Wilfork asks for Release from Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

Re: Wilfork asks for Release from Pats

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I don't see how any of his current players can whine. Revis just took a 50% pay cut.

Will Vince or anybody else do the same thing?

Revis got cut from his team so how was that a pay cut considering we have no clue how much he would have made on the market? Not to mention he's making $12mil this year how is that 50% of 16mil?

He's not making 12 mil this year.

He made 16 mil last year, and will make half that this year. That's a pay cut. I didn't say it was voluntary.

Vince can play it any way he likes. Either way, he is taking a pay cut. It would behoove him to take the cut graciously and remain a beloved Pat for life.

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2014/03/13/darrelle-revis-contract-details-starting-to-emerge/

The contract information for Darrelle Revis has started to leak out, and here are the reported details.

On the surface, the deal appears to be a two-year, $32 million contract. Multiple reports indicate that Revis has a $10 million signing bonus for 2014, as well as a $1.5 million base salary and a series of per game bonuses that — if he plays most or all of the season — should put him at $12 million.

Pro Football Talk reports that the Patriots have until April 1, 2015, to pick up the option on the second year of the deal. If New England does that, it would be a $12 million roster bonus. That would be in addition to a $7.5 million base salary, as well as a series of those same per-game bonuses that would put the eventual price tag in the $20 million range for 2015.

One positive is that the Patriots can get some cap relief in 2014 by spreading the original signing bonus out over the two years, which likely will mean that Revis will count for just $6.5 million against the cap this year, that according to Albert Breerof the NFL Network. The flip side to that is that as it stands right now, the bill for 2015 could be sizable, particularly if New England doesn’t pick up the option — the dead money could be as much as a reported $5 million.

In short, it appears to be a very good deal for the Patriots for 2014, as they’ll get one of the best corners in the league on incredibly short money when compared to the other top-level corners who were on the market this year — the cap hit is $7 million. But it likely will necessitate both sides revisiting the deal at the end of the 2014 season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Of course they aren't going to keep him at the super bloated second year.

But the money they will owe for next year will be factored in to a new deal if they strike one with him.

So his pay cut may be 25% or 50%, but it's still a pay cut. And for 2014 it's a 50% pay cut until we resolve the question mark second year.

Babe he gets $12mil this year regardless if they sign him to an extension or not. He got paid $12mil for 2014 no matter what happens.

Not necessarily. That money due next year (for this year) could be worked into bonus money for future years of an extention.

And he didn't take a paycut he was released by his former team and signed with a new team. You make it sound like

I don't make it sound like anything. He got a pay cut. So will Vince.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to quinzpatsfan's comment:

It's funny that the two players who BB fought hard with over contracts and stayed on the team won't restructure a dime. This is the price you pay for using hard nose tactics simply put. Makes you wonder if this is going to affect current players coming off their rook deals moving forward watching this happen.

Didn't stop Revis from signing, didn't stop brady from coming back every year, didn't stop Gronk or Hernz, didn't stop Mayo, almost stop mankins but didn't, didn't stop talib from coming back last year.  Honestly I don't know but I suspect the Pats are pretty much like very other team in NFL except a few.  Build through draft, be diligent signing guys to big money, be ALL business when it come to the business side.  THat's the way NFL works.  Every team does Eng...

Oh so this happened before Gronk and Hern and Mayo and Brady resigned huh? Your examples prior to this event happening with Wilfork and Mankins. And why would it affect Revis he still got paid the highest for a CB in the league? What it could affect is the rooks getting ready to resign in the future like McCourty and Solder. They've now seen how the Pats handled Welker, Wilfork, and Mankins that could affect how our current rooks deal with contract negotiations in the future can't it?

Nope, they all know the deal. This is how the NFL does business. Everyone knows the last year of your contract will never be seen. If you won't extend, you get cut.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In response to pcmIV's comment:

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

But they have seemingly moved on from the restructure at this point. Why would he want his release unless he wants an extension?

