Why trade Mallett?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Why trade Mallett?

I have no wish to become a party to a flame war but I have to ask:  Is there an example of head coach who 'developed' a quarterback while he had a world class qb as his starter?  Please don't point to Montanna/Young.  Steve Young was already developed and waiting for his shot when Joe moved on.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Mallet to the cards?   Carson palmer has to back up someone. If you were the cards do you trade lets say a 4 th for Palmer.  Then he costs 8 m per for 2 years vs mallet for a second. For 16 m you could lock him up for 4 years.  Guaranteed money anyway.   The cards are running out of choices.  They need to protect who ever is back there.   I personally think mallet forthis years 3 rd and next years 3 rd is more realistic of a price.  

Edit.  Lombardi I bet may hit that bait too.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

McCoy to the 49'ers as back up. Seems Harbaugh thinks he can do wonders with McCoy.

Palmer to the Cards. If Mallett is traded, is Hoyer available to come back?

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

McCoy to back up Kaepernick? How is that going to work? I think of the two to be very different types of QB. I don't get it.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to jimmytantric's comment:

In response to Getzo's comment:

Isn't Mallett worth keeping for at least one more year?  I mean who is going to be a better back up for the Pats?  I don't think they should trade Mallett at all, unless they truly believe there is a better back up out there.  A QB like Mallet on this Pats team is a good back up.  They could transform into a ground and pound team to keep Mallett comfortable - God for bid something happens to Brady.  With Ridley, Vereen, Bolden, and Washington there are more then enough options to run 30+ times a game.  This defense is finally tranding in the right direction to compliment that type of game.    

If Pats want picks they should just trade down, which I am assuming they already plan on doing.  

Keep Mallett.  You just never know...

When you read this report below and you consider he has been getting arguable the best coaching out there for the last 2 years... he is more valuable as a back up then a second or third round pick.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/541618-2011-nfl-draft-ryan-mallett-scouting-report 

Most QB's are rushed into action and why they fail, so when his number is called we'll know exactly what Mallett is going to bring with 2 years of solid training under his belt.  

I reiterate that Mallett is more important to the team at this moment than a trade chip.  

If someone wants Mallet for a second -say Cleveland or KC or Minny-I would jump on it -TB has already said he wants to play until he's a grandfather,(the guy just can't get enough football), so why have this guy hold a clipboard and in a year or two you'll lose him anyway. And if TB goes down the chance Mallet takes us to the Big One and wins is probably slim. So ya get something like an early 2nd for a guy that was a third round pick-let's win while we have Brady because once he's gone can easily see the Pats dropping sharply.

why is he getting arguably the best coaching available? Remind me again other than Brady all of the QB's BB has developed in his coaching career? Or does sitting next to Brady and listening to BB mean he is getting great coaching?

Rkarp I enjoy most of your post but if you are stating that learning UNDER TB is not worthy of great coaching then you have lost credibility. And yes Brady at his age can be a Mentor/Coach to a young QB-it doesn't have to come from just BB?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

Isn't Mallett worth keeping for at least one more year?  I mean who is going to be a better back up for the Pats?  I don't think they should trade Mallett at all, unless they truly believe there is a better back up out there.  A QB like Mallet on this Pats team is a good back up.  They could transform into a ground and pound team to keep Mallett comfortable - God for bid something happens to Brady.  With Ridley, Vereen, Bolden, and Washington there are more then enough options to run 30+ times a game.  This defense is finally tranding in the right direction to compliment that type of game.    

If Pats want picks they should just trade down, which I am assuming they already plan on doing.  

When you read this report below and you consider he has been getting arguable the best coaching out there for the last 2 years... he is more valuable as a back up then a second or third round pick.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/541618-2011-nfl-draft-ryan-mallett-scouting-report 

Most QB's are rushed into action and why they fail, so when his number is called we'll know exactly what Mallett is going to bring with 2 years of solid training under his belt.  

I reiterate that Mallett is more important to the team at this moment than a trade chip.  

