wide out situation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

Re: wide out situation

In Response to wide out situation:
    lets be clear on the Pats wide out situation as we read on the posts that the Pats are set at WR, they are stacked at WR, the TE's make them great and there is no more room on the roster, they need Branch, they don't need Branch, blah, blah, blah. Welker, Edelman and Holt all play similiar styles and cannot "stretch the field" making the safety respect the deep threat. This is the same type of player that Branch is, who at the moment cannot pass a physical, is on the books for big money, and will miss training time with his injury in a new system/new coach. Tate and Price imo will struggle to make the game day roster week in and week out unless they standout on special teams (maybe Tate) Aiken is not a wide out, unless it is an emergency. If it is an emergency, he also cannot stretch the field. Galloway was that type of player that could stretch the field and take a safety with him allowing Moss and Welker to operate under neath with out that safety help. Unfortunately, he could not get on the field in this system. That brings us to Patten. He is healthy now. He ran a 4.3 and change when he worked out for the Pats. He knows this system and knows Brady well. With 3 or 4 wide outs on the field, sending Patten deep will make take a safety with him. If he catches 20-30 balls (similiar to D Stallworth)he could take 5-6 of them to the end zone. But better yet, he will open things up for the other wide outs. Patten is also a de facto assistant coach on the field and in the locker room. To think Patten will automatically be cut is wrong. Of course it will have to be proven on the field, but give the guy a chance. Seems to me as the Pats #5, if he is the Patten of 2 and 3 years ago, he is an asset.
    Posted by ronk1

Curious as to why you think Tate and Price will struggle to make the lineup when as you just mentioned we dont really have a #2 reciever/deep threat.  So Moss is on one side, Endlmen and Holt in the slot, would think there would be a serious opportunity for Tate or Price to get on the field at #2.  I really think patten is going to be the odd man out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Ronk,

David Patten didn't run a 4.3 comming out of Western Carolina what makes you think he is running one now... when he is 35, and spent the year out of football in 2009 becaseu he could not heal his torn groin muscle....

The only way this cat runs a 4.3 is if he shot HGH into his groin every day for that past 24 months he has been on the shelf.

give me a break

Even Robert Kraft said publicly not to count out brandon tate

i think he would know, seeing how Tate is his investment

Did you Ricky Williams and Aaron Hernandez just light one up? It must have been good stuff

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

lets be clear on the Pats wide out situation as we read on the posts that the Pats are set at WR, they are stacked at WR, the TE's make them great and there is no more room on the roster, they need Branch, they don't need Branch, blah, blah, blah. Welker, Edelman and Holt all play similiar styles and cannot "stretch the field" making the safety respect the deep threat. This is the same type of player that Branch is, who at the moment cannot pass a physical, is on the books for big money, and will miss training time with his injury in a new system/new coach. Tate and Price imo will struggle to make the game day roster week in and week out unless they standout on special teams (maybe Tate) Aiken is not a wide out, unless it is an emergency. If it is an emergency, he also cannot stretch the field. Galloway was that type of player that could stretch the field and take a safety with him allowing Moss and Welker to operate under neath with out that safety help. Unfortunately, he could not get on the field in this system. That brings us to Patten. He is healthy now. He ran a 4.3 and change when he worked out for the Pats. He knows this system and knows Brady well. With 3 or 4 wide outs on the field, sending Patten deep will make take a safety with him. If he catches 20-30 balls (similiar to D Stallworth)he could take 5-6 of them to the end zone. But better yet, he will open things up for the other wide outs. Patten is also a de facto assistant coach on the field and in the locker room. To think Patten will automatically be cut is wrong. Of course it will have to be proven on the field, but give the guy a chance. Seems to me as the Pats #5, if he is the Patten of 2 and 3 years ago, he is an asset.
    Posted by ronk1
    Price can stretch the field because he can fly 4.4 40 times, I think Hernandez can stretch the field from the H back position as he is a nightmare for the opposing DB's to have too handle,Holt will be the possession receiver and Moss will be the primary receiver and Julien Edelman is going to work the slot just like he did last year when Welker was out. The question is who else steps up too fill the speed receiver opposite Moss and I think thats why they drafted Price and why they brought in Patten, I think they are set at the WR position it's just the who and what role that has to be determined.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

