Why the Pats traded for Prescott Burgess.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Why the Pats traded for Prescott Burgess.

Since I haven't seen it posted I thought I would just add  my two cents.  Looks like Burgess was just brought in for some inside info on the Ravens defense.  No matter, the Pats don't lose their 7th rd pick since he was never activated.  Glad to see BB is still playing Chess while the Ravens are just playing checkers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Re: Why the Pats traded for Prescott Burgess.

In Response to Why the Pats traded for Prescott Burgess.:
    Since I haven't seen it posted I thought I would just add  my two cents.  Looks like Burgess was just brought in for some inside info on the Ravens defense.  No matter, the Pats don't lose their 7th rd pick since he was never activated.  Glad to see BB is still playing Chess while the Ravens are just playing checkers.
    Posted by Grogan77

BB isn't the only one who does this kind of stuff.....and the Pats haven't exactly won the game yet.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

How about who gives a sh*t.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rpn123321. Show rpn123321's posts

Actually, that is just a bonus move for them to know about the Ravens. The real reason isn't for the Ravens, it's for the jets defensive schemes, since Burgess knows rex ryans plays, and they haven't changed since he joined the Jets.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Right, some guy who wasn't worth a 7th round pick knew more about the Ravens/Jets defense than the greatest coach in the history of the NFL.  I'm sure BB sat at his feet while this kid taught him the mystery of the Rex Ryan blitz.  
    While we're at it, we better pick up Chad Jackon to teach us about the Broncos offense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Why the Pats traded for Prescott Burgess.:
    Right, some guy who wasn't worth a 7th round pick knew more about the Ravens/Jets defense than the greatest coach in the history of the NFL.  I'm sure BB sat at his feet while this kid taught him the mystery of the Rex Ryan blitz.   While we're at it, we better pick up Chad Jackon to teach us about the Broncos offense.
    Posted by themightypatriotz

So you think there is absolutely no value in picking a players brain for some defensive intelligence?  No one said Belichick was going to shape his game plan solely on what Prescott Burgess had to say.......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

In Response to Re: Why the Pats traded for Prescott Burgess. : So you think there is absolutely no merit to picking a players brain for some defensive secrets and tendencies?  No one said Belichick is shaping his game plan solely on what Prescott Burgess had to say.......
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

IMO picking his brain was not why they made the trade, it was due to the need for depth at the linebacker position. Most likely he failed the physical or could not perform on the field to meet expectations. What could he possibly bring to the table that BB and the coaching staff does not already know about the Ranens defensive schme?  Had he been on the offensive side of the ball he may have had some useful info. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Why the Pats traded for Prescott Burgess. : IMO picking his brain was not why they made the trade, it was due to the need for depth at the linebacker position. Most likely he failed the physical or could not perform on the field to meet expectations. What could he possibly bring to the table that BB and the coaching staff does not already know about the Ranens defensive schme?  Had he been on the offensive side of the ball he may have had some useful info. 
    Posted by sonieboy

Well no one really knows why they traded for him so that is irrelevant.  However, how can you assume that a coaching staff knows everything there is to know about an opponents defense....there is only so much info you can gather watching film.  You're telling me Burgess couldn't provide them with any info on defensive calls or audibles or info on stunts or blitze packages?  Heck even some info on Baltimores special teams would provide some value.  The more info, they receive on an opponent, the better.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

In Response to Re: Why the Pats traded for Prescott Burgess. : IMO picking his brain was not why they made the trade, it was due to the need for depth at the linebacker position. Most likely he failed the physical or could not perform on the field to meet expectations. What could he possibly bring to the table that BB and the coaching staff does not already know about the Ranens defensive schme?  Had he been on the offensive side of the ball he may have had some useful info. 
    Posted by sonieboy

No it wasn't, don't believe everything you read.    It was a shrewd move by BB and a dumb move by the Ravens.  They got nothing in return and BB took advantage of any info possible.  BB is know for gaining any advantage no matter how small.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

just look at the jets tape,and you will have the ravens.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaineOsFan. Show MaineOsFan's posts

Rex Ryan is gone from the Ravens. The current defense is not just a carbon copy of the Jets. Greg Mattison is the new def. coordinator and this is only his second year with the Ravens - his style and philosophy are not a mirror image of Ryan, who was with the Ravens for several years. Mattison is not as exotic and you won't see as many blitzes coming from all over the place. It is a more basic defense with usually only four rushing the passer. The Ravens corners (Foxworth and Washington) are not big but fast, and since Foxworth just came in this year and Washington is also relatively new there have been some communciation problems in the secondary leading to some big plays, esp. in the San Diego game. The Ravens have talent and depth on the D-line and at linebacker and are very tough to run on. The Patriots will have to rely on Brady and I'm sure the Ravens will be sending extra people at times to disrupt him in the backfield but not as much as the Jets. Still I think the Ravens are saving a few surprises for Sunday.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Prescott Burgess lands on practice squad

Waived when team signed Terdell Sands

September 30, 2009, 8:59 AM

By: Mike Reiss

Linebacker Prescott Burgess cleared waivers Tuesday and will sign with the Patriots practice squad Wednesday.

The Patriots will need to make a move on their practice squad to create room for Burgess, who adds important depth at linebacker where the team is thin.

Burgess was acquired from the Ravens in a trade last Tuesday. He was waived Monday when the Patriots signed free agent defensive lineman Terdell Sands.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

funny prescott is on the practice squad now.... so the Ravens didn't really ahve an interest to take him back

plus if the ravens though prescott had any value of info to give the Pats do you think they would have given him up 2 wks before playing them?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

They didn't pick him up for that.  They were thin at linebacker and could not run certain things at practice that they want to run.  The guy is solid.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

Prescott Burgess lands on practice squad Waived when team signed Terdell Sands September 30, 2009, 8:59 AM By: Mike Reiss   Linebacker Prescott Burgess cleared waivers Tuesday and will sign with the Patriots practice squad Wednesday. The Patriots will need to make a move on their practice squad to create room for Burgess, who adds important depth at linebacker where the team is thin. Burgess was acquired from the Ravens in a trade last Tuesday. He was waived Monday when the Patriots signed free agent defensive lineman Terdell Sands.  
    Posted by Harleyroadking111

That is what is clever about the "conditional pick" for Burgess. They have to give up a 7th round if Burgess stayed on the team, but they cut him and now he is on the PS, so BB does not have to give up that 7th pick, and yet they still keep Burgess. They will have to keep him on the ps for the rest of the season, but the word out of Ravens camp is that he was promising and was a numbers casualty.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

look at how this played out:

1) we pick up Burgess (giving up a 7th)
    2) Wilfork gets hurt
    3) we release Burgess (getting out 7th back)
    4) we pick up Terdell
    5) Burgess lands on practice squad (now we have 7th, and the player)

Booyah.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Interesting.  I agree as all these theories make sense.  I do think they are searching though to find someone (Burgess Bruce davis, etc.) who they can develop.  It's not that they want to develop just anyone.  It has to be someone that fits. 

My only question is that other teams (i.e. Steelers, Ravens, etc.)  Seem to be able to draft good LB's year in and year out.  I almost think it's a scouting thing with the Pats.  Sort of like the old Red Sox, all they could draft back in the day was power hitting right handed hitters.  No pitching.  Now, they draft exceptionally well.  Could it be that the scouts simply had a hard time identifying solid LB material???  The only reason I bring it up, is because they haven't exactly set the world on fire with their last several drafts.  If they did, I'd shutup. 

In fairness, I think the Crable thing has set them back.  If things went according to plan, he'd be starting with Mayo, but he's been injured.

Thoughts??

Sections
Shortcuts