Wilfork Restructure Talks Underway

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Wilfork Restructure Talks Underway

Could Pats consider cutting Wilfork? Updated: March 7, 2014, 8:59 PM ET By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com

The New England Patriots have had recent discussions with representatives for defensive tackle Vince Wilfork about altering Wilfork's contract, according to sources familiar with the talks.

Left hanging in the balance is one mammoth question: If an agreement can't be reached, would the Patriots really consider cutting Wilfork?

It's hard to believe the Patriots would do so given everything Wilfork has meant to the franchise on and off the field, but the simple fact they've approached him about the contract puts the possibility in play -- unless it's just one 325-pound-sized bluff.

Wilfork is due to earn $7.5 million in base salary in 2014, the final year of his deal. His salary-cap charge is a hefty $11.6 million. He turns 33 in November and is coming off a torn Achilles injury that ended his 2013 season after four games.

Meanwhile, the Patriots can absorb the salary, as they aren't snug to the salary cap like the Pittsburgh Steelers or Dallas Cowboys, both of whom recently restructured and extended contracts because they needed the space. So New England's hand isn't forced. But every bit of salary-cap space helps when building a roster, and Wilfork could provide a significant amount of it by reworking his deal.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/10570103/would-new-england-patriots-consider-cutting-vince-wilfork-rework-contract

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Wilfork Restructure Talks Underway

Would be smarter to cut him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

While I have my doubts that he can fully come back with that injury, I just don't see the Pats flat out cutting him.  I think both sides will work out a restructure and put 2 more years on Wilforks contract. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

While I have my doubts that he can fully come back with that injury, I just don't see the Pats flat out cutting him.  I think both sides will work out a restructure and put 2 more years on Wilforks contract. 

[/QUOTE]

Not sure on the details of the restructure but I do agree that it is the more likely outcome.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

now isn't this a double standard.  we'd be mad if he held out but the pats offer a bad contract and don't follow through on the final year.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree too. But they will restructure the contract.. I like Vince don't get me wrong i just think they could put that money to more needs. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to getdrunkstupit's comment:
    [QUOTE]

now isn't this a double standard.  we'd be mad if he held out but the pats offer a bad contract and don't follow through on the final year.  

[/QUOTE]

Long contracts like that RARELY actually reach the full $ reported and finish all the years without a restructure. Vince has earned 32M of the 40M on the deal, he's done well. It's not any double standard to not want to pay a 33yo NT coming off an achilles 11M this season

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

NFL players are hired, not adopted. If the ruthlessness of life in the NFL is too tough for you then you picked the wrong way to make a living.

Agents and players know the drill, the final years of a big money deal quite often never sees the light of day.

If Vince isn't wise to restructure, and I hope he is, he's reached the end of the line here.

Nothing personal, it's just good business.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

NFL players are hired, not adopted. If the ruthlessness of life in the NFL is too tough for you then you picked the wrong way to make a living.

Agents and players know the drill, the final years of a big money deal quite often never sees the light of day.

If Vince isn't wise to restructure, and I hope he is, he's reached the end of the line here.

Nothing personal, it's just good business.

[/QUOTE]

Agree

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Long contracts like that RARELY actually reach the full $ reported and finish all the years without a restructure. Vince has earned 32M of the 40M on the deal, he's done well. It's not any double standard to not want to pay a 33yo NT coming off an achilles 11M this season

[/QUOTE]

Especially when they are back loaded in the final year. He gets the $3.6 million in bonus money this year (and the team gets that cap hit) whether he plays or not. Basically it comes down to if they think he can play to a $7.5 million cap hit level for this season. If he can contibute at a decent level, then keep him and pay him this last year. If they don't believe he can contribute this year, then extending him to spread it over more years makes no sense. It would be time to just cut him, as hard as that might be, as much as we all love Vince and what he has done for the team and organization.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I don't agree with any of the above. 

The Pats, will not allow an inch of sentiment to enter any decision. If he is not healthy to play to his contract, they will move on. On the flip side, I understand it has already been leaked Vince will not extend unless the terms are very favorable to him, which they won't be.

Vince will be back on his current contract, and the decision to extend or release will be made at a later date

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Pats, will not allow an inch of sentiment to enter any decision. If he is not healthy to play to his contract, they will move on. On the flip side, I understand it has already been leaked Vince will not extend unless the terms are very favorable to him, which they won't be.

