Wilfork asks for Release from Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Re: Wilfork asks for Release from Pats

be interesting to see if Pats lowballed though......VW has to understand where he is at in career though.......if he leaves...he's gone...maybe somebody already has a handshake agreement if he leaves....let's see how long it takes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I think we are maybe seeing that big Vince wasn't quite the team player we all thought he was...been a few whispers of this over the years. I'm not saying he's a bad guy, but a talk show host last year (when asked about how much of a team guy he was), said he is, but not to the level everyone thinks...sounds true. Curran is also saying he thinks Wilfork has thin skin.

And let the anti-Wilfork propaganda campaign begin.  Could someone get Valerie Jarret on the phone?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

I think we are maybe seeing that big Vince wasn't quite the team player we all thought he was...been a few whispers of this over the years. I'm not saying he's a bad guy, but a talk show host last year (when asked about how much of a team guy he was), said he is, but not to the level everyone thinks...sounds true. Curran is also saying he thinks Wilfork has thin skin.

And let the anti-Wilfork propaganda campaign begin.

ok..Colts guy....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Family comes first for him, and he is prideful. That explains the denial rather well.

In the end he will likely come around. His being anal will help nobody.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Dear Vince,

We like you and respect you. We appreciate that you have kept your nose clean and have been a model citizen and family man. We are glad you have always been a Patriot and have appreciated your great play and paid you well for it.

Nothing lasts forever. You have come to the last leg of your journey. You are not a young elite bull in the trenches anymore. This is up to you. Stick with us and we'll stick with you. But if you think we're more loyal to you, you must be informed that, despite the appreciation we have you will never come before our loyalty to the New England Patriots.

Now stop this anal foolishness born of misplaced pride. Restructure, make some more bucks and see if you can still help us win football games. Go out like a champ who belongs somewhere, or cry like a fool in denial. The choice is yours.

Sincerely,

The fans

Not bad for a young fella.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It's funny that the two players who BB fought hard with over contracts and stayed on the team won't restructure a dime. This is the price you pay for using hard nose tactics simply put. Makes you wonder if this is going to affect current players coming off their rook deals moving forward watching this happen.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

I love Big Vince but, really, after a 350 lb (minimum) guy tears his achilles tendon, things aren't looking good. Did he really expect the Patriots to NOT ask him to take a cut? 

Someone may overpay him. I wish him well but, he's not worth 7.5 million. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to danemcmenamin's comment:

No one will pay this man 7.6 million or more coming off a torn achilles. Every smart (winning) team will low ball him because of the injury.

RESPONSE: The Jets might!

For once the Patriots are being pretty fair and the player is being ridiculous.

RESPONSE: For once??? Spare me!!

I mean even if a team gives him a 1 year "prove you're healthy" contract what happens after that...no one is going to sign a 35 year old 300lb DT to a big contract it just don't happen!

RESPONSE: I'll have to check on his age. ProFootballTalk.com has Vince at 31 this year. I thought that he was 33. 

I believe Vince is 32 going to be 33 in Nov.

Apologies guys don't know where I got that from if i'm honest. The patriots aren't fair and when they are fair they have to been dragged through the mudd to get to that point. It's not a bad trait in a team it's a great one but people bleed blue and red here and are allowed to walk...for example the last time Wilfork required a new contract, he deserved what he got but even that took several months to get done and at times it looked like he might walk. Real life fair and NFL fair are 2 completely different things man!

Edit: Also the Jets don't fall under the category of a smart of a winnning team haha

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

It's funny that the two players who BB fought hard with over contracts and stayed on the team won't restructure a dime. This is the price you pay for using hard nose tactics simply put. Makes you wonder if this is going to affect current players coming off their rook deals moving forward watching this happen.