He wants his release because he doesn't want to restructure his contract in any way.  He assumes this means the Patriots will cut him.  He wants it to be done sooner so that he can maximize the value of a potential new contract.

Exactly.  Can't blame him.  He has a signed deal with the Pats that they don't want to honor.  He's under no obligation to give the Pats a different deal than the one both agreed to.  If the Pats don't want to honour the deal, they have the right to terminate the deal.  He's just asking for the Pats to do that quickly if that's their choice so he has the best chance to find the best alternarive employer.  Again, can't blame the guy. 

What is this "honor the deal" nonsense? The "deal" allows them to cut him whenever they damned well please. He agreed to that. Now HE wants to "not honor the deal" by dictating to them when to cut him? See how silly even bringing that terminology into the discussion is?

I don't blame him. Ask away. Beg even. But they may have good reason to delay cutting him. TFB for Vince. I don't see him giving any millions back for the 12 games he missed last year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

But the money they will owe for next year will be factored in to a new deal if they strike one with him.

So his pay cut may be 25% or 50%, but it's still a pay cut. And for 2014 it's a 50% pay cut until we resolve the question mark second year.

Babe he gets $12mil this year regardless if they sign him to an extension or not. He got paid $12mil for 2014 no matter what happens.

Not necessarily. That money due next year (for this year) could be worked into bonus money for future years of an extention.

And he didn't take a paycut he was released by his former team and signed with a new team. You make it sound like

Babe $5mil they deferred to next year is signing bonus they cannot work that into bonus money for the future, that's guaranteed to him no matter what. He's getting $12mil for this one year. $7mil counts against the cap and if cut $5mil in dead money from signing bonus that's $12mil

Babe you made it sound like he took a pay cut by choice to sign with the Pats or at least that's how you made it sound. You made it sound like he took 50% less so Wilfork should want to too which wasn't the case in the least.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to stillgridlocked's comment:

I don't see how any of his current players can whine. Revis just took a 50% pay cut.

Will Vince or anybody else do the same thing?

Revis got cut from his team so how was that a pay cut considering we have no clue how much he would have made on the market? Not to mention he's making $12mil this year how is that 50% of 16mil?

He's not making 12 mil this year.

He made 16 mil last year, and will make half that this year. That's a pay cut. I didn't say it was voluntary.

Vince can play it any way he likes. Either way, he is taking a pay cut. It would behoove him to take the cut graciously and remain a beloved Pat for life.

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2014/03/13/darrelle-revis-contract-details-starting-to-emerge/

The contract information for Darrelle Revis has started to leak out, and here are the reported details.

On the surface, the deal appears to be a two-year, $32 million contract. Multiple reports indicate that Revis has a $10 million signing bonus for 2014, as well as a $1.5 million base salary and a series of per game bonuses that — if he plays most or all of the season — should put him at $12 million.

Pro Football Talk reports that the Patriots have until April 1, 2015, to pick up the option on the second year of the deal. If New England does that, it would be a $12 million roster bonus. That would be in addition to a $7.5 million base salary, as well as a series of those same per-game bonuses that would put the eventual price tag in the $20 million range for 2015.

One positive is that the Patriots can get some cap relief in 2014 by spreading the original signing bonus out over the two years, which likely will mean that Revis will count for just $6.5 million against the cap this year, that according to Albert Breerof the NFL Network. The flip side to that is that as it stands right now, the bill for 2015 could be sizable, particularly if New England doesn’t pick up the option — the dead money could be as much as a reported $5 million.

In short, it appears to be a very good deal for the Patriots for 2014, as they’ll get one of the best corners in the league on incredibly short money when compared to the other top-level corners who were on the market this year — the cap hit is $7 million. But it likely will necessitate both sides revisiting the deal at the end of the 2014 season.

Yeah, I have a handle on the details still.

Bottom line is that the Pats are on the hook for 7.5 mil on the cap in 2014. Whether the other 5 mil will be absorbed into a future extention or not, we don't know.

