will AD beat ED's record? is he the best you have ever seen?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Re: will AD beat ED's record? is he the best you have ever seen?

When it's all said and done, Law Firm will be the greatest back ever!!!!  2000 yards next year, Babe told me so. (thou his ypc will still be below the league avg.)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 42AND46's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think it's a very very long shot to think a back can start a game and get over two hundred yards, so I don't think he'll be breaking this record. Even if GB is not playing for anything, it's still something hard to do...if GB decides to put 8 in the box the entire game it'll be real tough.

Peterson the best I've seen? I don't know, he's pretty darn good. I alway liked watching Barry Sanders, but he didn't have a lot of power. Emmit was a product of his line. Curtis Martin was good at everything, but he didn't have as much speed or power as Peterson. LT was pretty darn good in his prime and as much as I can't stand him, he deserves to be mentioned with the top guys. I liked watching Eddie George when he was young...same type of upright runner as Peterson, but really none of them could do what Peterson does. I'd have to say Peterson is the best...he's pretty much all Minnesota has, yet he can't be stopped. 

[/QUOTE]

that's not fair and a gross overstatement...you don't get 20K only because of your line

that's like saying babe ruth was a product of the short porch only

[/QUOTE]

I hate to defend Cupcake, but he's saying that Smith had an all world line as compared to someone like Barry Sanders.

In other words, Sanders and Walter Payton were actually better because they had bad O Lines their enire career (excpet for Payton right at the end).

[/QUOTE]

oh i agree smith had a great O line and a loaded team and i don't put him with sanders or payton

i just think to attribute it to his O line in such a dismissive fashion is both overstating the case and unfair-Smith was a helluva RB, in college too and even with the advantages he had he did rack up 20,000 yards-that's impressive no matter what

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

No defense wants a guy to get a rushing record on them. I say the Packers D is going to be out to play hard, regardless who they have in there playing D.  These guys are way to competitive to let AP go out and rush for 208 on them and break this record.

One thing for sure, Dickerson was a fun guy to watch run the ball.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

This is what, about the 6th season for AP? Speaks to his immense talent that he can already be in this discussion.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Best Ever is soooooo hard. Jim Brown dominated his era more than any RB ever has. He was averaging about 100 yards per game for his career and had a perfect blend of power and speed.

Sayers was amazing and had more power than the casual fan even at that time might have realized. And his combination of moves, quickness and speed were showcased not only as a RB but as a punt and KO returner.

I am not sure I ever saw a more powerful back whose top speed was as fast as a DB as Earl Campbell. In his prime he might be THE greatest back ever. As much power as Czonka (Bettis, etc.) and as much top speed as anyone would need to run 80 yards without being caught.

Bo Jackson will always be the ghost hanging over any discussion. With football as a "hobby" after baseball season he was like Campbell and Brown in that he had a great combination of speed and power but in his case his speed was off the charts. More like Chris Johnson speed! Truly amazing back. HE is the IF... If he had had even half of a career my money would be on Bo as THE BEST EVER. But we will never know for sure.

Walter Peyton was perhaps the least gifted of all the greatest of the great backs. But he had enormous determination. More than that, he had a great blend of instincts and quickness and power. Together these three elements either made a defensive player miss or not get enough of a direct hit to stop him. And sometimes direct hits were not enough to overcome his stregnth and toughness. He was also a great blocker and dependable and dangerous receiver.

Marshall Faulk was perhaps the best at combining running skills and receiving skills (sort of like an even better version of Lenny Moore who played for the Colts in the late 50s through much of the 60s). Great receiver. Good power. Great, great quickness. Good speed. Tremendous instincts. Many here are familiar with Kevin Faulk, his cousin. Marshall was like everything Kevin was but at a higher level. Especially in top speed. As an all purppose back you could make the case for Marshall Faulk as the best all purpose back ever (though Sayers makes a case if you look for punt and kick off returning more than receiving).

