Why the English wore Red Coats in Battle

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Re: Why the English wore Red Coats in Battle

In Response to Re: Why the English wore Red Coats in Battle:
    So how many of you people who are making fun of the French actually fought in a war? And I mean actually fought in a war? Not just saying you did because this is the internet and no one will actually know if you are telling the truth? And by the way, the USA is getting their butt kicked in Afghanistan...wonder if we will need any help?
    Posted by grammbo14

I have and will make fun of the French until they actually do something besides back stab the US every chance they get. I never met a more snooty people who have never really showed their graditude for getting their country back after WWII. Now there are some in thr Normandy area who are a little nice but as a whole they are pretty useless. Now about us getting our butts kicked in Afgan, I would like to knwo where you are getting your info from. Becuase it is wrong!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: Why the English wore Red Coats in Battle : Once you get them to to table to negotiate their terms of surrender, make sure they pinky swear or it doesn't count.
    Posted by patsfaninpa420

I already got my eeye on the war reparationsd, Big box'a vanilla & fudge swirl ice cream pops I saw in their freezer...
         See pa~, this all started with the tree fort all of us built on the side of the cliff, halfway between each of our parents's houses...I wanted the top half, they wanted the bottom...but then, I happened to drop my rhine of bread & it landed right in the middle, and we decided then ta just cut it in half.  But see, they got pretty p!ssed-off when the neighbors, Mr & Mrs. Sudeten, allowed me to creep closer to their yard, but I was like, "Man, I ain't goin no further, what's the biggee?"   HA! Then I offered ta rake the last neighbor in between us, but I "coincidentally" kept forgetting the rake pole, in their yard, just to antagonize these guys, and BL-amo, they finally freaked, But I talked ta their dad, neville. and so I goes, "Can'tcha tell your kids, they don't need ta put me in czech, I ain't goin no fuhrer."  He goes, "You ASSURE me this, then...Will'ya write this on paper?"  I go, "I'll write it on a thousand pieces of paper, if ya want; WhatTH do I care."  While he was in the den, markin it up, I was like "Nor way, are these shmuks, gullible...I'm gonna Holl, and snag my swedes right NOW baby!" Dese dudes'r dun, 'specially their son, kurk."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stommmper. Show Stommmper's posts

In Response to Why the English wore Red Coats in Battle : one thing you gotta love is a bunch of sheltered yahoos whose idea of war is old movies and tv, living thousands of miles away from any real conflicts and living in a country that has never known an onland invasion in it's history making fun of France-or anywhere else-invaded in ww2-or any other war...gee, I can't figure out why so many other countries hate us...must be our "freedom"...of course, if we were invaded tomorrow most of you poking fun here on this board would be the first ones hiding in the basement or under the table...
    Posted by JintsFan
    WEll now, it's time to give your absolutely pathetic statement a response.
    FIrst off, this country has been in war and turmoil since settlers hit the shores to move here. Read history you moron! 
    If reading the history is correct over 600 thousand were killed during the Civil War, and about 2 million left injured. Now, if you have balls as big as your mouth, try walking the streets of Lawrence Mass ( where I was stabbed 2 times and my freind shot in the leg in 1980 going to an ATM machine), or North Philly at night. You wont live 5 minutes due to our own personal war zones between gangs and race wars going on in the inner cities of the USA.
    As for France, they were cowards during the first WW and the 2nd.
     Ever been to France genius, I have 4 times due to business and they HATE Americans, they also hate most other countries and it's people, this is first hand knowledge, but your a moron so it's impossible for you to comprehend that.

