Why trade Mallett?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Why trade Mallett?

Isn't Mallett worth keeping for at least one more year?  I mean who is going to be a better back up for the Pats?  I don't think they should trade Mallett at all, unless they truly believe there is a better back up out there.  A QB like Mallet on this Pats team is a good back up.  They could transform into a ground and pound team to keep Mallett comfortable - God for bid something happens to Brady.  With Ridley, Vereen, Bolden, and Washington there are more then enough options to run 30+ times a game.  This defense is finally tranding in the right direction to compliment that type of game.    

If Pats want picks they should just trade down, which I am assuming they already plan on doing.  

Keep Mallett.  You just never know...

When you read this report below and you consider he has been getting arguable the best coaching out there for the last 2 years... he is more valuable as a back up then a second or third round pick.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/541618-2011-nfl-draft-ryan-mallett-scouting-report 

Most QB's are rushed into action and why they fail, so when his number is called we'll know exactly what Mallett is going to bring with 2 years of solid training under his belt.  

I reiterate that Mallett is more important to the team at this moment than a trade chip.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Why trade Mallett?

What??? We have no idea what Mallett can do in a game, because he has tbrown 4 NFL passes in his 2 years I with the Pats.

If TB went down, I have a lot more confidence in a guy like McCoy managing a game and throwing  12-20 passes per game. He has a body of work and has shown he can play in the right system in the NFL.

If someone is foolish enough to pull the trigger on Mallett for a 2 or even a 1 Pats have to do it, and bring in a vet who will accept a number 2 role, but can come in and actually play.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

What??? We have no idea what Mallett can do in a game, because he has tbrown 4 NFL passes in his 2 years I with the Pats.

If TB went down, I have a lot more confidence in a guy like McCoy managing a game and throwing  12-20 passes per game. He has a body of work and has shown he can play in the right system in the NFL.

If someone is foolish enough to pull the trigger on Mallett for a 2 or even a 1 Pats have to do it, and bring in a vet who will accept a number 2 role, but can come in and actually play.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/378347-why-colt-mccoy-is-not-the-answer-for-the-cleveland-browns

That article was written in 2010.  You're comepletely wrong in your assessment while respect your opinion.  I will take 'upside' with my argument as to why I would take Mallett over McCoy 100 times.  

Mallett while still an unknown was rated just slightly under Newton which is a compliment to his skill set.  If Cassel was  an underafted guy who hadn't started since high school and went 11-5, I feel BB can possible make some magic with Mallett and his upside 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/378347-why-colt-mccoy-is-not-the-answer-for-the-cleveland-browns

That article was written in 2010.  You're comepletely wrong in your assessment while respect your opinion.  I will take 'upside' with my argument as to why I would take Mallett over McCoy 100 times.  

Mallett while still an unknown was rated just slightly under Newton which is a compliment to his skill set.  If Cassel was  an underafted guy who hadn't started since high school and went 11-5, I feel BB can possible make some magic with Mallett and his upside 

Are you for real? This article was written before McCoy played, and called Clausen and Tebow better prospects. I am not saying McCoy is a star, but he has played 25 NFL games and has thrown over 700 NFL passes. 

My comment about McCoy is also based on the Pats trading Mallett for a 1 or 2. I am not debating who could be a better QB, of course Mallett could be, but he also could not be. It also stands to reason if TB stays healthy, Mallett may never play a full game for the Pats and walk in 2 years. Pats have to pull the trigger if someone offers something ridiculous. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Am I for real, yes. Sorry to make you upset.  

