Wilfork asks for Release from Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Wilfork asks for Release from Pats

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

I see. So he didn't show any "loyalty" whatsoever. He simply wasn't a jerk. I applaud that. He didn't go to free agency because he got paid BIG right here. It remains a huge if that he would have gotten more elsewhere. He got paid the market rate for his position.

You're supposed to work like a mule and attend charity events. That's what being a part of a team is. I did charity work for my company on a number of occasions and worked like a mule as well. I didn't consider that being loyal. I simply considered it being a good corporate citizen, and I certainly didn't expect them to not lay me off if they didn't need me because of that.

So if your company asks you to give up your weekend for a charity you don't think that's a show of loyality as opposed to another person in your company who didn't? So if you and a coworker who both did the same work and same quality of work were both on the block and you attended all these events and the other didn't and the other person bad mouthed the company while you did nothing but speak good things about them and the company lays you off over them you wouldn't feel betrayed?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

No PatsEng. I didn't make it sound like anything. I simply said he got a pay cut. And I'm relating that to the reality that Wilfork IS going to get a pay cut. Vince can either do it the easy way or the hard way.

If it were me I wouldn't even offer Vince a restructure. I would cut both him and Mankins at the first opportunity that was wise regarding guaranteed money. Don't want either of them for what they get paid, and would not have ever given them the big bucks BB gave them.

You're exact quote "I don't see how any of his current players can whine. Revis just took a 50% pay cut.

Will Vince or anybody else do the same thing?"

Revis took a 50% paycut will Wilfork or anyone else do the same. You don't see how that makes it sound like Revis took a pay cut intentionally and you don't see Vince doing the same as in taking a 50% paycut?

You're taking it out of context PatsEng.

That statement addresses how the other Pats players should feel because Revis got a big contract to come to their team.

If Revis is being signed at a steep discount how can Pats players justifiably gripe (whether the cut is intentional or not)?

Should a team not sign an outstanding talent for relatively less because it might rankle somebody else who wants more? Would they have rankled if we signed Talib for the same money?

The question about whether they would take such a big pay cut is rhetorical and meant to address their indignation and if they think such a cut is no big deal would they take it. It was not to imply that Revis did it voluntarily.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In response to pcmIV's comment:

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

But they have seemingly moved on from the restructure at this point. Why would he want his release unless he wants an extension?

He wants his release because he doesn't want to restructure his contract in any way.  He assumes this means the Patriots will cut him.  He wants it to be done sooner so that he can maximize the value of a potential new contract.

Exactly.  Can't blame him.  He has a signed deal with the Pats that they don't want to honor.  He's under no obligation to give the Pats a different deal than the one both agreed to.  If the Pats don't want to honour the deal, they have the right to terminate the deal.  He's just asking for the Pats to do that quickly if that's their choice so he has the best chance to find the best alternarive employer.  Again, can't blame the guy. 

What is this "honor the deal" nonsense? The "deal" allows them to cut him whenever they damned well please. He agreed to that. Now HE wants to "not honor the deal" by dictating to them when to cut him? See how silly even bringing that terminology into the discussion is?

I don't blame him. Ask away. Beg even. But they may have good reason to delay cutting him. TFB for Vince. I don't see him giving any millions back for the 12 games he missed last year.

Their only reason to delay cutting him if they aren't going to pay him is to put pressure on him to relent and restructure . . . or just to be plain old jerks.   It's hardball and they have the right to do it, but it's still an arzzhole thing to do. 

Patriots are jerks, they're so mean, trying to run a succesful business and all ughh they make me so mad! Yell They should just pay vince whatever he wants! Know what I mean...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I understand it is owed for playing in 2014. I'm saying it can be negotiated into an extention. For example the Pats could offer a two year deal at 12 mil per and be willing to extend that to 3 years if the 5 mil is compensated for to whatever degree in the extra time.

At this point we're just arguing semantics. If ONE MILLION of that 5 owed is accounted for as savings on an extention, then for practical purposes we didn't pay him the whole 5 million.

But fine, I'll say it's 12 mil for 2014 just to depart from that aspect of my point. He still took a pay cut. And so will Vince, because I don't see him making the same money in 2014 even if the Pats cut him on the exact day he desires.