In Response to Re: wide out situation:
    Ronk, David Patten didn't run a 4.3 comming out of Western Carolina what makes you think he is running one now... when he is 35, and spent the year out of football in 2009 becaseu he could not heal his torn groin muscle....   The only way this cat runs a 4.3 is if he shot HGH into his groin every day for that past 24 months he has been on the shelf. give me a break Even Robert Kraft said publicly not to count out brandon tate i think he would know, seeing how Tate is his investment Did you Ricky Williams and Aaron Hernandez just light one up? It must have been good stuff
    Posted by tagandtrade

just to set the rcord straight..
    Patten in his last healthy year with N.O. ran a 4.28 40
    Tate in his last healthy year at UNC ran a 4.52. He did not run at the combine, although he did participate in some drills such as the long jump
    Price at the combine ran a 4.41.
    While speed is not every thing, Patten can stretch the field, knows how to run routes and has Brady's confidence. He also ran so I am told by a reliable source a 4.36-4.37 when he worked out for the Pats before signing.
    I am not saying he is the answer for the Pats at WR, but they do need someone to stretch the field, and he COULD be the guy to do it.
    Surely Krafts comments about Tate were in reference to KO return duties, and clearly if all things play out according to plan Moss, Edelman and Holt are locks, leaving Patten, Tate and Price to battle for the last 2 spots. Most likely Price on the taxi. If healthy, I believe Patten can help this team. 
    As said, it needs to be stated on the field, but don't write the guy off. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Ronk,

Tate is a 4.3 guy and Price is a 4.4 guy they were both draft in the third round the last two years. Tate had a round one grade...

Patten, who supposedly ran a 4.28 out of Western Carolina went undrafted in 1997.

How does a relatively unknown kid in Price, comming from a option offense in a mediocure conference get picked third after he ran a 4.4 and has no experience in a pro style offense...?

I guess the reason I have trouble believing your source is because a 4.28 gets drafted regardless of the school, especially when he is an all conference player like Patten was and seeing how he was never drafted i would suspect that you got that BS from Albert Breer or John Tomasse.

4.3 40 @ 35 with no groin

give it up 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Tate and Price are not Flankers

they fit the Gaf mold as a # 2 receiver... that is why they were drafted... I aggree that Tate was drafted for his return skills more than his receiving skills and Price was drafted for his toughness as well as his blocking, but they are # 2 receivers.

Mosses replacement if the patriots are lucky will be AJ Green, he is 6'5" 4.4 speed with a 40 + vertical. He is mocking between the first pick and the seventh.

He is a flanker, he is built like Megatron only a little bit leaner and smoother...

Beside Moss is just posturing with that cheap talk about how the patriots do not pay. he will settle for a contract if they go deep in the play offs... if they do not I think he may find his way onto the next up and comming young team with super bowl talent. The Eagles, he would line up with Desean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin and Brent Celek, that is a pretty sick team, and Desean can stretch the field.

I am a patriots fan but that is where i see him going

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I don't see a problem at WR as mentioned in the first post. The pats are solid with young talent and veteran talent. Brady now has a plethera of recievers. Aikens is gone, and i think Patten will make the team as well as Farnham

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

Ronk, Tate is a 4.3 guy and Price is a 4.4 guy they were both draft in the third round the last two years. Tate had a round one grade... Patten, who supposedly ran a 4.28 out of Western Carolina went undrafted in 1997. How does a relatively unknown kid in Price, comming from a option offense in a mediocure conference get picked third after he ran a 4.4 and has no experience in a pro style offense...? I guess the reason I have trouble believing your source is because a 4.28 gets drafted regardless of the school, especially when he is an all conference player like Patten was and seeing how he was never drafted i would suspect that you got that BS from Albert Breer or John Tomasse. 4.3 40 @ 35 with no groin give it up 
    Posted by tagandtrade

