WHY was Woodhead the esclusive RB in OT? Worst game I've seen in a while

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from brazilnut. Show brazilnut's posts

Re: WHY was Woodhead the esclusive RB in OT? Worst game I've seen in a while

In response to PATSthebest's comment:

Of teh backs BB only trusts Woodhead in critical times to Hold on to the ball, catch the ball, and pick up the blitz.

I think vereen picked up at least one blitz.  BB needs to let these other backs play in these situations, because even though Woodhead is serviceable and has played pretty well, Ridley and vereen should be the featured backs.  it seems like they don't allow any back to get a rhythm before they put in another one.  And some of the plays are very predictable.  I could tell what some of the plays were going to be, so I am sure the defense knew also.  I think,having Brady under center more and maybe more play action would help.  Hopefully everyone will Improve and by the end do the year we will be a well oiled machine.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Lets take away some positives

-front 7 plated well. Nink is really playing well again after a slow start. Cunningham is turning into a contributor to play opposite Jones

-both starting S missing, Wilson getting experience. Dennard getting experience. Growing pains now, pays divedends down the road?

-Vereen is heard from. About time

-Woody solid again

-Mesko had a great game. Gostokowski slump a thing of the past?

-next week is tough, but winnable. Good coaching will rise during the bye week, allowing the Pats to tighten up on things, and get healthy. 

Disagree. They just made the worst starting quarterback in the NFL look like Joe Montana. The front seven generated no pass rush and they didn't even do that good of a job stopping the run. The starting safeties were missing and you know what? It looked exactly the same out there. I'm not going to get excited about anything in this game...nothing. The jets stink and we are not far behind. Sorry.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Dude. The Pats scored 29 points. As a per game average that is good for top 3. Those two drives with Woodhead netted 6 points to tie and ice the game.

People are waaay, waaay too tough on this offense. That's two games (one win one loss) where they score 30, have zero turnovers, and people say they stink??? 

Yup, too tough on the O and way to soft on the soft D. Go figure.  They score 30, they win unless the D gives up 31.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Dude. The Pats scored 29 points. As a per game average that is good for top 3. Those two drives with Woodhead netted 6 points to tie and ice the game.

People are waaay, waaay too tough on this offense. That's two games (one win one loss) where they score 30, have zero turnovers, and people say they stink??? 

I just don't know what some fans expect.  A blow out every game? 

There were some clutch plays made by all facets, offense, defense and special teams. 

This was good win.  A little adversity is a good thing for any team.  The three previous losses were by one, one and two points.  Atleast this time,  the Pats found a way to come out on top.

I'm happy after this one.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

26 points allowed, btw, is good for 23rd worst in the NFL ... on average. 

We all need some perspective here, and to adjust expectations. 

26 points allowed, and Sanchez, who is averaging a <50% completion rate, goes for about 70% and 300+ yards. 26 points to a team without their top WR, and a RB who, aside from last week against a HORRIBLE Colt D, has been awful.

The Jet O OUTSCORED the Pats O. Spin it however you want, that's pitiful.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seymonster. Show seymonster's posts

im happy with it.  its still a very young team and the kids needed a confidence builder like this, especially after all those close losses.

they always talk about belichick teams having 'intangibles', and 'mental toughness', and those kinds of things.  i think this was the first time this season they showed much of that.  sometimes it takes a while to build that up.  hopefully we see it more.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

What game was I watching. Didn't the Pats win in OT or was that someone else?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

They trust woodhead.  He blocks and picks up blitzes and gets up the field and doesn;t drop passes and doesn't fumble.

He also iced a crucial first down recieving out of the backfield. 

Woodhead is a very good scatback.

Yes, I thought he played well and was clutch today

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlderbutWiser. Show OlderbutWiser's posts

Including PAT, offense scored 17 points during regulation time. Special teams scored 7 points. Defense was credited with 2 points. 17 points isn't going to cut it.

They are blowing leads and it is touch and go to win the game in fourth quarter. There doesn't seem to be a spark in their play. Rather than play to win they are playing not to lose after attaining the lead. In my opinion their playing not to lose after gaining a lead is a McDaniels philosophy. Opposing teams figure him out.  They basically have the same personnel on offense as last year...so, what has changed?

The defensive secondary is a real liability. I couldn't believe how many Jets were wide open today. If they had a legit QB I think they would have won the game.

