Why VInce Could Be Back

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Re: Why VInce Could Be Back

In response to TravisBean's comment:

In response to RallyC's comment:

Bye bye Vince. 

What is he worth on the trade market?  I am not so sure it's bye-bye quite yet.

I'm not sure what an OBESE, yes at 33yrs old and 320+ and becoming slower and weaker by the day he's now an obese DT who is trying to recover from an achilles injury, who is not gonna play for much of next season would be worth to anybody else. His only true value to the PATS now is his leadership. BUT TRUTH BE TOLD, leadership is best displayed on the field by his work ethic and displayed abilities there. Most players dont pay much attention to how hard another is REHABBING. Leading by example is what they look for. VW is in a different social class now on the team. PERIOD. Called the "walking wounded". I dont know how it happens, but it is time. Either make him a D coach or say BYE BYE to VINCE! Thanks for everything baby! We love ya........

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Vince has meandt a lot to the pats, so maybe that last post was a bit harsh. I still believe if he doesn't restructure, then you have to let him walk. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Bye bye Vince. 

I'm not sure what an OBESE, yes at 33yrs old and 320+ and becoming slower and weaker by the day he's now an obese DT who is trying to recover from an achilles injury, who is not gonna play for much of next season would be worth to anybody else. His only true value to the PATS now is his leadership. BUT TRUTH BE TOLD, leadership is best displayed on the field by his work ethic and displayed abilities there. Most players dont pay much attention to how hard another is REHABBING. Leading by example is what they look for. VW is in a different social class now on the team. PERIOD. Called the "walking wounded". I dont know how it happens, but it is time. Either make him a D coach or say BYE BYE to VINCE! Thanks for everything baby! We love ya........

[/QUOTE]

That's correct. So, maybe when the decision is made between his only real option (taking the cut and still rehabbing hoping to come back midseason), or being released and retiring........or being miserable in a crappier situation and moving his kids, he'll realize he has no trade value or leverage to be paid 7.5 million somewhere else.

[/QUOTE]

Travis Bean.... Are you the Turd aka Deadhead aka RUSTY ???

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Vince and his fat slob wife are too greedy basically l. He has been treated like a king by the pats his whole career and then pulls some sheet like this? Get his fat a.ss out of there and use the 8 mil on another d-lineman and another area of need. 

[/QUOTE]

and this is why I don't like our fanbase sometimes. He vastly out played his 6 year rook deal without a peep. He didn't sit out, he didn't complain, he just honored his contract and did everything he was asked unlike almost every player in the era including everyones favorite new Pat Revis. When it came time to negotiate a new contract he negotiated in good faith without playing games in the media dispite the hard nose approach taken to him. During that contract he again played the good soldier and did everything asked from optional off season works to charity events and was one of the faces of the Pats right up there with Brady. So after all that he just wants them to honor the deal they signed like he did the rook contract or give him time to go somewhere else when the Pats don't want to honor that contract (which don't get me wrong is completely in their right) and you jump all over the guy after all these years of being the perfect Pat player.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Vince and his fat slob wife are too greedy basically l. He has been treated like a king by the pats his whole career and then pulls some sheet like this? Get his fat a.ss out of there and use the 8 mil on another d-lineman and another area of need. 

[/QUOTE]

and this is why I don't like our fanbase sometimes. He vastly out played his 6 year rook deal without a peep. He didn't sit out, he didn't complain, he just honored his contract and did everything he was asked unlike almost every player in the era including everyones favorite new Pat Revis. When it came time to negotiate a new contract he negotiated in good faith without playing games in the media dispite the hard nose approach taken to him. During that contract he again played the good soldier and did everything asked from optional off season works to charity events and was one of the faces of the Pats right up there with Brady. So after all that he just wants them to honor the deal they signed like he did the rook contract or give him time to go somewhere else when the Pats don't want to honor that contract (which don't get me wrong is completely in their right) and you jump all over the guy after all these years of being the perfect Pat player.

[/QUOTE]

+1

Another good post from Eng

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

[QUOTE]

Bye bye Vince. 

That's correct. So, maybe when the decision is made between his only real option (taking the cut and still rehabbing hoping to come back midseason), or being released and retiring........or being miserable in a crappier situation and moving his kids, he'll realize he has no trade value or leverage to be paid 7.5 million somewhere else.

