Why the patriots are hated

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Why the patriots are hated

Well well well.  USA today explains it all.   

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2013/01/17/new-england-patriots-fans-hate-them/1566432/

Winningfootballpenisenvy

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

Re: Why the patriots are hated

why can't i click on that?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

link doesn't work anymore but yes people hate winners when it's not them

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:

hockey is back! go bruins!

I agree but why post it here?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to NEGAME2's comment:

why can't i click on that?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2013/01/17/new-england-patriots-fans-hate-them/1566432/

There's a lot to love about the New England Patriots. They're named for Revolutionary War heroes. Tom Brady, their GQ cover-boy quarterback, is married to one of the world's most beautiful women. They play at an exceptionally high level year after year after year.

So how come so many pro football fans outside the half-dozen New England states despise the Patriots with a white-hot, visceral, no-holds-barred hate normally reserved for Darth Vader and the New York Yankees?

Allow Baltimore Ravens linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo to answer that one. In a series of tweets this week, he called out the Patriots as heartless, gimmicky cheaters. Ayanbadejo apologized a day later. Too late: Much of the country agreed with him.

"I don't get it," New England defensive end Rob Ninkovich says. "I love the Patriots."

Well, yes, but he plays for them. He must know lots of fans don't love his team?

"Yeah, sure, definitely," Ninkovich says. "That's part of the game, part of sports. Whenever there's a team that has won for a long time, everyone wants to see them go down. That's just part of winning."

And the Patriots do win. Since the 2001 season, they have played in five Super Bowls and won three.

They must get past Ayanbadejo's Ravens in Sunday's American Football Conference title game, as they did a year ago, to reach a sixth Super Bowl. Much of the country will be rooting for the Ravens — or, more precisely, against the Patriots. That's OK by the Ravens.

"It's nice to have some extra fans on our side," Baltimore guard Marshal Yanda says. "That isn't going to help us on Sunday, but heck, why not? We'll take them. The more, the merrier."

VIDEO: 4 KEYS TO AFC TITLE GAME

Ravens defensive lineman Arthur Jones is the older brother of Patriots defensive lineman Chandler Jones. He loves his brother and doesn't hate his brother's team. But he's happy to have extra fans, too.

"It's a blessing," Arthur Jones says. "The world will be watching. We'll try not to disappoint."

Let's count the ways to hate

The Patriots are widely viewed as rich, entitled, arrogant and smug.

"Don't even ask us to say who we'd be rooting for if they played against the Taliban," says Buffalo Bills fan Rick Keaton, who writes a weekly Bills rant in which he refers to the Patriots exclusively as the Cheetahs.

So why all this hate?

They cheat: No escaping this one. The Patriots got caught red- (white-and-blue) handed taping opponents' sideline signals in 2007. The NFL docked the franchise a No. 1 draft choice and fined coach Bill Belichick $500,000. The flap is so famous that it is known by the simple shorthand Spygate, an appellation that puts the Patriots on the level of burglars from Richard Nixon's White House.

They're ruthless: The Patriots released wide receiver Tiquan Underwood on the eve of last year's Super Bowl. That's either a vivid example of one of the franchise's best corporate traits — never let sentimentality get in the way of improving personnel — or a particularly heartless roster move.

Ayanbadejo tweeted: "You know the same organization that did Spygate and cut a guy the day b4 the Super Bowl."

Their quarterback is a pretty boy: Brady is perhaps the best quarterback of his era and one of the best ever to play. He is married to Brazilian supermodel Gisele Bundchen, who gave birth to a son. How do you hate a guy like that?

"It is especially galling to Bills fans to lose so many hard-fought, rugged NFL games to a metro-sexual QB that wears skinny jeans, Uggs and a tub of hair product," Keaton rants.

Their coach is the smartest guy in the stadium: His friends say Belichick is a personable guy, but one of the greatest coaches of all time has the public personality of a grouch who is openly disdainful of reporters' questions and typically says as little as possible about anything.

"Belichik dresses for games like a ragamuffin Dickensian street urchin and obviously cuts his own hair," Keaton rants. "He is about as entertaining and charming as a fire hydrant."

They hurry up and dink: This is the hardest one to understand, but critics complain about the Patriots' reliance on short passes and their hurry-up attack.

"New England does some suspect stuff on offense," Ayanbadejo tweeted. "Can't really respect it. Comparable to a cheap shot b4 a fight."

Their fans are insufferable: In last year's Super Bowl, hometown Indianapolis Colts fans spent hard-earned cash on New York Giants gear, which they wore proudly to pregame events and to the game itself. Why? To make arrogant Patriots fans who came to Indianapolis feel like they were in enemy territory.

Wherever they go, Patriots fans are generally unwelcome.

"We hate their obnoxious New England snooty persona, the food they eat/smell like —chowda and lobsta — and their generally unearned attitude of football superiority," Keaton rants.

Everybody hates a winner

"I am free of all prejudice," W.C. Fields once said. "I hate everyone equally."