There is no way Pats get a first for Mallett (you can't be for real) I ahve no idea were you got that from anhyways, and when did anyone say Pats would get that type of compensation?  At least I never said that.  For some reason you are taking this way ahead of what my point was.  I think right now....  Mallett is worth more to pats then a late second, because the QB position is hardest to find.  And his raw ability a lone is worth keeping for at least one more year.  Ptas must have liked him and his potential enough to let him be the lone back up last year, and to also let oyer go who they liked a little bit too.  That's all I am saying.  Mallett is not worth trading right now. Btw that McCoy example was mterrible though man.  I am not trying to attack you.  Just sayin'...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

There is no way Pats get a first for Mallett (you can't be for real) I ahve no idea were you got that from anhyways, and when did anyone say Pats would get that type of compensation?  At least I never said that.  For some reason you are taking this way ahead of what my point was.  I think right now....  Mallett is worth more to pats then a late second, because the QB position is hardest to find.  And his raw ability a lone is worth keeping for at least one more year.  Ptas must have liked him and his potential enough to let him be the lone back up last year, and to also let oyer go who they liked a little bit too.  That's all I am saying.  Mallett is not worth trading right now. Btw that McCoy example was mterrible though man.  I am not trying to attack you.  Just sayin'...

What's the point of keeping him rather than taking a 2 if he is never going to play.

I guess the part I am missing is you are touting his potential, rather than his readiness to play. 

My thought is he will never realize his potential unless Brady goes down for the year. If the Pats need a guy for a half or a game or three, I don't see Mallett as being ready. 

Do I like Mallett long term? Maybe. But I see him walking in two years. 

I also see Malletts value NOW due to having him under control at low cost for two years. Holding him until next year, cuts his value in half IMO 

Btw, your not upsetting me, I simply don't see your side. Posting a link that says Claussen and Tebow are better QB choices than McCoy also lowers your credibility

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Just adding a little info to your discussion. though you think they won't get a 1rst or a 2nd round draft choice,I will tell you that unless BB has determined that he's a total bust he won't take less than that as he spent a 3rd round choice on him in the first place. I would rather they keep him as there are no QB's in this draft even close to comparable to his talent level including Geno Smith or Matt Barkley. Just my observation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

If Brady goes down, they aren't going to win a championship whether Mallett or McCoy or anybody else is backing him up, period. So what's the difference?

I said this in one of the other of several Mallett threads, they didn't draft this guy to sit for 4 years and then leave as a UFA. That means they trade him or they trade Brady. My money is on Mallett.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Hey we got Kafka just for this purpose! If Brady goes down we just need a caretaker to get us the best possible draft position available. I was sort of hoping we would just have Edelman as our #2, but we haven't resigned him yet. (Joking here!)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

If Brady goes down, they aren't going to win a championship whether Mallett or McCoy or anybody else is backing him up, period. So what's the difference?

I said this in one of the other of several Mallett threads, they didn't draft this guy to sit for 4 years and then leave as a UFA. That means they trade him or they trade Brady. My money is on Mallett.

Agree with you

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Isn't Mallett worth keeping for at least one more year?  I mean who is going to be a better back up for the Pats?  I don't think they should trade Mallett at all, unless they truly believe there is a better back up out there.  A QB like Mallet on this Pats team is a good back up.  They could transform into a ground and pound team to keep Mallett comfortable - God for bid something happens to Brady.  With Ridley, Vereen, Bolden, and Washington there are more then enough options to run 30+ times a game.  This defense is finally tranding in the right direction to compliment that type of game.    

If Pats want picks they should just trade down, which I am assuming they already plan on doing.  

When you read this report below and you consider he has been getting arguable the best coaching out there for the last 2 years... he is more valuable as a back up then a second or third round pick.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/541618-2011-nfl-draft-ryan-mallett-scouting-report 

Most QB's are rushed into action and why they fail, so when his number is called we'll know exactly what Mallett is going to bring with 2 years of solid training under his belt.  

I reiterate that Mallett is more important to the team at this moment than a trade chip.  

If someone wants Mallet for a second -say Cleveland or KC or Minny-I would jump on it -TB has already said he wants to play until he's a grandfather,(the guy just can't get enough football), so why have this guy hold a clipboard and in a year or two you'll lose him anyway. And if TB goes down the chance Mallet takes us to the Big One and wins is probably slim. So ya get something like an early 2nd for a guy that was a third round pick-let's win while we have Brady because once he's gone can easily see the Pats dropping sharply.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to jimmytantric's comment:

If someone wants Mallet for a second -say Cleveland or KC or Minny-I would jump on it -TB has already said he wants to play until he's a grandfather,(the guy just can't get enough football), so why have this guy hold a clipboard and in a year or two you'll lose him anyway. And if TB goes down the chance Mallet takes us to the Big One and wins is probably slim. So ya get something like an early 2nd for a guy that was a third round pick-let's win while we have Brady because once he's gone can easily see the Pats dropping sharply.

why is he getting arguably the best coaching available? Remind me again other than Brady all of the QB's BB has developed in his coaching career? Or does sitting next to Brady and listening to BB mean he is getting great coaching?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

A few things to clear up:

1. While WE may not know how good Mallet is BB sees him in practice EVERY DAY and has so for a couple of years. He may not know for sure how he will perform in critical situations but he should have some idea by now of what he has got.

