Why Will Babe Never List His Top GMs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Why Will Babe Never List His Top GMs

We might as well stop asking him to commit to names. He clearly will not do it. So let's take a poll on why Babe will never name names...

Don't forget to add any comments you might like.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Re: Why Will Babe Never List His Top GMs

Babe is gone. Note his new tagline,

"I was just kidding about unretiring. Be well. GO PATS!"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-dogg81. Show p-dogg81's posts

BB is by far the greatest gm ever and anyone who disagrees is an idiot

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-dogg81. Show p-dogg81's posts

BB is by far the greatest gm ever and anyone who disagrees is an idiot

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Man, this is a REALLY tough poll, to simply dedicate 1 answer towards what is- simply an Exceptional Collection of very good probabilities offered.  I need some time.  I'm privy to the 5th down from the top, then the 4th up from the bottom, along with either of the last two...  ALL great. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: Why Will Babe Never List His Top GMs:
    [QUOTE]BB is by far the greatest gm ever and anyone who disagrees is an idiot
    Posted by p-dogg81[/QUOTE]

Disagree also simply because it's impossible to know.

Think about crazy lil stories like BB and the Patriots wanting WR Mason and him ready to come but his wife saying umm no way I don't want to live in Boston.

Now that story came out but what about all the ones that don't, whether positive or negative.

I mean in the case like the Mason story do you count not getting the WR you need because the WR's wife does not like the city against the GM? I wouldn't.

Even this year there are stories and rumors the Browns offered more to the Rams for the #2 pick than the Redskins but the powers that be for the Rams and Skins are good ole boys. Do you count that against the GM of the Browns? I wouldn't.

There is so much that goes on and has gone on in every organization that most people have NO idea about to even attempt to pass absolute judgement on the topic, imo.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Aren't several of the choices in your poll the same? For example, take these three:

1.) Babe has no real way of comparing GMs, he just has to have a scape goat as to why Brady hasn't QB'd a SB winner in a while;

2.) Babe knows he is wrong but has put so much into making what he thinks is an excuse that Brady needs that he can't back out now; 

3.) Babe doesn't really know what a GM does. All he knows is that it is something that can explain why Brady has not been able to win a SB in a while  

Any and all of these answers above would explain his need to criticize BB as a GM.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]     Aren't several of the choices in your poll the same? For example, take these three: 1.) Babe has no real way of comparing GMs, he just has to have a scape goat as to why Brady hasn't QB'd a SB winner in a while; 2.) Babe knows he is wrong but has put so much into making what he thinks is an excuse that Brady needs that he can't back out now;  3.) Babe doesn't really know what a GM does. All he knows is that it is something that can explain why Brady has not been able to win a SB in a while        Any and all of these answers above would explain his need to criticize BB as a GM.  
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Perhaps so Tex. I leave that mystery to wiser men like you. As for me, I only posted the poll, I am not an expert on Babe.

Still, I am not only a Poll Poster but a Poll Member!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Will Babe Never List His Top GMs : DISAGREES
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

Find me a GM that has kept his team competitive as long as BB has.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Will Babe Never List His Top GMs : Find me a GM that has kept his team competitive as long as BB has.
    Posted by xXR3S1NXx[/QUOTE]

OK. But dont tell Babe I'm giving it to you. He will want one two.. or is that to, or... tooo.. or toe... whatever.. Just don't tell Babe

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Will Babe Never List His Top GMs : OK. But dont tell Babe I'm giving it to you. He will want one two.. or is that to, or... tooo.. or toe... whatever.. Just don't tell Babe
    Posted by portfolio1[/QUOTE]

Is this GM's name invisable or... Lol

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Will Babe Never List His Top GMs : Find me a GM that has kept his team competitive as long as BB has.

Here is two...

Kevin Colbert
    Bill Polian

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Will Babe Never List His Top GMs : Here is two... Kevin Colbert Bill Polian
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

Bill polian doesnt count he slowly let his team fall into the abyss and he got fired because of it something BB would never willfully let happen. You might have something with colbert though, although in my mind he's still a step below BB because of BB ability to better work the cap, Colbert has sent his team into salary cap hell.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Colbert and the Rooneys are the only ones and Reid/Roseman in Philly might be another argument.