I am glad they won and I hope they can get everything clicking to win the division and playoff games. But face it, their record is not what I envisioned when I first saw the schedule. They beat the Jets, Bills, Titans, and Broncos. They lost to Arizona, Baltimore, and Seattle. Granted they could have won all these games and maybe fate is just doing its thing....these close losses are getting to me and causing some concern.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In response to brazilnut's comment:

In response to PATSthebest's comment:

Of teh backs BB only trusts Woodhead in critical times to Hold on to the ball, catch the ball, and pick up the blitz.

I think vereen picked up at least one blitz.  BB needs to let these other backs play in these situations, because even though Woodhead is serviceable and has played pretty well, Ridley and vereen should be the featured backs.  it seems like they don't allow any back to get a rhythm before they put in another one.  And some of the plays are very predictable.  I could tell what some of the plays were going to be, so I am sure the defense knew also.  I think,having Brady under center more and maybe more play action would help.  Hopefully everyone will Improve and by the end do the year we will be a well oiled machine.

+1

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Re: WHY was Woodhead the exclusive RB in OT?

Let's try a few wild guess theories:

Rex Ryan dissed Woodhead's ears for at least a year.  Then the Jets yanked Woodhead off the field and cut his salary in half, expecting to dump him onto their practice squad.  That's when BB swooped him up and put him in the game.  Woodhead really wants to show Ryan that he's good. 

Woodhead knows most of the Jets defensive players intimately because he played against them for two training camps.  He knows their tendencies and their weaknesses. 

Woodhead was out there playing.  On third and 20 he picked up 17 yards on the ground.  The little dude proved to BB that he wanted the job.

Perhaps Ridley wasn't quite doing a perfect job.  He's half in the doghouse for his fumblitis.  Maybe BB saw something this week and yanked Ridley, just as he yanked Wes Welker during the playoffs for talking about feet and toes.

BB rotates his running backs.  Maybe Woodhead had the fresh legs.  We might find out that Ridley gained some neat bumps and bruises over the course of the game. 

Maybe as a tendency you always run the bigger back during the first half to wear the defense down, then you run the little tiny hard to see guy in the fourth quarter (or in overtime) when the defense is worn down and makes more mistakes.   For that matter, at the end of the game you want guys handling the ball who aren't going to make mistakes.  With a valuable game on the line, sure hands are more valuable than raw talent.  Chalk up one win for New England, one more loss hung on a somewhat potent division rival and one head-to-head tiebreaker win for the division crown. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

We won that game ,right? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Am I happy they won? Yes...

Do I think they need to play better for this year to be as successful as last year? Again, yes...

This team definitely has issues. In some ways, they may be worse than last year, but the whole AFC (with the exception of the Texans is worse). 

As for Woodhead, I thought he actually had a good game out of the backfield. Not so much running the ball. I don't have a problem with him being in there. There were not running well towards the end, and he is the best option both staying in to block and catching the ball out of the backfield (which is crazy because a year ago they were putting Faulk out there in those situations over him).

I was more confused by the first three plays of the game went to Vereen and then he had 6 touches in the remaining 71 plays on offense.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I am surprised how many people are upset with the win. I complain out this defense as much as anyone else on these boards, but I think winning a game where the number one offense in the NFL scores 17 points (against the number 19 defense... it is not like last week where they were actually playing a top rated D) has to have some positives. 

To me it is somewhat encouraging to see the team win an ugly game. Blowing out crappy teams that are playing like they do not want to be there (ie, Tennessee and Buffalo) gives me a lot less positive feeling.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I'm just glad BB will be running practices this week. I guarantee he won't find many positives to praise them about, while he will have PLENTY of problems for them to work on.

NYJ converted about 50% of their third downs.

Mark Sanchez:

28 41 328

68.3  1TD 1INT

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

Brady wasn't good.

Sanchez was made to look VERY good.

Vereen averaged 6.1 ypc and was only given 8 carries.

At least 3 drops.

Kickoff return for a TD, then a weak, soft, horrible fumble: both by McCourty.

The offense managed only 20 points against a very bad Jets D.

The D gave up 26 points to an average, at best, Jets offense.

Curley had over 100 yards receiving.

Seriously, a win is a win...but there is NOTHING to feel good about after this game. Simply pitiful in all three aspects, and bad coaching...oh, and using a TO 1:23 into the game before punting? Yeah, I knew it was going to be rough all game at that point.

Brady can NOT throw deep down the left side of the field.

The balance was good, but it was too often shotgun=pass, under center=run. The AZ D coordinator let us know a month ago, and we all laughed.

McDaniels s u c k s. I don't know what happened, but he's a joke now. I'm seeing he was a big reason St Louis only averaged 12 points per game under his watch.