This is what you don't understand none of that is savings. No matter how you extend it you can't take that $5mil away because you already gave it to him. It's the $20mil you can play with but not that $5mil. That $5mil is a constant and can't be changed it can only be spread out over an extension. No matter what happens he gets a $12mil check this year and they can't take any of that back. The semantics is how it's spread on the cap and future caps but that's his to keep till the end of time. If they extend that $5mil is guaranteed even if they extend by the vet min for two years it would still be that vet min base +that $5mil bonus he already got. That's how signing bonuses work, you can't take back a single red cent, so you can't save $1mil in an extension because he already has it in his bank account all you can do is spread it out over the extension but you already paid it regardless. 

All that matters to the Pats is what happens to the cap and when. If that 5 mil is paid later and less guaranteed money is given to absorb that then for all intents and purposes it is not paid for that year.

It's still a matter of finance semantics.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

That statement addresses how the other Pats players should feel because Revis got a big contract to come to their team.

If Revis is being signed at a steep discount how can Pats players justifiably gripe (whether the cut is intentional or not)?

Should a team not sign an outstanding talent for relatively less because it might rankle somebody else who wants more? Would they have rankled if we signed Talib for the same money?

The question about whether they would take such a big pay cut is rhetorical and meant to address their indignation and if they think such a cut is no big deal would they take it. It was not to imply that Revis did it voluntarily.

So any player who signs for less around the league than there previous contract means no player can complain if they are asked to restructure? Come on Babe you know it doesn't work that way. Players get cut and have to take less every year yet player contracts keep going up every year. Doesn't mean a team shouldn't sign someone like that and I'm not saying that in the least all I'm saying is just because 1 player had to do that doesn't mean another player has to too. And what if the Pats want Wilfork to take a 80% cut, again we don't know. Maybe they wanted him to cut his base down to vet min and Wilfork said that's not even a starting negotiation point. 25% we can talk but you made such a silly first offer it's not even worth talking. He might have asked to be cut because the Pats offer was so low he knows he'd get more on the FA market. It's his right to ask for so and it's theirs to either cut, trade, or keep him depending on what they feel. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I see. So he didn't show any "loyalty" whatsoever. He simply wasn't a jerk. I applaud that. He didn't go to free agency because he got paid BIG right here. It remains a huge if that he would have gotten more elsewhere. He got paid the market rate for his position.

You're supposed to work like a mule and attend charity events. That's what being a part of a team is. I did charity work for my company on a number of occasions and worked like a mule as well. I didn't consider that being loyal. I simply considered it being a good corporate citizen, and I certainly didn't expect them to not lay me off if they didn't need me because of that.

So if your company asks you to give up your weekend for a charity you don't think that's a show of loyality as opposed to another person in your company who didn't? So if you and a coworker who both did the same work and same quality of work were both on the block and you attended all these events and the other didn't and the other person bad mouthed the company while you did nothing but speak good things about them and the company lays you off over them you wouldn't feel betrayed?

No, I don't see that stuff as loyalty.

And as far as bad mouthing the company, you're not supposed to do that anyway.

I see being offered another job for more money and turning it down because you have an attachment to your company as loyalty.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

No PatsEng. I didn't make it sound like anything. I simply said he got a pay cut. And I'm relating that to the reality that Wilfork IS going to get a pay cut. Vince can either do it the easy way or the hard way.

If it were me I wouldn't even offer Vince a restructure. I would cut both him and Mankins at the first opportunity that was wise regarding guaranteed money. Don't want either of them for what they get paid, and would not have ever given them the big bucks BB gave them.

You're exact quote "I don't see how any of his current players can whine. Revis just took a 50% pay cut.

Will Vince or anybody else do the same thing?"

Revis took a 50% paycut will Wilfork or anyone else do the same. You don't see how that makes it sound like Revis took a pay cut intentionally and you don't see Vince doing the same as in taking a 50% paycut?

Revis took a 25% pay cut to come here. He was on a plane to Foxboro an hour after his release. Guys want to play for the Patriots, whether the Pats are tough on negotiations or not. 