2. If BB thinks he is expecially good he will not want to give him up for a song... BUT

3. If he wont be able to sign him before the end of his contract he might try to trade him in order to get something.

4. If he is just OK then BB will likely take a reasonable offer.

Bottom line is that BB knos better what he has because, at least, we have not seen the guy. But to say he has no upside outside of whatever BB knows is just foolish. The guy had an arm and only fell out of the 1-2 rounds because of fof field issues.

I would love to have a draft pick (1-2) for him because he is "just" a back up. But I dont know what BB knows nor what other teams are willing to give for the guy. If BB were to turn down a trade I would think he would only because he likes Mallett more.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Breaking news on NFL.com

Mallet is traded to Arizona for this year's second round pick for the Cardinals. Mallet is saying he loves the the trade and he has a better receiver in Fitzgerald than any one avialable in NE. He looks forward to showing the world what he can do in Arizona.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

link?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:

link?

www.nfl.som/april1st.html

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i am assuming this is an awful april fools day prank?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:

i am assuming this is an awful april fools day prank?

Not entirely awful, given all the rumors. So there was a little believability to that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Just adding a little info to your discussion. though you think they won't get a 1rst or a 2nd round draft choice,I will tell you that unless BB has determined that he's a total bust he won't take less than that as he spent a 3rd round choice on him in the first place. I would rather they keep him as there are no QB's in this draft even close to comparable to his talent level including Geno Smith or Matt Barkley. Just my observation.

What you said "there are no QB's in this draft even close to comparable to his talent level", combined with low cost for two years, really ups his trade value, IMO.  Should we dio it?  I don't know.  It is clear, however, that Mallet is not Brady's "Luck".  He is NOT our long term replacement.  That happens in the draft that takes place at least two years from now.  If Brady were 40 now, then Mallet wuld be that replacement in a year or so.  So, I guess I wiould trade him for a one or two and pick up a seasioned veteran as backup for now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to jimmytantric's comment:

why is he getting arguably the best coaching available? Remind me again other than Brady all of the QB's BB has developed in his coaching career? Or does sitting next to Brady and listening to BB mean he is getting great coaching?

oh, the ignorance in this post....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I gotta wonder what Mallet thinks.. He is getting more knowledge then a young player could ever hope for.  Bill Bellichick, TFB, It doesn't get any better then that!!  But his chances of playing are zero for the next few years (I hope).  A players biggest dream is to lead a NFL team on the field and he isn't going to get that for a while as a Patriot. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Pats are high on Kafka and he would do as good a job a Mallett in a fill-in position . . . so I would not be surprised at all if Mallett is traded for a 2nd  rounder or a 3rd and 6th round pick . . . then they take a QB in the draft with the 6th round pick (Landry of Oklahoma fits their "system" and actually has a better deep arm than Brady . . . and with the third they'd take Kenny Stills from the Sooners). 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Why does my point keep getting pushed off here....

You need a good back up in this league.  I guess I like the 'potential' that Mallett has through the things I have read over time and compared to what is available right now. 

Do I trade Mallett for a number 1 pick - obviously, but I highly doubt a team would offer that.

So I feel he is more valuable on the team. 

Am I now clear? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

True.  I mean they have not won a SB in 8 years, so I wouldn't expect different results with another QB anyways.

I have always been a long believer of just make the playoffs and give me something to root for type of fan......

So again.. yes I want a capable back up.  It was nice to see Cassell bring the Pats to 11-5.  Better then what the Colts put on the field when Manning went down. 

Sections
Shortcuts