WILD CARD WEEKEND PICKS, and "Game of the Week"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

WILD CARD WEEKEND PICKS, and "Game of the Week"

This is a boring week for us Patriots' fans, who are chomping at the bit for a week from Sunday, when the Boys in Blue most likely will host the Cincinnati Bengals. Folks...the Pats have now been made the prohibitive favorite to win the SB, now that Los Vegas has learned that Hulk Hogan is a Patriots' fan! As for the Broncos, Bengals, Colts, Chiefs, Chargers, 49ers, Packers, Seahawks, Panthers, Saints, Eagles, "What you gonna do, when the Hulkster and the Patriots run wild on you!!" Here are my picks, with the "Game of the Week" being:

1.) (11-5) New Orleans Saints (+2.5) @ (10-6) Philadelphia Eagles: Saturday night game could be the best, and most entertaining game of the weekend. The Eagles have the top running game in the NFL, with a solid stable of runners, led by the game's best all-around RB, LeSean McCoy. The man known as "Shady" led the NFL in rushing this season with 1607 yards, while averaging over 5 yards per carry. He also is a threat coming out of the backfield in the passing game, with 52 receptions, averaging over ten yards per reception. In the passing game, the dangerous Desean Jackson lurks, having hauled in 82 passes, and averaging over 16 yards per catch. On the other hand, the Eagles were last in the league in pass defense, giving up an average of more than 290 yards per game. That pass defense will be matched up against the second best passing attack in the league, led by the dynamic combo of Drew Brees and TE Jimmy Graham. Philly has compensated for their poor pass defense by finishing tied for third in the league in take-aways, with 31. Though the Saints "D" had been pretty good in this area as well, their offense has shown a propensity to turn the ball over when playing on the road. With temperatures in Philadelphia expected to be in the teens at game time, it will be interesting to see how the Saints' dome honed passing attack stands up. For the Saints to come out of freezing Philly with a win, they can't turn the ball over. Whatever happens, lets all hope that the officiating is dramatically improved over what we've seen throughout the regular season: PICK: Eagles;

2.) (11-5) Kansas City Chiefs (+2) @ (11-5) Indianapolis Colts: Could the bloom be off the rose, regarding Andy Reid's Chiefs? After winning their first nine games, they lost five of their last seven. One of those losses was to the Colts in Kansas City, 23-7, just a couple of weeks ago. Injuries to their dynamic pass rushing duo of Justin Houston and Tamba Hali have triggered the downslide...as the Chiefs have not been able to apply any consistent pressure on opposing QBs since. The Colts are an enigma. Statistically, they are a very average team. Yet, they have scored impressive wins over Seattle, San Francisco, and Denver early in the season. They have also won four of their last five games. But, three of those wins came at home against the three weak sister teams in their own division...Houston, Jacksonville, and Tennessee. Other than the win in Kansas City, they were blown out in Cincinnati by the Bengals, in their only other significant test. In a game that could go either way: PICK: Chiefs;

3.) (9-7) San Diego Chargers (+7) @ (11-5) Cincinnati Bengals: The Chargers lucked into a playoff birth, thanks to a missed 41 yard FG by Chiefs' PK, Ryan Succop. Had Succop not sucked, the Bengals would be facing a far sterner test, in the battle hardened Goths of Pittsburgh. Cincinnati may have the best all around talent of any team in the AFC. The only thing that's held them back previously has been some erratic play by QB Andy Dalton, and the mediocre coaching of Marvin Lewis: PICK: Bengals;

4.) (12-4) San Francisco 49ers @ (8-7-1) Green Bay Packers (+3): It's going to be cold. Not Ice Bowl cold, but nonetheless frigid, in the Land of Lombardi. The Packers are a different team with Aaron Rodgers at the helm. But, San Francisco has the better defense. As is usually the case in playoff competition, turnovers will decide this game. In what may be a surprisingly low scoring game: PICK: 49ers.

BEST BET: Bengals...all day long.

As always, your thoughts and predictions on these games are welcome.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: WILD CARD WEEKEND PICKS, and

I agree with you regarding the first 2... as far as Cincy is concerned until Andy Dalton and marvin Lewis actually win something of value it is hard for me to pick cincy although i agree EVERYTHING points to a cincy win.