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

Ronk, Tate is a 4.3 guy and Price is a 4.4 guy they were both draft in the third round the last two years. Tate had a round one grade... Patten, who supposedly ran a 4.28 out of Western Carolina went undrafted in 1997. How does a relatively unknown kid in Price, comming from a option offense in a mediocure conference get picked third after he ran a 4.4 and has no experience in a pro style offense...? I guess the reason I have trouble believing your source is because a 4.28 gets drafted regardless of the school, especially when he is an all conference player like Patten was and seeing how he was never drafted i would suspect that you got that BS from Albert Breer or John Tomasse. 4.3 40 @ 35 with no groin give it up 
    Posted by tagandtrade

Tagandtrade
    Google Mike Mayocks combine times for Price and Patten. As I said, Tate did not run at he combine, but he did run a 4.52 at UNC
    Pattens time at his Pats meeting earlier this year was reported to me at 4.36-4.38 by some one who was at that session.
    Also, read the scout reviews on both Price and Tate, as most reports have them as slot recievers, not splt recievers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

I'm not sure how many receivers the Pats will keep on the 53 man roster.  Mike Reiss made the point that it will come down to special teams contribution for Tate, Price, Aiken, Stanback and Slater, as well as the handful on rookie free agents.  Moss, Edleman and Holt would appear to be locks to make the roster.  This might leave Patten the odd man out as he would not participate in special teams.

Side note: Reiss called Taylor Price a 4.3 40 guy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HartLeeDykesEuguneChung. Show HartLeeDykesEuguneChung's posts

It doesn't matter what Patton might be able to run, rarely does a 1-2 year player with potential get cut in order to keep a 35 year old player who has been out of football.  I think you will see Moss, Holt and Edelman a lot, with Tate and painfully Aiken filling out the 5 receiver sets until Welker gets back.  I think Moss, HOlt, Edelman, Tate, Price and Aiken make the team, and Aiken gets cut when Welker returns.  I know Aiken is a valuable Special Teams player, but hopefully McCourty can take over for him in that role.  AIken just did so little as the 2nd receiver last year that we can't justify cutting actual receivers to keep him covering punts.  Slater, Stanbeck and Patton get cut in training camp.  I also think that you will see Faulk and the rookies TE flanked out once in a while.  I also really like the 4 receiver set of Moss, Welker, Edelman and Holt; very difficult for D's to cover both those little guys in the middle of the field.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ONE-TIME. Show ONE-TIME's posts