Revis knows that if he helps win a super bowl in N.E he will be considered the difference, and the payday at the end of that rainbow is wicked huge hey. This is a smart move for both sides and as Curran just reported, the Pats intend to extend Revis but wanted to lock him up until that happens.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

So any player who signs for less around the league than there previous contract means no player can complain if they are asked to restructure? Come on Babe you know it doesn't work that way. Players get cut and have to take less every year yet player contracts keep going up every year. Doesn't mean a team shouldn't sign someone like that and I'm not saying that in the least all I'm saying is just because 1 player had to do that doesn't mean another player has to too. And what if the Pats want Wilfork to take a 80% cut, again we don't know. Maybe they wanted him to cut his base down to vet min and Wilfork said that's not even a starting negotiation point. 25% we can talk but you made such a silly first offer it's not even worth talking. He might have asked to be cut because the Pats offer was so low he knows he'd get more on the FA market. It's his right to ask for so and it's theirs to either cut, trade, or keep him depending on what they feel. 

I don't know what they offered him. I said if he is turning down a REASONABLE restructure he's being a dufus.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I see being offered another job for more money and turning it down because you have an attachment to your company as loyalty.

Seriously Babe if I ever have a company I'm hiring you in a heartbeat. But to be fair and warn you, you'll be salaried and I'll most likely ask you to work every weekend until the company makes a profit and once that happens I'm just going to fire you for a cheaper person.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I don't know what they offered him. I said if he is turning down a REASONABLE restructure he's being a dufus.

And that's what I said at the very start of this is until we know you can't go off on Wilfork and call him greedy or anything else. If it was reasonable then I completely agree Wilforks being a jerk but who knows if it was reasonable or not, everyone is just assuming it. And I also feel if it was low maybe if they didn't hard ball him in his contract negotiations maybe instead of just laughing and walking away maybe he'd sit down and talk a bit before hand. But can you really blame the guy for how hard he had to fight to get that contract the first time if he just walked away if they low balled him from the beginning?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

[/QUOTE]

Seriously Babe if I ever have a company I'm hiring you in a heartbeat. But to be fair and warn you, you'll be salaried and I'll most likely ask you to work every weekend until the company makes a profit and once that happens I'm just going to fire you for a cheaper person.

[/QUOTE]

Great post. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

Look...he's had a great run and made 32 out of a possible 40 million...he'll never have to work another day in his life if he chooses not to....I can't cry for the guy....we don't even know if he can play for cryin' out loud! Think they might know more than we do?

10 years in today's NFL is one long career...live long and continue to prosper VW...

As Rally C says, NEXT MAN UP!

Plus 20

vw did the pats a huge public relations favor by saying he wants out, pats cannot look bad if they cut him

And if they do, and he then makes less money, it's not the pats fault

The other Thing to question here is, has there been tampering?

i don't know what anybody is talking about , being unfair to Vince, At the time he signed a great contract,  and he made top of the line money,I don't remember anyone saying he signed a bad contract, In fact they chose to sign him than give Seymore his big money, which he wasn't worth

There is no set dollar for each  and every player, It always depends on context. what you think is fair is not what I might think is fair. 

At the same time VW or anybody complains about not getting enough money, he can  only get it by someone else making less, in the era of the hard cap.

This is a business, each side is out to do the best they can for themselves.

As the cap rises, every good player is going to want more money, some will get it coz they are on the right team, others will be jealous and want to move. We all know the the last yr of a big contract or so will almost never be completed.Its the way the teams and the players negotiated the cba

For me , I didn't think he had the value of a ten million $ player, 

His injury is serious,

Again VW gave the Pats a gift

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

In response to pcmIV's comment:

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

But they have seemingly moved on from the restructure at this point. Why would he want his release unless he wants an extension?

He wants his release because he doesn't want to restructure his contract in any way.  He assumes this means the Patriots will cut him.  He wants it to be done sooner so that he can maximize the value of a potential new contract.

Exactly.  Can't blame him.  He has a signed deal with the Pats that they don't want to honor.  He's under no obligation to give the Pats a different deal than the one both agreed to.  If the Pats don't want to honour the deal, they have the right to terminate the deal.  He's just asking for the Pats to do that quickly if that's their choice so he has the best chance to find the best alternarive employer.  Again, can't blame the guy. 

What is this "honor the deal" nonsense? The "deal" allows them to cut him whenever they damned well please. He agreed to that. Now HE wants to "not honor the deal" by dictating to them when to cut him? See how silly even bringing that terminology into the discussion is?

I don't blame him. Ask away. Beg even. But they may have good reason to delay cutting him. TFB for Vince. I don't see him giving any millions back for the 12 games he missed last year.

Their only reason to delay cutting him if they aren't going to pay him is to put pressure on him to relent and restructure . . . or just to be plain old jerks.   It's hardball and they have the right to do it, but it's still an arzzhole thing to do. 

