wilfork could be costly to resign

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

wilfork could be costly to resign

wilfork has been trying to get a new contract all season,but not much going on with the pats in that dept.wilfork didnt get upset,or hold out,and was elected to the pro-bowl,and possible superbowl.his contract will be up after this season.and his asking price will be going up from several months ago.this guy will be a huge loss,and hard to replace if the pats cant,or wont retain him.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2009/12/31/patriots_wilfork_tackled_problem_came_up_with_answer/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: wilfork could be costly to resign

They will pay him. They will try and get him at the home town discount but I think they appreciate him a lot. I also believe that part of the rationale for trading Seymour was because they knew they couldn't afford both. We shall see though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Expensive but well worth it, he will get paid.  Without him we would not be 10-5 and playoff bound.  VW will deserve the contract he'll get, hopefully is with the Pats and we get a little bit of hometown discount.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

I put all the blame on the organization if they dont work this out.  From the outside looking in he looks to be pretty humble.  If he is considered one of the best at his position they why not compensate him.  He has lived up to his contract and hasnt complained he has done his job very well and not to mention play injured.  I believe that BB thought he could replace him with Brace and Pryor and so far he seems only to be half right.  Pryor looks solid and will only get better imo.  Brace, well the verdict is still out.  He has yet to show any signs on life.  Possible Bust.  They can have Wilfork signed up and Pryor as his back up.  Two very solid DT's.

What I believe will happen is either 2 things.  Pats franchise him and see if Pryor turns out to be another great pick or they dont tag him and he signs with Miami.  Either way I dont think that the Pats will re-sign him.  This has been one of the best run organizations in Pro Sports, but somethings I dont understand why they choose to let players that they develop go and replace them with scraps (cornerbacks) and with all the "In Bill I trust" that so many profess to, he does make his share of bad decisions.  Like I believe he will do with this one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Either we'll tag him or we'll find someone similar to a Ted Washington; if available.  I think the Patriots thought Brace might develop into a replacement - but he was pushed back so easily at the line of scrimmage that I think that has gone by the wayside. Still giving Brace a chance since he is a rookie...but it looks like he has a lot of work to do on his technique and lower body strength

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KUL00. Show KUL00's posts

It is a strange, but somewhat Pats calculated situation. Trading Seymour means they are serious in my mind in slapping the Franchise Tag on him. Either way they will not let him walk for nothing. 

I am guessing someone will offer the Kitchen Sink for this guy & the Pats know it. Players complain all of the time about 'Respect''Getting Paid'', etc, etc. I am sorry I do not feel bad for this guy when he is making 2 Million USD Per Year. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

the sky could be blue

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

FRANCHISE HIM... FRANCHISE HIM... uncapped year in 2010. if he becomes a problem then theyll trade him and get a 1st round pick in the draft.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they franchised him, but if they do things could go downhill in a hurry.  It's pretty clear the man deserves what's coming to him money wise, I just hope the Pats can find a way to retain him at a reasonable price.  Losing Wilfork would be devastating for their base 3-4

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

Trust me, VW will be signed and he will get his worth and both sides will be happy. BB is not stupid.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmadmax82. Show bmadmax82's posts

Great NT like VW are hard to find. If we don't resign him, we better get some one like Suh, otherwise we are going to have 100 yard runs every week!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

This team should pay him, but wont. They'll franchise him if anything. Not alot of people know, but we actually tried to trade him the same time as Big Sey. Not trying to trade both, but just one or the other. Its a shame too, I cant think of 3 guys in the league that can do what he does at his level. J-Will from SD is great, but always hurt. Id take Wilfork over Hampton, I mean there are others guys, but not on his level. At least not right now. He's getting over 600lbs of angry fat guy on him half the time. Thats the hardest and toughest place to play IMHO. Pay the man!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Anybody ever think maybe they did this with the idea of the uncapped year next year? Maybe they want to sign him to a big contract that way? You know, big up front money with no cap hit the next year after the CBA is worked out?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Wilfork is one of many who nobody thought the Pats could afford to lose.  So far the only guy that has ever done anything after leaving NE is Samuel.  If Wilfork goes they'll be fine.  The last 3 games the Pats won, with Pryor and other subs.  Carolina and JAX are 2 of the best run teams in the NFL. 

I hope they work it out, but if not they will get something for him and then develop some other guy, who we will say the Pats can't live without in 2013.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

To ALL:

~Whether you're a person in the "Yes" Camp-For signing Vince Wilfork, OR a person in the "Nay" Camp against giving VW another contract, Is NOT the true issue here.  Personally, I'm Nay, but not in ANY way at all in terms of VWs skills, no way...I simply believe too many other critically needed positions will suffer a vaster fallout by signing 1 NT to the biggest DL money in history, BUT I digress completely, from again, The "Real" Issue: One that mosseffect muses on in his very first sentence, a simple fact that cannot be overlooked.....Our Vince Wilfork has been NOTHING but a CLASS ACT in his entire time with this organization, and especially as this tentative contract hourglass is running more and more out of sand, he is neither a loudmouth, a holdout...these ideas seemingly being completely and utterly foreign to VW, and IF N.E. does in fact sign him to the largest DL Money in NFL History, I won't leave thinking That The Pats just might have had better players and shored up more spots IF VW was signed elsewhere OR there being better DL out there, NO...I'll leave thinking that VW's crazy skills and efforts besides, In sheer quality of character and leadership ability and what he has already given this franchise, The signing will be good for each and every party....    

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

Could be costly if they let him go.  Look at how the D suffered this year without Seymour. Letting good players go all the time will eventually catch up with you. How about Deion Branch, Samuels, some offensive lineman starring on other teams.  Another thing, it has been HALF a Decade since the Pats won the big dance.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"This team should pay him, but wont. They'll franchise him if anything. Not alot of people know, but we actually tried to trade him the same time as Big Sey. Not trying to trade both, but just one or the other."

Who's your source on that news??  If that's actually true, it would lead me to believe the Pats and Vince's camp are far apart on contract numbers.

Sections
Shortcuts