I guess I would buy into the fact that the Pats are set , but lets be clear here , they could most definitely upgrade the group. I think unless something falls into their lap this is what we're going to see , Moss at flanker , Holt playing the X and Edelman in the slot. Tate will absolutely see some run , I understand and know all about his S.T. talents , but if this kid doesnt get hurt , hes a top 15-20 pick because of his WR skills. And when he does play I believe Tate will be playing in the X spot , the Pats have been lacking a solid X receiver for years. On paper the Pats might not have the greatest WR corp , but think its more than enough to make a serious run at another ring. IMHO the biggest problem w/ our O was the play calling , predictability and lets not forget that Moss played almost an entire year w/ a seperated shoulder and bad back. That cant be overstated enough , hes an all time top 3 WR with a skill set that the league has never seen before an absolutely will never see again. Fitz is widely regarded as the best WR in the league , although I would argue that A.J. is 1b , if not 1a. As good as Fitz is he'll need 30 TD's and 2000 yards to match the numbers Moss put up in his first 7 years. Even at 33 Randy is still the "super freak" and will put up big numbers no doubt. He put up over 1260 yards and had 13 TD's w/ an injured shoulder and back. The Pats need much better play calling and a little creativity and IMHO they'll be fine. And although I agree that we need big help at this position after this year , Id be extremely surprised if we took AJ Green w/ a top 10 pick. Depending on how much Russell plays we could be looking at a top 5 pick. If this draft was considered the year of the DT , next years will be considered the year of the DE/DT. Lets be honest here , theres a huge chance the Pats trade out of this spot if there isnt a rookie wage scale in place. If there is and I think there will be , I dont see them picking Green. Right now we have a big hole at the 5 technique and I really dont see anyone on our roster stepping in and taking over the position to the point that it'll be theirs for a couple years. There are two potential great DE/DT's coming out this year that could absolutely help the Pats from day one if we take one. Marcell Dareus and Cameron Heyward will no doubt be top ten picks if they come out and theres no reason to think they wont. If we go somewhere else we could grab Adrian Clayborn or Marvin Austin who could play the 5 tech or grab a WR w/ OUR pick. Yes Green has a lot of talent , but is so much better than Michael Floyd or Jonathan Bladwin , I dont think so. And depending on how far we go this year , we might have a shot at Juilo Jones if we're in the early 20's.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I guess I would buy into the fact that the Pats are set , but lets be clear here , they could most definitely upgrade the group. I think unless something falls into their lap this is what we're going to see , Moss at flanker , Holt playing the X and Edelman in the slot. Tate will absolutely see some run , I understand and know all about his S.T. talents , but if this kid doesnt get hurt , hes a top 15-20 pick because of his WR skills. And when he does play I believe Tate will be playing in the X spot , the Pats have been lacking a solid X receiver for years. On paper the Pats might not have the greatest WR corp , but think its more than enough to make a serious run at another ring. IMHO the biggest problem w/ our O was the play calling , predictability and lets not forget that Moss played almost an entire year w/ a seperated shoulder and bad back. That cant be overstated enough , hes an all time top 3 WR with a skill set that the league has never seen before an absolutely will never see again. Fitz is widely regarded as the best WR in the league , although I would argue that A.J. is 1b , if not 1a. As good as Fitz is he'll need 30 TD's and 2000 yards to match the numbers Moss put up in his first 7 years. Even at 33 Randy is still the "super freak" and will put up big numbers no doubt. He put up over 1260 yards and had 13 TD's w/ an injured shoulder and back. The Pats need much better play calling and a little creativity and IMHO they'll be fine. And although I agree that we need big help at this position after this year , Id be extremely surprised if we took AJ Green w/ a top 10 pick. Depending on how much Russell plays we could be looking at a top 5 pick. If this draft was considered the year of the DT , next years will be considered the year of the DE/DT. Lets be honest here , theres a huge chance the Pats trade out of this spot if there isnt a rookie wage scale in place. If there is and I think there will be , I dont see them picking Green. Right now we have a big hole at the 5 technique and I really dont see anyone on our roster stepping in and taking over the position to the point that it'll be theirs for a couple years. There are two potential great DE/DT's coming out this year that could absolutely help the Pats from day one if we take one. Marcell Dareus and Cameron Heyward will no doubt be top ten picks if they come out and theres no reason to think they wont. If we go somewhere else we could grab Adrian Clayborn or Marvin Austin who could play the 5 tech or grab a WR w/ OUR pick. Yes Green has a lot of talent , but is so much better than Michael Floyd or Jonathan Bladwin , I dont think so. And depending on how far we go this year , we might have a shot at Juilo Jones if we're in the early 20's.
    Posted by ONE-TIME

I agree, as much as people complain about the WR group the Pats still have the superfreak.  There's at least 25 teams out there that would love to have a receiver of Moss' caliber.  The Pats receiver group will be above average, with a chance to be great if the other receivers work out. 

