WIll BB go with 2 or 3 QBs?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaPete. Show TampaPete's posts

WIll BB go with 2 or 3 QBs?

After last night's performance by Mallett, has Hoyer become expendable?  Will BB trade him now because of the jammed roster or will he wait to get more value for him next offseason?  The Pats went with Hoyer as the only backup QB on the 53 when Hoyer was a rookie.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Re: WIll BB go with 2 or 3 QBs?

I think Hoyer will be gone if the Pats can get a 2nd this year

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I think Mallett is the future of the Patriots at QB but even with that said Hoyer has comported himself in a professional manner since his arrival and that being the case I believe that BB goes with 3 QB's. Only way he parts with either of the b/u's is if he is overwhelmed in a trade... Also take this into consideration neither of these guys has worked in another offensive scheme in the pros and with the shortened pre-season therre probably isn't enough time too make the adjustments needed for a successful transition.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Don't be silly!!  Hoyer isn't going anywhere this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

is this a serious question? trade hoyer after 2 quarters of work?

TRololo.

BB will keep 3 Qb's Late season Hoyer will be showcased like the prize horse that he is for the offseason 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I doubt BB will want a rookie as a backup.  I suspect we keep three all year to give Mallet time to develop, then BB will decide what to do at the end of the season.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

belichick said in a post-draft press conference that the pats had gambled before only having two and would have three this year

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

3 i believe that woth the new CBA teams are required to have 3 QB's one of which does not count against the game day 45 man roster.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

Mallet isn't ready to go yet. Even though he looked good last night Hoyer is the backup this year and they aren't trading Mallet so they will go with 3 QB's. That's the reason they added an extra roster spot to teams..So they could keep 3 Qb's if they wanted without having to cut somebody that will actually play every week.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

3 QBs for sure.  Brady is 34 years old.  Yes he's great, but if he does get hurt then he could be slow to recover.

With any luck Brady will get by unscathed, which is Hoyer's tough luck, not to mention the rest of the NFL's tough luck.  If Brady does get hurt, the 2011 train keeps on rolling.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: WIll BB go with 2 or 3 QBs?:
    [QUOTE]I think Hoyer will be gone if the Pats can get a 2nd this year
    Posted by msteven[/QUOTE]

No way that happens. It's too late for a team to pick up a young QB like Hoyer, and assimilate him into their offense. The Pats will have to keep three QBs this year...and try to trade one of them to one of the losers of the Andrew Luck sweepstakes, just prior to next years' draft.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Roll with 3 this year and give Hoyer and Mallett as much garbage time as possible during games. Time to feature them, given some more game experience and then sort it out end of season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaPete. Show TampaPete's posts

The new rule does not affect the 53-man roster. Teams are not required to keep three QBs on the 53.

This is from NBC Sports: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/22/nfl-drops-third-quarterback-rule-46-active-players-on-game-day/

"The owners and players have agreed to expand game day rosters from 45 to 46 active players. The No. 3 quarterback will no longer be an "emergency" inactive player.

"In other words, a team can insert its third-string quarterback for a short period at any point in the game, then take him out and put the starter back in. Previously, the first and second quarterbacks couldn’t re-enter the game if the No. 3 quarterback played before the fourth quarter.

"...the most likely result of the change to 46 active players on Sundays may just be that teams will add another active player at another position and keep two quarterbacks active on Sundays. For most teams, having extra depth at another position will be more useful than the ability to insert the third quarterback into the game whenever they please."

I hope that clarifies the new rule a bit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

[QUOTE]The new rule does not affect the 53-man roster. Teams are not required to keep three QBs on the 53. This is from NBC Sports: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/22/nfl-drops-third-quarterback-rule-46-active-players-on-game-day/ "The owners and players have agreed to expand game day rosters from 45 to 46 active players. The No. 3 quarterback will no longer be an "emergency" inactive player. "In other words, a team can insert its third-string quarterback for a short period at any point in the game, then take him out and put the starter back in. Previously, the first and second quarterbacks couldn’t re-enter the game if the No. 3 quarterback played before the fourth quarter. "...the most likely result of the change to 46 active players on Sundays may just be that teams will add another active player at another position and keep two quarterbacks active on Sundays. For most teams, having extra depth at another position will be more useful than the ability to insert the third quarterback into the game whenever they please." I hope that clarifies the new rule a bit.
    Posted by TampaPete[/QUOTE]

I didn't say they were but merely that that was the motivation behind the rule change. When they did away with emergency QB status they also added the roster spot to accomodate that and I think the Pats will take advantage of the rule in the spirit it was intended.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]I think Hoyer will be gone if the Pats can get a 2nd this year
    Posted by msteven[/QUOTE]

but when, that's what ive been asking people to guess on other threads.
    during this yr, after, during next, or after next?
    mallet cant step in for brady if need be at the moment, so it's way too early for me.
    and the more he plays, better the pick gets.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Reality check. Mallet has done nothing. Hoyer has done nothing. Nothing + nothing = nothing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Second round pick for Hoyer and the team that offers that deserves to finish dead last every year for the next 5 years.  There are some desperate teams out there but a second round pick for Hoyer?  Get real! 

BB goes with 3 Qb's this season, we should put all this talk about our backups on the back burner until next season. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I see them keeping 3 this year. But Hoyer wil be gone next year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

three

Sections
Shortcuts