Obviously this entire deal was set up to allow for extending, and adjusting the terms of the agreement, for more years.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Its a shame it has to end this way, but if hes askin to be released we should simply grant it and take the cap relief.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

Nope, they all know the deal. This is how the NFL does business. Everyone knows the last year of your contract will never be seen. If you won't extend, you get cut.

Right but some also like to understand that they won't have to go through big headaches to 1) get paid and 2) be told to give it back after they fought so hard for it. Wilfork mentioned numerous times of Seymour and his contract struggles and how Seymour felt the Pats pulled the rug from under him. Players talk and certainly bond closer together than players and coaches (with exception on maybe QB's and coaches). Seymour and BB's struggles certainly effected Wilfork and the Pats negotiations. You don't think there are young players who admire Wilfork and are watching this and questioning if the Pats have their best interests in mind our and whether they want to take a discount and stay or take what they can from another team and avoid the headache?

Loyality goes both ways and if other players thought Wilfork was loyal to the franchise before this happened and view what's happening as the Pats not being loyal back how do you think they might take it? Don't forget with athletes respect is a big thing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Who says Wilfork isn't willing to restructure? Whe have no clue what the negotiations were. As far as we know the Pats said they wanted to cut his base to vet min and he is only willing to cut it half way. We have no clue how much they asked to restructure and without that it's hard to say how 'greedy' Wilfork is being vs if the Pats are being unreasonable. But, of course fans jump to conclusions immediately and attack the player forgetting how hard that player had to fight for that contract to begin with.

Wilfork says he won't restructure! Is his word not good enough for you?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Bottom line is that the Pats are on the hook for 7.5 mil on the cap in 2014. Whether the other 5 mil will be absorbed into a future extention or not, we don't know.

Obviously this entire deal was set up to allow for extending, and adjusting the terms of the agreement, for more years.

Actually we do IT CAN'T. It's guaranteed no matter what happens the Pats are on the hook for it regardless of future contract or not. It's the $20mil base in option they aren't on the hook for which can be converted to bonus if they extend him later

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

And if the Pats gave him an offer of take min value take it or leave it, then that would be considered he won't restructure either would it? Again until we know what they offered we don't know if he would of he wouldn't. If the Pats didn't give him a realistic starting point why would he even negotiate to restructure?

For example your company says we want you to take a 90% pay cut take it or leave it are you going to come back and negotaite it or say screw you and walk out? That would be not restructuring.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Babe you made it sound like he took a pay cut by choice to sign with the Pats or at least that's how you made it sound. You made it sound like he took 50% less so Wilfork should want to too which wasn't the case in the least.

No PatsEng. I didn't make it sound like anything. I simply said he got a pay cut. And I'm relating that to the reality that Wilfork IS going to get a pay cut. Vince can either do it the easy way or the hard way.

If it were me I wouldn't even offer Vince a restructure. I would cut both him and Mankins at the first opportunity that was wise regarding guaranteed money. Don't want either of them for what they get paid, and would not have ever given them the big bucks BB gave them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

In response to RallyC's comment:

In response to GrantW's comment:

@AlbertBreer 1m

Big news RT @RapSheet #Patriots DT Vince Wilfork has asked that the team release him after 10 seasons in New England, according to sources.

Yaaaaaaaawnnnnn........I still don't know why this took so long. C-ya Vince. We love ya. Thanks for all the great years. May sound harsh, but in a multi-billion dollar industry where winning is the objective, there's no time to be sentimental or loyal to a rapidly depreciating asset when its obese, 33-yrs old, and trying to recover from a severe leg injury........NEXT MAN UP!!!

10-4 Chief!  RALLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I bet he weighs more than he did when  he got hurt...I'd love to get a gander of what he looks like...the team obviously knows his weight and condition.....

