Cause he's a great player..

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Why would we sign Mankins now???

In Response to Re: Why would we sign Mankins now???:
    [QUOTE]Cause he's a great player..
    Posted by justme2[/QUOTE]

Connolly is doing his job at a fraction of what it would cost to sign Mankins. Connolly gets 600,000 a year...-_-...

That's less than 10% of what The Pats offered Mankins. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In the NFL you're as good as your depth. It's an injury-driven business. The teams with the most quality depth are best equipped to handle injuries and they tend to compete longer.

If Mankins comes in, the other parts of our line become part of the second and third teams, which is great going forawrd.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]If we didnt keep Seymour for that last year w/ a weak defense, than why do it for Mankins when Offense is the strength of your team, and you have showed you can succeed w/ out him...
    Posted by patsfan76[/QUOTE]

By this logic, why did they resign Brady?  They went 11-5 without him and 10-6 with him last year.  I suspect it was because of his track record and his abilities.  They felt he gave them the best chance of winning.  If Moss gets sick and can't play next week and they win anyway, does that mean they're better off without him?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

To me it's all about replacing him on the line. Neal will be gone maybe next year, Light and Koppen will also both need to be addressed in the near future.

So that gives us 3 spots to fill and 4 if Mankins goes. Over say the next 3 years. If we can get a 2nd for him and BB see's a guy in this draft who could step in, or swap for a 2012 1st where its more of a lock, I'm in.

Vollmer, Connolly ( looks like a player to me, fills in for Neal ), Koppen ( Draft or Dev repl for 2013), Mankins ( or Drafted Repl ), Light ( Draft Tackle in 2011, swap to RT)

I say do this and pay Randy, as we would get no return for him if he leaves ( atleast only compensitory, not sure on that )

If we can't trade him then we must sign him and look to replace Randy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]So in week 12, would you rather have N.Kascur playing at guard, with a seasoned backup in Connolly,  or have BJGE starting at RB, with Javarris James backing him up??  

I'm missing something.  What does one have to do with the other? 

Anyway, I'd rather have Mankins backed up by Connolly.  Not a Kaczur fan and I'm not sure we even know if he's going to play this year. 

Hey the Red Sox are winning without Pedroia and Youkilis, so why not just get rid of them and their big salaries?  Who needs 'em?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

I would rather Kraft not shell out huge $$$ for anyone other than Tom Brady.  Mega contracts don't build depth, they destroy it.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Remember - BB won a super bowl with Mike Compton and Russ Hochstein at guards, so you tell me how much is Mankins really worth to the team? Guards are a dime a dozen as you saw in the preseason and against the Bengals.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]Remember - BB won a super bowl with Mike Compton and Russ Hochstein at guards, so you tell me how much is Mankins really worth to the team? Guards are a dime a dozen as you saw in the preseason and against the Bengals.
    Posted by sml1210[/QUOTE]

Bingo and that's why Mankins (and his camp) is a complete idiot for passing on the deal that was supposedly on the table; I believe the deal would have put him in the top 3-5 for guards. It was clearly a deal that a) rewarded him for doing things the Patriot Way b) performing and staying healthy. New England never overpays for guards but they made an exception for Mankins.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I would like to put that thought on hold until after our game with the Jets on Sunday.  If our offensive line holds up well on Sunday, then I'll jump on board and say it might actually be better this year.  If we look worse than the last time we played them, and Brady is getting killed, then that's a different story.  Sunday is about the best measuring stick we'll have for how well we really are on the line.

If the line looks good on Sunday, no way we should pay Mankins those big $$$.  On the flip side, if we look good on Sunday, maybe we'd look even better with Mankins.  I assume the CAP will return.  I would like Mankins back, but not if it hurts our team CAP wise next year.  If we can win Sunday, we can win without Mankins.  Perhaps that's why the Pats aren't willing to shell out ridiculous money for a guard. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]Remember - BB won a super bowl with Mike Compton and Russ Hochstein at guards, so you tell me how much is Mankins really worth to the team? Guards are a dime a dozen as you saw in the preseason and against the Bengals.
    Posted by sml1210[/QUOTE]

I respect your opinion, but I just disagree.  I think great linemen are harder to find than almost any other position outside of QB and 3-4 OLB.  You can find adequate guys sure, and there's nothing wrong with going that way if you don't have better options.  Mankins is the best guard they've had since Hannah.  I'd sign him if I were making the call.  But obviously I'm not, so it looks like they're going with lesser options.  Hope it pans out. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe cause he is still the best O linemen we have. Pay the man his money.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

I like this idea.

In fact, I like it so much, I think the Pats should apply this philosophy to each of their top players at every position.

