Wilfork turned down 23 mil in signing bonus from Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Re: Wilfork turned down 23 mil in signing bonus from Pats

Agreed bmadmax82, I have a friend who writes for a medium sized market news paper and he told me (and I have passed this on many times in the past to people on this board) that when you hear words like "Suposedly" or "un-named source" all that means is the information is basicly correct as it was told to the reporter and it has been verrified by a second source before it hits print. If a reporter doesn't get a second source on these type of reports they won't be a reporter very long.

Now to the meat of this thread... there is no reason to feel like this team is dead w/o VW. If he isn't going to take a deal in the neighborhood of what was offered and you can bet it was in the neighborhood of that number north of 20 million guaranteed then it is just as important a move to franchise and move him and take that first round pick and spin it for a player that is going to be a big piece of this team for at least the next 4-5 years. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

I don't see how anyone would consider making a two down nose tackle your highest paid player.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

My wife worked in military public affairs during the time of September 11th 2001.  Papers were running stories that the 101st airborne was deploying to Afghanistan on this day or that day.  One TV station called and said the Washington Post has an unnamed source that says you are deploying on "this date."  She simply told them the truth, that there was no date set for any deployment.  They said would run the story if she couldn't give her more information, all she could say was that using someone else's unnamed source as a source was not a good idea.  On the national news they ran a story showing that the 101st was conducting "special training" for deployment and it was a sign that they would deploy any minute.  They showed video of people training at the Air assault school that the 101st runs.  Ofcourse the Air assaust school has been training people every day of every week for as far back as anyone can remember and the video of training could have been shot anytime, the school had not changed anything.  The 101st did eventually deploy, but none of those rumors got the date correct.  When the Army figured out when they would go they released the date to the public well in advance of the deployment.  When I went to Iraq we would all laugh at the news when they would report on an event that we were involved in.  They never got anything correct, it was is if they just made things up.  I can tell you it is quite entertaining to sit at you're house and watch on the news that you have just deployed to a different country.

My point is, I would be very skeptical of anything reported.  When a credited source releases the story they get it right, but when they use "unnamed sources" my experience tells me they are usually about 90% wrong.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

oh, well he's probably gonna get tagged and traded. if he was offered a deal he shoulda took it. like TB stated: "we're all overpaid"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Wilfork turned down 23 mil in signing bonus from Pats:
    Sure agree with the person that has the pretty avatar.  $23 million seem like a very fair number to not be a hoax.  It's not like they reported he turned down $35 million guaranteed.  Then I would tend not to believe it. Here for credibility purposes. Just kidding.  You can never have enough pretty girls in a thread.
    Posted by Tcal2

Great pic

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

This is sad. VW has been a great soldier and a great player. He would have signed a reasonable contract. The Pats kept saying that they had reasons to drag this out. I really hope that they had GOOD reason. Because now they have a disgruntled employee looking to take them to the cleaners.. I don't want the Pats to mortgage the the team for any one player. But they need to keep the lines of communication open with thier guys that have expiring contracts. In Biil we STILL trust.. But it's begining to wear a little thin.
    Posted by justme2

The Pats had very good reasons for "dragging this out". Remember, next year is an uncapped year. No salary cap means that the Pats won't be punished cap-wise for paying Vince big money next year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Jim and Negame, No one is going to offer the reporters any stories about the negotiations going behind the curtain in Foxboro.
    TRUE 

They get their info from certain sources.
    Most of which are BS

Since there is no concrete piece of evidence supporting this 23 mil number, hence they use the word supposedly. Again, there must be some truth to this number because the reports cannot publish articles/rumors out of thin air.
    You can not be serious about the thin air thing. Far too many times we have seen totally false rumors published by the media. You always see them saying guys have talked to this or that team and after they sign with another team you find out they never even spoke to that the teams the media mentioned. The media does a ton of speculation
    aka: "Out of thin air"

I feel that the number might be scaled up/down, but imo, a similar offer must have been made as Mike Reiss of ESPN reported that Pats Wilfork talk started to heat up during week 3 (after the Atlanta game) and then fizzled out. It is possible that this amt of money was offered and Vince said NO.
    I'm not saying there was no offer. I'm saying people are throwing Wilfolk under the bus on the premise of a freakin' RUMOR. Which is totally dumb

