Wilfork feels disrespected if tagged for 7 million

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

Wilfork feels disrespected if tagged for 7 million

This world has been turned upside down. Seven million for one years worth of work.There isn't anyone (outside football) in Boston who wouldn't jump at that opportunity of a lifetime to make 7 million. That's alot of money! I feel bad for Vince as he's in a tough spot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Re: Wilfork feels disrespected if tagged for 7 million

Why would you feel bad for a person who has already made millions playing a game?

If you want to feel bad for someone how about the Haitian child who lost his parents in the Quake.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcappy. Show jcappy's posts

I guess it's all relative to his career situation, but given the economy, to hear players talk about "taking care of their family" comes across as the dead rhetoric that it actually is.  What he really wants is equity within the NFL context.  And that's what he should say--and sometimes does. 

The tag is worth 7 million but a contract with big bonus money may be worth far more in terms of guaranteed money, which is his bottom line as an NFL player.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

And for many NFL players, "family" may not just mean wife and children....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

I don't knoiw about you guys but I'd be so insulted by someone offering me 7 mil I'd turn it down. This sounds like a mega millions winner complaining about the 60 mil in taxes paid on their 120 mil winnings.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

What seems odd to me is that Vince said that being tagged is like being told you're only a mediocre player. I thought that teams using the tag are simply trying to hold on to a player that they might not otherwise be able to afford. I guess I just don't see how he interprets this as a critique of his playing ability.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

IndianaPatsFan I think what he is refering to is that he is worth more than the 7 mil a year he would be paid for that year.

IMO he feels he's a 10 mil a year player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

Can we really get a first rounder if we franchise and trade him? That sounds steep to me

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2010/01/31/lineman_wilfork_wants_to_go_long?mode=PF

He wants a long term deal, plain and simple.

By franchising him it would "in essence take him off the free agent market while giving him no guarantee of long-term security."

Also, if he feels he's worth more than 7 mill he's wrong.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Goodbye Vince.
    I just read this article where Vince says: "[The franchise tag] is decent money for most people out there. What I do, it's OK. But I don't look at myself as an OK player. Like I said, it's just basically a slap in my face and an insult to me to basically tell me I'm an OK player."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/9846/wilfork-already-wearing-contract-warpaint

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

Oh well, Vince will have to $uck it up and play....it is part of the game....get used to it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

NO
    he doesnt want to get tagged because that is a one year deal, what if he gets injured next season? then this next contract would be much less than what he would get paid if he signed a longer extension this season that if we game him the Tag now

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

I wish someone would disrespect me like they do VW

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Yea, but that would then means you don't deserve the money since you are not playing due to being hurt. Why would you rip the team off like that paying a guy who is not playing? would you be doing that to your agent who got hurt traveling to a place negociating a deal for you and got career ending injury from an accident, would you be paying him money for another 5 years?

That response is just stupid. If I were Wilfork, I would say that first and then tell you that if I got injured playing for the team, then yes, I should get paid. Anyone who gets injured on the job gets paid. Then I would call you an idiot again. Then I would "accidentally" break your leg and see if you didn't try to get paid by your employer. And if you did, I would send you flowers with a note reminding you that you are a Dumas.

And by the way, he doesn't get paid the next season. If he is out, he is out. So yes, not giving him a contract with guaranteed money could easily be considered as disrespectful to someone in Wilfork's situation. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

too bad the players association agreed to these franchise tags.....oh well!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

This franchise tag is the union's fault. All I can think of is Deion Branch and how he jobbed us by not playing. What's to say VW doesn't sit out everything to force a trade? Do the Pats grab another NT in the draft or through free agency in order to hold all the cards on VW?

This guy is going to be franchised and he is going to be peeved. Like someone else on here said its his union's fault. Why do they have these rules if the owners aren't supposed to use them? Guys now are acting like they can create their own rules. How about some kind of league suspension without pay and time served with team if the players don't show up.

My best guess is VW will now be at home until September.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

People were siding with Big Vince before he started to talk publicly about his contract situation.  I still think he did his part and played out his contract while remaining realtively quiet.  His chance at making really big money is being hampered by the possibility that the Pats franchise him.  No one begrudges a guy trying to make all the money he can in what is a violent game.  But it's hard to feel bad for a guy that's looking at a 7 million dollar payday.  

No one knows if that Pats offered him a long term deal in the range of Kris Jenkins money.  If they haven't even broached the subject with him he should do what he feels is best for his long-term security.  And that, in my opinion, is a holdout and trade.  I hope the sides can agree, and if not, they should move on.  But why is it that the Pats will sign Adalius Thomas to a huge deal and they are so hesitant to take care of their own players?         