As for people in the USA being cowards, our people are the first ones on the scene to volunteer to help losers like you and cowards like France and the last ones to leave, usually with our good kids getting killed in the process.
    Not only are you an Idiot, but a loser as well. If you dont like the USA, then get out!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

In Response to Why the English wore Red Coats in Battle : one thing you gotta love is a bunch of sheltered yahoos whose idea of war is old movies and tv, living thousands of miles away from any real conflicts and living in a country that has never known an onland invasion in it's history making fun of France-or anywhere else-invaded in ww2-or any other war...gee, I can't figure out why so many other countries hate us...must be our "freedom"...of course, if we were invaded tomorrow most of you poking fun here on this board would be the first ones hiding in the basement or under the table...
    Posted by JintsFan

So i'm guessing you haven't got to the War of 1812 in your history class yet?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

I went to war once...I'll never forget it it, It occured on a mid winter Saturday, I thought on that day we were simply gonna tangle with the enemy who's fortifications were merely on the outskirts of town...but no.  On that last saturday before x-mas before I knew what was happenin, mom steered me right into the Mall...ambush...we got clobbered.  What I witnessed on that dark day, well- it'll be with me forever...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hagen910. Show hagen910's posts

WOLVERINES

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Posted by JintsFan

You must be part French. hehe

Only thing I would say is the French get a bad rap and it's really tied to WWII where they didn't have a legit military, post WWI.   WWI had nothing to do with their willingness to fight.  They had no functioning modern military after the Versailles Treaty was signed in 1919.

They fought valianty in WWI and previous other conflicts/wars for centuries.

If any country is infamous for tap dancing and surrendering, it's Italy. WWI and WWII are both prime examples.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Why the English wore Red Coats in Battle:
    So now we know why the English wore red coats in battle A long time ago, Britain and France were at war. During one battle, the French captured an English colonel. They took him to their headquarters, and the French general began to question him. Finally, as an afterthought, the French general asked, Why do you English officers all wear red coats? Don't you know the red material makes you easier targets for us to shoot at? In his bland English way, the officer informed the general that the reason English officers wear red coats is so that if they are shot, the blood won't show, and the men they are leading won't panic. And that is why, from that day to this, all French Army officers wear brown pants.
    Posted by pats-fan-2007

REALLY REALLY REALLY! is this what it has really come down to on this FOOTBALL board? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

So how many of you people who are making fun of the French actually fought in a war? And I mean actually fought in a war? Not just saying you did because this is the internet and no one will actually know if you are telling the truth? And by the way, the USA is getting their butt kicked in Afghanistan...wonder if we will need any help?
    Posted by grammbo14

Grammbo14, there is already a coalition of NATO and other forces along w the US in Afghanistan.

So even though the US is not there alone, the troops may not be getting all the support they could from the other forces and maybe even our government to do a better job.

The US has the largest number of troops and casualties, but the other forces have been getting their butts kicked more often then the US as you would lead everyone to believe.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

The last surviving WWI vet died today. Guy was 110. God rest his soul and thanks for your service.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

American or just in general?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

American,    Frank buckles

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110228/ap_on_re_us/us_obit_last_wwi_veteran

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Great name!  RIP

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In Response to Why the English wore Red Coats in Battle:
    So now we know why the English wore red coats in battle A long time ago, Britain and France were at war. During one battle, the French captured an English colonel. They took him to their headquarters, and the French general began to question him. Finally, as an afterthought, the French general asked, Why do you English officers all wear red coats? Don't you know the red material makes you easier targets for us to shoot at? In his bland English way, the officer informed the general that the reason English officers wear red coats is so that if they are shot, the blood won't show, and the men they are leading won't panic. And that is why, from that day to this, all French Army officers wear brown pants.
    Posted by pats-fan-2007

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In Response to Why the English wore Red Coats in Battle :
    Posted by fyyankees

Are you and the rest of these yo's this stupid?  This country wouldn't even be free of the racist, class-ridden Brit bast_ards, were in not for the French fleet at Yorktown and the Marquis de LaFayette and French aid during the Revolutionary War!!!  If we had learned anything from history - like the French - we would not have wasted lives in Vietnam and now in Iraq and the rockpile of Afganistan while our country goes bankrupt for overblown militry expenses!!

France has better and more affordable health care, job protection, insurance, and employment and workers rights than Amerika does, you bozos!!!

Vive La France!!