Patriots are jerks, they're so mean, trying to run a succesful business and all ughh they make me so mad! Yell They should just pay vince whatever he wants! Know what I mean...

Actually, they should just cut him if they don't want to pay him.  I don't mind them delaying the decision if they are serious about still trying to keep him and are willing to negotiate in good faith.  But if they gave him a "take it or leave it" offer and he refused, releasing him now would be the stand-up thing to do. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

That is funny. He was probably going to be cut anyhow.

He wasn't/isn't worth the cash they gave him, even if he is one of my favorite players. 

He just isn't disruptive. I'd rather a 'b' space eater, and 'a' pass rusher than vice versa. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

CYA

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

That is funny. He was probably going to be cut anyhow.

He wasn't/isn't worth the cash they gave him, even if he is one of my favorite players. 

He just isn't disruptive. I'd rather a 'b' space eater, and 'a' pass rusher than vice versa. 

I agree. Vince made out like a bandit. I wouldn't have given him that money. But he's a likable guyand has been a good player.

I hope he makes out well in the twilight of his career. But I just don't see him getting all that much as a FA. Certainly not enough more than the Pats would restructure for, to throw away his long association with the team. That has some value to him at this stage.

The problem here is simply that the team has far more pressing needs than an old run stuffer coming off an injury can fill.

Do we want to have a happy happy joy joy halfway house for old players we like, or win SBs?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I think your problem in all this is that you ignore the cap. You somehow apply normal business principles to something that is in no way a normal business.

A team's greatest loyalty should lie with the fans. They pay all the bills. It is the team's obligation to put the very best product out on the field that they can. If that means cutting somebody or offering a restructure, because of the finite cap, then so be it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

I may not agree with Babe on a lot of things, but on this I'm 100 percent on board.  Vince is the one assuming all the risk now.  Vince is a human being, so his marginal utility will decline; the Patriots are an entity that will continue to field an NFL football team.  

Yup, Vince signed a deal that says the team can cut him any time.  He can read.  They offered to EXTEND his time by moving the numbers and retire with them - come on, he barely has 2 years tops, if healthy, left.  

He made a lot of dough, has his rings and a pretty darn good career.  Wish him whatever...but sadly he'll either end up taking less money for another team OR more money on a 1 yr deal from a team that's gonna go all in and shoot itself in the foot. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

This is the bottom line. This has to be the bottom line.

We are not paying players for "loyalty". We are not paying them because they do "charitable" work. We are not paying them because we "like" them.

We are paying them to win football games and championships. End of story.

Vince is 8 mil in cap space. And that type of space can be better spent than on an old run stuffer that is coming off a serious injury. It's just as simple as that. "Loyalty" doesn't have one tiny f'n iota of anything to do with it. Vince will probably get his wish, but when it is best for the team. That may not be the most convenient time for Vince. But I suspect they would do it at as convenient a time as possible, so long as it doesn't interfere with their optimal conditions. And they probably do like Vince, and would like to keep him around for a couple more years. But they clearly have a different view of what his services are worth at this point. If there's any "loyalty" involved; that's it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

In response to mellymel3's comment:

Look...he's had a great run and made 32 out of a possible 40 million...he'll never have to work another day in his life if he chooses not to....I can't cry for the guy....we don't even know if he can play for cryin' out loud! Think they might know more than we do?

10 years in today's NFL is one long career...live long and continue to prosper VW...

As Rally C says, NEXT MAN UP!

Plus 20

vw did the pats a huge public relations favor by saying he wants out, pats cannot look bad if they cut him

And if they do, and he then makes less money, it's not the pats fault

The other Thing to question here is, has there been tampering?

i don't know what anybody is talking about , being unfair to Vince, At the time he signed a great contract,  and he made top of the line money,I don't remember anyone saying he signed a bad contract, In fact they chose to sign him than give Seymore his big money, which he wasn't worth

There is no set dollar for each  and every player, It always depends on context. what you think is fair is not what I might think is fair. 

At the same time VW or anybody complains about not getting enough money, he can  only get it by someone else making less, in the era of the hard cap.

This is a business, each side is out to do the best they can for themselves.

