Wilfork Staying Pat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Wilfork Staying Pat

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I say think TB's contract here.  He will reduce but get a solid amount of guarantees.  3 year extension, and then retire. 

My guess 3 years extended total of 20mill, 10 guaranteed over 4 years. 

So 4 years 20 mill, 10 in the pocket. 

[/QUOTE]

Without looking at the deal, my recall is his salary is $7.5 mil this year, give or take. Convert that to a combo of garanteed salary this year and signing bonus, add two or three years and his salaries in those added years in the $5 mil range, non-guaranteed. So just the $7.5 is guaranteed, and he gets all of that this year.  If he's still playing well, he stays next year at a reasonable salary. If not, there's a couple mil in dead money to deal with.

[/QUOTE]

If you did a 6 and 2 split between bonus and base this year, his cap hit this year would still be 7.6 million (4.0 from the new deal and 3.6 from the old that still has to be accounted for). That's better than 11.6 million, but still high.  Plus if you cut him next year, there's 4 million in dead money.  I can see the Pats doing that, but it would be generous.  I suspect they do something more like a 4 and 1 split (maybe with playing time incentives that could get him closer to 8 if he plays a lot) and then give him a good roster bonus if they keep him next year.  Lots of upside if he plays, but not killer on the cap if he doesn't.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If you did a 6 and 2 split between bonus and base this year, his cap hit this year would still be 7.6 million (4.0 from the new deal and 3.6 from the old that still has to be accounted for). That's better than 11.6 million, but still high.  Plus if you cut him next year, there's 4 million in dead money.  I can see the Pats doing that, but it would be generous.  I suspect they do something more like a 4 and 1 split (maybe with playing time incentives that could get him closer to 8 if he plays a lot) and then give him a good roster bonus if they keep him next year.  Lots of upside if he plays, but not killer on the cap if he doesn't.

[/QUOTE]

Well, I was thinking more of an even split and adding two years, maybe three. So the dead money would just be 2/3rds (or 3/4ths) of $3.75 mil (plus or minus). Either way, I guess it depends on how much cap space they need now and how low he'll agree to go. Maybe he takes $1 mil, if so, great. I guess we'll find out.

I'm guessing they're pretty tapped out as far as more FA deals this year, at least larger ones. Not much left in the pool anyway.  So, it doesn't seem as if they need to squeeze out every dime of space at this point. Unless they intend to sign some of their own, like McCourty.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, I was thinking more of an even split and adding two years, maybe three. So the dead money would just be 2/3rds (or 3/4ths) of $3.75 mil (plus or minus). Either way, I guess it depends on how much cap space they need now and how low he'll agree to go. Maybe he takes $1 mil, if so, great. I guess we'll find out.

I'm guessing they're pretty tapped out as far as more FA deals this year, at least larger ones. Not much left in the pool anyway.  So, it doesn't seem as if they need to squeeze out every dime of space at this point. Unless they intend to sign some of their own, like McCourty.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my math assumed a three-year deal (should have specified that). The trade off between base and bonus is really a timing issue.  If you do more in bonus and less in base, you can defer the cap hit, but you end up with more dead money if you cut the guy early.  More base and less bonus means a bigger immediate cap hit, but less dead money if you need to get out of the contract early. 

I like incentives with Vince, because it gives you the opportunity to make him whole or even better off--but only if he plays.  A roster bonus next year that's guaranteed if Vince isn't cut before the new league year also means you can guarantee some upside, but only if he comes back strong enough that you want him next year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pun Intended. The Big fella aint going nowhere so to all the fans who bashed him last week, I guess you arent going to be rooting for him. There has been NO leaked info since the Wilfork statement and the Pats have not granted his request for release nor traded him and the Wilfork camp has been silent since that statement.

A friend of a friend is saying that is because the negotiating is still ongoing and the Pats are currently in the process of an extension.