Eric Dickerson was a bit like Peterson in that he prefered to run north and south but had good open field moves, had a high top speed and ran very hard with great power and didnt shrink from using his power. With Dickerson you are talking about a Bo Jackson type in that there is enough speed to overshadow the power that is truly there.

Peterson is impressive in so many ways. But watch when contact is made. He seems to be slowed down due to contact less than almost anyone I have seen before. Somehow he just seems to keep moving. Not just moving his feet. I mean moving over the ground as if no one has touched him yet. So it seems like he never has to excellerate as much after contact because he never slowed down. When he does excellerate it is almost directly to top speed. And his instincts past the line of scrimage are impeccable.

Barry Sanders - I guess he is the most amazing RB to watch. Nowhere near the power of this group of RBs. But every run was almost like watching Devin Hester return punts and kick offs. No matter where the play was designed to go, if the line didnt create the hole Sanders might end up anywhere on the field running circles around the entire D. If you never saw any of these RBs run Sanders is THE one to watch. How did he do that???

There are some others who could be mentioned. OJ Simpson. John Riggins. Marion Motley. Emmit Smith, etc. I may have overlooked someone in speaking off the cuff but the above group is the group to talk about. It is hard to say who is THE best ever. And what talents do you include? How important is power when you are Barry Sanders. But why not have both power and speed as with Bo, or Jim Brown, or Peterson or Dickerson or Campbell... How important is their receiving ability? In todays league the passing game is sooo critically important. So a guy like Marshall Faulk could be devastating in both the passing and running game and so be that much more valuable. Imagine Faulk playing with Brady (as his cousin did) or with Peyton Manning! Or a guy like Sayers who could give you Hester like production as a returner too!

If you want an all purpose back I would say Marshall Faulk.

If you want pure talent where speed and power and just plain greatness carrying the ball at the peak of their abilities and are not worried about their numbers lifetime (at all) then Bo Jackson or, if his time is just too limited for you to feel OK about it, then Earl Campbell.

If you want how much they dominated above and beyond their peers then Jim Brown.

If you want the most dangerous then Barry Sanders.

If you want power, speed and lifetime statistics then perhaps Dickerson.

We will see about Peterson but he is certainly a viable choice - you can make a case for him now.

[/QUOTE]

Just an excellent post.

Never saw Jim Brown play, other than highlights. I do remember Sayers as a young kid, and he sort of defined what a running back was to me. Best I ever saw.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Not the best statistically, but my personal old school favorites were Riggins and Dorsett. Terrell Davis was great for a brief period as well.

Not sure Fred Taylor will get much HOF consideration, but he went from "Fragile Fred" to the 15th all time leading rusher playing on mostly mediocre teams.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Loved Riggins also.  As far as Peterson goes not the best but is an exciting RB.  To me Sanders was it.  Amazing how he could make people miss.  Brown was interesting.  Every time he got tackled he would get up so slow that you thought he was hurt.   Brown would just lie there on the ground after everybody was up.  I'm surprised no RB today doesn't do this.  Let the defense think you're dinged and then rip 'em.  Another fave was Chuck Foreman, another Viking.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to garytx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Loved Riggins also.  As far as Peterson goes not the best but is an exciting RB.  To me Sanders was it.  Amazing how he could make people miss.  Brown was interesting.  Every time he got tackled he would get up so slow that you thought he was hurt.   Brown would just lie there on the ground after everybody was up.  I'm surprised no RB today doesn't do this.  Let the defense think you're dinged and then rip 'em.  Another fave was Chuck Foreman, another Viking.

[/QUOTE]

another all-time Jets blunder that haunted them forever: letting Riggins walk

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Cory Dillion baby.   The guy was on the pitiful bengals.  Had no qb and still held the team on his back.   Look what happened when he had a real team.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cory Dillion baby.   The guy was on the pitiful bengals.  Had no qb and still held the team on his back.   Look what happened when he had a real team.  

[/QUOTE]

Boy I loved him. Not quite in the VERY best of all time but absolutely a HOF RB in my book.

Sections
Shortcuts