Why the Patriots may have traded RB Laurence Maroney and a look to the future…

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotzking18. Show patriotzking18's posts

Why the Patriots may have traded RB Laurence Maroney and a look to the future…

www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2010/09/14/patriots-reportedly-pull-off-surprise-trade-rb-laurence-maroney-to-broncos/">Earlier today, the Patriots traded RB Laurence Maroney, a player who entered the preseason primed to be the starter but was left out during the opener. The official reason was for injuries, but I’d have to believe the trade with Denver was in the works, and they didn’t want him to be injured before it happened.

Why? What now?

First, my guesses at the reasoning…

Maroney was in the final year of his contract, as are all the running backs. If they figure Maroney was not going to be a star (which they did), then the assumption is that he’s similar to Fred Taylor, Sammy Morris and BenJarvus Green-Ellis.

Except Taylor is the starter, Morris also plays fullback and Green-Ellis is a special teamer. If Maroney wasn’t going to be the No. 1 guy, how much value on the field does he have?

As for trade compensation, he actually had the most value. Could they have gotten a fourth rounder for the others? Nope. In addition, this clearly means the Patriots were not going to extend Maroney after the season, so they had to get value now.
    But what next?

Taylor is the starter, and the team will simply ride him as long as it can. He may be old, but he’s looked good. Perhaps he can hold on. But I think Morris and Green-Ellis have shown they are capable backups. All of their contracts run out after this season, and Morris and Taylor are on the long side of 30.

So, here’s my final thought: The Patriots will be in perfect position in next year’s draft — with Oakland’s first-rounder — to draft a running back for the future. And I think they will. I’ve already heard internal rumblings about one particular player.

Don’t be surprised if www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ingram_mark00.html">Alabama’s Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram is on their radar. They love his hard-running style, his toughness, and his sterling character. Plus, they can get a good scouting report from Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban. Ingram is a junior, but he’ll likely come out early, especially with talented Trent Richardson on his heels.

Something to watch for.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ponyoto. Show ponyoto's posts

Re: Why the Patriots may have traded RB Laurence Maroney and a look to the future…

Spot on. The Raiders pick will be dedicated to a dominant RB. It may not be Ingram but maybe one in his mold. I am just amazed that Josh Mcdaniels fell for this.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Re: Why the Patriots may have traded RB Laurence Maroney and a look to the future…

They may go running back in the first round. I'd prefer, though, that the Pats take a defensive end and a pass rusher. Adding Marcel Dareus at DE early in the draft and then Jack Crawford at OLB later in the first round may be all that we need for that defense to be all set for the next decade.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

I actually like Trent Richardson more than Engram

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

god I hope not.  I will take a dominant OLB or 3-4 DE with that pick.  RBs are a dime a dozen.  Take an RB in the 2nd rd and another in the 3rd for all I care, but get a game changer on D in the 1st and maybe a RT to bookend with SeaBass.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: Why the Patriots may have traded RB Laurence Maroney and a look to the future…:
    [QUOTE]Spot on. The Raiders pick will be dedicated to a dominant RB. It may not be Ingram but maybe one in his mold. I am just amazed that Josh Mcdaniels fell for this.
    Posted by ponyoto[/QUOTE]

Fell for what?

He got Maroney for next to nothing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

He fell for stealing a RB who could very well rush for 1000 yards in that weak division?

Here is a thought. Green Bay Packers lost Ryan Grant for the season. Anybody here think we could have gotten better then a 4rth for a former #1 rb with over 20 career tds and is only 25 years old.

I think so.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Why the Patriots may have traded RB Laurence Maroney and a look to the future…:
    [QUOTE]god I hope not.  I will take a dominant OLB or 3-4 DE with that pick.  RBs are a dime a dozen.  Take an RB in the 2nd rd and another in the 3rd for all I care, but get a game changer on D in the 1st and maybe a RT to bookend with SeaBass.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]

If he is the next Chris Johnson or Adrian Peterson would you say that?

I think there will be OLB's and DE's available with our next 3 picks in the top 60 that will be close enough to those available in that 8-14 range. We also have a 3rd and two 4th rd picks to use to move up with out 1st 3. Pats don't need depth next draft, they need 3 STARS, and maybe 2 contributors after drafting the most guys in the NFL last 2 years. Early mocks show it is a deep draft for DE's and OLB's.

There are a lot of OLB's in that late 1st rd range,so def look for one there. We do NEED to get a 10 sack multi-year starter for the outside asap. Meanwhile, if Brace is a very good starter and Ty Warren comes back healthy and back to his 04-07 form, we'd be fine plucking a B DE guy 2nd rd... with an A+ RB. Over getting a B-/B RB and an A DE. The only way I see it being wise to pass on Ingram, is if Brace doesn't establish himself and a serious top 8 perfect 3-4 end falls into our laps.

