Wilfork asks for Release from Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Wilfork asks for Release from Pats

In response to ATJ's comment:

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

Never mind Canada and the US in all this discussion of systems and attitudes.  Has anyone ever travelled to the poorer places in the world?  If you have, you'll understand where I'm coming from.  In my life, I've been to some places (South America, Russia, amon others)  that would put this whole argument into perspective rather quickly.  We're talking about athletes being paid handsomely to play a game here.  Whatever "mistreatment" they suffer at the hands of the evil NFL owners is still better than trying to make a living in a country where you don't even know where your next day's pay is coming from.  Not to take shots at the Canadians or Americans since I've spent a lot of time in both countries and love both-- but by and large, very few in either country can undersand just how lucky they are to live where they live and just how bad some people in this world have it.  In the grand scheme, Vince Wilfork has a lot to be grateful for and his evil employer generously set up his family for generations no badly how bad this marriage ends.      

I know from whence you speak.  A week in Tunisia working with local police (long before the words Arab Spring were ever strung together) opened my eyes wider than any conceptual discussion ever could.  One simple sentence uttered in passing by the police lieutenant assigned to work with me:  "90% of our people work from sunrise to sunset just to earn enough to eat."

Are contract negotiations between NFL teams and their players bare-knuckle tough?  Absolutely, but that is the business that the players have chosen to be in.  They at least had a choice.

Just because it's worse for people elsewhere doesn't justify treating people here badly.  I have no problem with tough negotiations.  I just think there are limits to how far you should push your advantage over someone when you hold all the cards and your hardball tactics can do significant damange to them. 

Look, I've read your posts and am sure you're a very decent person.  I don't think you'd treat your employees badly.  And I don't think you really believe in putting business over everything.  I actually don't think Kraft is that hardarse either.  But I kind of wonder why so many people are making disparaging comments about Wilfork when all he did is request what's best for him. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

I always liked Vince (what was there not to like?).   But now I wonder if he's like that kid in class that never took notes for the whole semester and now he's surprised that there will be a test on the material that he should have learned.

His entire career has been under the BB regime.  He's seen good/great players come and go.  Has he been paying attention?  The minute he went onto season-ending IR he should have known that his Pats career would undergo a dramatic shift if it continued at all.

I'm sure he's not surprised. Either he figured it out or his agent told him.  I've heard of no whining or complaining from Vince.  My understanding is he meerly asked for the professional courtesy of a release from a contract the team no longer wants to honor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

That's what I am saying. I have the most respect for vw regardless of where he plays. I am simply looking at it from a cost/benefit standpoint. why not pay a kid like nix a fraction of his salary for the same or similar production? 

I agree but look at this thread alone. How many fans who 3 years ago would have laid down in mud if Wilfork asked them to are now calling him greedy, and just average, and not a team player? I mean really, as Triple pointed out in the last week we saw that happen with Talib and last year you saw it with Welker, you saw it with Seymour and Law and Samuel and every other former Pat. Why is it as fans we can't just except it as business and instead have to vilify every player that leaves. I have a strange feeling if Brady didn't want to renegotiate his contract last year we'd have more Rusty's out there.

I'm just tired of fans instantly jumping on players without knowing the situation. I also don't like fans can't see how these types of actions can hurt a team in the eyes of younger players. If it's business everyone can understand that but when a lifelong loyal player gets dragged through the mud then how does that look in the eyes of younger players?

I agree with you on this. "Fans" on this board dump on players as soon as they leave all of the time. Players that brought us years of enjoyment!

Then again, how you feel about these fans dumping on players is how we feel about you dumping on the guy who brought you the best record in football for 14 years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Bottom line is that the Pats paid them very well and that is not something they readily do (nor should do). But that makes the Pats bad guys because they didn't beg them to take all that money?

For what he's done for this team, the Pats have severely underpaid him since they drafted him; and in the past couple years, have leaned on him more and more until his body finally broke this past year.  And then said "hey, you're injured, we don't want to pay you anymore" when it was BB's decision to play him for 85-90% of snaps for years on end (which is an INSANE workload for a NT) is what got him injured.

Woah, woah, woah. He made 32 million dollars in 4 years. He was the highest paid NT in NFL history and what got him injured is 11 straight years of NFL football at 375 pounds.

