unfortunately Amendola is the #1 WR at this point and someone you do have to count on. I heard the same thing after Ras was drafted. That I was overblowing his injures and that it's part of the game, and every player in prone to injury, that it wouldn't be a problem. I knew it was going to be an issue because players who are consistently getting injured tend to always get injured one way or another. Call it bad luck but it seems to always happen. And players that are labeled durable tend to get injured at the end of the season, or a minor injury at the end of the 4th quarter and come back the next week. Not sure why it's just how it happens. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Fair points all, and I can't really disagree on much.  I was simply trying to offer another perspective on Amendola's injury rep.  And as we both alluded to in one way or another, only time will tell.

Believe me, I wish no injury on any player and I really hope Amendola can be healthy all season long.  No doubt the guy is a hard worker, he deserves to display his talents and not be effected by injury.  He needs this, the team needs this.  Yes, time will tell, fingers crossed for the best!  I want Super Bowl victories!! Hahaha!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Believe me, I wish no injury on any player and I really hope Amendola can be healthy all season long.  No doubt the guy is a hard worker, he deserves to display his talents and not be effected by injury.  He needs this, the team needs this.  Yes, time will tell, fingers crossed for the best!  I want Super Bowl victories!! Hahaha!!

Despite all the differences in perspective in this forum (and there's more than a few) I think that's what we all want in the end - another Lombardi for this team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

if you feel the offense has been fine in the big playoff games, than thats fine, i guess you are entitled yo your opinion. however, im not ok with them scoring 13, 14, and 17 points in games that count as much as they did, its just unacceptable imo. blame the defense all you want, the offense still hasnt played at the level they should be in the playoffs, and thats why the pats dont have a 4th ring.

The Pats don't have a 4th ring because the DEFENSE has only afforded the offense 61- 65% of their scoring opportunities in big games and can NEVER hold a 2 score lead, regardless of points scored.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

In response to anonymis' comment:

I agree. It is the Defense that needs to improve dramatically if we are to get that elusive 4th ring. The old adage appears to be true "Offense wins games, Defense wins championships."

+1

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to MordecaiBloodmoon's comment:

I think WR is still a big need.  Particularly one that isnt a shrimp that can improve against those kryptonite Ds/in the redzone.  We can move the ball against them, but fall flat in the redzone. 

If only Gronk could stay healthy in the playoffs, he is the Pats # 1 threat in the red zone.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to alfred-e-bob-neumier's comment:

A deep threat wide receiver WHO CAN AND WILL CATCH THE BALL is a real need, granted....this really cannot be argued...

However this man-love for the bald midget Welker has reach fetish proportions...enough already...those pounding the Pats over this transaction need to relax and wait to see how the rest of the FA and draft process continues....

And yes, if they wish to return to a SB winning team they need to build up that defense, particularly in the back end and pass rush....Nink is a good, not great LB, ,but what they need is a REAL consistant pass rushing threat to match with Jones, and Nink ain't it. A  coverage LB wouldn't hurt either.

However this man-love for the bald midget Welker has reach fetish proportions

Lol, agree.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

So, from what I'm getting out of this is the Pats need to sign receivers who never get hurt and are guaranteed not to ever get hurt while playing football in the NFL.  

Injuries are part of the game. 

Was it a mistake that the Pats drafted both Gronk and Hern because they seem to get hurt quite a bit for as young as they are?

So, now they have to stay away from anyone who's been hurt in their careers?

Not realistic.  

Don't want to hear about "injury prone" either.  

Every player is prone to injury in this game.

Well said, luck just seems to have a lot to do with it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from manowar333. Show manowar333's posts

The defense certainly has some remaining issues, but if you're comfortable playing the season with this receiving corps., then you better pray that they change their offensive philosophy.  They either need to dumb-down the Erhardt-Perkins system, or dump it altogether.  We've seen receiver after receiver come in here, either through the draft or free agency, and show an inability to pick up the system because it's too complicated.  Why do you think Welker has been here this long?  Why do you think they brought in Lloyd?  For crying out loud, why do you think Branch is still kicking around after 58 years in the league?  Because they're about the only people remaining in the league that have any knowledge of the system. 

I couldn't care less about whether or not Amendola is better than Welker or if Jones is better than Lloyd.  The thing that overly concerns me is that all we've heard for years is how complicated the reads and verbage in the system are...  New receivers just don't understand it apparently...  And as soon as that happens, as it has for several seasons, Brady gets frustrated and starts forcing the ball to one or two receivers in traffic that he feels he can "trust," completely, ignoring an open guy somewhere else.  Say whatever you want about how great we are statistically...  we are... in the regular season against jag defenses...  As soon as we start facing solid playoff d's, we become very limited, because the bottom line is, they know we have no deep threat and you can only flood the middle of the field with so many guys, so they do the same.

Again, I'm not saying there aren't issues on the defensive side of the ball, but until they simplify the system, the offense will fall flat when it means the most.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

But 3 of those 4 WR's are no longer on the team and there is question if 2 of the replacements can stay on the field. Ditto Gronk and Hern

Actually if you count Woodhead as a slot receiver, which he was for all effective purposes last season we lost more than 3.  That being said all our receivers according to posters here with the lone exception of Welker weren't very good so our prospects this season aren't looking so bad.  Like I said in the not so distant past, the offseason can't be judged until we break camp.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Don't worry folks!! We landed Michael Jenkins!! Prayers answered!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

i think you kind of nailed this. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to pezz4pats's comment:

The Pats don't have a 4th ring because the DEFENSE has only afforded the offense 61- 65% of their scoring opportunities in big games and can NEVER hold a 2 score lead, regardless of points scored.

point #1 - huh?

point #2 - I may have this wrong, but it appears to me that in the past 7 Patriots playoff losses 05,06,07,09,10,11,12 - only once did the Patriots have a 2 score lead.  And frankly, although the defense may not have been up to the standards of the superbowl winning years (not surprising - those defenses were legendary), in most of those losses, they performed closer to their average than the offense did. 

Sections
Shortcuts