Wilfork asks for Release from Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Re: Wilfork asks for Release from Pats

In response to UD6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wow.  Loyalty out the door, huh?  He still wants his money, I guess.

[/QUOTE]

a pats fan seeking loyalty from players of a team that doesn't demonstrate it themselves? 

I am looking for a word to describe this.  Can anyone help me?

[/QUOTE]

Manning

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Would Vince ask for his release without an offer from another team in hand? Of course not. Stands to reason that offer is better than what the Pats offered or he would not ask to be released. 

This is tampering, and is a BIG no-no.  Not slap-on-the-wrist fines, but loss of draft picks stuff.

[/QUOTE]

I think he is going for a 1 year prove it to the league contract. With the outrageous FA contracts going on right now I think he going for one more payday and knows he won't get it with the PAts...quite the opposite actually.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to GrantW's comment:

@AlbertBreer 1m

Big news RT @RapSheet #Patriots DT Vince Wilfork has asked that the team release him after 10 seasons in New England, according to sources.

Yaaaaaaaawnnnnn........I still don't know why this took so long. C-ya Vince. We love ya. Thanks for all the great years. May sound harsh, but in a multi-billion dollar industry where winning is the objective, there's no time to be sentimental or loyal to a rapidly depreciating asset when its obese, 33-yrs old, and trying to recover from a severe leg injury........NEXT MAN UP!!!

[/QUOTE]

10-4 Chief!  RALLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I bet he weighs more than he did when  he got hurt...I'd love to get a gander of what he looks like...the team obviously knows his weight and condition.....

No way a guy his size and age with that injury demands 7.5 salary this year and carries a 10 million cap hit...no way...of course, we don't know what he was offered in the way of renegotiations, but knowing the Pats it was most likely hideously one sided...lol...but, I agree with ya man...C YA Vince, come back on VW day and when we put you in the Pats HOF... :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't see how any of his current players can whine. Revis just took a 50% pay cut.

Will Vince or anybody else do the same thing?

[/QUOTE]

Revis got cut from his team so how was that a pay cut considering we have no clue how much he would have made on the market? Not to mention he's making $12mil this year how is that 50% of 16mil?

[/QUOTE]

He's not making 12 mil this year.

He made 16 mil last year, and will make half that this year. That's a pay cut. I didn't say it was voluntary.

Vince can play it any way he likes. Either way, he is taking a pay cut. It would behoove him to take the cut graciously and remain a beloved Pat for life.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Dear Vince,

We like you and respect you. We appreciate that you have kept your nose clean and have been a model citizen and family man. We are glad you have always been a Patriot and have appreciated your great play and paid you well for it.

Nothing lasts forever. You have come to the last leg of your journey. You are not a young elite bull in the trenches anymore. This is up to you. Stick with us and we'll stick with you. But if you think we're more loyal to you, you must be informed that, despite the appreciation we have you will never come before our loyalty to the New England Patriots.

Now stop this anal foolishness born of misplaced pride. Restructure, make some more bucks and see if you can still help us win football games. Go out like a champ who belongs somewhere, or cry like a fool in denial. The choice is yours.

Sincerely,

The fans

[/QUOTE]

+1 - You know who REALLY pays his salary, right?  It certainly isn't the generosity of the Kraft family and BB!

[/QUOTE]

Us, the little guys!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

I don't see how any of his current players can whine. Revis just took a 50% pay cut.

Revis got cut from his team so how was that a pay cut considering we have no clue how much he would have made on the market? Not to mention he's making $12mil this year how is that 50% of 16mil?

He made 16 mil last year, and will make half that this year. That's a pay cut. I didn't say it was voluntary.

Vince can play it any way he likes. Either way, he is taking a pay cut. It would behoove him to take the cut graciously and remain a beloved Pat for life.