A 2nd rd running back may be just another Maroney, while Ingram could be 5 years, 4 pro-bowls, 7,000 yards and 60 TD's. 

Brady won't have 07 talent Moss/Welker for the next 5 years. Probbaly no Moss and a slowly declining Welker as he goes past 30 and in all likelyhood gets another injury. Brady will also be older. Handing it off to a stud that frees him to chuck it to Tate, Edelman and the TE's is a must, can make him look like Favre did last season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I agree with the above post about taking a RB early 1st rd. Time to bite the bullet and take a shot at getting a blue chipper. Especially if a rookie wage scale is in effect.

Anyway below is my post from the other thread. I am very much against this move and I really hope it doesn't come back to kick us in the pants, but I think it will.

The only thing we did with this trade is announce that we no longer think running the ball is essential to win. As Garytx, PMike and other posters have mentioned Taylor and Morris are injury prone. I hope they wont go down but lets be realistic. They are 34 years old. Maroney was a guy that could come in second half of the year and help wear down opposing defense's.

I see a 2007 scenario happening all over again. We will blow some teams out this year and everybody will say we're great but when the weather turns and Taylor and Morris are icing down rib,shoulder and knee injuries we will forget how to run the ball and set Brady up for some punishment.

This is a terrible move in my opinion. I hope Taylor can be our guy come December otherwise we will have some problems. Familiar problems. Anybody remember 2007 Ravens,Eagles,Jets,Giants, not to mention the defense carrying us against SD in the playoffs?

Why give away solid young athletic depth in the run game? And who cares if we were not going to sign him next year? What about this year?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotzking18. Show patriotzking18's posts

Ingram on Pats' radar already?

5:41PM ET
    New England Patriots

Another after-effect of the Maroney trade, it seems.

Subscribe to Insider for as low as $2.50/month to access the complete rumor insider

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

[QUOTE]Spot on. The Raiders pick will be dedicated to a dominant RB. It may not be Ingram but maybe one in his mold. I am just amazed that Josh Mcdaniels fell for this.
    Posted by ponyoto[/QUOTE]

He didn't 'fall' for anything. He's seen Maroney show promise just like BB did. The Pats no longer have the luxury of waiting for him to reach his potential. He gets this season in Denver to do something. If not he's going to find getting a contract from a quality team a tough sell.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with the above post about taking a RB early 1st rd. Time to bite the bullet and take a shot at getting a blue chipper. Especially if a rookie wage scale is in effect. Anyway below is my post from the other thread. I am very much against this move and I really hope it doesn't come back to kick us in the pants, but I think it will. The only thing we did with this trade is announce that we no longer think running the ball is essential to win. As Garytx, PMike and other posters have mentioned Taylor and Morris are injury prone. I hope they wont go down but lets be realistic. They are 34 years old. Maroney was a guy that could come in second half of the year and help wear down opposing defense's. I see a 2007 scenario happening all over again. We will blow some teams out this year and everybody will say we're great but when the weather turns and Taylor and Morris are icing down rib,shoulder and knee injuries we will forget how to run the ball and set Brady up for some punishment. This is a terrible move in my opinion. I hope Taylor can be our guy come December otherwise we will have some problems. Familiar problems. Anybody remember 2007 Ravens,Eagles,Jets,Giants, not to mention the defense carrying us against SD in the playoffs? Why give away solid young athletic depth in the run game? And who cares if we were not going to sign him next year? What about this year?
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Well said, Champ. This move only makes sense if it's the first domino in a larger play.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Yes, you will see NE move up to take a top running back and then look at outside linebacker. The later rounds will once again be O-line. I would have like to see a bit more for Maroney, but that 4th rounder could prove valuable when packing picks to move up. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

I would prefer to see a great blitzing lb, or dl with the oak pick, another tackle for the future with the pats 1st, the #1 or #2 center on the board with the carolina 2 (usually they are still there) and then go rb with the pats 2, or get a rb in the fa market.. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

[QUOTE]He fell for stealing a RB who could very well rush for 1000 yards in that weak division?
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

He'd have to stay healthy to even have a shot at that yardage. Wink

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why the Patriots may have traded RB Laurence Maroney and a look to the future… : He didn't 'fall' for anything. He's seen Maroney show promise just like BB did. The Pats no longer have the luxury of waiting for him to reach his potential. He gets this season in Denver to do something. If not he's going to find getting a contract from a quality team a tough sell.
    Posted by Evil2010[/QUOTE]

Potential?! He's been in the league for four full seasons.There is no potential. He is what he is. Why can't some people see straight when it comes to Maroney? I just don't get it.

You know what he is? He's that hot chick your buddy is dating. Even though she's a psycho b itch from hell, he can't see it. No one can convince him, no matter what she does to him. He just keeps making excuses and she makes his life a living hell. But somehow, he sees something in her that no objective human does. And everybody celebrates when they finally break up. That's what Maroney is.