In the GB game I know you referenced the weather but i don't think you are giving it enough play. It is going to be somewhere around 0 to -5 at kickoff with a wind chill possibly as low as -20. San Fran has practiced in 60 degree weather all week and Rodgers is used to playing in these conditions. The Pack in an upset. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

Nice post as usual TPat---thanks for putting in the effort---I agree with ghost, Cincy has a wealth of talent but if it comes down to mistake free QB play (or relativley mistake free) I gotta go with Rivers, who has been somewhagt of a forgotten man over the last couple of years but has had a nice season this year, the win over Denver showed me he can still hang with the top dogs (think Dallas fans would swap Romo for Rivers in a heart beat?) so this is my upset game

the other thing I would disagree with (although I know where your coming from) is that it's a boring weekend for Pats fans. I love having an entire weekend of playoff football that I can just kick back and watch other teams, and just enjoy anxiety free football Smile

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree with you regarding the first 2... as far as Cincy is concerned until Andy Dalton and marvin Lewis actually win something of value it is hard for me to pick cincy although i agree EVERYTHING points to a cincy win.

In the GB game I know you referenced the weather but i don't think you are giving it enough play. It is going to be somewhere around 0 to -5 at kickoff with a wind chill possibly as low as -20. San Fran has practiced in 60 degree weather all week and Rodgers is used to playing in these conditions. The Pack in an upset. 

[/QUOTE]

Could be. I went back and forth on this game. I almost picked the Packers because of the weather factor, because Aaron Rodgers is a better QB than Colin Kaepernick, and due to personal bias...as I detest the whiny Harbaugh brothers...especially Jim.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Could be. I went back and forth on this game. I almost picked the Packers because of the weather factor, because Aaron Rodgers is a better QB than Colin Kaepernick, and due to personal bias...as I detest the whiny Harbaugh brothers...especially Jim.  

[/QUOTE]

Right on!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Heck, why not . . . here's my bracket for the playoffs.  It's always a crapshoot anyway:

I could make arguments for any team winning in the first round, but I picked Saints over Eagles because I think the Saints playoff experience will help them.  I think SF is better than Green Bay, but GB at home in the cold is always tough.  I think Bengals will beat the Chargers at home--that's the one I feel best about--but even there an upset wouldn't surprise.  Colts/Chiefs is a toss up.  I went with the better defense there.  In a way I'd like the Colts to win, though, because I think they might give the Broncos more of a fight and I'd love to see the Pats get the AFC Championship at home after a Broncos loss. 

I just don't believe in the Seahawks.  I think the 49ers will likely beat them somewhere.  Love the Panthers as a team, but I think the injuries on an already weak offense will hurt them.

If the Broncos do win the AFC Championship, then I think the 49ers win the Super Bowl.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

TexPat..  picks all look solid.

What I like about facing the Bengals again, pay back to get them in Foxboro in cold weather the Pats excel in and not the monsoon that derailed the team in Cinncinati.

What every Pats fan wants after that, is Manning continues to live up to his "one and done" legacy and the Pats stay home for the AFCCG.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Chargers

Chiefs

Saints

49ers

Until I see Cincy win a playoff game, I am not picking them. Also, SD is playing with house money and might be the more balanced team anyway.  Cincy has more talent, but I am not sure about the coaching (minus Mike Zimmer) or overall balance on O and D.

The problem with SD and why they won't go far, is that they are immature and play down to their competition (lost to the Raiders and Houston).  But, this is the playoffs. Rivers is an immature turd, but he's better than Dalton.  The only other factor in this is the weather, but most of that SD team has played in some crappy weather before, so it's not anything new.  Woodhead has a lot of experience, too, so he should help. As long as Ryan Matthews doesn't fumble and Rivers avoids any INTs, I think SD wins a close one.

The Chiefs have Jamal Charles and a QB who simply doesn't turn it over.  That game will be close and there for the taking.  KC can rush the passer, stop the run and has a good secondary, where Indy doesn't really have a lot of firepower on offense outside of Hilton and maybe Fleener.  Luck is better than Smith, but not by much. Each is somewhat similar in skill set.