If someone wants Mallet for a second -say Cleveland or KC or Minny-I would jump on it -TB has already said he wants to play until he's a grandfather,(the guy just can't get enough football), so why have this guy hold a clipboard and in a year or two you'll lose him anyway. And if TB goes down the chance Mallet takes us to the Big One and wins is probably slim. So ya get something like an early 2nd for a guy that was a third round pick-let's win while we have Brady because once he's gone can easily see the Pats dropping sharply.

why is he getting arguably the best coaching available? Remind me again other than Brady all of the QB's BB has developed in his coaching career? Or does sitting next to Brady and listening to BB mean he is getting great coaching?

Hmm, there was this one guy who was undrafted that led this team to an 11-5 record when Brady went down.  Can't remember his name though.  I'm sure BB and Brady had nothing to do with that player's progression, though.

Serious question: Do you really think Mallet is just "sitting next to Brady" all year?  Yeah, I'm sure Tom refuses to offer ANY insight to a fellow teammate.  My God.

Forgetting one very important peice-that was before our Passing defense turned into the 31st worst Passing D in the League-when the Pats had a semblence of Pass defense-put Him at QB with this team now and lucky to see 8-8.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

It seems like this board is splitting into 2 camps.

First camp says we live and die for the Pats and we visit this board daily for updates and to state our passion. We think BB is the best coach in the history of the NFL. It's been 10 years since a SB win, and we want more than winning AFC east divisions, and have some concerns that when Brady retires, things will be a lot more difficult. We find some of BB's free agency decisions frustrating, and this is a good forum to vent those frustrations.

Second camp seems to say BB simply can do no wrong. How dare anyone come to this board and post a comment that disagrees with anything BB or the Pats do. And if anyone does come to this board and disagree, they will be shouted down, called names and told they are not true fans.

I am a 30 year season ticket holder (in the family for 30 years while I have footed the bill for 15 of those years) who has also attended 4 Super Bowls. I have put my money where my mouth is, and feel my passionate criticism is warranted. I don't have to tell anyone who attends games about the cost of attending in Foxboro. I read where Krafts worth was over $2 billion, of which the Pats most likely account for 85-95% of that. Still, I applaud the well thought out money management decisions, and admire the ability of cold hearted ness which other teams have such a hard time with (hello Cowboys).

Dont mistake passion for trolling and negativity.

Not trying to be mean but being a 30 year season ticket holder does not exclude you from being WRONG about a Pats topic? I Like a lot of your posts RK but have to disagree with you on this one-Mallet is very tradeable. And this is a good year to pull the trigger--QB hungry/needy teams with a weak draft at position and TB isn't getting any younger and OH Mallets rookie contract is up next year and then he walks for zip because some other team WILL pay for him and I don't see the Pats releasing TB to keep Mallet next year?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Hmm, there was this one guy who was undrafted that led this team to an 11-5 record when Brady went down.  Can't remember his name though.  I'm sure BB and Brady had nothing to do with that player's progression, though.

Serious question: Do you really think Mallet is just "sitting next to Brady" all year?  Yeah, I'm sure Tom refuses to offer ANY insight to a fellow teammate.  My God.

Forgetting one very important peice-that was before our Passing defense turned into the 31st worst Passing D in the League-when the Pats had a semblence of Pass defense-put Him at QB with this team now and lucky to see 8-8.

No. Yards allowed in the air with a bend but don't break D style is in no way reflective of what you just said.  NE's pass D was nowhere near "31st ranked".

Nowhere near.

Don't know which team you were watching last year but the Pats Passing D was horrible-if it wasn't for having one of the BEST turnover margins of any team last year Pats would have lost 2-3 more games and thats with one of the most potent Offenses. I know you are refering to Pats scoring D-but that was highly predicated on being forturnate in the Red Zone with turnovers-it won't happen every year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

No. Yards allowed in the air with a bend but don't break D style is in no way reflective of what you just said.  NE's pass D was nowhere near "31st ranked".

Nowhere near.

Wrong!  31st in pass D and 32nd in 3rd downs which is the worst thing in the world to suck at.  THE WORST!  Hard to win when the opposition is converting 56% of their 3rd downs.