If he is under paid what is the precedent your basing it on? Nobody has been paid more.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Never mind Canada and the US in all this discussion of systems and attitudes.  Has anyone ever travelled to the poorer places in the world?  If you have, you'll understand where I'm coming from.  In my life, I've been to some places (South America, Russia, amon others)  that would put this whole argument into perspective rather quickly.  We're talking about athletes being paid handsomely to play a game here.  Whatever "mistreatment" they suffer at the hands of the evil NFL owners is still better than trying to make a living in a country where you don't even know where your next day's pay is coming from.  Not to take shots at the Canadians or Americans since I've spent a lot of time in both countries and love both-- but by and large, very few in either country can undersand just how lucky they are to live where they live and just how bad some people in this world have it.  In the grand scheme, Vince Wilfork has a lot to be grateful for and his evil employer generously set up his family for generations no badly how bad this marriage ends.      

I know from whence you speak.  A week in Tunisia working with local police (long before the words Arab Spring were ever strung together) opened my eyes wider than any conceptual discussion ever could.  One simple sentence uttered in passing by the police lieutenant assigned to work with me:  "90% of our people work from sunrise to sunset just to earn enough to eat."

Are contract negotiations between NFL teams and their players bare-knuckle tough?  Absolutely, but that is the business that the players have chosen to be in.  They at least had a choice.

Just because it's worse for people elsewhere doesn't justify treating people here badly.  I have no problem with tough negotiations.  I just think there are limits to how far you should push your advantage over someone when you hold all the cards and your hardball tactics can do significant damange to them. 

Look, I've read your posts and am sure you're a very decent person.  I don't think you'd treat your employees badly.  And I don't think you really believe in putting business over everything.  I actually don't think Kraft is that hardarse either.  But I kind of wonder why so many people are making disparaging comments about Wilfork when all he did is request what's best for him. 

I can't even begin...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Why is this so hard to understand???

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Bottom line is that the Pats paid them very well and that is not something they readily do (nor should do). But that makes the Pats bad guys because they didn't beg them to take all that money?

For what he's done for this team, the Pats have severely underpaid him since they drafted him; and in the past couple years, have leaned on him more and more until his body finally broke this past year.  And then said "hey, you're injured, we don't want to pay you anymore" when it was BB's decision to play him for 85-90% of snaps for years on end (which is an INSANE workload for a NT) is what got him injured.

Woah, woah, woah. He made 32 million dollars in 4 years. He was the highest paid NT in NFL history and what got him injured is 11 straight years of NFL football at 375 pounds.

If he is under paid what is the precedent your basing it on? Nobody has been paid more.

Nose Tackles are 2-down players.  Wilfork has not been a 2 down player since he signed that contract.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Look, I've read your posts and am sure you're a very decent person.  I don't think you'd treat your employees badly.  And I don't think you really believe in putting business over everything.  I actually don't think Kraft is that hardarse either.  But I kind of wonder why so many people are making disparaging comments about Wilfork when all he did is request what's best for him. 

Wow, Pro! ^Spoken like a true Canadian^. See, here in America, we understand what it means to  honor and sacrifice for the bigger cause. Say hi to all of the defectors up there for me.....GOD BLESS AMERICA!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Wil fork was not underpaid, no one said so when he signed the deal

there is no verified report that the Pats were ever heavy handed with him

i have no problem if he wants to leave, but what if the Pats don't want to let him go

Does he st out? Does he not play hard?

i like Vince always will

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

That's what I am saying. I have the most respect for vw regardless of where he plays. I am simply looking at it from a cost/benefit standpoint. why not pay a kid like nix a fraction of his salary for the same or similar production? 

I agree but look at this thread alone. How many fans who 3 years ago would have laid down in mud if Wilfork asked them to are now calling him greedy, and just average, and not a team player? I mean really, as Triple pointed out in the last week we saw that happen with Talib and last year you saw it with Welker, you saw it with Seymour and Law and Samuel and every other former Pat. Why is it as fans we can't just except it as business and instead have to vilify every player that leaves. I have a strange feeling if Brady didn't want to renegotiate his contract last year we'd have more Rusty's out there.

I'm just tired of fans instantly jumping on players without knowing the situation. I also don't like fans can't see how these types of actions can hurt a team in the eyes of younger players. If it's business everyone can understand that but when a lifelong loyal player gets dragged through the mud then how does that look in the eyes of younger players?

I agree with you on this. "Fans" on this board dump on players as soon as they leave all of the time. Players that brought us years of enjoyment!

Then again, how you feel about these fans dumping on players is how we feel about you dumping on the guy who brought you the best record in football for 14 years.

