Wilfork turned down 23 mil in signing bonus from Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmadmax82. Show bmadmax82's posts

Wilfork turned down 23 mil in signing bonus from Pats

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Patriots-expected-to-franchise-Wilfork?urn=nfl,218978

VW supposedly turned down a deal which had 23 mil in guarantee. That's some good dough. I wonder what kind of money he is looking for. I think the biggest contract extension was awarded to Sey, with 3 year/30 mil, 24 of which was guaranteed. I don't know if Pats would be willing to pay VW anymore than they have offered. I guess time to tag him, and if he is grumpy, trade him for a possible 1st round pick in this draft.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Re: Wilfork turned down 23 mil in signing bonus from Pats

Thats what I have said all along... and I wouldn't go much more then what was offered.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

This is sad. VW has been a great soldier and a great player. He would have signed a reasonable contract. The Pats kept saying that they had reasons to drag this out. I really hope that they had GOOD reason. Because now they have a disgruntled employee looking to take them to the cleaners..

I don't want the Pats to mortgage the the team for any one player. But they need to keep the lines of communication open with thier guys that have expiring contracts.

In Biil we STILL trust.. But it's begining to wear a little thin.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tamayo2431. Show tamayo2431's posts

damn man, thats bad. He is being greedy then, because $23 million guaranteed plus salary and bonuses is more than enough. I guess he ate too much humble pie and now he is tired of it :/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

This will get ugly because offers don't usually increase once they are rejected.  The longer the time that passes, the less the team offers.  If this story is true, it sounds like Vince knows his value to the Pats and thinks he'll do better elsewhere.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

In Response to Re: Wilfork turned down 23 mil in signing bonus from Pats:
    This is sad. VW has been a great soldier and a great player. He would have signed a reasonable contract. The Pats kept saying that they had reasons to drag this out. I really hope that they had GOOD reason. Because now they have a disgruntled employee looking to take them to the cleaners.. I don't want the Pats to mortgage the the team for any one player. But they need to keep the lines of communication open with thier guys that have expiring contracts. In Biil we STILL trust.. But it's begining to wear a little thin.
    Posted by justme2

It looks like he really doesn't want to sign a reasonable contract. He was already offered one. He's looking to be paid the highest for his position. He already has rings, so early sucess has apparently spoiled him. The big contract is all that is left to achieve.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

See ya. Don't let the door hit you in the a&&^

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

$23 million is a little steep for the international house of pancakes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Sounds like a decent offer. Oh well tag him. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBRULES23. Show BBRULES23's posts

If Wilfork turned down 23 mil, I say trade him!  Sign Brady and use the extra cash for a solid #3 WR.  Their be plenty of dough left to sign quality defensive players.  Putting that much money on one player, cap or no cap is outright stupid.  Love Vince, but he alone isn't going to turn this defense around.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

This is ludicrous. Kris Jenkins was signed for $9.5 million in guaranteed dollars over six seasons. They likely just offered to almost DOUBLE the going rate for a top NT. 

Wilfork is half the player that Jenkins is, so forget him. Let him fleece some other team. 

As this is likely the last season where teams will be able to tag and trade . . .  they should avail themselves of the chance. If he won't sign the tender, let him sit out TWO seasons, as the labor situation is not set for 2011, so potentially, this guy could make it to FA by the time he is on the wrong side of 30. 

Tag him, trade him for a first, and get out of dodge. 

Sign someone like Casey Hampton, who is actually better at defending the run. And use the netted selection to grab someone enticing. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

I guess his version and the front office's version of a hometown discount were quite different

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Yes the word is SUPPOSEDLY  turned down that offer!!  Why should any of believe what's reported in the media. So you read this story and now dump all over Wilfork. ?? and just kick his a** out, you guys crack me up!!  You'll be the first ones whining when he not around next year and I think he deserves that kind of money. Leave it to the Patriots to wring every last penny out of one of their best players.
    Here's what it said--The Patriots supposedly offered him an extension in October that included a signing bonus that may have been as high as $23 million. And Wilfork said no. Yow.

Please note AGAIN supposedly and MAY HAVE BEEN 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I wonder about this story.  I don't see it anywhere else.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I dont really care.  He signs or he does not sign.  When we didn't have him in, and played 4-3, I liked our defense better. Lets just tag and trade, get some decent sized NTs and switch to a a 4-3.  Everybody and his brother is playing a 3-4 now, and its getting too hard to find those players.  Draft up some DTs and NTs, get FAs, whatever.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

If we franchise him, can we really get a first round pick? That seems like a lot for a player with only one year on their contract

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

First: 6/5/2008
    Last: 2/11/2010
    NEGAME you have the most level head on this thread.
    I hate rumors since most are false and we do not nor does the media 90+% of what goes on during negotiations, the FO or in the clubhouse.

Yes the word is SUPPOSEDLY  turned down that offer!!  Why should any of believe what's reported in the media. So you read this story and now dump all over Wilfork. ?? and just kick his a** out, you guys crack me up!!  You'll be the first ones whining when he not around next year and I think he deserves that kind of money. Leave it to the Patriots to wring every last penny out of one of their best players.
    Here's what it said--The Patriots supposedly offered him an extension in October that included a signing bonus that may have been as high as $23 million. And Wilfork said no. Yow.

Please note AGAIN supposedly and MAY HAVE BEEN 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Sure agree with the person that has the pretty avatar.  $23 million seem like a very fair number to not be a hoax.  It's not like they reported he turned down $35 million guaranteed.  Then I would tend not to believe it.

Here for credibility purposes.

Just kidding.  You can never have enough pretty girls in a thread.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

hahaha. Tcal must be right

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Tcal2 what ever you said sure, I didn't read any of it but if your words are as good as the picture I'm convinced.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J.Bolt. Show J.Bolt's posts

Looks like he's going to the fish to close it out.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-pats-fan. Show can-pats-fan's posts

Why are you people listening to this bogus story.  The Pats never make these things public. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

no deal was offered.but possibly in the works.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

zbellino said some pretty smart stuff, then there was some other posters, and then another guy said something which I thought I liked as well...but I'm gonna have to jump in with Gamer and the brunette's premise, who's overall tag-team of penetrating & awe-inspiring thoughts were definately money, beautifully played out, and left me in the end-yearning for more. 

Sections
Shortcuts