Saints vs Eagles, I can't see Brees being outdueled by Foles.  NOs D is far better than the crappy Eagles D and I think the ride Philly was on as the defacto NFCE champ, comes to an end, even outdoors where NOs is usually worse vs playing in a dome.

GB's D is way too crappy to hang on vs SF.  GB has too many holes and the poor drafting and contract issues, no Clay Matthews, etc, points to a win going away for SF, even in bitterly cold weather. Gore might run amuck.

[/QUOTE]

Hey Rusty! do you realize that you picked all road teams?  I think I will take the home teams to win in the AFC, and the road teams in the NFC.  I could see the Saints getting it together in Philly, and SF's defense having a good day at Lambeau.  I think Cincy beats the warm weather Chargers at home and Indy's defense plays surprisingly well at home.  Saints, 49ers, Bengals, and Colts for me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

.) (11-5) New Orleans Saints (+2.5) @ (10-6) Philadelphia Eagles: Saturday night game could be the best, and most entertaining game of the weekend. The Eagles have the top running game in the NFL, with a solid stable of runners, led by the game's best all-around RB, LeSean McCoy. The man known as "Shady" led the NFL in rushing this season with 1607 yards, while averaging over 5 yards per carry. He also is a threat coming out of the backfield in the passing game, with 52 receptions, averaging over ten yards per reception. In the passing game, the dangerous Desean Jackson lurks, having hauled in 82 passes, and averaging over 16 yards per catch. On the other hand, the Eagles were last in the league in pass defense, giving up an average of more than 290 yards per game. That pass defense will be matched up against the second best passing attack in the league, led by the dynamic combo of Drew Brees and TE Jimmy Graham. Philly has compensated for their poor pass defense by finishing tied for third in the league in take-aways, with 31. Though the Saints "D" had been pretty good in this area as well, their offense has shown a propensity to turn the ball over when playing on the road. With temperatures in Philadelphia expected to be in at best in the teens at game time, it will be interesting to see how the Saints' dome honed passing attack stands up. For the Saints to come out of freezing Philly with a win, they can't turn the ball over. Whatever happens, lets all hope that the officiating is dramatically improved over what we've seen throughout the regular season: PICK: Eagles;

2.) (11-5) Kansas City Chiefs (+2) @ (11-5) Indianapolis Colts: Could the bloom be off the rose, regarding Andy Reid's Chiefs? After winning their first nine games, they lost five of their last seven. One of those losses was to the Colts in Kansas City, 23-7, just a couple of weeks ago. Injuries to their dynamic pass rushing duo of Justin Houston and Tamba Hali have triggered the downslide...as the Chiefs have not been able to apply any consistent pressure on opposing QBs since. The Colts are an enigma. Statistically, they are a very average team. Yet, they have scored impressive wins over Seattle, San Francisco, and Denver early in the season. They have also won four of their last five games. But, three of those wins came at home against the three weak sister teams in their own division...Houston, Jacksonville, and Tennessee. Other than the win in Kansas City, they were blown out in Cincinnati by the Bengals, in their only other significant test. In a game that could go either way: PICK: Chiefs;

3.) (9-7) San Diego Chargers (+7) @ (11-5) Cincinnati Bengals: The Chargers luckd into a playoff birth, thanks to a missed 41 yard FG by Chiefs' PK, Ryan Succop. Had Succop not sucked, the Bengals would be facing a far sterner test, in the battle hardened Goths of Pittsburgh. Cincinnati may have the best all around talent of any team in the AFC. The only thing that's held them back previously has been some erratic play by QB Andy Dalton, and the mediocre coaching of Marvin Lewis: PICK: Bengals;

4.) (12-4) San Francisco 49ers @ (8-7-1) Green Bay Packers (+3): It's going to be cold. Not Ice Bowl cold, but nonetheless frigid, in the Land of Lombardi. The Packers are a different team with Aaron Rodgers at the helm. But, San Francisco has the better defense. As is usually the case in playoff competition, turnovers will decide this game. In what may be a surprisingly low scoring game: PICK: 49ers.