Yards allowed is a reflection of that.  Stop those 3rd downs and no one is passing 400+ yards a game against you.  .  Nor are they scoring last minute game winning drives.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Oh no, a Testicleverdi reference!!  I drafted him as my starting QB for my fantasy team in 1999, I had high hopes of winning it all.  Testies went out with an injury for the season in the first game.  I give him the evil eye everytime I see the guy!!

I remember that like it was yesterday.   The Jets came in all cocky that year and then Parcells quit on them at the end of the year, looking to be just a GM. lol

We know the rest of that story.

Pats fans win in the end.

wrong in just about everything here as usual

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

Oh no, a Testicleverdi reference!!  I drafted him as my starting QB for my fantasy team in 1999, I had high hopes of winning it all.  Testies went out with an injury for the season in the first game.  I give him the evil eye everytime I see the guy!!

I remember that like it was yesterday.   The Jets came in all cocky that year and then Parcells quit on them at the end of the year, looking to be just a GM. lol

Following or should I say stalking the Burger King again. This is sick behavior . He should file a restraining order on you.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to kjfitone's comment:

Following or should I say stalking the Burger King again. This is sick behavior . He should file a restraining order on you.

whatever

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

It seems like this board is splitting into 2 camps.

First camp says we live and die for the Pats and we visit this board daily for updates and to state our passion. We think BB is the best coach in the history of the NFL. It's been 10 years since a SB win, and we want more than winning AFC east divisions, and have some concerns that when Brady retires, things will be a lot more difficult. We find some of BB's free agency decisions frustrating, and this is a good forum to vent those frustrations.

Second camp seems to say BB simply can do no wrong. How dare anyone come to this board and post a comment that disagrees with anything BB or the Pats do. And if anyone does come to this board and disagree, they will be shouted down, called names and told they are not true fans.

I am a 30 year season ticket holder (in the family for 30 years while I have footed the bill for 15 of those years) who has also attended 4 Super Bowls. I have put my money where my mouth is, and feel my passionate criticism is warranted. I don't have to tell anyone who attends games about the cost of attending in Foxboro. I read where Krafts worth was over $2 billion, of which the Pats most likely account for 85-95% of that. Still, I applaud the well thought out money management decisions, and admire the ability of cold hearted ness which other teams have such a hard time with (hello Cowboys).

Dont mistake passion for trolling and negativity.

Not trying to be mean but being a 30 year season ticket holder does not exclude you from being WRONG about a Pats topic? I Like a lot of your posts RK but have to disagree with you on this one-Mallet is very tradeable. And this is a good year to pull the trigger--QB hungry/needy teams with a weak draft at position and TB isn't getting any younger and OH Mallets rookie contract is up next year and then he walks for zip because some other team WILL pay for him and I don't see the Pats releasing TB to keep Mallet next year?

Jimmy, read what I wrote. I said Mallett has to be traded or he walks in 2 years. His value is highest now. I just wish he had a larger body of NFL work so teams could properly gauge his value. I had speculated McCoy as back up, or maybe repeat with Hoyer

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think mallet has value this year. However, with all the QB movement of late, what team is going to pony up a 3rd or better for mallett? Because I don't see bb doing anything for less than what he was acquired for. Who is left to deal with? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

McCoy to the 49'ers as back up. Seems Harbaugh thinks he can do wonders with McCoy.

Palmer to the Cards. If Mallett is traded, is Hoyer available to come back?

Hoyer is a RFA, so he'd need to be cut, RKrap.

Brady Quinn or Charlie Batch would make sense.

Hoyer w/b sign and trade

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:

Breaking news on NFL.com

Mallet is traded to Arizona for this year's second round pick for the Cardinals. Mallet is saying he loves the the trade and he has a better receiver in Fitzgerald than any one avialable in NE. He looks forward to showing the world what he can do in Arizona.

I loved it! Especially when someone bit on it and asked for a link. Priceless.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

In response to kjfitone's comment:

whatever

I see you have now added "whatever" to your "hiya queenie" stable of contributions on this board. I would say keep up the good work but the sarcasm would most likely be lost on you.

[IMG]

25. This post has been removed.