Wild Card Weekend Games Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Re: Wild Card Weekend Games Thread

Smart clock managemnt by SF.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

In response to ccnsd's comment:

If TB had legs like Rodgers he would probably take the hits Rodgers does.

tom wouldnt run. we are talking extending the play by rolling out and giving WRs more time.

Rodgers takes a lot harder hits then Brady does and he wins less playoff games, but if thats what you prefer.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:

Rodgers takes a lot harder hits then Brady does and he wins less playoff games, but if thats what you prefer.

Rodgers takes a lot harder hits downfield when he runs. I'm saying if Brady could extend plays by rolling out and giving WRs more time he'd have ore SBs.

I'm not saying running, just rolling out and extending. Rodgers only takes bad hits when he runs

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:

San Diego caught a huge break that this game wasn't played in frigid conditions. Nonetheless...I owe my San Diego Charger buddy JBolt an apology for knocking the Chargers. Congratulations to the Bolts on a great win.

What? It was 22 degrees out there, below freezing

TexPat was responding to me indirectly for admonishing him because I said the Bengals were not fit nor good enough to play our Pats, he pretty much said prior to today's game I was wrong on all counts, now he is slinking away thanking a troll on his way out instead of just simply saying I was right and he was wrong.  

But I guess as long as he has JBolt's respect...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:

San Diego caught a huge break that this game wasn't played in frigid conditions. Nonetheless...I owe my San Diego Charger buddy JBolt an apology for knocking the Chargers. Congratulations to the Bolts on a great win.

What? It was 22 degrees out there, below freezing

TexPat was responding to me indirectly for admonishing him because I said the Bengals were not fit nor good enough to play our Pats, he pretty much said prior to today's game I was wrong on all counts, now he is slinking away thanking a troll on his way out instead of just simply saying I was right and he was wrong.  

But I guess as long as he has JBolt's respect...

Boomshackala!  Haha what's the word Wozz! How do we match up with the colts?

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

The Colts defense is pretty solid like most playoff teams, they can be run against though which should play into our playoff game plan nicely, they are the 26th ranked team in terms of yards and 25th in terms of yards per carry, only two guys on that interior have any mass and neither is a World beater but Josh Chapman was a solid draft pick and has been playing more.  

Their pass defense on the other hand has been pretty good, they don't give up a lot of touchdowns.  All in all we should be able to overpower and fool this defense with a healthy dose of running, play action and cold weather.

Offensively the interior of their O line is a weakness while their tackles are fairly strong, we should be able to get some pressure up the middle.  I like the matchup of Luck vs Belichick here, he always has some tricks up his sleeve and this has shades of Patriot'/Colts games of old.  

No game is a given, this team is tough and with a great QB like they have they always have a punchers chance, the gameplan should be to keep Luck off the field by controlling the clock.  We should beat these guys.  Now that the Chiefs are gone the Broncos at home should be our biggest challenge.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

The Colts defense is pretty solid like most playoff teams, they can be run against though which should play into our playoff game plan nicely, they are the 26th ranked team in terms of yards and 25th in terms of yards per carry, only two guys on that interior have any mass and neither is a World beater but Josh Chapman was a solid draft pick and has been playing more.  

Their pass defense on the other hand has been pretty good, they don't give up a lot of touchdowns.  All in all we should be able to overpower and fool this defense with a healthy dose of running, play action and cold weather.

Offensively the interior of their O line is a weakness while their tackles are fairly strong, we should be able to get some pressure up the middle.  I like the matchup of Luck vs Belichick here, he always has some tricks up his sleeve and this has shades of Patriot'/Colts games of old.  

No game is a given, this team is tough and with a great QB like they have they always have a punchers chance, the gameplan should be to keep Luck off the field by controlling the clock.  We should beat these guys.  Now that the Chiefs are gone the Broncos at home should be our biggest challenge.

control the clock is the answer......when on D....keep hands up and keep Luck in pocket...don't let him scramble

• You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I tend to agree, given our current offense and the Colts defense, that running the ball makes sense in this game.  We need to be productive in the running game and good defensively for that strategy to work, though. You can't just run and hope it works. It's got to lead to longer drives and points.  If we don't run well or we give up too many big pass plays to Luck and that leads to the Colts scoring a lot early we could be forced into relying on the pass more than we might want.  That will be a real test given the current state of the receiving corp.