Wow, you, me, and Eng all in agreement!  Nice!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

Look, I've read your posts and am sure you're a very decent person.  I don't think you'd treat your employees badly.  And I don't think you really believe in putting business over everything.  I actually don't think Kraft is that hardarse either.  But I kind of wonder why so many people are making disparaging comments about Wilfork when all he did is request what's best for him. 

Wow, Pro! ^Spoken like a true Canadian^. See, here in America, we understand what it means to  honor and sacrifice for the bigger cause. Say hi to all of the defectors up there for me.....GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Winnipeg was hard on you. Wink

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Nose Tackles are 2-down players.  Wilfork has not been a 2 down player since he signed that contract.

Ohhhhh. Highest paid NT's in NFL history play 60% of the snaps. Come on.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Why would anyone be worried about vinces feelings as it relates to the fans saying stupid idiotic things about him near the end of his road.

That's how moron fans always react about their own teams players in the end, in every sport, in every town. It is what it is. You can't let it bother you.

It was business when the two sides played hard ball with each other to get a deal that made Vince the highest paid interrior lineman at the time and it's business now that they are both leveraging the hands they are holding to the best that they can.

It's the Pats right to ask him to restructure, or take less, to do an extension, or anything they like to ask. It is Vinces right to say yes or no or even ask to be released. It's the Pats right to then say ok or no or maybe, when and if they are good and ready or even to trade him for peanuts. ...and I certainly do not think either side are being jerks to each other.

...and are people really concerned about stories being leaked? I thought everyone understood by now that this is part of how the negotiating and dispute game is played.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Why would anyone be worried about vinces feelings as it relates to the fans saying stupid idiotic things about him near the end of his road.

That's how moron fans always react about their own teams players in the end, in every sport, in every town. It is what it is. You can't let it bother you.

It was business when the two sides played hard ball with each other to get a deal that made Vince the highest paid interrior lineman at the time and it's business now that they are both leveraging the hands they are holding to the best that they can.

It's the Pats right to ask him to restructure, or take less, to do an extension, or anything they like to ask. It is Vinces right to say yes or no or even ask to be released. It's the Pats right to then say ok or no or maybe, when and if they are good and ready or even to trade him for peanuts. ...and I certainly do not think either side are being jerks to each other.

...and are people really concerned about stories being leaked? I thought everyone understood by now that this is part of how the negotiating and dispute game is played.

I like this post. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Thing is I see the consensus understanding this is an acceptable part of the game. I mean VW and Bianca are on vacation right now. They get it. I don't really see anyone dumping on him, although im sure t-cal will be by to tell us he sucked, amd babe will tell us he wasn't worth the money and BB screwed up again,, but who in their right mind listens to 1 word those 2 say?

He'll go down as one of many all time great Patriot players that Bill Belichick brought to be a part of the most dominating run im NFL history. He was getting cut or restructured whether he got hurt or not. It's part of the game we all love. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Thing is I see the consensus understanding this is an acceptable part of the game. I mean VW and Bianca are on vacation right now. They get it. I don't really see anyone dumping on him, although im sure t-cal will be by to tell us he sucked, amd babe will tell us he wasn't worth the money and BB screwed up again,, but who in their right mind listens to 1 word those 2 say?

He'll go down as one of many all time great Patriot players that Bill Belichick brought to be a part of the most dominating run im NFL history. He was getting cut or restructured whether he got hurt or not. It's part of the game we all love. 

Again, I have no problem with the Pats asking for a restructure and cutting him if they can't get a deal done.  That's the way it works.  I just think the fans who think Wilfork is somehow acting out of line or being stupid by requesting a release are grossly unfair. If the Pats don't release him relatively early in the spring free agency period, his chance of getting another deal declines precipitously.  Given that circumstance, asking for a release is a perfectly reasonable thing for him to do, and I would hope the Pats would honour the request as soon as it became clear that a mutually satisfactory agreement was unlikely to be reached. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

How about his first 6 years.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

The first time BB started restructuring rookie contracts he invested 80 million into the future of his offense and neither player played in last years playoffs. Wilfork honored his rookie contract, he didn't hold out, which considering how often this happens in the free agency era, it is commendable. We honored him by making him the highest paid player at his position in the history of the NFL. He saw 7 million over his 25 in guaranteed money from that contract. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Fans are greedy too

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

TC: To me, PatsEng was not nor ever did dump on Belichick, per say. He explained very clearly - many times- that he didn't agree with BBs'  long time approach pertaining to signing FAs'. From what i understand from PatsEng was that he felt that an occasional splash or two for proven players that fit into BB's scheme was needed to get another Lombardi. That was about it as far as I could see.