I'm not a smart X and O guy but it seems running two deep routes would be sort of dumb.  Isn't the idea to put the safety in a position where he can't cover 2 guys so one WR just has to beat a CB?  The WR doesn't have to outrun the CB just run a good route that is difficult to cover.  Because of how long the ball is in the air, can't a safety cover a 2 deep routes on either side of the field?  Anyway I like Holt as a great compliment to Moss.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Posted by ronk1

Moss stretches the field Better than any receiver we have ever had including Stanley Morgan. We don't need a whole team full of guys that stretch the field like that. We need TE's and WR's that can run appropriate pass routes, get first downs and get yards after the catch. We won 3 Superbowls with less receiving talent than we have right now. That's why people figure we're all set there. I'm more worried about our Offensive line and RB's than I am Wide Receiver.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mar10fern. Show mar10fern's posts

In Response to Re: wide out situation : just to set the rcord straight.. Patten in his last healthy year with N.O. ran a 4.28 40 Tate in his last healthy year at UNC ran a 4.52. He did not run at the combine, although he did participate in some drills such as the long jump Price at the combine ran a 4.41. While speed is not every thing, Patten can stretch the field, knows how to run routes and has Brady's confidence. He also ran so I am told by a reliable source a 4.36-4.37 when he worked out for the Pats before signing. I am not saying he is the answer for the Pats at WR, but they do need someone to stretch the field, and he COULD be the guy to do it. Surely Krafts comments about Tate were in reference to KO return duties, and clearly if all things play out according to plan Moss, Edelman and Holt are locks, leaving Patten, Tate and Price to battle for the last 2 spots. Most likely Price on the taxi. If healthy, I believe Patten can help this team.  As said, it needs to be stated on the field, but don't write the guy off. 
    Posted by ronk1

Patten has NEVER run a 4.28...Never mind in his last year with the Saints!

Do you even HAVE A CLUE ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT?

4.2's are #'s that Moss would put out as a rookie.  I don't need no stinking stopwatch to see that Patten in his 30's is not as fast as Moss in his 20's  All you need is a pair of eyes.

4.2 is SUPERFREAK FAST AND YOUR AN IDIOT FOR RANTING ON ABOUT CRAP YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: wide out situation : Tagandtrade Google Mike Mayocks combine times for Price and Patten. As I said, Tate did not run at he combine, but he did run a 4.52 at UNC Pattens time at his Pats meeting earlier this year was reported to me at 4.36-4.38 by some one who was at that session. Also, read the scout reviews on both Price and Tate, as most reports have them as slot recievers, not splt recievers.
    Posted by ronk1
    If they both are slot receivers then they will be waiting a long time too play cause Edelman has that job until Welker returns. Like I stated earlier Holt will be the #2 WR,though it is more conventional to have a speed guy opposite another speed guy the option Holt provides is immense! He never had speed to start with and all he's ever done is catch passes! Patten if healthy will grab the #4 spot he has a chemistry with Brady that is incomparable. The two rookies Tate and Price will fight it out with the Two UDFA's for the final two spots. Don't sell either of the UDFA's short,Bryan Anderson from CMSU and Farnham from Brown both had excellent college careers and are more than adequate WR's,in Anderson's case he is a big target at 6'3.5",Farnham is a burst and cut guy who has great hands and he went to HS at BB's favorite local HS Andover. It should be a great battle for the WR position during camp.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

In Response to Re: wide out situation : Patten has NEVER run a 4.28...Never mind in his last year with the Saints! Do you even HAVE A CLUE ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT? 4.2's are #'s that Moss would put out as a rookie.  I don't need no stinking stopwatch to see that Patten in his 30's is not as fast as Moss in his 20's  All you need is a pair of eyes. 4.2 is SUPERFREAK FAST AND YOUR AN IDIOT FOR RANTING ON ABOUT CRAP YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT!
    Posted by mar10fern