Then again, he didn't live long enough to see the Patriots' Super Bowl era.

Patriots linebacker Jerod Mayo doesn't care what people think who live elsewhere. "I'm all the way up here in New England," he says. "So they love us up here. That's all that matters."

Besides, if other teams hate the Patriots, Mayo figures that's really just a sign of respect.

PHOTOS: Memorable Championship Game moments

None

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Like Cowboys hated in the 90s when they were a dynasty....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I didn't know that BB cut his own hair.  Never would have thought it.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I love it. They hate us because we win, because of how we win, because the Pats are emotionless in order to win, because our QB is a winner of and on the field, because our coach is such a winner he doesn't have to kiss anyones butt to be liked, and because they think Pats fans are arrogant for being in 63% of the last 12 AFCCG's. Yep sounds about right and the only thing they can point to is a "minor" rules violation (the NFL's actual terms for what they violated) 5 years ago, like other teams haven't violated a single rule before or after. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

As counter-point, what's likeable about the Ravens?

So let's get it on, and to hells with the general public whose teams were chewed up and excreted in the gutter in the 2012 season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

It's something to do while you're waiting for tomorrow . .. Go Leafs!  (Up 1-0 against Montreal right now)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

It all boils down to jealousy. All of the stuff is just bs.

I recall hating the Cowboys in the 90's when they won a few as well. 

Besides everyone knows Belichick is an inovator in this league. Ayanbadejo complained about the Pat's tactic to try to rush up to the line a quick snap the ball before the defense is set. What will he have to say when the rest of league is doing it next year along with his Ravens?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ASO9771. Show ASO9771's posts

I love it. They hate us because we win, because of how we win, because the Pats are emotionless in order to win, because our QB is a winner of and on the field, because our coach is such a winner he doesn't have to kiss anyones butt to be liked, and because they think Pats fans are arrogant for being in 63% of the last 12 AFCCG's. Yep sounds about right and the only thing they can point to is a "minor" rules violation (the NFL's actual terms for what they violated) 5 years ago, like other teams haven't violated a single rule before or after. 

+1
    spot on!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

It's something to do while you're waiting for tomorrow . .. Go Leafs!  (Up 1-0 against Montreal right now)

haha i am forever grateful to the leafs ;)

how can we do without them? First Seguin and now Hamilton it's the gift that keeps on giving.

Ricky you'll like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG4mbDGAIqk

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Hey, at least during the lockout no one was ahead of us . . .

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

The Pats have been winning for so long how could an outsider not hate them?  This is one long run in the FA era.  It's not suppose to happen.  So, you gotta have a little bit of jelousy when you see the Patriots in the playoffs year in and year out. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Well well well.  USA today explains it all.   

Winningfootballpenisenvy

Not exactly breaking news, & common. Isn't that why the Giants were suddenly hated here, after being the team of choice in NE pre-AFL?? The Yankees, Celtics & Canadiens?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from xBruzer77. Show xBruzer77's posts

In response to ccsjl's comment:

Like Cowboys hated in the 90s when they were a dynasty....

We refered to them as South America's team in honor of some of their habits.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Do we care what the rest of the country thinks, like we care a lot about teams from the rest of the country?  Root on your team, ignore the rest AND THE NOISE!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsGnome. Show PatsGnome's posts

teams and non Patriot fans dislike us for two reasons:

1.  The team keeps on winning even after, spygate.  

A.  Even more reason to be jealous, and dislike the Patriots.

2.  The Patriots are able to sign UDFA, who help the team.  While other teams sign unrestricted      free agents to large contracts and get nothing out of the player.

A.  As an example, the Patriots signed RB, Jeff Demps as an undrafted free agent.  Yes, Demps is on IR.  Most sports analysts predicted it would happen his first season, because he was in track shape not football shape.

But football fans are still angry the Patriots signed him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

All of the above. Spygate was colossal stupidity; for no good reason. Too many fans are anal nonobjective homers to an utterly obnoxious degree. Yeah, we win too much. If BB was a diplomat we would have already had WW3. Brady does his bizarre metro-sexual stuff that just doesn't sit well with football fans. Pathetically poor image management. But Kraft makes a pile of $$$ because we love him and our team.

Look, I love my team and fellow fans, warts and all. So screw everybody else. Go Pats!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

Hate to say it but the Pats dynasty won't last forever and then everyone will have some other team to hate. What ever happened to the saying "everyone loves a winner"?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

its because we win so much. i agree that spygate was the stupidest thing they've ever done. other teams were doing it and they didn't gain much if any advantage but it looks bad. rival fans blow it out of proportion and use it as an excuse as to why the Patriots are so good.  People love their teams and hate to see one team like the Patriots dominate for so long.  Its all just envy though, deep down they know the Patriots are a great team. 

living on the west coast I've had to go to sports bars to see a couple of games and see first hand how much other fans dislike the Patriots. Its all good though, rather be great and hated than lousy and liked.

Sections
Shortcuts