[/QUOTE]

Babe look at his contract. You know that the Pats won't keep him at a $25mil cap hit next season so for all intensive purposes this is a 1 year deal they might using as a starting point for an extension. in that he got $12mil in 2014 in which the bonus is split between 2 years reducing his cap hit to $7.5mil however, they have an option next year for $20mil. So he is making $12mil but they worded it in a way that it is a smaller cap hit in which it's $5mil in dead money next year or a $25mil cap hit, which you know as well as any they won't take. Here's a good article that explains it. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000333649/article/darrelle-revis-patriots-agree-to-oneyear-contract

Btw if they do keep him next year then He would make a total of $32.5mil on his contract which is actually $500k more than with the Bucs. So he either gets $12mil for 1 year or $32.5mil over two so yeah no matter how you cut it not a 50% pay cut.

Oh yeah he got cut from the Bucs because he wouldn't take the pay cut and they didn't want to pay him $16mil and give the Jets a 3rd instead of a 4th round pick

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Babe look at his contract. You know that the Pats won't keep him at a $25mil cap hit next season so for all intensive purposes this is a 1 year deal they might using as a starting point for an extension. in that he got $12mil in 2014 in which the bonus is split between 2 years reducing his cap hit to $7.5mil however, they have an option next year for $20mil. So he is making $12mil but they worded it in a way that it is a smaller cap hit in which it's $5mil in dead money next year or a $25mil cap hit, which you know as well as any they won't take. Here's a good article that explains it. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000333649/article/darrelle-revis-patriots-agree-to-oneyear-contract

Btw if they do keep him next year then He would make a total of $32.5mil on his contract which is actually $500k more than with the Bucs. So he either gets $12mil for 1 year or $32.5mil over two so yeah no matter how you cut it not a 50% pay cut.

[/QUOTE]

Of course they aren't going to keep him at the super bloated second year.

But the money they will owe for next year will be factored in to a new deal if they strike one with him.

So his pay cut may be 25% or 50%, but it's still a pay cut. And for 2014 it's a 50% pay cut until we resolve the question mark second year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Of course they aren't going to keep him at the super bloated second year.

But the money they will owe for next year will be factored in to a new deal if they strike one with him.

So his pay cut may be 25% or 50%, but it's still a pay cut. And for 2014 it's a 50% pay cut until we resolve the question mark second year.

[/QUOTE]

Babe he gets $12mil this year regardless if they sign him to an extension or not. He got paid $12mil for 2014 no matter what happens.

And he didn't take a paycut he was released by his former team and signed with a new team. You make it sound like it was his choice and he out of the kindness of his heart took money off the table, which he didn't. Once he got cut he was making zero. Unless you show proof another team was going to give him $16mil to play this year he did not take a pay cut. That's like you getting fired from your job and finding another one that paid you less and someone saying you took a pay cut to join the new company. That's not how it worked, you got fired and had to take a cut in pay, you didn't have a choice.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Bottom line for Vince:

Kick and scream and throw a tantrum. You're not getting the money without doing a reasonable restructure.

We will cut you when it benefits us most. You will keep guaranteed money and get something more from a new team - short-term. In the end you will make less than if you restructure and will burn bridges that could well mean even more money down the line.

But, it's a free country. Be stupid all you like.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Who says Wilfork isn't willing to restructure? Whe have no clue what the negotiations were. As far as we know the Pats said they wanted to cut his base to vet min and he is only willing to cut it half way. We have no clue how much they asked to restructure and without that it's hard to say how 'greedy' Wilfork is being vs if the Pats are being unreasonable. But, of course fans jump to conclusions immediately and attack the player forgetting how hard that player had to fight for that contract to begin with.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Did they show him loyality when they hard balled him for his contract? As I said BB burnt his negotiation bridges the way he hard nosed his approach to signing them. If you make them fight for every single last dime, why do you expect them to freely give them up?

[/QUOTE]

What's happened to you?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

a pats fan seeking loyalty from players of a team that doesn't demonstrate it themselves? 

[/QUOTE]

Et tu UD? - I have 2 words for you - Peyton Manning - how much loyalty did your beloved Colts show him?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

trade him to Oakland for a first rounder.......maybe he can rent Seymour apartment.........I am numb to these transactions since Parcells drove down Route 1 with Martin in the back seat........Milloy , Samuel , Seymour Vrabel , Adam ......I could keep going .....trade him and get value.........Next Topic...........