The only thing I don't like about this move is we got rid of a body. As awful as he is, he was still a body. And you have to expect Taylor and Morris to go down at some point this year. That would leave us with BJGE and practice squad fodder like Edgerrin James' cousin. But they can't be any worse than Maroney. At least they know the difference between straight ahead and sideways. That's half the battle.

Secondly, there isn't much of a difference between a 4th and a 6th. Maybe in the fourth round it's easier to reach on some "character guys" and get good value. Those guys are gone by the end of the draft.

So now our first two picks from the 06 draft are gone- complete busts. That set us back a bit. Can't win them all I guess. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, you will see NE move up to take a top running back and then look at outside linebacker. The later rounds will once again be O-line. I would have like to see a bit more for Maroney, but that 4th rounder could prove valuable when packing picks to move up. 
    Posted by Macrawn[/QUOTE]

Interesting point Macrawn, but I'd like them to go earlier. I'd actually like to see them use one of the first four picks for the top C or RT in the draft. Assuming Mankins re-signs, imagine having him, Vollmer and a third stud lineman for years to come.

First 4 picks I'd like to see a DE/OLB, DT, RB and C/RT...taken in the order of best player available.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

daniel thomas

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

No offense but I really hope they don't go for a RB in the first. 

RB's are just inherently less valuable than other positions like DE and have short careers.  They don't play every down and there's not a huge drop in talent between 1st and 2nd rounders nor is there any guarantee that a 1st rounder will even be great (Maroney, Addai, Brown, Mcfadden), while plenty of late rounders are great (Jones Drew, Ray Rice, Frank Gore, Matt Forte, Michael Turner).  Add onto that the the best RB's in the NFL like Johnson have not helped their team do well. 

Of the top 5 RB's last year, 3 did not play for playoff teams, including the top 2 (Johnson and Steven Jackson).  I just think think a 2nd or later will be fine.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why the Patriots may have traded RB Laurence Maroney and a look to the future… : If he is the next Chris Johnson or Adrian Peterson would you say that? I think there will be OLB's and DE's available with our next 3 picks in the top 60 that will be close enough to those available in that 8-14 range. We also have a 3rd and two 4th rd picks to use to move up with out 1st 3. Pats don't need depth next draft, they need 3 STARS, and maybe 2 contributors after drafting the most guys in the NFL last 2 years. Early mocks show it is a deep draft for DE's and OLB's. There are a lot of OLB's in that late 1st rd range,so def look for one there. We do NEED to get a 10 sack multi-year starter for the outside asap. Meanwhile, if Brace is a very good starter and Ty Warren comes back healthy and back to his 04-07 form, we'd be fine plucking a B DE guy 2nd rd... with an A+ RB. Over getting a B-/B RB and an A DE. The only way I see it being wise to pass on Ingram, is if Brace doesn't establish himself and a serious top 8 perfect 3-4 end falls into our laps. A 2nd rd running back may be just another Maroney, while Ingram could be 5 years, 4 pro-bowls, 7,000 yards and 60 TD's.  Brady won't have 07 talent Moss/Welker for the next 5 years. Probbaly no Moss and a slowly declining Welker as he goes past 30 and in all likelyhood gets another injury. Brady will also be older. Handing it off to a stud that frees him to chuck it to Tate, Edelman and the TE's is a must, can make him look like Favre did last season.
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

To start, no I dont want Adrian "fumbles" Peterson.  I will take a more solid, less explosive guy that doesnt lose us games.  Next, Ingram, didnt he just have an injury? arthroscopic procedure on his injured left knee to be exact?  Not a risk I want to take.  And that same pick can turn into another Maroney just as easily.  Ingram isnt even the best RB on his team in some people's opinion. 
    As far as using the next 3 picks on DE and OLB.  3-4 DEs that are dominant get taken fast and dont fall to the end of the first much less the 2nd rds.  Dominant pass rushing OLB with correct 3-4 size also dont last.  Wasnt Demarcus Ware the 11th over all pick?  Guys that can play BOTH the run and pass dont last.  Good running backs do fall often.  S Jackson on the Rams, 24th pick.  M Barber 3rd rd. Backs are a dime a dozen.  For every great early back there is a bust or so so back.  I am not saying not to get TBrady weapons to help him.  I love the idea of a good running game. Just not using an early pick on one.  Too many good ones fall later into the draft.  And taking one with a recent injury makes no sense to me.
    Brady also doesnt have to put up 30+ a game if we have a killer top 3 in defensive scoring allowed D.  Brady won with crappy to so so WRs.  I actually prefer him with good but not great WRs.  I am in the minority, but want Moss to go if the money can be better spent elsewhere. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I don't think we should take a RB in the 1st for a couple good reasons.

