Wilfork Staying Pat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Wilfork Staying Pat

Pun Intended. The Big fella aint going nowhere so to all the fans who bashed him last week, I guess you arent going to be rooting for him. There has been NO leaked info since the Wilfork statement and the Pats have not granted his request for release nor traded him and the Wilfork camp has been silent since that statement.

A friend of a friend is saying that is because the negotiating is still ongoing and the Pats are currently in the process of an extension.

Take it for what its worth but I have a gut he will stay also. Hopefully they find a nice way to lower his cap # in a way that works for HIM and the Pats so he can retire here. Still need to stop the run in this league or it wont matter if you have Revis. Teams will just run until they reach the endzone.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

Re: Wilfork Staying Pat

He was sitting home watching the soap opera " As Jared Allen Turns" and realized the similarities between himself and this fictional character.

"Man, if Jared at his age can't get paid, and he isn't fat and coming off surgery, what's in store for me on the open market ??"  he mused to himself during Jared's last failed attempt to get paid.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Wilfork will

a) be cut post-draft

b) be cut training camp

c) finally take a paycut and play

d) wins out and BB keeps him at current cap

My guess is A & B may most likely but C and D could easily happen as well

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Yea truth hurts sometimes.

Apologies, I see this news was already announced on this board.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

I'm happy to hear this news.  I hope Big Vince straightens up and realizes he can't perform up to his contract expectations.  A minor paycut shouldn't be too big of a deal considering the Pats have treated him very kindly over the years.  If he can be 70% of what the old Vince was, this defense will be special.  The key is getting another young DT in the draft and rotate him in so Vince stays fresh.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

Wilfork will

a) be cut post-draft

b) be cut training camp

You forgot another option that seems many on this board forget 

e) The Pats make a reasonable extension/paycut and Wilfork stays

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Wilfork will

a) be cut post-draft

b) be cut training camp

This.  I think BB probably low-balled Vince thinking he could use his injury as leverage.  Vince is a prideful guy and is probably working his azz off in rehab so I would assume he felt disrespected.  The two have tremendous respect for each other and I have no doubts that they already have or will work it out.  Vince is a Pat for life.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Given age / type of injury, risk analysis shows he is probably worth no more than $2 mil a year in todays NFL.

However, I think due to his build / strength / experience and work ethic has a chance to have a couple more pro bowl level seasons and go against the odds.

I can understand him feeling initially insulted but typically compensation in many fields goes down with age regardless of your true productivity (unless you are the owner) , for the person it effects usually takes some time to accept.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Pun Intended. The Big fella aint going nowhere so to all the fans who bashed him last week, I guess you arent going to be rooting for him. There has been NO leaked info since the Wilfork statement and the Pats have not granted his request for release nor traded him and the Wilfork camp has been silent since that statement.

A friend of a friend is saying that is because the negotiating is still ongoing and the Pats are currently in the process of an extension.

Take it for what its worth but I have a gut he will stay also. Hopefully they find a nice way to lower his cap # in a way that works for HIM and the Pats so he can retire here. Still need to stop the run in this league or it wont matter if you have Revis. Teams will just run until they reach the endzone.

I didn't notice any "bashing." A lot of folks saying he needs to get real, understand he's not 25 and he's coming off a bad injury and he's 350 lbs and he wasn't playing well when he got hurt, so his market value isn't what he might think it is. If that's bashing, then I'm guilty.

I want him back, but not at his present salary. I'd rather wish him well and have a day for him in a couple of years when his career is over.  Even if he comes back, he's not going to be the guy he used to be. I expect he'll be fine and useful on first and second down, but he's not a Pro Bowler any more. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Oh lord, Commy's madness is spreading...say it ain't so OG!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

Oh lord, Commy's madness is spreading...asay it ain't so OG!

Jabro, my sources say if was a friend of a friends friend.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:

Oh lord, Commy's madness is spreading...asay it ain't so OG!

Jabro, my sources say if was a friend of a friends friend.

Jabro, I can dig it! :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Wilfork will

a) be cut post-draft

b) be cut training camp

that falls into c imo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Have to agree.  If VW is seeing Jared Allen having trouble landing a contract quick, what are his prospects coming off an injury with a new team?

Staying here, he will still get paid mighty well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

that falls into c imo

C implies he doesn't want to take any kind of paycut initially (which might not be true), e implies the Pats wanted him to take too much of a paycut initially

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

that falls into c imo

C implies he doesn't want to take any kind of paycut initially (which might not be true), e implies the Pats wanted him to take too much of a paycut initially

gotcha

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

lol.  Any post prefaced by "a friend of a friend" said... should be automatically deleted by the Mod and said poster should be unceremoniously hung by the kahoonees.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

lol.  Any post prefaced by "a friend of a friend" said... should be automatically deleted by the Mod and said poster should be unceremoniously hung by the kahoonees.

... who knows the niece of the uncle of the locker room janitor who happened to walk by BBs office while he was meeting with Lombardi and overheard a conversation.  Solid!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

+1

No offense OG, but Commy, like Bustchise, has jumped the shark!

The absolute best solution for all parties involved is to have VW completely healthy and playing out his career with our beloved Pats.....no question about this...but, and it's a huge but (no pun  intended) is the "healthy" part...if he's not fully recovered he's got to go....sorry, that's how I feel....he's been paid well for his service, he's made 32 out of his 40 million for the present contract, he isn't looking very svelte according to many in the press who have seen him recently and he cannot afford to place ANY undue pressure on that repaired tendon...Healthy? Let's make a deal...not ready, C YA

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

I didn't notice any "bashing." A lot of folks saying he needs to get real, understand he's not 25 and he's coming off a bad injury and he's 350 lbs and he wasn't playing well when he got hurt, so his market value isn't what he might think it is. If that's bashing, then I'm guilty.

I want him back, but not at his present salary. I'd rather wish him well and have a day for him in a couple of years when his career is over.  Even if he comes back, he's not going to be the guy he used to be. I expect he'll be fine and useful on first and second down, but he's not a Pro Bowler any more. 

I can only speak for what I saw. I didnt include names but when you say bad things about his wife, his weight, his ability to bounce back ALL when noone has even seen him as of late or got any progress reports on his report, thats bashing for a guy who has given as much as he has. Sorry, thats how I saw it. Lots of fans who love anyone once he gets here and hate them once they leave or in this case, thought he was on the way out.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

wow, really?  So I guess you know nothing about jounalism. You dont give sources, esp when its 3rd party.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

+1 in spades.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

^ This works for me....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I say think TB's contract here.  He will reduce but get a solid amount of guarantees.  3 year extension, and then retire. 

My guess 3 years extended total of 20mill, 10 guaranteed over 4 years. 

So 4 years 20 mill, 10 in the pocket. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

I say think TB's contract here.  He will reduce but get a solid amount of guarantees.  3 year extension, and then retire. 

My guess 3 years extended total of 20mill, 10 guaranteed over 4 years. 

So 4 years 20 mill, 10 in the pocket. 

Without looking at the deal, my recall is his salary is $7.5 mil this year, give or take. Convert that to a combo of garanteed salary this year and signing bonus, add two or three years and his salaries in those added years in the $5 mil range, non-guaranteed. So just the $7.5 is guaranteed, and he gets all of that this year.  If he's still playing well, he stays next year at a reasonable salary. If not, there's a couple mil in dead money to deal with.

Sections
Shortcuts