[/QUOTE]

I'm just glad the Pats are overrated...again

Your patchwork WR's & DB's will again cause you frustration.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to jbolted's comment:

2 posts in 16 months. Where the hell have you been?

Don't worry about the Patriots. We've still got Belichick and Brady.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

K.C.

Philadelphia

Cincinnatti

S.F.

I will go short n sweet- K.C will rebound over colts . They are a good road team.

I will go with Philly game outdoors they lost one time in 2 months. N.O not the same away from the dome.

Cincy is great at home 8-0 .. Good defense .  I think they will get thier first playoff win under lewis.

S.F. - is the better team Better D they should score on GB D . The only concern Rodgers has a game under his belt..  Plus the freezing conditions at game time . The elements could pose a problem for SF but still staying with them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

The game of the week IMO will be SF/ GB. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

3.) (9-7) San Diego Chargers (+7) @ (11-5) Cincinnati Bengals: The Chargers lucked into a playoff birth, thanks to a missed 41 yard FG by Chiefs' PK, Ryan Succop. Had Succop not sucked, the Bengals would be facing a far sterner test, in the battle hardened Goths of Pittsburgh. Cincinnati may have the best all around talent of any team in the AFC. The only thing that's held them back previously has been some erratic play by QB Andy Dalton, and the mediocre coaching of Marvin Lewis: PICK: Bengals;

I'm just glad the Pats are overrated...again. Your patchwork WR's & DB's will again cause you frustration. 

[/QUOTE]

Hello, Bolt! Welcome back! No offense my friend, but even you have to admit that the Chargers beating the Bengals in their ice box would be a major upset. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Chargers

Chiefs

Saints

49ers

Until I see Cincy win a playoff game, I am not picking them. Also, SD is playing with house money and might be the more balanced team anyway.  Cincy has more talent, but I am not sure about the coaching (minus Mike Zimmer) or overall balance on O and D.

The problem with SD and why they won't go far, is that they are immature and play down to their competition (lost to the Raiders and Houston).  But, this is the playoffs. Rivers is an immature turd, but he's better than Dalton.  The only other factor in this is the weather, but most of that SD team has played in some crappy weather before, so it's not anything new.  Woodhead has a lot of experience, too, so he should help. As long as Ryan Matthews doesn't fumble and Rivers avoids any INTs, I think SD wins a close one.

The Chiefs have Jamal Charles and a QB who simply doesn't turn it over.  That game will be close and there for the taking.  KC can rush the passer, stop the run and has a good secondary, where Indy doesn't really have a lot of firepower on offense outside of Hilton and maybe Fleener.  Luck is better than Smith, but not by much. Each is somewhat similar in skill set.

Saints vs Eagles, I can't see Brees being outdueled by Foles.  NOs D is far better than the crappy Eagles D and I think the ride Philly was on as the defacto NFCE champ, comes to an end, even outdoors where NOs is usually worse vs playing in a dome.

GB's D is way too crappy to hang on vs SF.  GB has too many holes and the poor drafting and contract issues, no Clay Matthews, etc, points to a win going away for SF, even in bitterly cold weather. Gore might run amuck.

Hey Rusty! do you realize that you picked all road teams?  I think I will take the home teams to win in the AFC, and the road teams in the NFC.  I could see the Saints getting it together in Philly, and SF's defense having a good day at Lambeau.  I think Cincy beats the warm weather Chargers at home and Indy's defense plays surprisingly well at home.  Saints, 49ers, Bengals, and Colts for me.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I realized that.  I almost picked Cincy, but I didn't.

[/QUOTE]

So, what you're saying here is that even though Cincy is a better team, you won't pick them this year or any year to win a playoff game until they win a playoff game, regardless of who they play because they lost to a good Houston team the last couple of years?   Tell me, what is it about losses in previous years, with differnt players, teams and circumstances that you think has a bearing on today?  I just love when your completely moronic posts are there for everyone to see what a..... moron you are.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

better Luck with picks today! No pun intended.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Whoops 3rd pick a bust too. Ah well they don't call it wild card wkend for nothing.  One game to go. The Pats dance card is punched- Luck coming to Gillette! I'm psyched for this match up!  Watched the Pats/colts and Luck's first trip at Gilette the 2012 season. Though that seems like ancient history now- it was a great game with a decisive WIN for the Pats. (till Gronk got hurt on a menaingless play at the end) Can't wait to see the x's and o's the Pats draw up this time. GO PATS!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

This is a boring week for us Patriots' fans, who are chomping at the bit for a week from Sunday, when the Boys in Blue most likely will host the Cincinnati Bengals. Folks...the Pats have now been made the prohibitive favorite to win the SB, now that Los Vegas has learned that Hulk Hogan is a Patriots' fan! As for the Broncos, Bengals, Colts, Chiefs, Chargers, 49ers, Packers, Seahawks, Panthers, Saints, Eagles, "What you gonna do, when the Hulkster and the Patriots run wild on you!!" Here are my picks, with the "Game of the Week" being:

1.) (11-5) New Orleans Saints (+2.5) @ (10-6) Philadelphia Eagles: Saturday night game could be the best, and most entertaining game of the weekend. The Eagles have the top running game in the NFL, with a solid stable of runners, led by the game's best all-around RB, LeSean McCoy. The man known as "Shady" led the NFL in rushing this season with 1607 yards, while averaging over 5 yards per carry. He also is a threat coming out of the backfield in the passing game, with 52 receptions, averaging over ten yards per reception. In the passing game, the dangerous Desean Jackson lurks, having hauled in 82 passes, and averaging over 16 yards per catch. On the other hand, the Eagles were last in the league in pass defense, giving up an average of more than 290 yards per game. That pass defense will be matched up against the second best passing attack in the league, led by the dynamic combo of Drew Brees and TE Jimmy Graham. Philly has compensated for their poor pass defense by finishing tied for third in the league in take-aways, with 31. Though the Saints "D" had been pretty good in this area as well, their offense has shown a propensity to turn the ball over when playing on the road. With temperatures in Philadelphia expected to be in the teens at game time, it will be interesting to see how the Saints' dome honed passing attack stands up. For the Saints to come out of freezing Philly with a win, they can't turn the ball over. Whatever happens, lets all hope that the officiating is dramatically improved over what we've seen throughout the regular season: PICK: Eagles;

[/QUOTE]

........................^^^....      does this mean that you kept betting  your money all day long on the Bengals...?   Tex...  gambling is bad for you..... 

That must have been a long day, after all....lol.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

3.) (9-7) San Diego Chargers (+7) @ (11-5) Cincinnati Bengals: The Chargers luckd into a playoff birth, thanks to a missed 41 yard FG by Chiefs' PK, Ryan Succop. Had Succop not sucked, the Bengals would be facing a far sterner test, in the battle hardened Goths of Pittsburgh. Cincinnati may have the best all around talent of any team in the AFC. The only thing that's held them back previously has been some erratic play by QB Andy Dalton, and the mediocre coaching of Marvin LewisPICK: Bengals;

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

JBolt my friend, congratulations on the Chargers huge win. I thought your boys got a huge break with the weather. Despite the heavy rain, the temperature was a relatively balmy 41 degrees. Nonetheless, great job! As I said in my erroneous prediction above, "The only thing that's held them back previously has been some erratic play by QB Andy Dalton, and the mediocre coaching of Marvin Lewis". Those things continue to hold the Bengals back. That Giovanni Bernard fumble was a game changer. Can't turn the ball over repeatedly and expect to win. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]I'm just glad the Pats are overrated...again

[/QUOTE]

2 posts in 16 months. Where the hell have you been?

Don't worry about the Patriots. We've still got Belichick and Brady.

[/QUOTE]

Just wait.. if the Chargers defeat the Broncos again, JBolted will be insufferable.  Especially if they play the Pats in the AFCCG.  He appears when the Bolts are "in the mix", otherwise, MIA.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Best bet.... Colts.......Unless once again Luck is on Pats side also....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

1 out of 4 aint that bad...lol

Sections
Shortcuts