Our O is a damn good passing offense and with the addition of the young TE's and inside guys like Edelman and Welker we don't need a homerun hitting RB. What we need is hard hitting back that will hit the hole and average 3.5-4 yards a carry every time getting the short yards and keeping the defense honest while punishing them (think Dillon and his punishing affect as the game went on). You can get one of these larger RB/FB type backs in the 2nd and save the 1st for more pressing needs on D

The D, however, needs a pash rush or DE bad. With Oak's pick you can get one of the top end DE or DE/OLB tweeners and finish the defensive rebuild. With a high D pick we could have a top 5 D and a top 5 O within a couple years if not that year. Without that top DE or DE/Tweener I have trouble seeing on front 7 improving through FA next year.

As for the 2nd 1st round we have, well you can get a top end G or C late in the 1st. This is where the O should be improved replacing Mankins if he doesn't resign or replacing Koppen/Neal as they're getting close to retiring. This will go longer to help Brady and any new RB then getting a blue chipper.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Totally agree with this POST by king18.  I agree here - I think the Pats are looking to add a BIG TIME RB in next years draft - Specifically Mark Ingram!  I would love to see Brady Have a BIG TIME BACK behind him! wow.

But that's next year - let's worry about this yr first...lol.

GO PATS!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

They would not have re-signed him, SO essentially,  they got something for nothing.

This may have even opened up a slot to use the Raider's pick to seriously look at a feature back. Ingram anyone?

Also worth a look:
    Jacquizz Rodgers, LaMichael James and Dion Lewis.

I hope BB sees the value in drafting a feature back.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why the Patriots may have traded RB Laurence Maroney and a look to the future… : To start, no I dont want Adrian "fumbles" Peterson.  I will take a more solid, less explosive guy that doesnt lose us games.  Next, Ingram, didnt he just have an injury? arthroscopic procedure on his injured left knee to be exact?  Not a risk I want to take.  And that same pick can turn into another Maroney just as easily.  Ingram isnt even the best RB on his team in some people's opinion.  As far as using the next 3 picks on DE and OLB.  3-4 DEs that are dominant get taken fast and dont fall to the end of the first much less the 2nd rds.  Dominant pass rushing OLB with correct 3-4 size also dont last.  Wasnt Demarcus Ware the 11th over all pick?  Guys that can play BOTH the run and pass dont last.  Good running backs do fall often.  S Jackson on the Rams, 24th pick.  M Barber 3rd rd. Backs are a dime a dozen.  For every great early back there is a bust or so so back.  I am not saying not to get TBrady weapons to help him.  I love the idea of a good running game. Just not using an early pick on one.  Too many good ones fall later into the draft.  And taking one with a recent injury makes no sense to me. Brady also doesnt have to put up 30+ a game if we have a killer top 3 in defensive scoring allowed D.  Brady won with crappy to so so WRs.  I actually prefer him with good but not great WRs.  I am in the minority, but want Moss to go if the money can be better spent elsewhere. 
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]

i'd rather draft the next Ware and sign DeAngelo Williams then draft the next Adrian Peterson and sign the next Adalius Thomas...

That ok with you?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

Well, as I've hinted at previously, DeAngelo Williams, Jamaal Charles or Michael Bush, (one of them), on top of a re-signed Kevin Faulk, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, and maybe Fred Taylor too, seems to me like a strong enough backfield to be featured in the New England Patriots offense in 2011. Ultimately, I think we'll see the team manage their business this way. Reasonably cheap contract-wise, those three aforementioned guys know the Patriots system and they must have a good feel for their teammates too. Add another feature 'back and I think we've got ourselves a great group to root for.

Faulk enjoys football, he gets paid, he's with his wife and family, and his comfort level with New England, with his teammates, and with his role on the team must make for an ideal situation to be in. Without ever being a guy who handled a bulk of the carries, (and beyond his college days at LSU), I think Kevin Faulk's body can handle another two-to-three years wear and tear.

BenJarvus Green-Ellis, (after some of the encouraging signs I am seeing), looks like an athlete hungry for a greater role on game-day. With progress and steps being made along the way, I can definitely see this young man getting himself signed to a new contract and turning in some fair contributions over the course of the next few years.

Fred Taylor is a toss up I suppose, but as much as anyone, he looks primed for another respectable year of spot-play as a reserve and mentor to others. 2011 could definitely be a nice final year for Fred Taylor.

Now if you can snag Jamaal Charles, or maybe manage to acquire DeAngelo Williams, or even settle on a talented guy like Michael Bush out of Oakland, then we as fans get to watch what could be a very sound, complimentary stable of runningbacks. Likewise there are a couple of rookies onboard competing and adding to the team. Javarris James can probably add something. Nice, ideal situation that actually has a shot at happening, no?

Sections
Shortcuts