Wilfork Restructure Talks Underway

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Re: Wilfork Restructure Talks Underway

He'll restructure.  He's not going to get $11 mil or even close to that here or anywhere else.

No team would want to take the risk of an almost 33 yr. old, 350 lb.? NT coming off a serious torn achilles injury. 

The only reasons the Pats will restructure is to keep him a Patriot and if he can somewhat contribute.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Big Vince, is and will always be one my all time favorite Patriots.  I don't want to see him go, and I'm hoping he realizes a team friendly deal that can also be beneficial to him to make more millions and retire as a Pat is what's best all around.  Hopefully Bianca loves the area and the team enough to say, "What's a few million?", to her hubby? 

I know BB is going to do what's best for the team in the long run.  As much as I sometimes hate it because as a fan I can get very attached to some players, I realize he's right more often than wrong in this area.  Also, we are only a couple key pieces and some luck with health away from not only getting back to the SB, but winning it.  At such a pivotal time, if you are earning the big bucks as in 8 mill + /year, you had better be playing at a level where your name comes up a lot on ESPN.  Vince has hours worth of highlights and commenteries, but can he maintain that level of play at his age and weight after such a significant injury?  BB is famous for the quote, "It's better to cut a player a year early rather than a year late".  If Vince isn't willing to budge on his contract, prepare to raise a glass and shed a tear as Big Vince goes elsewhere. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He'll restructure.  He's not going to get $11 mil or even close to that here or anywhere else.

No team would want to take the risk of an almost 33 yr. old, 350 lb.? NT coming off a serious torn achilles injury. 

The only reasons the Pats will restructure is to keep him a Patriot and if he can somewhat contribute.

[/QUOTE]

Just to be clear, Vince is not getting $11M this year. He is getting $7.5M. His cap hit is $11M, not his salary. 

I am not sure what you or anyone thinks replacing him would cost, but surely in free agency to get a pro bowler or border line pro bowler DT will cost 4times $7.5m. To get an aging past his prime injury risk but he might have another season left like Kelly still would cost $3-4m. So for the $3-4M difference, do you want to take the chance in March that Vince isn't ready to go with something to prove in September? Why? When if he isn't ready or isn't the old Vince, cut him in August. What's the downside?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Unfortunately for Vince he is at a point in age, salary and injury wise where he is in no position to dictate anything.

[/QUOTE]

You a re correct,unless his agent already knows another team will pay him. 

Never negotiate with BB without knowledge of another offer in your back pocket....isn't this common knowledge by now? If not it should be, as every agent and player already knows. Wes and his agent were either dumb, or forgot the rules in dealing with BB....Vince may forget, his wife apparently won't forget

[/QUOTE]

+1

BB can be read like a book...why expect any major lineup changes due to big FA signings?  Won't happen...

VW?...if he cannot play up to his contract, he won't be here....it will be based on whether he plays at a $11 million cap level...if not, he will have to renegotiate or he'll be cut...we'll know that soon...BB always has the next option in hand...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Unfortunately for Vince he is at a point in age, salary and injury wise where he is in no position to dictate anything.

[/QUOTE]

Never negotiate with BB without knowledge of another offer in your back pocket....isn't this common knowledge by now? If not it should be, as every agent and player already knows. Wes and his agent were either dumb, or forgot the rules in dealing with BB....Vince may forget, his wife apparently won't forget

[/QUOTE]

+1

BB can be read like a book...why expect any major lineup changes due to big FA signings?  Won't happen...

VW?...if he cannot play up to his contract, he won't be here....it will be based on whether he plays at a $11 million cap level...if not, he will have to renegotiate or he'll be cut...we'll know that soon...BB always has the next option in hand...

[/QUOTE]

Mel, if BB lets VW play @ that cap number I will be surprised. What I think BB has a number he wants VW at. VW has until the weekend to accept.. If not then it will get very interesting.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to stinkman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1

[/QUOTE]

Mel, if BB lets VW play @ that cap number I will be surprised. What I think BB has a number he wants VW at. VW has until the weekend to accept.. If not then it will get very interesting.

[/QUOTE]

I really think the $11 cap number will be dealt with IF VW shows evidence he can play or is making major strides in his recovery...the cap situation is now extremely common and every team negotiates these final years large cap hits...and yes, this will be an interesting and frenetic week in the NFL...but here? Not so sure....that's not really BB's style...someoine on the roster will have to try to force that out of him....I don't see that happening

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just to be clear, Vince is not getting $11M this year. He is getting $7.5M. His cap hit is $11M, not his salary. 

I am not sure what you or anyone thinks replacing him would cost, but surely in free agency to get a pro bowler or border line pro bowler DT will cost 4times $7.5m. To get an aging past his prime injury risk but he might have another season left like Kelly still would cost $3-4m. So for the $3-4M difference, do you want to take the chance in March that Vince isn't ready to go with something to prove in September? Why? When if he isn't ready or isn't the old Vince, cut him in August. What's the downside?

[/QUOTE]

But why are the Pats "supposedly" talking to him about restructuring?   Is it a last ditch effort to keep him on the team out of loyalty before they have to cut him in August.  I mean if cutting him in August is the best thing then just do it.  Why are they trying to restructure?  Just so they can say they gave it a shot before they cut him?

I realize he won't be making $11M but that's what his cap hit would be and to me that's what really counts.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Something to consider is all the salary cap space a lot of these teams have heading into free agency, I'm sure Vince and his agent are aware of this. Even as a health risk I can see Vince getting 4 million per year...maybe some incentives, etc. It may just come down to weather Vince feels disrespected taking a pay cut from a team that he played his heart out for, in the end I think he stays.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The downside is you won't get any cap relief for him until you cut him.  If you want to free up cap room to sign free agents or draft picks, you want to cut Vince now, not right before the season.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But why are the Pats "supposedly" talking to him about restructuring?   Is it a last ditch effort to keep him on the team out of loyalty before they have to cut him in August.  I mean if cutting him in August is the best thing then just do it.  Why are they trying to restructure?  Just so they can say they gave it a shot before they cut him?

I realize he won't be making $11M but that's what his cap hit would be and to me that's what really counts.

[/QUOTE]

They are discussing restructuring because they want the cap space. But, first and foremost they want a healthy Vince, and if he is, they will keep him at his current number if need be. They won't know his health situation until lasted in the year, but right now he does look pretty good. Why cut him now, and regret it later? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Not sure I understand what the disagreement is here.  That the Pats and VW are in the process of renegotiating his contract has been documented.  The Pats motivation is to gain cap space.  VW doesn't want to take a pay cut but he also doesn't want to part ways with the Pats by being cut and have to seek employment elsewhere.  If the Pats have to they will, at some point advantageous to them, cut VW.  The don't want to but they will if it comes to that. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

He has a 3.5M bonus due soon doesn't he?  Just before that is when he will be cut if we cut him.  I'd take a chance on him for 4M This year if he wants a try 1. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He has a 3.5M bonus due soon doesn't he?  Just before that is when he will be cut if we cut him.  I'd take a chance on him for 4M This year if he wants a try 1. 

[/QUOTE]

No just a 7.5 million base salary, the other 3.5 or so is from his signing bonus already paid. They need to figure out the restructure asap, as if we are forced to release him we will have to go bigger in free agency or the draft.