Yeah, my only concern as a Pats fan is how this plays out in the lockerroom among the young bucks.   I was ready to write this year off for VW, coming off the injury and all.   But, young guys will look at what just went down and wonder.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Would Vince ask for his release without an offer from another team in hand? Of course not. Stands to reason that offer is better than what the Pats offered or he would not ask to be released. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

let them wonder....this team wins...you either want to be part of that or not...VW is be making a HUGE mistake leaving....unless a Denver or Seattle grabs him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Does anyone remember if there is precedent with the Pat's granting a players request for a release? I can't remember the last time a player asked but that could be due to advanced age.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

F**K lard azz and his big mouth fat wife.  Sorry past holdout scuuum, we didn't miss you at all.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

Yeah, my only concern as a Pats fan is how this plays out in the lockerroom among the young bucks.   I was ready to write this year off for VW, coming off the injury and all.   But, young guys will look at what just went down and wonder.

Yep, said it years ago when these negotiations happened. This hard nosed tactic is going to comeback and bite them and it looks like it has big time.

My question is if they gave him until Tuesday why didn't they try to get one of the better DT's in FA? A. Jones or Joseph would have been a great fit and oddly enough the money we could save cutting Wilfork would be about what it would have taken to get them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Would Vince ask for his release without an offer from another team in hand? Of course not. Stands to reason that offer is better than what the Pats offered or he would not ask to be released. 

Sounds like tampering. Or more likely, Wilfork pride.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

In response to UD6's comment:

And let the anti-Wilfork propaganda campaign begin.

ok..Colts guy....

Yep.  It's UD6's Job to be a full time Patriot B Buster.  He probably has no life other than scanning this board waiting to pounce. 

Kind of feel sorry for him but not really. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Yep, said it years ago when these negotiations happened. This hard nosed tactic is going to comeback and bite them and it looks like it has big time.

How so?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

I way I see this....giveing Wilfork his wish boosts the available cap to @ 15.5 mill and puts us back in FA.... now we can go out and get Allen or Chandler or what ever improvements we can...Just weigh the potential gain agenst the loss of wilfork for a year...It an investment in the future....Thats the way I see it!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'm guessing that BB has a plan and if he doesn't I'm sure Lombardi does since he apparently is perceived to be the brains that BB is perceived to have lacked.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

My question is if they gave him until Tuesday why didn't they try to get one of the better DT's in FA? A. Jones or Joseph would have been a great fit and oddly enough the money we could save cutting Wilfork would be about what it would have taken to get them.

Trying to be fair to the Pats, I think it's very difficult to juggle everything in a very compressed time frame with so much uncertainty everywhere.

Would they have know to a certainty that Revis would be released by the Bucs and join the team?

Until the deadline was reached, any conversation with AJ or LJ would have been a hypothetical, presumably with no signing unless VW restructured or turned them down.

How seriously would AJ or LJ take such a conversation?

Like you, I am highly frustrated with years of putting too much stock UDFAs and day 3 FAs, but this process is not all linear.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Think Oakland give NE a 4th for him lol  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I'm guessing that BB has a plan and if he doesn't I'm sure Lombardi does since he apparently is perceived to be the brains that BB is perceived to have lacked.

they have now morphed...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Or he could just know he will be cut because he won't restructure.  If he wants to try and get more money from another team he needs to be a FA as soon as possible.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Or he could just know he will be cut because he won't restructure.  If he wants to try and get more money from another team he needs to be a FA as soon as possible.

I believe this fully. And the fact is...teams tamper all the time, as do agents. 

All Wilfork's agent needs to do is call a gm and say "hypothetically, if Vince was available...what would he be looking at...would you, theoretically, be interested?"

In about 30 mins, he knows what's out there. 

I agree, he knows he's going to be cut, and the only way to save that 8mil is to become a free agent STAT!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from quinzpatsfan. Show quinzpatsfan's posts

Didn't stop Revis from signing, didn't stop brady from coming back every year, didn't stop Gronk or Hernz, didn't stop Mayo, almost stop mankins but didn't, didn't stop talib from coming back last year.  Honestly I don't know but I suspect the Pats are pretty much like very other team in NFL except a few.  Build through draft, be diligent signing guys to big money, be ALL business when it come to the business side.  THat's the way NFL works.  Every team does Eng...

Sections
Shortcuts