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

no such word as "disrespected"!!!! this was made up by a number of the "less intelligent", inarticulate nfl players, who have a limited education( due to paying only attention to sports in high school, and none in their college careers). And as such, should have no attention paid to their dumb attempts to express themselves.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

All this Wilfork talk is for not. The Pats will tag him and he will play ..............end of story..........

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from timithye. Show timithye's posts

While I find it hard to feel bad for a person who is about to make more money in one year than I would make in 5 lifetimes (or than all of my ancestors have made combined in their lifetimes), I can understand why he would want the long term deal, with the guaranteed signing bonus (likely in the $20M-$30M range). 

IMO, it is all about appearances - when he gets the long term deal with major $$$$, his status as one of the best at his position is justified.  In a game where most of the players make millions, the long term deals with guaranteed money is what separates the good from the best.

The 2010 Pat's defense is not any better than the 2009 defense with VW in the lineup, but it is much worse without him.  Offer him a reasonable contract (fair market value) with a decent signing bonus, front loaded with most of the money being paid in 2010 (if possible.)  This way when a new CBA is in place with a salary cap, the Pat's can still acquire players in future years.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

First: 9/15/2009
    Last: 2/1/2010
    OK, what if he plays for us next year with 7 mil, gets injured like Welker or anything more severe, probably career threatening and is put on IR and released the following year. Who is going to sign him them. He played 6 years for 7 mil $ and he needs some form of security and long term contract will offer that. He is looking for a contract that pays him like 23-30 mil guarantee with another 20 mil in options and bonuses. Now if you are offered 7 mil, but have the potential to earn 22 mil, which one would you prefer?
    Football is a violent sport and the shelf life of NT is very less and Wilford will probably play for another 5 yeard before his body gives away. He is right in asking for money!
    Oh well....tell him to write a letter complaining to the players association....right now the Pats are in the right to tag him....and under the rules he has to play.....other than that, he can cry me a river.  Why should the Pats sign him for 22 million when they can get him for 7 million?

And If he made 7 million in 6 years, then gets a 7 million pay raise in 1 year, i think that is pretty darn good.  Then if he gets tagged again the next year he gets another nice raise.....he should shut up and put up!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LenDaleUSC06. Show LenDaleUSC06's posts

Call me crazy, but I haven't heard about V. Wilfork's kids in his entired 6 yrs as a Patriot why now did he just get them this yr?? granted I'm kidding, but has anyone ever noticed the kids never come into any discussion until its contract time.  Or the quote... Oh it's not about the money... Naw what is really not about?? Tell us what that is.. family, team location vs. hometown.

I will say this that this yr. folks may say that Wilfork didn't have the best of his seasons this yr, but that had a lot to do w/constant double teams (more than ever b/c Seymour was gone) & teams were able to run left on us easily b/c we didn't have a RDE to set the edge ala R. Seymour.  Jarvis Green was shown that he is just a 3rd Down fill-in DE.  W/o a RDE & a solid LDE, VW can be double-teamed & our DL is rendered useless & our secondary can be gutted.

Draft a DE w/ 1 of our Top 4 2010 NFL Draft Picks.  Sign VW in this uncapped yr to a 6yr $40 MIL deal w/$26 MIL guaranteed.  That would take VW until he is 34 yrs. old & we could pay a good portion of his guaranteed money in this uncapped yr.  Also, we need to get Logan Mankins OG signed as well maybe a contract similar to VW's deal above.

Until we solidfy our Defensive Lines & Offensive Lines we will continue to be a playoff team that's a SB pretender.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from gfkr2. Show gfkr2's posts

Is it me, or does big Vince look like he's gained another 20 pounds over the past month??

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jonbam. Show jonbam's posts

pochen23, I think your comments are right on.  It appears that most posters want the Patriots to assume all of the risks (e.g., serious injury, lesser performance, etc.) with a guaranteed contract.  There is only so much up-front money that pro teams can spend without harming their franchise (and unfortunately some of the owners' other businesses).  VW is a very good NT.  He did make the Pro Bowl team but so did David Garrard.  He did not make the much more elite All-Pro team.  He was fifth in the voting for NT/DT with 6 votes while the leading vote getter received 29 votes.  He does deserve a long term deal but the Patriots are only using their leverage as available in the CBA to retain his services in the most favorable position for the team.  Of course, that is assuming that they do want to retain his services.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

With the way the Pats D played this year Wilfork should be embarrased to ask for more money. I know he was one of the better players on D but as a whole unit they stunk.

Sections
Shortcuts