Buttheads, get educated!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

I have to laugh at the moronic French jokes. It just goes to prove that people who have no knowledge of actual history are the first to open their mouths.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

In Response to Re: Why the English wore Red Coats in Battle : So i'm guessing you haven't got to the War of 1812 in your history class yet?
    Posted by patsfaninpa420

Correct. Certainly using a war fought with muskets and troops who faced a 3 week sea voyage to get to the field of battle is comparable with an invasion from the country next to you by the worlds first highly mechanized and mobile army and air force. I hate to use actual facts but the reason the Nazis rolled over ALL of continental Europe was because all the old generals still believed that fixed fortifications were the way to protect your country from invasion. The ONLY reasons Britain held out was because the channel protected them from armored assault and the fact that Hitler who was a terrible tactician stopped bombing RAF bases and started bombing civilians giving the decimated RAF time to recover.

A few other questions....
    Is anyone here really stupid enough to think we landed at Normandy to free the French? Or was there another way to get to Germany? We wouldn't have even gotten into the European part of WW2 if the Nazis hadn't declared war on us.

Oh and nice job ignoring the fact that it was the French politicians ( some who were Fascist to begin with ) who surrendered and that a good part of the population continued to fight and die in the resistance throughout the war. That could also include all those who were executed ( including entire towns ) for helping downed US airmen.

The bottom line is that this county is becoming a population of knee jerk ignorant morons who have no knowledge of actual facts.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I am sort of chuckling myself.    I always linked that kind of a joke to Italy. Post Roman Empire, they have notoriously been worthless.

The only real application to the French not being worth anything would be after WWI when their political intentions were centered around not really forming a legitimate military.

Prior to WWI, they arguably had the best army in Europe and the best artillery of anyone. They did lose their little spat with Germany in 1871 in the Franco-Prussian War (which they initiated, mind you), which arguably was a root cause of WWI, but I think some people only look at WWII as a "bail out" of sorts.

The US bailed out all of Western Europe, really, including countries that didn't know they were being bailed out (Spain, Portugal, even England).

This scaling back by France post WWI, was of course due to the disastrous situation that was the casualty rate in WWI with the lack of interest being politically driven.  Most countries in Europe took this course, actually.

It's easy to see why they had no intentions of ever fighting another war.  But, if you go back through history, they had some of the best armies around.

That brought us to WWII where they had very little invested and were run over, obviously.

But, every country was essentially run over in Europe, except for England, Serbia and maybe Greece. Russia, too, of course.

Love/hate relationship with France and it's too bad it got to that point.

Both the US and France totally botched Vietnam, by the way.

It's too bad France postures so much nowadays, politically, so I can see why they are seen in a negative light now here in this country.  But, when called upon to fight in battle, France was traditionally a military force in history.

In the end, a good joke. It would just be better if it was applied to a different country.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

I am sort of chuckling myself.    I always linked that kind of a joke to Italy. Post Roman Empire, they have notoriously been worthless. The only real application to the French not being worth anything would be after WWI when their political intentions were centered around not really forming a legitimate military. Prior to WWI, they arguably had the best army in Europe and the best artillery of anyone. They did lose their little spat with Germany in 1871 in the Franco-Prussian War (which they initiated, mind you), which arguably was a root cause of WWI, but I think some people only look at WWII as a "bail out" of sorts. The US bailed out all of Western Europe, really, including countries that didn't know they were being bailed out (Spain, Portugal, even England).   This scaling back by France post WWI, was of course due to the disastrous situation that was the casualty rate in WWI with the lack of interest being politically driven.  Most countries in Europe took this course, actually. It's easy to see why they had no intentions of ever fighting another war.  But, if you go back through history, they had some of the best armies around. That brought us to WWII where they had very little invested and were run over, obviously. But, every country was essentially run over in Europe, except for England, Serbia and maybe Greece. Russia, too, of course. Love/hate relationship with France and it's too bad it got to that point. Both the US and France totally botched Vietnam, by the way. It's too bad France postures so much nowadays, politically, so I can see why they are seen in a negative light now here in this country.  But, when called upon to fight in battle, France was traditionally a military force in history. In the end, a good joke. It would just be better if it was applied to a different country.
    Posted by BBReigns

Having traveled much of the Europe I can honestly say that the urban French are for the most part bungholes. The people in the country side are polar opposites. Interesting that after all the discussions of WW2 I found German people to be exception friendly. They're also exceptionally kninky. Maybe it's the beer.

I'd have to agree with your view of England and Russia. England has the channel and the Russians have hundreds of miles of mostly barren open land that you better get across before winter sets in.

