Why the Pats shouldn't draft a DB in the 2nd

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Why the Pats shouldn't draft a DB in the 2nd

Here's why:

Darius Butler
    Terrence Wheatly
    Rasi- downling

I hope the don't screw it again this season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Why the Pats shouldn't draft a DB in the 2nd

In Response to Why the Pats shouldn't draft a DB in the 2nd:
    [QUOTE]Here's why: Darius Butler Terrence Wheatly Rasi- downling I hope the don't screw it again this season.
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

Here's a better reason.  I think McCourty will play better next year, Arrington was pretty solid and Moore showed a lot of potential at the end of the season and made some big plays.  Also need to give Ras-I some time to see if he can stay on the field, but I think the kid has talent.  They need another safety to go with Chung as bad safety play (particularly when he was out) during parts of the season made McCourty look worse on top of some regression.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

McCourty had better improve, because I'd hate to see another wasted first rounder. He looked ok at safety at times this post season. 

Certainly better than he did at CB.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Maybe Chung and McCourty end up being the Pats' safety duo.  If this happens, then the problems in the secondary get a little easier to solve because you really just need to bring in one very good corner to have a reasonable secondary.  If McCourty isn't the answer at FS, you end up needing both a safety and a corner. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I believe DB is considered the second hardest position to play in the NFL (QB is #1)

Takes a while to get "it"

Right now we need a veteran.

Carlos Rogers would be my guy. San Fran needs to use the tag on Goldson and may not be able to keep Rogers. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

This could be a bit of a crazy suggestion. But what about gettin Jim Leonard to play the other safety for us. I think it's possible, first of all he's Rex's guy on that D so he'll know alot about the Jets that's an instant advantage, the second reason is he's 29 and proven maybe not great but solid and quite the leader which we need in the secondary if we're goin to be honest about it. The reasons I think it's a possibility to pick the guy up are because their financial situation at the minute is one of the worst in the league in terms of cap room(do they have enough to resign leonard?) and as well as that they've resigned punks like Holmes and Cromartie. My feeling is this could lead to him feeling undervalued and therefore might want to jump ship. Finally he's ended the past 2 seasons on IR, now this could be entirely down to bad luck or he could be becoming injury prone this could lead to doubt about his future, this possibly means we could get him on the cheap so bring him in if the price is right see if there's anything left and go from there. If nothing else the Jets lose what has been a major cog in their D since Rex arrived!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think we had better bite the bullet and get a good veteran corner, there's a reason why we are 25 million under the cap, it's because we tried to build the secondary through the draft and it failed. Corners are big money tickets, I can understand the logic in trying to save millions by hitting with one of the 42,000 second rounders they used at that position.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

I'm excited about the possibility of a healthy Dowling. I thought he looked good during the small amount of playing time he had this past season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

In response to "Re: Why the Pats shouldn't draft a DB in the 2nd": [QUOTE]I'm excited about the possibility of a healthy Dowling. I thought he looked good during the small amount of playing time he had this past season. Posted by IndianaPatsFan[/QUOTE] I thought Dowling looked pretty good too. The problem is tat he's never been able to stay on the field at every level he's played on. Certainly wouldn't count on him lasting a full NFL season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

I remember posting on this board last year that the Pats should try to sign Asomugha and was told that the Pats had one of the best tandems in the league with Bodden and McCourty.  Maybe Asomugha wasn't a realistic target but the Pats badly needed help there thats for sure.

They need some takent at that position to stop the air attacks they were vulnerable to this year.  Make the QB hold the ball a little longer and the D line will get to them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

In Response to Re: Why the Pats shouldn't draft a DB in the 2nd:
    [QUOTE]I remember posting on this board last year that the Pats should try to sign Asomugha and was told that the Pats had one of the best tandems in the league with Bodden and McCourty.  Maybe Asomugha wasn't a realistic target but the Pats badly needed help there thats for sure. They need some takent at that position to stop the air attacks they were vulnerable to this year.  Make the QB hold the ball a little longer and the D line will get to them.
    Posted by stillgridlocked[/QUOTE]
    Thats because on paper with the season McCourty had in 2010 and pre-injury Bodden we were pretty stacked at CB, but that was paper and sometimes it doesnt translate

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I am hoping Dowling comes back strong. We have not seen enough of him to know for sure(1+ games where the team did not play good pass defense early in the year).

I am hoping McCourty moves back to CB as well and gets his mojo back. I think the cover skills he showed as a rookie are wasted playing so far off the ball at FS. I am not sold on Moore or Molden. Hopefully, they will be sixth or seventh DBs at best.

Hopefully, after years of being a mess the defensive backfield in general can finally become a strength of this team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

so what's up with bodden this year? is he healthy finally? wouldn't mind bringing him to camp

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

Yeah you mean I was right.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why the Pats shouldn't draft a DB in the 2nd : Thats because on paper with the season McCourty had in 2010 and pre-injury Bodden we were pretty stacked at CB, but that was paper and sometimes it doesnt translate
    Posted by thejoshuatree28[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe Chung and McCourty end up being the Pats' safety duo.  If this happens, then the problems in the secondary get a little easier to solve because you really just need to bring in one very good corner to have a reasonable secondary.  If McCourty isn't the answer at FS, you end up needing both a safety and a corner. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Agreed, add Rodgers or Finnegan and things seem a whole lot better.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]I'm excited about the possibility of a healthy Dowling. I thought he looked good during the small amount of playing time he had this past season.
    Posted by IndianaPatsFan[/QUOTE]

I thought so too. Love his size.  What was his injury, a hammy?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Ras-I has potential and looked decent in his short time playing, if, and this is a BIG IF, he stays healthy, we might be good at corner. Provided McCourty goes back to what he was as a rookie and Arrington mans the slot.

Our corners would look a lot better with a dominant front seven rushing the QB, just look at Carlos Rodgers, scrub for a long time, goes to San Fran and turns into a star. Not because he has done a 180 and become a shutdown corner, its because that front seven there is disgustingly good and he has to cover for less time...

Personally, I hope BB goes for Mario Williams this season, he is in his prime and would be an instant upgrade. If not, at least get one of the three decent safeties in FA. Tyvon Branch, Griffin or Landry would solidify this secondary.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

are you saying draft them in the first?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

In response to "Re: Why the Pats shouldn't draft a DB in the 2nd": [QUOTE]are you saying draft them in the first? Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE] If they use a first round pick on a CB I'll throw up in my mouth

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Depending on how the draft pans out and who's available, I suspect BB will draft a safety in round 2, and a CB in round 1.  Rasi looked very good in what limited time he had, but the knock on him was he was made of glass, and low and behold.  As for DMac, we can only cross our fingers and hope this was just a really bad sophmore slump, but BB can't bank on that.  He's going to have to make some serious moves back there and if Rasi and DMac come back and on strong so much the better. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from profootball. Show profootball's posts

Yeah, they should draft 2 DBs in the first round. This is a chance for the DB upgrade.

Sections
Shortcuts