Wilbur (ugh!)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

Wilbur (ugh!)

Why do I even bother to ready that ???journalist???'s writing.  He blames the Patriots for Hernandez that they "let loose this (alleged) murderer" on the community.  Seriously?

Yes, he had character issues in college.  So did many other players, and some the Patriots rehabilitated.  However, did anyone -- I repeat anyone -- have even an inkling that this guy would commit murder?  Really now!

I put Wilbur in a class even lower that the poster who is the constant Brady bassher and one who is a constant Belichech basher because Wilbur has a wider readership.

What garbage!!!!

SLGDEV/sheldong/sheldonlg

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

Re: Wilbur (ugh!)

He comes across as a scorned beetch.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_483130. Show user_483130's posts

Reiss said in either his mail bag or chat this week that AH had "everyone fooled". Sad to see someone throw it all away over a spilled drink...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I am not an expert on the matter, but wouldn't it seem AH was using drugs to have such high level of paranoia? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to SLGDEV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why do I even bother to ready that ???journalist???'s writing.  He blames the Patriots for Hernandez that they "let loose this (alleged) murderer" on the community.  Seriously?

Yes, he had character issues in college.  So did many other players, and some the Patriots rehabilitated.  However, did anyone -- I repeat anyone -- have even an inkling that this guy would commit murder?  Really now!

I put Wilbur in a class even lower that the poster who is the constant Brady bassher and one who is a constant Belichech basher because Wilbur has a wider readership.

What garbage!!!!

[/QUOTE]

I don't get your irritation with Wilbur? The guy is a columnist, and is paid to have an opinion and write about it to get eyeballs. 

Granted, his opinion is not aligned with yours, but can't you even acknowledge there is another angle of the situation that runs counter to yours?

AH was a great player, and a fan favorite. What he did, or reported to do is simply of great interest to the majority of fans here, and across the nation. I would think this is going to be in the lead for quite some time..this is what, Wilbur's 4th or 5th piece on topic? Seems he has been pretty stead fast in wanting to know how this could happen, and what is being done to insure it doesn't happen again

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Isn't Wilbur's article mostly about PR strategy?   The Pats' deflecting all questions does seem a little paranoid to me and could seem overly uncaring or callous to the public.   I don't think they need to make any big statements (and if I were their PR guy I'd advise against that). But I do think I'd advise them, when asked, to say that the murders are a terrible tragedy and their sympathy lies with those that lost their lives or their loved ones.  That they are aware their ex-employee, Aaron Hernandez has been indicted and that at this point, it's a matter for the courts to resolve and that all they can hope for is for justice to be done. 

No more comment than that, but at least acknowledge what happened and don't try to project a seemingly callous and uncaring "we refuse to acknowledge anything happened" attitude. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Isn't Wilbur's article mostly about PR strategy?   The Pats' deflecting all questions does seem a little paranoid to me and could seem overly uncaring or callous to the public.   I don't think they need to make any big statements (and if I were their PR guy I'd advise against that). But I do think I'd advise them, when asked, to say that the murders are a terrible tragedy and their sympathy lies with those that lost their lives or their loved ones.  That they are aware their ex-employee, Aaron Hernandez has been indicted and that at this point, it's a matter for the courts to resolve and that all they can hope for is for justice to be done. 

No more comment than that, but at least acknowledge what happened and don't try to project a seemingly callous and uncaring "we refuse to acknowledge anything happened" attitude. 

[/QUOTE]

They did acknowledge and expressed their sympathy right after he was arrested and it became known.  They also released him immediately.  Are they now obligated, according to Wilbur, to keep on wringing their hands?  I don't think so.  They did the right thing last year and now they are done with it.

What Wilbur is saying is more than that.  He is, in effect, saying that they should never have drafted him because they had at least an idea that this kind of thing could happen.  He also blames the Patriots for siccing him on an unsuspecting public.  Well, hindsight is always 20-20.  His article is pure nonsense.  (I would have used another term, but I didn't want this post removed).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bustify. Show Bustify's posts

I agree that his opinion is stupid. However, it is his opinion, so I cannot tell him he is wrong...plus there are probably some people who would agree with him.

Again, while I think his idea is dumb, he is paid to write articles with his opinion....I can't blame him for that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

In response to Bustify's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree that his opinion is stupid. However, it is his opinion, so I cannot tell him he is wrong...plus there are probably some people who would agree with him.

Again, while I think his idea is dumb, he is paid to write articles with his opinion....I can't blame him for that.

[/QUOTE]

I blame me for reading them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I don't get your irritation with Wilbur? The guy is a columnist, and is paid to have an opinion and write about it to get eyeballs. 

It's the same irritation that all the comments that follow the article are feeling. This hack is claiming Kraft should have known, when anyone with half a brain can clearly see that nobody did. There is no point in pushing Kraft under the bus here...he did nothing wrong. Judging by 99.9% of the comments, most sane people understand this article is a sad attempt at getting clicks.....sadly, just like Rusty's rantings, it works.

It's really no different that the way Felger gets good ratings. Stir the pot....and people can't stand it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

AH is a sociopath whack-job who nobody could control or know in advance the true depth of his "issues". The Pats, not U of F, or the Pats players from U of F that played with him are not responsible for calling him out prior to the deaths he caused. Who could have possibly known?