No way a guy his size and age with that injury demands 7.5 salary this year and carries a 10 million cap hit...no way...of course, we don't know what he was offered in the way of renegotiations, but knowing the Pats it was most likely hideously one sided...lol...but, I agree with ya man...C YA Vince, come back on VW day and when we put you in the Pats HOF... :)

[/QUOTE

YO MELLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYY-MELLLLLLLL!
    The BIG V-Dub will always be an all time PATRIOTS Legend. I'd rather see him go than to cost us a younger guy with potential AND cost us the memories of him being VINCE as he becomes very average now at best. YO VINCE! XOXOXOXOXOXO!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Loyality goes both ways and if other players thought Wilfork was loyal to the franchise before this happened .....

How the hell was Vince loyal?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

No PatsEng. I didn't make it sound like anything. I simply said he got a pay cut. And I'm relating that to the reality that Wilfork IS going to get a pay cut. Vince can either do it the easy way or the hard way.

If it were me I wouldn't even offer Vince a restructure. I would cut both him and Mankins at the first opportunity that was wise regarding guaranteed money. Don't want either of them for what they get paid, and would not have ever given them the big bucks BB gave them.

You're exact quote "I don't see how any of his current players can whine. Revis just took a 50% pay cut.

Will Vince or anybody else do the same thing?"

Revis took a 50% paycut will Wilfork or anyone else do the same. You don't see how that makes it sound like Revis took a pay cut intentionally and you don't see Vince doing the same as in taking a 50% paycut?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Throughout the entire negotiations with everything that happened he could of said I don't need this and entered FA instead. He also got worked like a mule and said nothing in the media only being a good soldier from day 1. He did everything BB and Kraft asked of him on and off the field and even going to offseason charity events that he didn't need to go to. To most that's loyality

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Actually we do IT CAN'T. It's guaranteed no matter what happens the Pats are on the hook for it regardless of future contract or not. It's the $20mil base in option they aren't on the hook for which can be converted to bonus if they extend him later

I understand it is owed for playing in 2014. I'm saying it can be negotiated into an extention. For example the Pats could offer a two year deal at 12 mil per and be willing to extend that to 3 years if the 5 mil is compensated for to whatever degree in the extra time.

At this point we're just arguing semantics. If ONE MILLION of that 5 owed is accounted for as savings on an extention, then for practical purposes we didn't pay him the whole 5 million.

But fine, I'll say it's 12 mil for 2014 just to depart from that aspect of my point. He still took a pay cut. And so will Vince, because I don't see him making the same money in 2014 even if the Pats cut him on the exact day he desires.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

And if the Pats gave him an offer of take min value take it or leave it, then that would be considered he won't restructure either would it? Again until we know what they offered we don't know if he would of he wouldn't. If the Pats didn't give him a realistic starting point why would he even negotiate to restructure?

For example your company says we want you to take a 90% pay cut take it or leave it are you going to come back and negotaite it or say screw you and walk out? That would be not restructuring.

Nope, he stated that he wouldn't renegotiate weeks before the Pats tried. None of that pretend, hypothetical stuff that you keep talking about happened.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Pats have all the leverage, wilfork is coming off major surgery, is on the wrong side of 30  and was already in a decline, plus we play less 3-4. On top of all that we get $8 mill cap relieft, if he isnt open to restructuring then peace out and good luck.

His replacement was going to be drafted reguardess this year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

But they have seemingly moved on from the restructure at this point. Why would he want his release unless he wants an extension?

He wants his release because he doesn't want to restructure his contract in any way.  He assumes this means the Patriots will cut him.  He wants it to be done sooner so that he can maximize the value of a potential new contract.

Exactly.  Can't blame him.  He has a signed deal with the Pats that they don't want to honor.  He's under no obligation to give the Pats a different deal than the one both agreed to.  If the Pats don't want to honour the deal, they have the right to terminate the deal.  He's just asking for the Pats to do that quickly if that's their choice so he has the best chance to find the best alternarive employer.  Again, can't blame the guy. 

What is this "honor the deal" nonsense? The "deal" allows them to cut him whenever they damned well please. He agreed to that. Now HE wants to "not honor the deal" by dictating to them when to cut him? See how silly even bringing that terminology into the discussion is?