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I thought VW would restructure as I dont think he will get much more then the 8 million we owe him coming off a possible career ending agent(he must have Welkers agent) But how can anyone blame him for wantimg 1 last payday ? This guy was an all time great Patriot, with that being said cut him now, which gives us the cap money andmallows him the chance to get his deal in FA.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to quinzpatsfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It's funny that the two players who BB fought hard with over contracts and stayed on the team won't restructure a dime. This is the price you pay for using hard nose tactics simply put. Makes you wonder if this is going to affect current players coming off their rook deals moving forward watching this happen.

[/QUOTE]

Didn't stop Revis from signing, didn't stop brady from coming back every year, didn't stop Gronk or Hernz, didn't stop Mayo, almost stop mankins but didn't, didn't stop talib from coming back last year.  Honestly I don't know but I suspect the Pats are pretty much like very other team in NFL except a few.  Build through draft, be diligent signing guys to big money, be ALL business when it come to the business side.  THat's the way NFL works.  Every team does Eng...

[/QUOTE]

Oh so this happened before Gronk and Hern and Mayo and Brady resigned huh? Your examples prior to this event happening with Wilfork and Mankins. And why would it affect Revis he still got paid the highest for a CB in the league? What it could affect is the rooks getting ready to resign in the future like McCourty and Solder. They've now seen how the Pats handled Welker, Wilfork, and Mankins that could affect how our current rooks deal with contract negotiations in the future can't it?

[/QUOTE]

What happened to you? 

Omg, is pats eng Wes Welker????? He is really mad at Bill Belichick,  now he hates how BB negotiated Wilforks deal to make him the highest paid NT in the league?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to soups' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sorry for this mini rant, but anyone who questioned this guy's heart and/or loyalty simply hasn't been watching him play for the past decade.  He was the epitome of hard work and, in many ways, the very representation of blue collar workers throughout NE.

He got hurt playing this game, playing it hard and fair.  That was among the most devastating of injuries a player could have, and he took the whole affair with as much grace and dignity as any player who ever played in this league.  He traveled with this team through the season and into Denver, battled a tough marriage, raised children, and made a public spectacle of Mark Sanchez on national TV.  

Meanwhile, the same folks who are accusing him of being "weak" or "slow to recover" have already starting hanging another banner because they think Revis is enough.  It's not.  Not even close.

There is no player on this current Pats' roster that can get, much less handle, a triple team on the line.  Not one.  And for that matter, name five other guys in this league who can handle being doubled on every, single snap they ever played in this league.  You can't.  Because there aren't five guys out there right now who get doubled or tripled on the line.  Wanna know why some of these guys had artificially inflated sack numbers? Because of Wilfork's drawing the double or triple team.

End rant.  But seriously, how can anyone out there accuse Wilfork of being disloyal, weak, or a detriment to this team?  Get over yourselves.  Maybe you aren't old enough to remember what this team used to be in the 70s, 80s and 90s.  Just another "What have you done for me lately" mentality.

[/QUOTE]

Great post, I agree.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

I don't remember Vince up in arms when my union asked us to take a cut in our long earned bennies so sorry my brotha...............

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

What happened to you? 

Omg, is pats eng Wes Welker????? He is really mad at Bill Belichick,  now he hates how BB negotiated Wilforks deal to make him the highest paid NT in the league?

I root for what's best for the team not BB because eventually BB will be gone but the team still will be here. I think BB's hard nose tactics with contracts is one of the reasons this is happening and I think it has long term effects on future contract negotiations with our younger players. I know it's weird to think I wouldn't want anything bad to happen to the team. 

Btw I said this back when they negotiated the contract with both him and Mankins that I thought they handled it poorly so I thought this 4 years ago it's not something new and you are more than welcome to look it up. Making a player fight for every single penny is good short term but has long term consequences.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What happened to you? 

[/QUOTE]

I root for what's best for the team not BB because eventually BB will be gone but the team still will be here. I think BB's hard nose tactics with contracts is one of the reasons this is happening and I think it has long term effects on future contract negotiations with our younger players. I know it's weird to think I wouldn't want anything bad to happen to the team. 