Take it for what its worth but I have a gut he will stay also. Hopefully they find a nice way to lower his cap # in a way that works for HIM and the Pats so he can retire here. Still need to stop the run in this league or it wont matter if you have Revis. Teams will just run until they reach the endzone.

[/QUOTE]

triple i posted info on this yesterday. see thread.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

VINCE's gut tells me he's GONE. Pun intended. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

VINCE's gut tells me he's GONE. Pun intended. 

[/QUOTE]

Haha!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Yes he is.

Oh, wait.  I thought the post was titled Wilfork Staying Fat.

Sorry, my bad.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

hate to see it, but I think if he doesn't restruture the contract, he's done as a Patriot.

BB has found his replacement last season, plus we have 2 new awesome CBs,

the defense still needs a tweak or two, and it will be better than last year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

hate to see it, but I think if he doesn't restruture the contract, he's done as a Patriot.

BB has found his replacement last season, plus we have 2 new awesome CBs,

the defense still needs a tweak or two, and it will be better than last year.

[/QUOTE]

Which guy on that run D that gave up almost 5 ypc is fat vince's replacement?  Just curius.  It seemed like they just played with a DT the way teams were plowing up the middle.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Pats probably biding their time waiting for FA money to dry up. Cutting need not be done until it needs to be done. Every day that goes by increases the prospects that a likely team such as the Bills spends money elsewhere.

If they solidify a signing like Allen, they can always cut VW free and grab the big cap dollars at that point.

It's pretty clear that there is no way in hell VW is getting those big bucks by the Pats just paying out the contract.

My guess is they are squeezing him hard to redo at a couple million. If a sack guy like Allen doesn't get a big payday then a run stuffer like Vince is dogmeat.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pats probably biding their time waiting for FA money to dry up. Cutting need not be done until it needs to be done. Every day that goes by increases the prospects that a likely team such as the Bills spends money elsewhere.

If they solidify a signing like Allen, they can always cut VW free and grab the big cap dollars at that point.

It's pretty clear that there is no way in hell VW is getting those big bucks by the Pats just paying out the contract.

My guess is they are squeezing him hard to redo at a couple million. If a sack guy like Allen doesn't get a big payday then a run stuffer like Vince is dogmeat.

[/QUOTE]

I don't see him coming back , after he let the pats off with his demand to be cut, If you look at the zFAs available there are several past prime and even a few in prime players who might fill some depth. Harrison, sims etc see the FA list discussed on the patd page. Witness 0 m plus vows 8 m we can get some good depth guys, short term. And have room for draft choices and in season emergency

? What happens if a team runs out of cap space, are they not allowed to sung someone for the minimum?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Free-UB. Show Free-UB's posts

man, the rampant wild speculations on this board is jarring and shocking esp when peeps b talking about sources. only the commy actually has sources from what i can see. but man, that guy peees in a lake and all the sheep follow.. where's the creativity and initiative? everyone has to be lackey China, where are the original U_S_A U_S_A folks around here? where's silicon valley, opposed to silicone valley? lastly, i b expecting better strict journalism on this here board. facts should b checked, re-checked and double checked then checked again before stuff gets posted....

click click .. please dont let it be a speculative jabro opinion... noooooo!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to Free-UB's comment:
    [QUOTE]

man, the rampant wild speculations on this board is jarring and shocking esp when peeps b talking about sources. only the commy actually has sources from what i can see. but man, that guy peees in a lake and all the sheep follow.. where's the creativity and initiative? everyone has to be lackey China, where are the original U_S_A U_S_A folks around here? where's silicon valley, opposed to silicone valley? lastly, i b expecting better strict journalism on this here board. facts should b checked, re-checked and double checked then checked again before stuff gets posted....

click click .. please dont let it be a speculative jabro opinion... noooooo!

[/QUOTE]

Ha ha you post about yourself? And I thought jints was megatool.  Apparently there's camp competition. 

Sections
Shortcuts