Contrived controversy sells ads and newspapers. The Pats are an easy target on this one. If you've ever dealt with the press you know they are not your friend and EVERY reporter comes to a story from a particular perspective. They are human beings, it happens. Let it roll off your back as Kraft is doing.

And no, he will not comment about it in public, probably ever. He's got his $1.5 billion plus franchise and real estate kingdom on Rt. 1 to think about. (After the sale of the Clips, it's worth much more than that now!) He's taking care of his brand. His advisers have told him to say nothing. The trial hasn't happened yet. That's why he's saying nothing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's the same irritation that all the comments that follow the article are feeling. This hack is claiming Kraft should have known, when anyone with half a brain can clearly see that nobody did. There is no point in pushing Kraft under the bus here...he did nothing wrong. Judging by 99.9% of the comments, most sane people understand this article is a sad attempt at getting clicks.....sadly, just like Rusty's rantings, it works.

It's really no different that the way Felger gets good ratings. Stir the pot....and people can't stand it.

[/QUOTE]

My position has been and continues to be, not "did Kraft know?", but did Kraft have the resources to find out more than he says he knew. I firmly believe the answer is yes he did. 

So the question isn't "did Kraft know" , but "why didn't Kraft know"?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

[QUOTE]

My position has been and continues to be, not "did Kraft know?", but did Kraft have the resources to find out more than he says he knew. I firmly believe the answer is yes he did. 

[/QUOTE]

You know Kraft has the "resources" to do just about anything he wants. Of course he could have used those resources to dig further on AH....but why should he have? Is every team supposed to spend huge $$ on private investigators for every kid that has a few black eyes on his resume? They took a chance on a kid with a questionable background & history....and got burned. They did as much as any team does for background work. Because AH turned out to be an extreme criminal, people seem to have this need to get others in on the blame.

The procedures they had in place for background checks failed. But this is a rare and extreme case, and in most situations their system works just fine. Can they try and dig a little deeper next time? I'm pretty sure they learned their lesson. AH is the bad guy here....not Kraft. In most peoples eyes, Kraft did absolutely nothing wrong here....besides get burned by a professional liar.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You know Kraft has the "resources" to do just about anything he wants. Of course he could have used those resources to dig further on AH....but why should he have? Is every team supposed to spend huge $$ on private investigators for every kid that has a few black eyes on his resume? They took a chance on a kid with a questionable background & history....and got burned. They did as much as any team does for background work. Because AH turned out to be an extreme criminal, people seem to have this need to get others in on the blame.

The procedures they had in place for background checks failed. But this is a rare and extreme case, and in most situations their system works just fine. Can they try and dig a little deeper next time? I'm pretty sure they learned their lesson. AH is the bad guy here....not Kraft. In most peoples eyes, Kraft did absolutely nothing wrong here....besides get burned by a professional liar.

[/QUOTE]

Every team in the NFL passed on him

The team has an investigation unit in house on the payroll, and the team has access to local police

the league has even more resources available as to why every team passed on him

you say, but why should he have? $40 million reasons seems like a good reason from the teams stand point.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoLongHarryTruman. Show SoLongHarryTruman's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He was an undrafted free agent?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to SoLongHarryTruman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

no, he was a top 15 talent that over half the NFL teams took off their draft board, and he lingered until the 4th round due to character concerns.

I understand the argument, "how could the Pats know?" I agree with that...they couldn't know...

What I don't get is how do they not check him out with all the red flags, and if they properly checked, how are all of these red flags missed?

Forget the BPD, the FBI or even the in house private investigators...how about simply asking his team mates?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If you can't see why Kraft didn't know then I feel sorry for you! If you think about it, you would realize you are advocating the type of invasion of privacy that was the norm in the Soviet Union during the darkest days of the cold war.

I have a question for you, Why didn't you know and tell everyone that AH was going to murder people? You work for ESPN, you should have known. Matter of fact I think ESPN is guilty of aiding and abetting a murderer.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

[QUOTE]

I am not an expert on the matter, but wouldn't it seem AH was using drugs to have such high level of paranoia? 

[/QUOTE]

No, some people are paranoid because they are paranoid.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I don't think the Pats did anything ethically wrong in drafting or resigning Hernandez.  If there was a mistake, it was more in poor assessment of risk. That's not an ethical failure, but it is arguably a business failure.

On their response to the Henandez situation, I also don't see any major problem with anything the Pats did. I do, however, share Wilbur's perception that Kraft and Goodell can both sound a bit sanctimonious when they talk (or refuse to talk) about their motives and their actions in running their businesses and this could, over time, make make more of the public view them cynically.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Responsible journalism is gone.  Shock jock journalism is in.  It isn't ones opinion.  It's about self indulgence.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoLongHarryTruman. Show SoLongHarryTruman's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

no, he was a top 15 talent that over half the NFL teams took off their draft board, and he lingered until the 4th round due to character concerns.

I understand the argument, "how could the Pats know?" I agree with that...they couldn't know...

What I don't get is how do they not check him out with all the red flags, and if they properly checked, how are all of these red flags missed?

Forget the BPD, the FBI or even the in house private investigators...how about simply asking his team mates?

[/QUOTE]

So, we don't know if every team would have continued passing on him. The Pat's passed on him 3 or more times... My point was simply that your statement was a reach.

I'm also curious where the strong implication comes from that the Pat's did not perform due diligence and check him out. Do you have some inside information? "...how about simply asking his team mates?" Isn't the story that his coach vouched for him?

Sections
Shortcuts