[/QUOTE]

Russ as sad as it is, its even more true. I personally would rather use the opportunity to build confidence in another healthy younger player. VW had a shot at a gift from BB TO RESTRUCTURE. VW says no. I say Thanks for making it easy now. He should be done as a NE Pats player. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pats are completely in their right to ask Vince to restructure that bloated contract hit this year. If Vince wants another Ring, he will smarten up and restructure. If he is too stubborn to do this, than he will rot in Oakland or another bottom feeder team dumb enough to pay him. even tommy Kelly restructured his deal and he's been a pat for a year And is making MUCH less than Vince with more upside at this point in his career. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

[QUOTE]

That is the Mike Reiss angle.  Wilfork also got paid a ton last year, GUARANTEED, for not playing much at all.

So, it kinda evens out.

Plus, BB was dealing with Seymour and Samuel contracts, amongst others in 2007 where he had choices to make. When it came time to reward Vince, they delivered.

Don't give me this crap about wildly overpaying under a cap going into a lockout when we had other contracts, namely Brady and and Mankins in the mix as well.

Boo hoo for Vince. I could see if they didn't pay him handsomely in 2010 but they came to the table and delivered.

Vince is not some victim here.

3/5/2010: Signed a five-year, $40 million contract. The deal contains $25 million guaranteed, including an $18 million signing bonus and Wilfork's first three base salaries. $1.185 million is included via weight bonuses, with an additional $800,000 available through workout bonuses over the life of the contract. 

[/QUOTE]

Great pro franchises make great decisions to pay their players for what they will do, not for what they have done. Its good business. Sentimentality IS NOT a driver to success at any level. Vince is a multimillionaire. Go spend your money and enjoy life VW. WE Will always love you for what you DID for the NE PATRIOTS. GO EAT!!! You deserve to live it up! In the meantime, we need the money and your roster spot for the NEXT MAN UP!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Pats are completely in their right to ask Vince to restructure that bloated contract hit this year. If Vince wants another Ring, he will smarten up and restructure. If he is too stubborn to do this, than he will rot in Oakland or another bottom feeder team dumb enough to pay him. even tommy Kelly restructured his deal and he's been a pat for a year And is making MUCH less than Vince with more upside at this point in his career. 

[/QUOTE]

Sox, who signed him to that bloated contract? They are perfectly in their right to ask him to restructure or cut him and he's perfectly in his right to say go screw we both signed the contract, I honored my end time you honor yours or let me go somewhere else. 

btw Kelly restructured $800K, how much did they ask Wilfork to restructure? If it's over $800k then it's not even the same. More upside? really? Yeah this is how this fanbase is, forget all the things he's done for us he's a washed up b@stard yet I'll garuantee that if they end up coming to an agreement all will be forgiven. You must know how much they asked him to cut though right, to toss out the claims you're making? If they asked him to cut down to vet min would you still feel the same way?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sox, who signed him to that bloated contract? They are perfectly in their right to ask him to restructure or cut him and he's perfectly in his right to say go screw we both signed the contract, I honored my end time you honor yours or let me go somewhere else. 

btw Kelly restructured $800K, how much did they ask Wilfork to restructure? If it's over $800k then it's not even the same. More upside? really? Yeah this is how this fanbase is, forget all the things he's done for us he's a washed up b@stard yet I'll garuantee that if they end up coming to an agreement all will be forgiven. You must know how much they asked him to cut though right, to toss out the claims you're making? If they asked him to cut down to vet min would you still feel the same way?

[/QUOTE]

To the vet minimum no, if they asked that than you are absolutely right. If you want to take the stance that they should honor the contract than that's fine and I understand. I just believe if he doesn't want to help the pats out with his contract, cut him. He did a lot for the pats and will always be loved here, but sometimes it just makes more sense to put the feelings aside and move on.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

To the vet minimum no, if they asked that than you are absolutely right. If you want to take the stance that they should honor the contract than that's fine and I understand. I just believe if he doesn't want to help the pats out with his contract, cut him. He did a lot for the pats and will always be loved here, but sometimes it just makes more sense to put the feelings aside and move on.

[/QUOTE]

You see this I can understand and it's a very reasonable statement. And isn't he just asking to be cut because he doesn't want to help the Pats out. Really none of us actually know what the Pats offered reasonable or not. However, the Pats have the right to ask for a restructure or cut him and Wilfork has the right to ask them to honor the deal or request his release. But, really go back and read your OP and then read your last one. There is no reason to go off on the guy when he hasn't made any unreasonable requests, or has bad mouthed the Pats in any form, which to the best of my knowledge he has never said 1 bad thing about the organization, or hasn't held out for even a single dime more through either of his contracts (a rare thing now a days for a player at his caliber during his career). If he gets cut just wish him well and move on but really do we need to jump on the guy and toss him in the dirt because he just wants the contract they signed honored or to make it a business decision and grant him a release so he can try to get a deal on the market?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I am betting someone will trade for VW.  And I'm guessing him asking for his release is his way of getting them sniffing around.  It's smart business.  He's not stupid, and the team seems to have moved on from the thing he excelled at for the most part.  There are a few teams that would like him, no point in getting nothing if we can unload him.  I'm sure business sense will prevail in the end for VW and the team.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You see this I can understand and it's a very reasonable statement. And isn't he just asking to be cut because he doesn't want to help the Pats out. Really none of us actually know what the Pats offered reasonable or not. However, the Pats have the right to ask for a restructure or cut him and Wilfork has the right to ask them to honor the deal or request his release. But, really go back and read your OP and then read your last one. There is no reason to go off on the guy when he hasn't made any unreasonable requests, or has bad mouthed the Pats in any form, which to the best of my knowledge he has never said 1 bad thing about the organization, or hasn't held out for even a single dime more through either of his contracts (a rare thing now a days for a player at his caliber during his career). If he gets cut just wish him well and move on but really do we need to jump on the guy and toss him in the dirt because he just wants the contract they signed honored or to make it a business decision and grant him a release so he can try to get a deal on the market?

[/QUOTE]

very true, im just disappointed I guess. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

The way the Pats do evaluations I can understand VW getting upset and throwing out the release me bit.  One thing though.  Vince stood fast and didn't get his wish to be released.  The Pats must have gone back and done some re-evaluating.  Things have been awfully quiet since this came out.  Are the Pats looking for a trade or are they admitting a blunder here.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANumber1Roy. Show ANumber1Roy's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Ok I am really disappointed in the Wilfork situation. Tom Brady restructures or extends his contract every other year so it will help the teams cap space. Vince Wilfork has never restructured his contract! I appreciate all the community work he has done, but just about every other player on the Patriots team has done community service, and they haven't made it as public. Vince is committing one of the 7 deadly sins: Greed!

I'm sorry he feels that he needs not pitch in and help when management needs the space to continue with their battle with Denver for AFC top dog honors! The Question is simple do you play for championships or do you play for cash? Wilfork is saying what Moss used to say straight cash hommie!!! The result will be the same, traded to a team with no chance of winning.

Difference from Wilfork and Brady is Wilfork is the guy taking the beating in the trenches while Brady being a QB is protected from being hit every play. NFL does nothing for players with injuries when their career is over so I'm not gonna blame Wilfork for wanting to get his money and contract honored. He didn't complain about his rookie deal that he outplayed and fought tooth and nail to get his recent deal so I'm fine with him refusing to restructure. If he isn't worth that money then why doesn't the pat's just cut him now then since everyone thinks he isn't worth the money. The reason is because the patriots know someone will give him more money than what the Patriots are offering so people need to stop trash talking Vince like his career is over and he needs to shut his mouth and take less.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Makes perfect sense. Do you think it's Vince's pride that caused him to ask out or is there a possibility the Pats came in really low on their request for salary reduction?