As for Vietnam..we should have learned from the French--stay the hell out

We're having somewhat of the same issue in Afganistan which is more of a collection of independent tribes than a country. The only difference is that we were actually attacked from Afganistan. Too bad we didn't go in there in force after 9/11 instead of invading Iraq. We'd be out of there by now and never would have gone into Iraq in the first place.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I have never been to France, but that is what I have heard.  Paris is like NY.

Some people call it cold and rude, but that's not necessarily the case across the board.  Direct and blunt is probably more applicable in describing the people. Big, wealthy city. 

I have heard the people in the countryside/villages, especially ones that were victims of WWI or WWII (or both in some cases), to be very thankful.

Many memorials and tributes are there honoring Americans and others who gave their life. not just in Normandy either.

England has always been ideally positioned, Russia sat next to an unfortuante weakened Poland, but Russia is Russia. There is a reason why no one gets in there.  Strong willed people and LOTS of them.

Russia won it in the East, US/England/Canada in the West.

France was only 40 million people, while Germany was more like 70 million in the early 1900s.

Vietnam was our ego thinking what happened in S. Korea could happen again.  People didn't want it, for whatever their reasoning is. 

Disagree on Afghanistan, somewhat. The people need to fight for themselves, which as to be reality, and if they don't, yes, it's like a Vietnam.

But, the enemy is clear.

I am one that feels you isolate your enemy when you can, so from a historical perspective as my reason, I have no isssue with what we are doing there.

Of course, if Europe and the US legalized heroin tomorrow the Taliban would have no reason to fight for that land.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Disagree on Afghanistan, somewhat. The people need to fight for themselves, which as to be reality, and if they don't, yes, it's like a Vietnam.

They do fight for themselves. Only thing is they fight tribe against tribe within their own borders. Many of the tribal lords make deals with the Taliban in order to try to gain an edge over their rivals. They're also in the opium poppy business  with them. There is no national identity. Most common people there are focused on just trying to keep their families fed. They look at their leaders as an endless procession of self enriching despots who could care less about the people. The Taliban are just better at torture and killing than their previous masters.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Meh.

I see too many examples of older people who will sell out and help the Taliban, (for the reasons you mention) and not the international forces (mostly US), who are they to help them.

It's fear.

Classic mob type of comparison.

Communism does it, Fascism at its root does it, and extreme right wing cuckoos like Mubarak do it.  Rogue terror pockets do it. 

"They don't love him. They fear him. There's a difference." 

At one time, rebels here feared the King of England until doing something about it.

Same idea.  Has to pretty much come from within.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

^^^Knee jerk moron.

Good point, Evil.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stommmper. Show Stommmper's posts

Meh. I see too many examples of older people who will sell out and help the Taliban, (for the reasons you mention) and not the international forces (mostly US), who are they to help them. It's fear. Classic mob type of comparison. Communism does it, Fascism at its root does it, and extreme right wing cuckoos like Mubarak do it.  Rogue terror pockets do it.  "They don't love him. They fear him. There's a difference."  At one time, rebels here feared the King of England until doing something about it. Same idea.  Has to pretty much come from within.
    Posted by BBReigns

BBREINGS, I have friends here from the Ukraine and Cuba. And for the most part Communism, Facism, Rogue Terror Pockets, The MOB, Right WIng, Left Wing, Socialism, Capitalism. what ever name or label you want to put on it, it's all the same.
    It is nothing more than a force of power to project one dominance over the other. THe Jews over anyone, the Catholic and Protestant wars in Ireland, the Gang Wars here in the USA.
    As for the old people selling out, they have no choice. Once the USA Troops leave, they get beaten or killed. They cant fight back, guess why? There Old!
    Man you are just a big a stooge that likes to run your mouth as if you know everything like Evil.
    You 2 should get married! Your both Pathetic!Kiss

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

No one cares where your friends are from or how many registered names you use here.

Learn to use proper grammar if you expect to be taken seriously in a serious discussion.

Yes, everyone in Afghanistan is old.  Superb logic.

Good thing you included an emicon at the end. That made your whole post.

Sections
Shortcuts