Vince will be back on his current contract, and the decision to extend or release will be made at a later date

[/QUOTE]

What is Vince looking for? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Unfortunately for Vince he is at a point in age, salary and injury wise where he is in no position to dictate anything.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

OK , if BB has already went up to Vince and asked him to extend and he said no I won't . Then BB would walk away and say fine And let him play on his regular contract. I am sorry I disagree. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

Unfortunately for Vince he is at a point in age, salary and injury wise where he is in no position to dictate anything.

[/QUOTE]

You a re correct,unless his agent already knows another team will pay him. 

Never negotiate with BB without knowledge of another offer in your back pocket....isn't this common knowledge by now? If not it should be, as every agent and player already knows. Wes and his agent were either dumb, or forgot the rules in dealing with BB....Vince may forget, his wife apparently won't forget

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What is Vince looking for? 

[/QUOTE]

I don't know. But I thought it is already out they are pretty far apart...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

No double standard.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to stinkman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

OK , if BB has already went up to Vince and asked him to extend and he said no I won't . Then BB would walk away and say fine And let him play on his regular contract. I am sorry I disagree. 

[/QUOTE]

No, that is not what I said. I did say Vince will play on his current contract if he can still play to that contract level. If he can't, BB will cut him. That decision won't be made until down the road. 

Look, Vince isn't going to not extend if he knows he will be cut and no one else will offer him a contract. He understands the market out there for him, and will make a decision accordingly...

he may have told BB he won't extend, give him training camp to show what he has left, and if at that time Bb isn't impressed, they part ways. The decision doesn't have to be made now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to stinkman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, that is not what I said. I did say Vince will play on his current contract if he can still play to that contract level. If he can't, BB will cut him. That decision won't be made until down the road. 

Look, Vince isn't going to not extend if he knows he will be cut and no one else will offer him a contract. He understands the market out there for him, and will make a decision accordingly...

he may have told BB he won't extend, give him training camp to show what he has left, and if at that time Bb isn't impressed, they part ways. The decision doesn't have to be made now.

[/QUOTE]

Except keeping Vince with his current contract eats up a lot of salary cap space which could limit the Pats' ability to sign other free agents.  If the Pats have some other signings they want to make, Vince's 11 million cap cost may need to be shed. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

Never negotiate with BB without knowledge of another offer in your back pocket....isn't this common knowledge by now? If not it should be, as every agent and player already knows. Wes and his agent were either dumb, or forgot the rules in dealing with BB....Vince may forget, his wife apparently won't forget

[/QUOTE]

If you agree that Vince has zero leverage then why would you make the prediction that he plays at his 11 million hit this year?

I think Vince takes the extension and retires a Patriot. He will negotiate as much as he can as he did for his big contract but he wants to be here, and we want him here.

And there is absolutely sentimental value with BB, you ask him the hardest decision he's ever had to make and he still, without hesitation says "Releasing Lawyer Milloy". It was the correct business decision but if Milloy had taken a bit less he would have 2 more Super Bowl rings on his hand right now...and he never made that money back from Buff or Atlanta.

Vince will take the extension.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

I don't know. But I thought it is already out they are pretty far apart...

[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen any reports about them being far apart?  Have you, if so can you post something?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I disagree.  Vince doesn't play on his current contract, even if healthy.  They won't cut him.  Big Vince will be a member of the time at least the next 2 season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If you agree that Vince has zero leverage then why would you make the prediction that he plays at his 11 million hit this year?

I think Vince takes the extension and retires a Patriot. He will negotiate as much as he can as he did for his big contract but he wants to be here, and we want him here.

And there is absolutely sentimental value with BB, you ask him the hardest decision he's ever had to make and he still, without hesitation says "Releasing Lawyer Milloy". It was the correct business decision but if Milloy had taken a bit less he would have 2 more Super Bowl rings on his hand right now...and he never made that money back from Buff or Atlanta.

Vince will take the extension.

[/QUOTE]

But I did not say that. I never said Vince has zero leverage.I said never negotiate with BB without another offer in your back pocket. Vince is negotiating or least was, so he must have another offer available to him. 

I also did not say that about sentiment. I never said it wasn't hard for the tea or for BB. I said they won't let sentiment stand in the way of making decisions, and Milloy is a good example. Whether Milloy made the right decision or not is irrelevant to my comment

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, no way the patsies ever treat their former good players that way, right?

Sections
Shortcuts