I don't blame him. Ask away. Beg even. But they may have good reason to delay cutting him. TFB for Vince. I don't see him giving any millions back for the 12 games he missed last year.

I agree Babe. Players know what contracts in the NFL mean...that's why they go for the guaranteed money. Vince did the same thing when they had to cut Seymour to afford him.

Pats are doing it the right way...as is Wilfork. 

I imagine it was bb going to Vince and saying "We have to restructure or release you. This is the restructure we are offering, you can accept it, or not."

BB will NOT do any other teams favors, he will make it as hard to integrate Vince as possible. Also, if that's the road they're going down...he's not going to do Vince, a soon-to-be enemy, any favors either. 

He did this in 03 with Milloy. This is really no different. Some players may not like it...well, it is what it is. Seemed like a cold, bad move at that time...but age has granted me some wisdom. This is the business of football. Brady may one day find himself in the same situation. It happened to Montana. It can happen to anyone.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Nope, he stated that he wouldn't renegotiate weeks before the Pats tried. None of that pretend, hypothetical stuff that you keep talking about happened.

I remember seeing Mankins say that I don't remember Wilfork saying that until they started talking, but please if you find that article saying that weeks before they started talking I'd be happy to say I was wrong

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Throughout the entire negotiations with everything that happened he could of said I don't need this and entered FA instead. He also got worked like a mule and said nothing in the media only being a good soldier from day 1. He did everything BB and Kraft asked of him on and off the field and even going to offseason charity events that he didn't need to go to. To most that's loyality

I see. So he didn't show any "loyalty" whatsoever. He simply wasn't a jerk. I applaud that. He didn't go to free agency because he got paid BIG right here. It remains a huge if that he would have gotten more elsewhere. He got paid the market rate for his position.

You're supposed to work like a mule and attend charity events. That's what being a part of a team is. I did charity work for my company on a number of occasions and worked like a mule as well. I didn't consider that being loyal. I simply considered it being a good corporate citizen, and I certainly didn't expect them to not lay me off if they didn't need me because of that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Their only reason to delay cutting him if they aren't going to pay him is to put pressure on him to relent and restructure . . . or just to be plain old jerks.   It's hardball and they have the right to do it, but it's still an arzzhole thing to do. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I understand it is owed for playing in 2014. I'm saying it can be negotiated into an extention. For example the Pats could offer a two year deal at 12 mil per and be willing to extend that to 3 years if the 5 mil is compensated for to whatever degree in the extra time.

At this point we're just arguing semantics. If ONE MILLION of that 5 owed is accounted for as savings on an extention, then for practical purposes we didn't pay him the whole 5 million.

But fine, I'll say it's 12 mil for 2014 just to depart from that aspect of my point. He still took a pay cut. And so will Vince, because I don't see him making the same money in 2014 even if the Pats cut him on the exact day he desires.

This is what you don't understand none of that is savings. No matter how you extend it you can't take that $5mil away because you already gave it to him. It's the $20mil you can play with but not that $5mil. That $5mil is a constant and can't be changed it can only be spread out over an extension. No matter what happens he gets a $12mil check this year and they can't take any of that back. The semantics is how it's spread on the cap and future caps but that's his to keep till the end of time. If they extend that $5mil is guaranteed even if they extend by the vet min for two years it would still be that vet min base +that $5mil bonus he already got. That's how signing bonuses work, you can't take back a single red cent, so you can't save $1mil in an extension because he already has it in his bank account all you can do is spread it out over the extension but you already paid it regardless. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Look...he's had a great run and made 32 out of a possible 40 million...he'll never have to work another day in his life if he chooses not to....I can't cry for the guy....we don't even know if he can play for cryin' out loud! Think they might know more than we do?

10 years in today's NFL is one long career...live long and continue to prosper VW...

As Rally C says, NEXT MAN UP!

Sections
Shortcuts