But wait . . .

Isn't this the same philosophy you, yourself, killa, laugh at Green New Jersey for employing, as it ruins their ability to maintain quality depth?

errrrrrrrrrrrrr . . .

ummmmmmm . . .

ahhhhhhh . . .

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

He will not be here for the Jets game.  If the Jets who are one of the best teams in the NFL at getting to the QB can't get good pressure on Brady than I think Mankins is done here. 

The Pats will get 6 games from him this year if he is not completely stupid and that will at least give us depth for the season. 

If Brady gets run down then maybe they go after Mankins again but it seems they have offered him everything he wanted and he still doesn't want it so what do you do now, offer him Brady's contract?  At some point they will probably just have to say "No matter how good you are you can't help our team if we have to pay you so much that we have to cut everyone else to pay you." 

At worst they get probably a 3rd round compensatory pick from him, 6 games and some money to start locking up the young talent on the team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]Ok, Muz I get ur sarcasm, but you act like Brady is comparable to Mankins....We can agree to disagree, but dont try to make me out to be an idiot....Brady is the Franchise, and well Mankins, he aint even here, so that tells you something...My point is I dont think he is the best guard in the league, and if he is, then let someone else pay him....

Not trying to make you look like anything.  Just saying if they can win without Brady, then why not just keep Cassel?  The same thing happened with Bledsoe/Brady.  There they went with the lower cost option and if you recall, there wasn't unanimous opinion one way or the other.  Bledsoe had his backers.  

They went with Brady because he gave them the best chance to win.  He's a better player than Cassel, just like when they chose Brady over Bledsoe.  Why wouldn't you apply that logic on the O-line, at WR, everywhere? 

As far as money goes, I really don't care.  It's not my cash.  Unless you're a Kraft, it's not yours either.  There's no cap this year.  If there's one next year (if there is a next year), worry about that then.  I'd prefer to field the best team this year, and Mankins is the best OL on this team.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Mankins is a pro-bowler and was underpaid during his rookie contract. Did we hear any complaints from him? No, we didn't. The Patriots obviously liked him because he was told that he would be taken care of this year. The problem was he wanted to be equal to the highest paid guard but the Patriots only offered top three money.

What he is worth is up for debate but why wouldn't you want a pro-bowl caliber player on your team?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Why would we sign Mankins now???:
    [QUOTE]I know this issue has been talked about enough and rehashed,etc....but to me, after playing a game this season, the situation has changed a bit.   I know the Bengals arent the best defense in the league, but not the worst...and we seemed to move the ball effectively and I cant remember D.Connolly's name being mentioned in the game much, which is a good thing.  So, to me after playing one game and not seeing a complete disaster, I would asess that not having Mankins would not keep us from making a run.  If this was the case, I cant remember Mankins being a dominant factor when we played the Jets,Ravens, etc so far as handling the line,,which is what I would want to see for a the highest paid guard..  All that being said, since we know now that the Krafts did have 7 mill. a year ready to pony up.,...why not asess what you have after game 1, and realize with a legit pass rush, you could make a run this year, and try to get someone here w/ that money via trade....or hold on to it until the offseason and see who's out there... or you could always pay Randy Moss, who seemed to signa friendly deal 3 years ago, and couldnt be asking for more now...so pay someone that wants to be here,and said they may be depressed if they are not resigned(lol)   , but seriously, I am kinda done w/ Mankins now...At this point the season has started, we are rolling, and I believe we would be better off trading him, or letting him sit..Thats too much money IMO, for a guard, who cant keep a whole defensive line off of Brady...  He is only one guy, and one that is tryna to break the bank at that....I would be dissapointed at this point if they signed him.  The damage has been done, apology or not, he showed he is more concerned with getting paid than winning, if not he would have been here by now...and they say he still got his money from rookie year...thats looking like a good move..but when I see other teams with these big 330 pound guards driving guys off the ball, to me, thats a top 5 guard...B.B. likes all his lineman around 6'3" 300, w/ Vollmer the exeption, IMO you need a big mauler to be worth that type money.. Whats more likely at this point.... 1) Manking coming in w/ a new deal 2) Sign and trade for a player, or picks 3) He signs his tender at 1.34 mil( i think) to get credit for season 4) He sits out until week 10 5) He spends the year horse cattling at his Ranch

ENOUGH ALREADY!! If it's true that Mankins turned down $8mil. per year out of pride, I question his commitment to football, and to his teammates. The hell with him. Time to move on.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Why would we sign Mankins now??? :      ENOUGH ALREADY!! If it's turned down $8mil. per year out of pride,  I question his commitment to football, and to his teammates. The hell with him. Time to move on.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

thank you, this says it all