But, this just isolates Babe even more.  BB built a dynasty, a 16-0 team, and two SB appearing teams that had a future HOF QB play under his level in his last two SBs.  I guess if you want to blame BB for Brady's average play in the last 2 SBs, then fine.  That's your perogative, but that just makes it appear more so like you hold BB to a different standard than every other GM or even Brady himself.

BB />Colbert.

BB />Polian.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Will Babe Never List His Top GMs : Here is two... Kevin Colbert Bill Polian

Polian... Polian.... lets see.. lets see... oh yes. He did put together one championship team... good job Bill. And last year.. what was the record of his team... where are they picking...?

So are we comparing SB appearances? SB championships? Never having a truly horrible year? Maybe it is that Polian never had a good QB... That must be it.

So Bambino... what do you ahve to say about it?

personally hand delivered note from Bambino to Portfolio:
    - Spin. Jerk. Already answered. Speak english... and ... how cna you compare Manning to Brady. Look how many SB appearances he had. How many SB championships.. And the fact that Brady has a better neck. Stop being so stupid Portfolio.

and good job naming Polian Low.... finally, someone who gets it...
    OK gotta go...

thank you..... thank you... yes,, yes.. my pleasure.. thank youuuu.. .. Bambino

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Will Babe Never List His Top GMs : Bill polian doesnt count he slowly let his team fall into the abyss and he got fired because of it something BB would never willfully let happen. You might have something with colbert though, although in my mind he's still a step below BB because of BB ability to better work the cap, Colbert has sent his team into salary cap hell.

OK then how do you account for the following?

You can't have it both ways because if you try to argue both sides of the following arguments then you will sound like Babe.

Lets, for the sake of this discussion, just look at the Steelers for the moment.

If you agree that BB is a better coach than both Cowher and Tomlin then that counts AGAINST BB as a GM.

If you think Tom Brady is a better QB than Ben Rothlisberger, Tommy Maddox AND Kordell Stewart then that counts AGAINST BB as a GM.

Both organizations have truly similar winning percentages over the same time.

So how did the Steelers manage that feat with inferior coaching and Quarterbacking if the GM was not at a minimum at least as good or better than BB the GM?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]Colbert and the Rooneys are the only ones and Reid/Roseman in Philly might be another argument. But, this just isolates Babe even more.  BB built a dynasty, a 16-0 team, and two SB appearing teams that had a futuer HOF QB play under his level.  I guess if you want to blame BB for Brady's average play in the last 2 SBs, then fine.  That's your perogative, but that just makes it appear more so like you hold BB to a different standard than every other GM or even Brady himself. BB />Colbert. BB />Polian.
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

Philly.. the dream tream.. yes.. YES.. YESSSSSSS. that is the GM ... !!! Philly.. finally... yes.. all those championships.. all those consecutive division titles in the last 5 years. SOOOO goooood. Can;t argue with Philly.

I bet they put that guy oin that show.. You know.. the GM of the Day show... I hear the network is picking it up...

You agree Bambino...

angry Bambino throws note written on a paper airplane at Portfolio....
     - Leave me alone already. Of course its right. If they had Brady they would never ever have lost a game. Philly. Yess.. whatever his name is there.. thats the guy,.,.. now leave me alone... geesh....

.. thank you.... thank you.,... Bambino

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Will Babe Never List His Top GMs : Bill polian doesnt count he slowly let his team fall into the abyss and he got fired because of it something BB would never willfully let happen. You might have something with colbert though, although in my mind he's still a step below BB because of BB ability to better work the cap, Colbert has sent his team into salary cap hell.

Doesn't count? Are you suggesting the fact he was the GM of 6 superbowl appearances by teams is irrelevant? Has BB had two long successful runs as GM with two seperate organizations? Has he been to 4 straight superbowls as a GM?

He was fired over money and ego clash lets not kid ourselves. I am quite certain Irsay is more than happy be be getting the best "supposed" QB prospect since Elway that will allow his team the potential to go on another very lengthy run of success.