Btw I said this back when they negotiated the contract with both him and Mankins that I thought they handled it poorly so I thought this 4 years ago it's not something new and you are more than welcome to look it up. Making a player fight for every single penny is good short term but has long term consequences.

[/QUOTE]

Lately you don't root for anything all you do is slam each and every personnel decision like it was your job.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

[QUOTE]

But they have seemingly moved on from the restructure at this point. Why would he want his release unless he wants an extension?

[/QUOTE]

He wants his release because he doesn't want to restructure his contract in any way.  He assumes this means the Patriots will cut him.  He wants it to be done sooner so that he can maximize the value of a potential new contract.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  Can't blame him.  He has a signed deal with the Pats that they don't want to honor.  He's under no obligation to give the Pats a different deal than the one both agreed to.  If the Pats don't want to honour the deal, they have the right to terminate the deal.  He's just asking for the Pats to do that quickly if that's their choice so he has the best chance to find the best alternarive employer.  Again, can't blame the guy. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Lately you don't root for anything all you do is slam each and every personnel decision like it was your job.

No that's what you see but it's not reality. I liked the Revis move, I liked they moved on from Talib, I liked Collins drafting, I actually like Kelly when I thought they might draft another young DT last year and use him in a rotation (With his age I didn't think he could be a full time starter). The moves I haven't liked are ones that have hurt the team. I didn't like swapping Amendola for Welker, I didn't like not drafting a young igh talented DT in the draft for the last 3 years, I didn't like A. Wilson because of what I say from when his last games in Ari and I don't like taking high risk guys as starters for low cash.

Just because I don't praise every move doesn't mean I don't like some and have said such to you multiple times! But, you only see what you want and assume what I said. Notice you haven't been able to find a single case where what you thought I said was actually what I actually said, not one. Just because I don't like moves that I see could hurt the team doesn't mean I don't like every move get over that. You are so blind in your faith you see a single negative and assume everything is an attack. Well you know what they say about assuming

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Dear Vince,

We like you and respect you. We appreciate that you have kept your nose clean and have been a model citizen and family man. We are glad you have always been a Patriot and have appreciated your great play and paid you well for it.

Nothing lasts forever. You have come to the last leg of your journey. You are not a young elite bull in the trenches anymore. This is up to you. Stick with us and we'll stick with you. But if you think we're more loyal to you, you must be informed that, despite the appreciation we have you will never come before our loyalty to the New England Patriots.

Now stop this anal foolishness born of misplaced pride. Restructure, make some more bucks and see if you can still help us win football games. Go out like a champ who belongs somewhere, or cry like a fool in denial. The choice is yours.

Sincerely,

The fans

[/QUOTE]

+1 - You know who REALLY pays his salary, right?  It certainly isn't the generosity of the Kraft family and BB!

[/QUOTE]

Us, the little guys!

[/QUOTE]

Exactly Babe! 

I can not honestly say that I don't have a little envy over what these guys get paid.  But yes, each and every one of us help pay these hefty salaries.  While millions of people live financially day to day, hearing players imply that they're being disrespected when only offered 7 Million Dollars or 3 Million Dollars or 1 Million Dollars per season to play a game that they would probably play for nothing is begining to grate on me a bit. 

But for the Team Owners, "It's a Business" and for the Players "It's a Business".   That's a cold way to look at it but "It is what it is".   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

The guy is never going to get a big deal coming off that injury.  And didn;t the Patriots pay him well this year despite him sitting out the year?

Just release him

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to NEGAME2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's listening to his wife--she's giving him bad advice.  He did this before and it worked, won't happen this time.  Maybe the Broncos will pick him up.

[/QUOTE]

You wouldn't be the first person to point out his wife calls the shots.

[/QUOTE]

That seems to consensus in my circle at work. 

[/QUOTE]

Seems to be pretty well known. Interesting the media doesn't touch the subject.

[/QUOTE]

And here I was thinking that their fun till their sister gets killed by that house.  Who'd known?  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Manning

[/QUOTE]

Nice job Mel.