[/QUOTE]

I would GUESS part pride part WIFE in his ear?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1

Another good post from Eng

[/QUOTE]

Lets not get all sentimental now-remember it's a businness and these guys are well aware that most if not all contracts are backloaded to protect the teams. And it's not like Vince didnt already earn 3/4s of his 4 year 40 Million contract! Hard to feel sorry for men making millions to play a football game? Lastly the Pats did'nt know he was going to rupture his achilles and at 33 next season and weighing close to 340 lbs the last year needs to be restructered - otherwise the Pats would be as stupid as some teams and you'd be watching the Jaguars product on Sundays-and I can bet that does not appeal to ya?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

In response to Davedsone's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am betting someone will trade for VW.  And I'm guessing him asking for his release is his way of getting them sniffing around.  It's smart business.  He's not stupid, and the team seems to have moved on from the thing he excelled at for the most part.  There are a few teams that would like him, no point in getting nothing if we can unload him.  I'm sure business sense will prevail in the end for VW and the team.  

[/QUOTE]

If they find a partner my guess is he goes to the Raiders he can play next to the other guy who thought making millions wasnt enough money -- Seymour anyone?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lioneljoe. Show lioneljoe's posts

In response to Bradysgirlforreal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Davedsone's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If they find a partner my guess is he goes to the Raiders he can play next to the other guy who thought making millions wasnt enough money -- Seymour anyone?

[/QUOTE]

In a way I feel bad for Vince. Its obvious that with their recent signings the Patiots are preparing yet another deep playoff run.  In the meantime Vince will be playing for the Raiders, who's fanbase doesn't know or love him while uprooting his kids from the only home they have ever known.  No one in the Wilkfork clan is going to be happy with the result and it will all be due to "pride". 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclejack02130. Show unclejack02130's posts

Run stuffers are not worth what they used to be, plain and simple.  No one shouild feel sorry for VW, making 40 million for playing a childs game is a fantasy come true, I think many times athletes get caught up in the hype and adulation and beleiove what they do for a living has some importance in the scheme of things-its a game and its only in this short window of time has it become important to some folks.  Who in their wildest imagination would think that playing for a living could get you a kings ransom-but this is the world we live in.  Now that being said, should he get whatever his worth is, I guess but as it alweays does- the market will dictate that, thats the beauty of the system, he is free to seek his value with any other team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Bradysgirlforreal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lets not get all sentimental now-remember it's a businness and these guys are well aware that most if not all contracts are backloaded to protect the teams. And it's not like Vince didnt already earn 3/4s of his 4 year 40 Million contract! Hard to feel sorry for men making millions to play a football game? Lastly the Pats did'nt know he was going to rupture his achilles and at 33 next season and weighing close to 340 lbs the last year needs to be restructered - otherwise the Pats would be as stupid as some teams and you'd be watching the Jaguars product on Sundays-and I can bet that does not appeal to ya?

[/QUOTE]

Business decisions are business decisions and everyone understands that. But, go back through this thread and tell me on some of these posts that they are treating it like a business decision and not as emotional fans wanting to attack a long standing loyal player because Vince wants it to remain a business decision.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Great pro franchises make great decisions to pay their players for what they will do, not for what they have done. Its good business. Sentimentality IS NOT a driver to success at any level. Vince is a multimillionaire. Go spend your money and enjoy life VW. WE Will always love you for what you DID for the NE PATRIOTS. GO EAT!!! You deserve to live it up! In the meantime, we need the money and your roster spot for the NEXT MAN UP!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Great pro franchises make great decisions to pay their players for what they will do, not for what they have done. Its good business. Sentimentality IS NOT a driver to success at any level. Vince is a multimillionaire. Go spend your money and enjoy life VW. WE Will always love you for what you DID for the NE PATRIOTS. GO EAT!!! You deserve to live it up! In the meantime, we need the money and your roster spot for the NEXT MAN UP!!!

At this juncture of his career, VW needs to look in the mirror and ask himself:  "Am I the same caliber player when I originally signed this contract?"  With his achilles injury, age and size, he has to acknowlegdge that every team will look at him differently now.

Imagine you or I, if we got injured at work, upon our return find we are unable to perform at the same level our previous pay level commands.  Could we go to our employer and say they should continue to pay me at the former level because of all my years of service or for what I did in the past?  I think not.

Like you said, he has provided great service to the Patriots and their fans and we appreciate that.  Unfotunately, he is not the $11 M dollar player today.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What are you 10 years old?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to glenr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What are you 10 years old?

[/QUOTE]

I guess the memory is short for redsoxfan94.  Let's see him/her play through the stuff an NFL player does to get paid.

Sections
Shortcuts