As far as BB "never" willfully letting happen? How do you know? I do not know if he would or would not. He did however willfully disobey a direct mandate from the commissioner already so not sure anything is past him. (Even though i think is was much to do about nothing)

By the way, I know many fans do this but just a reminder that giving credit where credit is due does not detract from BB's success in any way. Not sure where that mentality originated from but never understood it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

It would be hard to rank GMs.  First off, BB the coach shouldn't be confused with BB the GM.  What would BB do if he had the Ravens for example or some other under achieving team?  That GM would come up the ladder some.

Secondly, Babe is an antagonist and he thought it was real cute when he first started acting like Parcell.  If you argued with him for too long on a subject you became a moron, stupid or an idiot.  The thing is he had some good points but he became the target and not his posts because of his past antics. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Will Babe Never List His Top GMs : OK then how do you account for the following? You can't have it both ways because if you try to argue both sides of the following arguments then you will sound like Babe. Lets, for the sake of this discussion, just look at the Steelers for the moment. If you agree that BB is a better coach than both Cowher and Tomlin then that counts AGAINST BB as a GM. If you think Tom Brady is a better QB than Ben Rothlisberger, Tommy Maddox AND Kordell Stewart then that counts AGAINST BB as a GM. Both organizations have truly similar winning percentages over the same time. So how did the Steelers manage that feat with inferior coaching and Quarterbacking if the GM was not at a minimum at least as good or better than BB the GM?

double spaced typed page professionally bound and sold at Barnes and Nobles, signed by the author Bambino...

... That is right Low. If a GM is stupid enough to bring in a better coach that counts against him. Every good GM should bring in the worst coach he can. And teh same thing goes for key roster spots. Brining in a good QB is one sure way to make sure you do not get the credit. The reasoning should be taken to its logical conclusion.

Also Low you are right about essentially the same track record. Pittsburgh and NE both have about 5 SB appearances in this period (5-2). Both have the same number of SB wins (3-2). NE only has one more undefeated season than Pittsburgh. NE has only had one more season of more than 10 wins without their starting QB for a full season (TB is so much better than Big Ben that Cassel proves he is essentially JUST as good as Big Ben with an 11-5 season of his own). NE has only an average of 1 more win every year for a decade (139 to 127 since 2000).

... end of BOOK....

Portfolio chimes in...

Do not forget BB started off his tenure having his first first round pick taken away and given to the Jets.

You can make a good case for Colbert being one of the best. His record is about as close to BB's as anyone else's. But not quite as good. A step less in regular season, less in championships, a lot less in championshoip appearances. And BB started the whole thing losing his first first round pick.

Are you going to say that Colbert loses something for having gotten good RBs? Or Palamalu? Or Harrison? Or is that a mark of a good GM in getting those kinds of players?

Colbert is a good selection but I think no better than BB and an argument could be made for BB.

But Low - you are NOT an idiot! Or a jerk !!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Will Babe Never List His Top GMs : Doesn't count? Are you suggesting the fact he was the GM of 6 superbowl appearances by teams is irrelevant? Has BB had two long successful runs as GM with two seperate organizations? Has he been to 4 straight superbowls as a GM? He was fired over money and ego clash lets not kid ourselves. I am quite certain Irsay is more than happy be be getting the best "supposed" QB prospect since Elway that will allow his team the potential to go on another very lengthy run of success. As far as BB "never" willfully letting happen? How do you know? I do not know if he would or would not. He did however willfully disobey a direct mandate from the commissioner already so not sure anything is past him. (Even though i think is was much to do about nothing) By the way, I know many fans do this but just a reminder that giving credit where credit is due does not detract from BB's success in any way. Not sure where that mentality originated from but never understood it.

How do i know BB would never do to the patriots what bill polian did to the colts? When an owner and coach are as tight as Kraft and BB, I have a real hard time believing that whenever BB  decides to retire(cuz we all know he'll coach the pats until he does decide he needs to retire) that he wouldnt want to leave the team in better condition than he found it Cuz thats BB style.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

So the Steelers playing against the Browns and Bengals twice a year is not easy? Your Giants are really the only team that plays in one of the most competitive divisions each year, although really only on paper as we usually see Dallas and Philly as the "hyped" teams of the year. Washington while not good is at least competitive.

In short your argument doesn't hold water.

Anyway, who in your mind is the best GM in football over the past 10 years?

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts