Wilfork asks for Release from Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Wilfork asks for Release from Pats

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

Trying to be fair to the Pats, I think it's very difficult to juggle everything in a very compressed time frame with so much uncertainty everywhere.

Would they have know to a certainty that Revis would be released by the Bucs and join the team?

Until the deadline was reached, any conversation with AJ or LJ would have been a hypothetical, presumably with no signing unless VW restructured or turned them down.

How seriously would AJ or LJ take such a conversation?

Like you, I am highly frustrated with years of putting too much stock UDFAs and day 3 FAs, but this process is not all linear.

Not fully true. They had a month to talk with Wilfork and 5 days of legal tampering to talk with AJ and LJ. Much like the Welker Amendola situation if they felt things were going south quickly they could of made a deal with the other two. I understand it's complex but the Pats seem to have handled it in the past and I'm sure they will handle it in the future I think they just dropped the ball on this one.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

Is Armstead ready to take his place?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to quinzpatsfan's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

It's funny that the two players who BB fought hard with over contracts and stayed on the team won't restructure a dime. This is the price you pay for using hard nose tactics simply put. Makes you wonder if this is going to affect current players coming off their rook deals moving forward watching this happen.

Didn't stop Revis from signing, didn't stop brady from coming back every year, didn't stop Gronk or Hernz, didn't stop Mayo, almost stop mankins but didn't, didn't stop talib from coming back last year.  Honestly I don't know but I suspect the Pats are pretty much like very other team in NFL except a few.  Build through draft, be diligent signing guys to big money, be ALL business when it come to the business side.  THat's the way NFL works.  Every team does Eng...

Oh so this happened before Gronk and Hern and Mayo and Brady resigned huh? Your examples prior to this event happening with Wilfork and Mankins. And why would it affect Revis he still got paid the highest for a CB in the league? What it could affect is the rooks getting ready to resign in the future like McCourty and Solder. They've now seen how the Pats handled Welker, Wilfork, and Mankins that could affect how our current rooks deal with contract negotiations in the future can't it?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I'm guessing that BB has a plan and if he doesn't I'm sure Lombardi does since he apparently is perceived to be the brains that BB is perceived to have lacked.

No. BB the coach is calling the shots well regarding the outgoing. His area which needed help was the incoming.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to HelmetofLeather's comment:

He asked for what the Pats should do anyway? Make it so, depending on the timing vs bonuses of course.

Looks like the to be 34 yo fat guy coming off a nasty injury is living in a dream world.

Who are you with these reasonable comments ????

Reasonable is my middle name.

So Un is your 1st  ;-)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Thunderdome!!...........VW must have a deal in the weeds

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

Would Vince ask for his release without an offer from another team in hand? Of course not. Stands to reason that offer is better than what the Pats offered or he would not ask to be released. 

Or he could just know he will be cut because he won't restructure.  If he wants to try and get more money from another team he needs to be a FA as soon as possible.

How's it feel to need Vince? The Pats need a restructure and he isn't helping them with their need.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to GrantW's comment:

@AlbertBreer 1m

Big news RT @RapSheet #Patriots DT Vince Wilfork has asked that the team release him after 10 seasons in New England, according to sources.

Yaaaaaaaawnnnnn........I still don't know why this took so long. C-ya Vince. We love ya. Thanks for all the great years. May sound harsh, but in a multi-billion dollar industry where winning is the objective, there's no time to be sentimental or loyal to a rapidly depreciating asset when its obese, 33-yrs old, and trying to recover from a severe leg injury........NEXT MAN UP!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Would Vince ask for his release without an offer from another team in hand? Of course not. Stands to reason that offer is better than what the Pats offered or he would not ask to be released. 

Or he could just know he will be cut because he won't restructure.  If he wants to try and get more money from another team he needs to be a FA as soon as possible.

How's it feel to need Vince? The Pats need a restructure and he isn't helping them with their need.

Yes, but there are 2 sides to every story. I think Eng layed it out pretty well. The fuel on the fire was the revis contract. Can you imagine the conversation between bb and vw? Hey Vince, we just paid revis 12m, can we restructure your contract so we can have some more cap room? 

That doesn't sit well I am sure with vw. However, being the crafty one bb is, maybe he knew the outcome before he asked...meaning how could he not know this would upset some players, especially ones he is negotiating with. Maybe the outcome was intended, so they could trade him, or release him and not look like the bad guys. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Yes, but there are 2 sides to every story. I think Eng layed it out pretty well. The fuel on the fire was the revis contract. Can you imagine the conversation between bb and vw? Hey Vince, we just paid revis 12m, can we restructure your contract so we can have some more cap room? 

That doesn't sit well I am sure with vw. However, being the crafty one bb is, maybe he knew the outcome before he asked...meaning how could he not know this would upset some players, especially ones he is negotiating with. Maybe the outcome was intended, so they could trade him, or release him and not look like the bad guys. 

I don't know why this took so long. C-ya Vince. We love ya. Thanks for all the great years. May sound harsh, but in a multi-billion dollar industry where winning is the objective, there's no time to be sentimental or loyal to a rapidly depreciating asset when its obese, 33-yrs old, and trying to recover from a severe leg injury........NEXT MAN UP!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

I would think they'd release him if he's not open to restructuring and bring in someone else while there is someone else available.

Here is a time when they need to move fast.  Can't wait on this otherwise the run defense will be a sieve again.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

@AlbertBreer 1m

Big news RT @RapSheet #Patriots DT Vince Wilfork has asked that the team release him after 10 seasons in New England, according to sources.

Yaaaaaaaawnnnnn........I still don't know why this took so long. C-ya Vince. We love ya. Thanks for all the great years. In a multi-billion dollar industry, no time to be sentimental or loyal to a rapidly depreciating asset when its obese, 33-yrs old, and trying to recover from a severe leg injury........NEXT MAN UP!!!

Exactly!  Some of these guys think the Pats should throw millions of dollars around to reward loyalty.  In any other industry unless you are an executive with a Golden Parachute, you might be lucky to get a couple weeks severance pay and whatever money you might have in your 401K. 

I liked Vince but if he wants to leave for whatever reason.  Best of luck to him but I'm not going to feel sorry for him if he feels slighted. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to NCPatsFan1971's comment:

In response to RallyC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

@AlbertBreer 1m

Yaaaaaaaawnnnnn........I still don't know why this took so long. C-ya Vince. We love ya. Thanks for all the great years. In a multi-billion dollar industry, no time to be sentimental or loyal to a rapidly depreciating asset when its obese, 33-yrs old, and trying to recover from a severe leg injury........NEXT MAN UP!!!

Exactly!  Some of these guys think the Pats should throw millions of dollars around to reward loyalty.  In any other industry unless you are an executive with a Golden Parachute, you might be lucky to get a couple weeks severance pay and whatever money you might have in your 401K. 

I liked Vince but if he wants to leave for whatever reason.  Best of luck to him but I'm not going to feel sorry for him if he feels slighted. 

You know it! Vince made his millions, established great fame, fortune, and won his trophies......"slighted", ha! NEXT!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

why the wait so long on asking to leave?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Sorry for this mini rant, but anyone who questioned this guy's heart and/or loyalty simply hasn't been watching him play for the past decade.  He was the epitome of hard work and, in many ways, the very representation of blue collar workers throughout NE.

He got hurt playing this game, playing it hard and fair.  That was among the most devastating of injuries a player could have, and he took the whole affair with as much grace and dignity as any player who ever played in this league.  He traveled with this team through the season and into Denver, battled a tough marriage, raised children, and made a public spectacle of Mark Sanchez on national TV.  

Meanwhile, the same folks who are accusing him of being "weak" or "slow to recover" have already starting hanging another banner because they think Revis is enough.  It's not.  Not even close.

There is no player on this current Pats' roster that can get, much less handle, a triple team on the line.  Not one.  And for that matter, name five other guys in this league who can handle being doubled on every, single snap they ever played in this league.  You can't.  Because there aren't five guys out there right now who get doubled or tripled on the line.  Wanna know why some of these guys had artificially inflated sack numbers? Because of Wilfork's drawing the double or triple team.

End rant.  But seriously, how can anyone out there accuse Wilfork of being disloyal, weak, or a detriment to this team?  Get over yourselves.  Maybe you aren't old enough to remember what this team used to be in the 70s, 80s and 90s.  Just another "What have you done for me lately" mentality.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Wow.  Loyalty out the door, huh?  He still wants his money, I guess.

a pats fan seeking loyalty from players of a team that doesn't demonstrate it themselves? 

I am looking for a word to describe this.  Can anyone help me?

Sure, Colts. Lol you fool go away.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I don't see how any of his current players can whine. Revis just took a 50% pay cut.

Will Vince or anybody else do the same thing?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

I don't see how any of his current players can whine. Revis just took a 50% pay cut.

Absolutely correct. It is a great time to move on. Next Man UP.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to soups' comment:

Sorry for this mini rant, but anyone who questioned this guy's heart and/or loyalty simply hasn't been watching him play for the past decade.  He was the epitome of hard work and, in many ways, the very representation of blue collar workers throughout NE.

He got hurt playing this game, playing it hard and fair.  That was among the most devastating of injuries a player could have, and he took the whole affair with as much grace and dignity as any player who ever played in this league.  He traveled with this team through the season and into Denver, battled a tough marriage, raised children, and made a public spectacle of Mark Sanchez on national TV.  

Meanwhile, the same folks who are accusing him of being "weak" or "slow to recover" have already starting hanging another banner because they think Revis is enough.  It's not.  Not even close.

There is no player on this current Pats' roster that can get, much less handle, a triple team on the line.  Not one.  And for that matter, name five other guys in this league who can handle being doubled on every, single snap they ever played in this league.  You can't.  Because there aren't five guys out there right now who get doubled or tripled on the line.  Wanna know why some of these guys had artificially inflated sack numbers? Because of Wilfork's drawing the double or triple team.

End rant.  But seriously, how can anyone out there accuse Wilfork of being disloyal, weak, or a detriment to this team?  Get over yourselves.  Maybe you aren't old enough to remember what this team used to be in the 70s, 80s and 90s.  Just another "What have you done for me lately" mentality.

Soup it's not so much that it's this "next man up" mentality that people think anyone is replacable, which they aren't. I mean we have people comparing Siliga to players like Bryant and even Wilfork. People around here fall in love with a couple of games of performance and suddenly even UDFA's are probowlers in their mind. Never mind the reality of the Seahawks, a team much better at finding DL than we are, cut Siliga before he even came here. This is what our fans do and what's so annoying. They block out of their minds that we spent years upon years trying to replace receivers, LB's, DE's, and CB's unsuccessfully with these very same types of UDFA's and JAGs no other team wants. They did it with Underwood, they did it with Thompkins after a couple games, they did it with Jones and Vellano saying who needs Wilfork and Kelly. They fall in love in the first couple of games and think there is always a next man, yet the numbers never play out that way

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

This is tampering, and is a BIG no-no.  Not slap-on-the-wrist fines, but loss of draft picks stuff.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

I actually think Vince will suprise everyone and have 3 more pro bowl level years as unlikely as that is because of his  age and injury BUT...

Think they need to get someone in the draft to do that job and sign Siliga. That position is one where you CAN get production first year. Also can platoon with Jones and try to replace top talent with energy and endurance at least in that position. Get a really good pressure DT or DE through FAor some other way and I think thye will be fine.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Revis got cut from his team so how was that a pay cut considering we have no clue how much he would have made on the market? Not to mention he's making $12mil this year how is that 50% of 16mil?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

He got hurt playing this game, playing it hard and fair.  That was among the most devastating of injuries a player could have, and he took the whole affair with as much grace and dignity as any player who ever played in this league.

Ahhh, what else could he have done; sue BB?

You act as if they cut him 30 seconds after his injury. He got paid big bucks for a year of only playing 4 games. He has NOTHING whatsoever to gripe about.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

Oh, I remember the 70's, and 80's.  I also remember when John Hanna and Leon Grey boycotted the team over $100,000 or something like that.  I don't think $100,000 translates into $7,000,000 in today's money.  But regardless, I'm not slamming Vince in any way.  He played great for the Pats and the Pats have paid him extremely well.   He won't restructure his contract so he's leaving.  That's the end of it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Dear Vince,

We like you and respect you. We appreciate that you have kept your nose clean and have been a model citizen and family man. We are glad you have always been a Patriot and have appreciated your great play and paid you well for it.

Nothing lasts forever. You have come to the last leg of your journey. You are not a young elite bull in the trenches anymore. This is up to you. Stick with us and we'll stick with you. But if you think we're more loyal to you, you must be informed that, despite the appreciation we have you will never come before our loyalty to the New England Patriots.

Now stop this anal foolishness born of misplaced pride. Restructure, make some more bucks and see if you can still help us win football games. Go out like a champ who belongs somewhere, or cry like a fool in denial. The choice is yours.

Sincerely,

The fans

+1 - You know who REALLY pays his salary, right?  It certainly isn't the generosity of the Kraft family and BB!

Sections
Shortcuts