Mar10fern,
    You numbskull. Read what I said. I did not say that Patten ran a 4.28. I said that Mike Mayock said Patten ran a 4.28 in his last year with the Saints. I also did not say that Patten ran a 4.38 when he had a tryout (and signed obviously) with the Pats. I said that some one of very strong credentials WHO WAS AT THE PATS WORKOUT said he ran a 4.36-4.38 (obviously 2 watches were used).
    Repeat, WHAT I DID SAY...this does not mean Patten should make the team! The decision will be made on the field. But clearly Brady is comfortable with Patten, and if he is healthy, he should not be seen as an after thought for the team.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: wide out situation : Mar10fern, You numbskull.Posted by ronk1

LOL, that's telling him

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Highly doubt Patten ever ran a 4.3 in his life and if he did it certainly doesn't translate to the field. Patten to me was a very quick twitch type of guy, with good, not great long speed. Don't get me wrong, I always liked him and I'm sure he must have shown something for them to sign him, but if a 35 year old reciever makes the roster we are in trouble.

I think one of the recievers, either Tate or Price will be asked to have a mysterious ankle or groin injury a week before camp ends and be put on the pup to buy them 6 weeks. They do need a guy that can stretch things opposite Moss, Price has that speed, but coming from the system he was in I doubt he will have Brady's confidence. Tate hopefully is recovered from his injury and will know the play book and contribute. Holt will probably fill in as a medium distance route runner and will run good routes, but I don't know if he will stretch things or get much seperation. I like Edelman, but he gets hurt alot and needs to improve his hands a bit. Patten? Who knows. He used to be a very quick, tough, reliable guy. Maybe he plays the slot for a few games until he looses his legs and we bring Price off the pup. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Both Tate and Price bring the right attitude and work ethic. Great to hear the good words Brady had to say about Tate.

Tate definitely makes the 45 man roster. Don't forget he was the best Kick returner in College before the injury. He is fluid and an excellent YAC'er. We'll see.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

You do NOT need 2 WR's that can stretch the field. Moss does that enough... The problem last year was that everyone knew MOSS was stretching the field, and WELKER was catching the short, there was no one else... HOLT alone will make a big impact cuz it will give brady another target while moss stretches the field. You have HOLT, Edelman who both can work underneath... Holt can even stretch the field on the other side... You dont always need a burner, u just need a guy who can catch the ball so the safety has to respect him even if he goes deep...  And Holt definitely can catch the ball... Especially DEEP even if hes not a speed demon anymore... Also the TE's working the middle will give even more options and notice... none of this even included any production from TATE or PRICE... If tate works out then the possibilities are even better.

Also dont forget how this impacts the running game. Last year: all a team had to do was worry about welker and that was basically it. If holt, or the new TE's start catching passes in the mid range then the linebackers cant run commit everytime... And if pats are more successful running the ball, that means play action will be even more successful in the redzone..

It all works in harmony... Its never been about giving brady brandon marshall or fitz... Its ALWAYS been about giving brady MULTIPLE OPTIONS. Its been forgotten the last few years with the addition of randy moss and the high flying offense but bill is working back towards the good old days when brady's favorite target was the OPEN target... 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

40 times are overrated, I would watch them on film and see how fast they are there. Jerry Rice ran in the 4.6-4.7's I believe at the combine, he played much faster. 40 times are without pads and helmets, although 40 times translate to a degree they arent everything

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

Posted by ronk1

Tate/Akien/ and probably price wil all be able to stretch the field, Tate ran a 4.35 [rice ran a 4.4 and akien was a beast all ;ast year, making circus catches, idk what games u where watching but he help us out alot...

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Posted by ronk1

If Patten makes the 53, I'm going to be sad. It would signify that the younger players the Pats brought in have sucked, which would lend to the recently growing notion that the Pats are losing their touch of developing young players. Fortuanely, I don't see that happening.

Patten is 36, you know.

IMO, they brought him back as a veteran body for camp with the likelyhood of having him retire as a Patriot. Patten is Patriots HoF worthy.