I think our corners match up well with the Colt's receivers, Hilton should get a lot of Arrington physical match ups with over the top help from McCourty.  DaRick Rodgers is someone we have to watch out for, he is big but both Talib and Dennard are just the solution.  I had him ranked on my draft board, I liked that kid as another "big" receiver option.  All around we need to play solid fundamental defense and we should beat these guys the same way we beat the Colts of old, we just need to use the same methods of old.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think our corners match up well with the Colt's receivers, Hilton should get a lot of Arrington physical match ups with over the top help from McCourty.  DaRick Rodgers is someone we have to watch out for, he is big but both Talib and Dennard are just the solution.  I had him ranked on my draft board, I liked that kid as another "big" receiver option.  All around we need to play solid fundamental defense and we should beat these guys the same way we beat the Colts of old, we just need to use the same methods of old.

Luck is still prone to making a few mistakes and oddly Logan Ryan seems to be particularly good at capitalizing on them.  I'll go out on a limb and predict at least one key interception by Ryan in the game.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I tend to agree, given our current offense and the Colts defense, that running the ball makes sense in this game.  We need to be productive in the running game and good defensively for that strategy to work, though. You can't just run and hope it works. It's got to lead to longer drives and points.  If we don't run well or we give up too many big pass plays to Luck and that leads to the Colts scoring a lot early we could be forced into relying on the pass more than we might want.  That will be a real test given the current state of the receiving corp.

Going just by this years results running the ball won't be a problem. We ranked 9th in the league in rushing, and had a better yards per carry then all but 1 of the 8 teams ahead of us.

Our power run game has been devastating all year with 1,500 yards and 14 tds. The only thing that will stop the run is us. Now of course if Luck shreds our D and goes up by a few scores early that changes, but hopefully if they go up by 1 score we won't start going pass heavy aginst this team....like we have shown a propensity of doing in close games this year.

We don't have the receiving core, and Brady has already been sacked far more times then he has since his rookie year. 40 sacks, coincidentally he has also thrown the 2nd most attempts of his career. Probably not the best way to protect the 36 year old future hall of famer.

i say run early, run often, and kill the colts with timely pass plays and start relying on some check downs...I noticed after watching all of the wild card games, we use the check down less then anybody. Always looking down field for our complex route trees to develop. Perhaps this ties into Brady taking more sacks then he has in 12 years?

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I'd say it's pretty telling, with how slow our passing game started this year breaking in new receivers and injuries, that we finished the season ranked 10th in passing yards. I can't say we don't have the weapons anymore, we seem to be getting better not worse in the passing game.  

The same could also be said for the running game where our rushing yards per attempt has been steadily rising with the emergence and heavy use of Blount, I'd say that both the improvement in passing and rushing are due to both being used in concert and familiarity by the offense, McDaniels also seems to realize what he has now and they are gelling at just the right time.  

The addition of Siliga also was fortunate for the biggest weakness on our D, I like our chances.

I'd say it's pretty telling, with how slow our passing game started this year breaking in new receivers and injuries, that we finished the season ranked 10th in passing yards. I can't say we don't have the weapons anymore, we seem to be getting better not worse in the passing game.  

The same could also be said for the running game where our rushing yards per attempt has been steadily rising with the emergence and heavy use of Blount, I'd say that both the improvement in passing and rushing are due to both being used in concert and familiarity by the offense, McDaniels also seems to realize what he has now and they are gelling at just the right time.  

The addition of Siliga also was fortunate for the biggest weakness on our D, I like our chances.

I think the passing game improved, but without Gronk, Thompkins, or Dobson, we've got a bit of a size issue in the red zone.  I like Edelman, Amendola, and Collie in the open field, but when things get tight near the goal line, big receivers are helpful.  We ended up with a lot of redzone FGs at the end of the season.  Compared to other high scoring offenses we were really skewed toward FGs rather than TDs.  That's a bit of a concern, I think.  A lot will depend on how effective our running game is in the redzone and whether guys like Vereen, Hoomanawanui, Mulligan, and Develin can add someting in the red zone passing game. 

• Sections
    Shortcuts