As the cap rises, every good player is going to want more money, some will get it coz they are on the right team, others will be jealous and want to move. We all know the the last yr of a big contract or so will almost never be completed.Its the way the teams and the players negotiated the cba

For me , I didn't think he had the value of a ten million $ player, 

His injury is serious,

Again VW gave the Pats a gift

+1

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Restructuring is part of the business.  Vince knows this and is playing the only real card that he has by asking for his release.  The Pats know exactly what they are doing and if Vince doesn't know what he's doing shame on him.

I do not get this 'loyalty' stuff.  Do the fans on this board want to win or not?  You can't have it both ways. Either loyalty to one player (no matter who it is) is top priority or winning is the top priority.

For me, it's winning and if that means restructuring VW then so be it.  Or cutting him.  Or trading him. Or hiring him as team mascot. 

Do what you need to do BB to continue to do what is best for the team.  End of conversation IMO.,

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclejack02130. Show unclejack02130's posts

Watch the games he played last year and the final games of 2012, Vince has slowed big time and gained a ton of weight, now to be fair he still showed flashes of his former self but the game is changed and as all have said a big immobile run stuffer does not have the same value as a few years ago, he made close to 40 million over the past 10 years....get Allen or Peppers and Rasheed in the draft.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

If BB is any kind of GM, he has already contacted all the other teams ( except the Jets) to see if there is any interest because anything coming back is better than nothing .  If there is none, all you have wasted is time.  Please don't give me the he's old.. Too much money due him and all that other reasons for not trying to get something for a player that some team may have a use for .

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Restructuring is part of the business.  Vince knows this and is playing the only real card that he has by asking for his release.  The Pats know exactly what they are doing and if Vince doesn't know what he's doing shame on him.

I do not get this 'loyalty' stuff.  Do the fans on this board want to win or not?  You can't have it both ways. Either loyalty to one player (no matter who it is) is top priority or winning is the top priority.

For me, it's winning and if that means restructuring VW then so be it.  Or cutting him.  Or trading him. Or hiring him as team mascot. 

Do what you need to do BB to continue to do what is best for the team.  End of conversation IMO.,

I don't understand why it's a bad thing for him to ask for his release. If the Pats want to pay him less, it's certainly in his best interest to be able to shop around the league to see if some team will pay him more than the Pats will.  The CBA gives the teams all the power in this situation because they can walk away from the contract they signed with the player, but the player can't do the same.  I know those are the rules that were agreed to, and so the Pats are under no obligation to release him and can keep him off the market either to try to pressure him into signing their deal or (somewhat vindictively) to make him pay for not signing it. I just don't see how anyone can blame Wilfork for requesting a release in this situation, which is something he has every right to do. He has a deal with the Pats to be paid $8 million next year.  If the Pats don't want to pay it, they have every right to cut Wilfork.  But hanging on him to him to keep him off the market is a hardball negotiating tactic.  Fine to say playing hardball is okay, but then you can't complain when a player like Mankins refuses to sign his tender (also something perfectly in his rights to do).  They are in some way equivalent hardball tactics, though honestly the team has far more power in these situations, so I find the players' attempts to balance out the power dynamic a little less of a hardball tactic than the owners' pressing a big advantage they already have and thereby negatively impacting an individual's future earning potential. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I don't understand why it's a bad thing for him to ask for his release. If the Pats want to pay him less, it's certainly in his best interest to be able to shop around the league to see if some team will pay him more than the Pats will.  The CBA gives the teams all the power in this situation because they can walk away from the contract they signed with the player, but the player can't do the same.  I know those are the rules that were agreed to, and so the Pats are under no obligation to release him and can keep him off the market either to try to pressure him into signing their deal or (somewhat vindictively) to make him pay for not signing it. I just don't see how anyone can blame Wilfork for requesting a release in this situation, which is something he has every right to do. He has a deal with the Pats to be paid $8 million next year.  If the Pats don't want to pay it, they have every right to cut Wilfork.  But hanging on him to him to keep him off the market is a hardball negotiating tactic.  Fine to say playing hardball is okay, but then you can't complain when a player like Mankins refuses to sign his tender (also something perfectly in his rights to do).  They are in some way equivalent hardball tactics, though honestly the team has far more power in these situations, so I find the players' attempts to balance out the power dynamic a little less of a hardball tactic than the owners' pressing a big advantage they already have and thereby negatively impacting an individual's future earning potential. 

Neither side is right... both sides are within their rights.

Sections
Shortcuts