Posted by bmadmax82

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

$23 million guarenteed would've got the job done 2 years ago, but the market has changed.  That's the risk you run not signing your own players to extensions a year before they're set to become FAs.  The Haynesworth and D. Ware contracts blew the market up.  I don't think VW is in the same league as those two guys, but that's what his demands are more likely to resemble.  So I think the Patriots will play it safe, franchise VW and if there's no progress towards a long term extension as we approach the draft they'll take trade offers for him.  I'm pretty sure they'd get at least a 1st round pick from teams like Denver, Miami and San Diego. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"$23 million guarenteed would've got the job done 2 years ago, but the market has changed.  That's the risk you run not signing your own players to extensions a year before they're set to become FAs.  The Haynesworth and D. Ware contracts blew the market up.  I don't think VW is in the same league as those two guys, but that's what his demands are more likely to resemble.  So I think the Patriots will play it safe, franchise VW and if there's no progress towards a long term extension as we approach the draft they'll take trade offers for him.  I'm pretty sure they'd get at least a 1st round pick from teams like Denver, Miami and San Diego." 

ShiningWizard and ALL:

~Wizard, I completely agree with your latter scenario on what I'm now hoping that The Patriot's Franchise NOW does in regards to Vince Wilfork...

Yet, With your first comment...Even though I completely hear what you're saying (and agree in large part), Imho-ANY judgement is totally premature (and to be honest, there were judgements on this thread far harsher pertaining to both camps, than yours was).  I too, agree with ShiningWizard, In that Vince Wilfork's "supposed" offer of $23 mil as his "supposed" Signing Bonus, Is An Absurdly Fair Amount for a Top Nosetackle...  NOW, Wilfork is obviously looking for Top 5 Defensive Tackle Money...and that's Completely Wrong (again "IF").

Right at this juncture however, I gotta reserve my Complete Judgement, for either party...Vince or N.E.'s Front Office (and not simply due to the "unamed source" aspect of the $23 mil deal).  But considering, I have NO idea WHEN Wilfork was in fact offered that deal, Or WHAT Amount Wilfork trully does want... 

~Instead I'm left with rather, Hearing about Vince Wilfork's "...having to look out for My Family" Garbage, All the while not knowing IF Wilfork turned down an extremely fair, reasonable, and wealthy contract from My Team...  AND From The New England Front Office of ex-CIA members, I'm left hearing "NOTHING" as usual-in regards to When, The Amount, or even If regarding Wilfork's situation...  In the end, I understand where BOTH sides are coming from: With Wilfork wanting top-CURRENT-dollar for his abilities, As well as Patriots FO needing top-SECRECY (regarding all offers for VW)...BUT it becomes extremely hard to empathize, heck-even sympathize with EITHER of the two camps...  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from arthurchandler7. Show arthurchandler7's posts

http://www.insuranceofmass.com I think they should pay this guy, he plays hard, he plays hurt, he is good for the team and he doesn't cause waves and of course he is a good player

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

ne game got game...what up ma?? holla  who cares about wilfork!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

whoa  pinky is even hotter...cant holla at her though...but it is nice eye candy...
    good looks on the post!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from alcondragon. Show alcondragon's posts

Yes the word is SUPPOSEDLY  turned down that offer!!  Why should any of believe what's reported in the media. So you read this story and now dump all over Wilfork. ?? and just kick his a** out, you guys crack me up!!  You'll be the first ones whining when he not around next year and I think he deserves that kind of money. Leave it to the Patriots to wring every last penny out of one of their best players. Here's what it said--The Patriots supposedly offered him an extension in October that included a signing bonus that may have been as high as $23 million. And Wilfork said no. Yow. Please note AGAIN supposedly and MAY HAVE BEEN 
    Posted by NEGAME

To be honest NEGAME, it doesnt matter if it is real or not. When yo uhave someone like Tom Brady that took less money and even thanked the team for doing so it should tell you something. Football is a TEAM sport and Brady treated it as such knowing he needed help. Vince is good but he is not the entire team, and by getting greedy and knowing this team needs new players, he is not interrested in working with them, he wants it ALL FOR HIM.  Thats ok but you know what, let him go do that on another team, because there is no "I" in team, just ask Tom Brady. And when Big Forehead gets his big money deal, lets see how much team he has around him. The GREED IS KILLING ALL SPORTS I use to go to BAseball games in Boston, but now I save my money so my family can eat for a week. It has become very very stupid

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

I understand Vince's anger, but that said, he should have never agreed to a 6 year deal.

The reality is that despite his statements, the Pats hold all the cards. My guess, is that his agent already has a better deal lined up with another team, which is perfectly acceptable.

I hope we can get a #1 in this draft for him, rather than force him to remain for another year on the tag.