Wilfork= Justin Smith effect?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Wilfork= Justin Smith effect?

Good god. The 2012 SF D, which is arguably better than this Pats D, absolutely fell apart once Smith tore his Triceps last season and wasnt as effective.

I think Vince is a better player and plays a bigger role when you accuont for the supporting cast.

Chandler Jones is going to have a much harder time getting pressure and the run D is going to take a huge hit.

Stopping a team like Denver is going to be that much harder without an interior push.

Not the end of the world...but I would argue this test will be BB's second largest, only after 2008 without Brady. Wilfork is that good and that important to this team.

Players better start stepping up...Aqib Talib last night was a great start

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Re: Wilfork= Justin Smith effect?

The pass-rush and run-defense looked fine last night after Wilfork went down. Fantastic player, means a lot to the team and defense, but this is a far cry from the Brady situation. Would argue he isn't the most valuable defender on the team -- that honor goes to Talib. 

Next man up. They'll be fine. 

Let's go Pats!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I would respectfully disagree....Vince is a BIG loss. I thought we needed interior help before he went down and now they must mind a body somewhere....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

But, and maybe it's not that important, Vellano looked like he was running under water - obviously the slowest guy on the field.  On a number of running plays, he simply fell down.  No lateral movement at all.  This is a meaningful loss to the Patriots because Wilfork's replacement is a rookie beside being slow and weighs 25 lbs. less.  Wilfork anchored the D in every way.

"They don't put Ws and Ls on the paychecks" - Sidney Wicks

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4047318. Show user_4047318's posts

In response to painter's comment:

But, and maybe it's not that important, Vellano looked like he was running under water - obviously the slowest guy on the field.  On a number of running plays, he simply fell down.  No lateral movement at all.  This is a meaningful loss to the Patriots because Wilfork's replacement is a rookie beside being slow and weighs 25 lbs. less.  Wilfork anchored the D in every way.

"They don't put Ws and Ls on the paychecks" - Sidney Wicks

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4047318. Show user_4047318's posts

Let's face it, Wilfork wasn't that effective from the begining of the season ......he looked like he was way overweight .  The D didn't miss a beat after he went out.  I think someone with a little less bulk and more speed/agility tonget around blockers might not be bad for the team. You never know how good the next guy will be.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from grima23. Show grima23's posts

we will miss the big guy , hate to say it but that might be all for vince , 350 lbs on a bad ankle might be hard to comback from plus what 32 years old ? he will go into pats hall of fame someday but lets hope for the best, good luck big man

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Atlanmissing a poor offensive line missing key players. Also had a 190 lb backup rb...

His loss is gonna be felt down the stretch

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

The pass-rush and run-defense looked fine last night after Wilfork went down. Fantastic player, means a lot to the team and defense, but this is a far cry from the Brady situation. Would argue he isn't the most valuable defender on the team -- that honor goes to Talib. 

Next man up. They'll be fine. 

Let's go Pats!

^ this.

Vince is a 34 tackle. NE plays mostly 43 defense. 

It's not going to have the world ending ramifications you'd think.

I'd just beware power rushing teams, because that is what Vince added. 

The real improvement this season on defense is on the back of Talib, Dennard, Jones, and Kelly. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

Not to dismiss a GREAT like Big Vince , but the D line was doing ok AND Vince was the weak link with his play over the 1st 3 games. We seem to be at our best when overcoming adversity and not so much as the favorites. Let the spotlight shine off Manning's oversized forehead blinding the rest of the country to this young, injured, struggling but 4 and 0 team. 

"Don't touch my Leatherhelmet!!"

Sections
Shortcuts