We now can all see that the forum here is all excited because BB the GM did exactly what PatsEng was wishing for. Laughing

I enjoy your posts, keep up your good work.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

The first time BB started restructuring rookie contracts he invested 80 million into the future of his offense and neither player played in last years playoffs. Wilfork honored his rookie contract, he didn't hold out, which considering how often this happens in the free agency era, it is commendable. We honored him by making him the highest paid player at his position in the history of the NFL. He saw 7 million over his 25 in guaranteed money from that contract. 

So what you are saying is it's comendable when a player honors his contract but ok (JUST BUSINESS) when the team chooses not to honor their end, right?  You have just described exactly why every player ought to use every option they've got to maximize their take.  It's just business.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

The team can let a player go for cost or talent or whatever. So what is the problem with a player having the same rights as the team? If Vinny wants to check out market value instead of renegotiating it is his right. Maybe they will yet have a meeting of the minds but if not I wish him well (except when playing the Pats).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

You just have to be kidding. Stop pulling my leg. Poor Vince. He only got 25 mil guaranteed. sniff sniff.

Guys get old and are dropped from fat contracts in the later years all the time in the NFL. It's understood by both sides. That's why the guaranteed money is the real deal.

This "oh the poor exploited player" hand wringing is nearly unbearable to endure.

You can mock if you want, but by the standards of the NFL, Wilfork was a bargain for every single season he's played for the Pats.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that management should keep him at his current contract; for right now, his cap hit is way too high for what he's able to do.  But I can see Wilfork's point of view also; he has sacrificed a lot for this team; he could likely have made double what he has if he had held out in the last year of his rookie deal and forced the Pats to cut him THEN.  Instead, he played out the full 6 seasons, and then gave them a hometown discount for his one and only payday in the league.

The Pats should cut Wilfork loose if he doesn't want to extend, and the fanbase should have nothing but praise for the man, even at the end.

The Pats should do whatever the hell they want that allows them to put the best product they can on the field for the fans who pay for all this.

As for Wilfork, I don't say he's a bad guy for wanting to be released. I'm defending the team from accusations of being in the wrong because they aren't "loyal", not attacking VW.

But I do think he's a dufus for not accepting a reasonable restructure, mostly because it hurts him. I have zero empathy for these multimillionaire players acting like their pride is hurt because they can't get enough more millions.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I'm still an American. Wink

A mere technicality.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to stegall85's comment:

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

Actually, nothing is just business.  Human beings are still involved and how you treat people may not matter to your wallet but it does to your soul.  

Americans increasingly forget that.  It's one reason why people down there feel so bad about their country. What they don't realize is that it's their own attitudes that cause their discontent. 

[short break from the thread topic to respond to this tangential post]

Prolate, you are, IMO one of the best posters on this board.   However, every once in a while you lapse into this Canada>America treatise that I find laughable.  While the US suffered through a civil war 150 years ago, Oh Canada nearly lost their largest province (Quebec) to a separatist movement a mere 20 years ago.  Quebec's population is roughly equivalent to everything west of the Rockies in the US.   Yeah, folks in Quebec think they've found utopia.

Yeah, I like his football talk, but when he goes into politics/canada stuff he leaves his brain at the door.

Although Canada and America have much in common in terms of systems and values the evolution of the  two countries is much different as are their basic structures. If the US was larger in area but with only 1/10th of the people it would also be much different than it currently is even without any cultural changes.

It's an illusion to say one is better. They're too different to make that direct a comparison, while still being similar enough to become largely integrated.

While I doubt Quebecers would call what they have Utopia, it's certainly a highly functioning society within a society, that has it's own language, culture, ancestry and different legal and political systems from most of the rest of North America. It feels more European or some sort of hybrid culturally as vague as that is. Separatism in Quebec was always more emotional, wanting recognition of being different, which they are, than practical.

The reality is if 80% of Quebecers wanted their own country it would happen fairly organically. But when it's generally only about 40-45% and many of them of an older demographic it's a little more difficult.

And 20 years ago is a long time as different generations don't always see these things the same way.

Quebec is worth a visit if you haven't been there. Quebec City is a beautiful city, very friendly people, they have the largest winter carnival in the world and in Montreal you will find more beautiful women in one place than you thought possible. It's like they have a by-law that only allows beautiful women to enter the city or something. I mean....I expect they make allowances for connecting flights at the airport...

I wasn't commenting on Quebec.

Sections
Shortcuts