What a joke. I thought this team was better than that p i s s poor performance, but I've seen too many of them recently. They need to start playing a LOT better, or they have little chance of winning any playoff game this year.

Brady had a 95 PR with 2 TDs and no picks. That's very good. You people have to get over this expectation that he is going to light up every team for 4-5 TDs and 400+ yards. Nobody has ever done that. Many of you were griping last season when he threw for the second most yards in history. Enough of this obliviousness is enough. A lot of you DESERVE Mallet.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I'm just glad BB will be running practices this week. I guarantee he won't find many positives to praise them about, while he will have PLENTY of problems for them to work on.

NYJ converted about 50% of their third downs.

Mark Sanchez:

28 41 328

68.3  1TD 1INT

The defense stinks. We with a clue know this. Can it get better? It better.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

They trust woodhead.  He blocks and picks up blitzes and gets up the field and doesn;t drop passes and doesn't fumble.

Woody is a good receiver out of the backfield. But his running overall has been poor.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

To give up those stats to Sanchez, with Curley as his top WR option is an utter embarrassment. He outplayed Brady.

Woodhead had 6 carries for 17 yards, with a long of 8. 5 other carries for 9 yards. 4 catches for 29 yards with a long of 20. Offensively, he had 2 or 3 good plays in 10 touches. Vereen looked fine picking up the blitz while he was in there. Ridley's 'fumblitis'? So, 1 fumble is now considered 'fumblitis' over 7 games?

Vereen had 1 catch for 10 yards, and 8 carries for 49 yards, with a long of 16. 7 carries for 33 is still almost 5 per.

That was WELKER getting 16 yards on 3rd and 20:

'3rd-20, NE40 14:02 T. Brady passed to W. Welker to the right for 16 yard gain'

Woodhead had 4 touches (3 carries, 1 catch) for a whopping 11 yards in OT. He doesn't scare defenses, they never pay him any special attention, he doesn't draw the safeties up.

It amazes me how fans will covince themselves all was well, and things worked when they so obviously didn't. Look at the drive chart for yourselves:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore?gid=20121021017&page=plays

Midway through the 1st, Brady passed them right dow the field, beyond that, it was the passing game that continualy failed them until OT, when they did just barely enough to get Gost a 48 yard FG attempt. Again, against a not very good D that had NO REVIS!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Woody is a good receiver out of the backfield. But his running overall has been poor.

Agreed... His yards per carry have gone down each of the three seasons with the Pats. He is definitely their best back out of the backfield and with Vereen and Ridley being even less experience than he, I suspect he is the only one trusted to pick up blitzes...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

To give up those stats to Sanchez, with Curley as his top WR option is an utter embarrassment. He outplayed Brady.

Bardy wasn't playing against the Pats' defense. How do you think he would fare against that mickey mouse unit?

Brady threw 2 TDs and had no turnovers. Sanchez gave up the ball 3 times. Not buying Sanchez outplayed him one bit.

Many of you folks are spoiled rotten. A game where Brady throws the equivelent of 32 TDs on a season with a 95 rating against a sky high jets D you call "not good". SPOILED ROTTEN!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

Brady wasn't good.

Sanchez was made to look VERY good.

Vereen averaged 6.1 ypc and was only given 8 carries.

At least 3 drops.

Kickoff return for a TD, then a weak, soft, horrible fumble: both by McCourty.

The offense managed only 20 points against a very bad Jets D.

The D gave up 26 points to an average, at best, Jets offense.

Curley had over 100 yards receiving.

Seriously, a win is a win...but there is NOTHING to feel good about after this game. Simply pitiful in all three aspects, and bad coaching...oh, and using a TO 1:23 into the game before punting? Yeah, I knew it was going to be rough all game at that point.

Brady can NOT throw deep down the left side of the field.

The balance was good, but it was too often shotgun=pass, under center=run. The AZ D coordinator let us know a month ago, and we all laughed.

McDaniels s u c k s. I don't know what happened, but he's a joke now. I'm seeing he was a big reason St Louis only averaged 12 points per game under his watch.

What a joke. I thought this team was better than that p i s s poor performance, but I've seen too many of them recently. They need to start playing a LOT better, or they have little chance of winning any playoff game this year.

Maybe instead of peaking in the regular season like they have the last 2 years and in 2007 only to begin faltering in the playoffs they might peak at the right time this season. Like the Giants last year and the Packers the year before. I would prefer them to play their best football in the playoffs for a change instead of what we have seen the last 2 years and in 2007 regular season blowouts only to come to a screetching halt in the playoffs.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts