Will BB use the resources

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Will BB use the resources

It is time to make some moves to address the DL which means trading draft choices to move up in the draft, and paying those draft choices high slot $$$. 

I would think getting into that 6-13 range allows the Pats to choose a DL that can tutor under Vince and Kelly, and hopefully grow into a cornerstone. BB has done a great job identifying DL, but hasn't had the draft slot to choose the player. This seems to be the year he needs to get into position to address that need....will he use the resources for such a move? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Will BB use the resources

There are a lot of factors that go into this decision.  What draft picks the Pats are starting with, who is available, what their potential trading partners demand, what other needs the Pats have.  I think BB is willing to trade up, though, if he thinks there's someone worth trading for, and with the rookie salary cap, the cap cost of drafting high isn't nearly as bad as it used to be.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

As Pro has stated there are many factors that have to be looked at.

Is there a DL/DT that BB feels fits his scheme? I am sure there will be talent available but it doesn't matter what we think or how much talent the player has unless BB thinks he is a fit.

As always with them based on history and the model they follow value is always paramount regardless of what we think.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

It is time to make some moves to address the DL which means trading draft choices to move up in the draft, and paying those draft choices high slot $$$. 

I would think getting into that 6-13 range allows the Pats to choose a DL that can tutor under Vince and Kelly, and hopefully grow into a cornerstone. BB has done a great job identifying DL, but hasn't had the draft slot to choose the player. This seems to be the year he needs to get into position to address that need....will he use the resources for such a move? 

I'm not sure why they can't stay where thley are and get a good DL. Yes, the Wilfork types tend to fall in that teens region but you can still find really good DL (like a Wilkerson) in the 25-50 range. They could stay put and grab one because I do think BB has an eye for DL but I don't think where he has been getting them lately is the area with the most talent. Imo I think he believes he can coach up lower talented guys and get similar production which clearly isn't the case if that's what he is indeed thinking

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I am thinking the next Sey or Vince....I dont think that player is out there at 26-32...

Yes, talent is available in every round, but I am looking for the next guy after Vince that will be in multiple pro bowls

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I am thinking the next Sey or Vince....I dont think that player is out there at 26-32...

Yes, talent is available in every round, but I am looking for the next guy after Vince that will be in multiple pro bowls

Not sure that guy is out there in this years draft. You know I'm good at picking DT's in the draft and short of Nix (how might play himself into a top 10 pick) there isn't one I can see that would be worth moving up past the 25 for, at this point. I do love both Ra'Shede Hageman from Minn and I love Daniel McCullers potential but both players are most likely back of 1st to early 3rd type of players at this point.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Not sure that guy is out there in this years draft. You know I'm good at picking DT's in the draft and short of Nix (how might play himself into a top 10 pick) there isn't one I can see that would be worth moving up past the 25 for, at this point. I do love both Ra'Shede Hageman from Minn and I love Daniel McCullers potential but both players are most likely back of 1st to early 3rd type of players at this point.

Nix is the one who caught my eye as well, and I agree potential top 10 pick, which is the reason I posted will BB spend the resources (draft choices and high slot salary) on a player that needs to be chosen 6-13

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

over the past 12-13 years, how often has BB traded up for a high first round pick?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Nix is the one who caught my eye as well, and I agree potential top 10 pick, which is the reason I posted will BB spend the resources (draft choices and high slot salary) on a player that needs to be chosen 6-13

That's a huge jump from hopefully the 28-32 range to 6-13. Think of the Julio jones type of deal and I can't see BB making that trade. Actually, given BB's comments towards that trade I honestly can't see him making it, which is why if he does move I'm thinking more like a Hightower or Jones type of move up (5 or less picks)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

BB won't draft for need, he'll draft for fit.  And he'll likely only move up if there is a sure thing prospect. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

BB won't draft for need, he'll draft for fit.  And he'll likely only move up if there is a sure thing prospect. 

He does all the time

• Brace because Wilforks contract was up in the air
    • Hern and Gronk because we had no TE's
    • Butler, McCourty, Ras, Ryan because we had no CB's
    • Jones because we had no pass rusher
    • Solder because they weren't going to keep Light past one more year
    • All the WRs this year because we had none
    • T. Wilson and Harmon because we had a hole at SS

Actually, the last 5 years or so BB has drafted mostly need in the earlier rounds

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

He does all the time

• Brace because Wilforks contract was up in the air
    • Hern and Gronk because we had no TE's
    • Butler, McCourty, Ras, Ryan because we had no CB's
    • Jones because we had no pass rusher
    • Solder because they weren't going to keep Light past one more year
    • All the WRs this year because we had none
    • T. Wilson and Harmon because we had a hole at SS

Actually, the last 5 years or so BB has drafted mostly need in the earlier rounds

Well, via that logic, every team drafts for "need". AFAIC, a "need" pick is a pick that fills an immediate "need". (and by "immediate", I mean the coming season -- not in preparation for any coming seasons, and potential needs then). Furthermore, a need pick often means you're bypassing superior talent in order to fill a hole on your team with a less capable player.

The Solder pick, I really don't think that can be argued as a "need" pick. It was based on a predicted future hole, but the team didn't need a LT going into that season. Again, I don't think the Hernandez pick could be coined a "need" pick. Ditto with the Ryan and Harmon picks. Our secondary was thin at that point, but there was no glaring hole.

Perhaps it's a matter of semantics, but I don't think Belichick has picked solely based on "need" recently. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

You are not a GM. The arrogance of you questioning what BB should and shouldn't do. It's just fascinating.

The next time you are in an earshot of BB, please ask him this stupid question, record it on film and then upload it to You Tube so we can see him slap you.

Could you do the same for us? Perhaps Belichick could reaffirm what you've been saying all this time -- just ask!

Ask him why Brady is allowed to run the offense into the ground without intervention from him (Belichick). Be sure to be specific. Ask him if he has any input in the offense. Ask him why Brady sucks. Ask him why a lead-back isn't being employed. Ask him how much of a stud Ocho was. Ask him why Brady didn't throw to Lloyd more. Ask him if the offense is the only aspect of the team to blame for recent shortcomings.

I think most of us know what the answers to these questions would be.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Not sure what you mean by paying "high slot $$$"? The contracts are all the same for first rounders, four years with a fifth year option, same salary.  Only difference is a slight decrease in available signing bonus money as you move down the first round, and that's the only negotiation that goes on. There's not much team discretion when it comes to paying first rounders.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

You are not a GM. The arrogance of you questioning what BB should and shouldn't do. It's just fascinating.

The next time you are in an earshot of BB, please ask him this stupid question, record it on film and then upload it to You Tube so we can see him slap you.

why are you such a killjoy on every thread? you have made so many good psoters leave, yet hear you stay until the ultimate demise of th board...what a shame

did I ever say I was questioning the GM? I am simply throwing out my opinion for conversation on an opinion and conversation board.

My opinion, the DL has been neglected due to poor decisions made on other positions. The draft decisions have compromised th depth on this team, and now similar to the defensive backfield and WR positions, DT needs attention. I actually like BB's history and track record with the DL and with firs rouners, and hope next draft this is where he focuses, and needs to focus..

Either discuss or leave, nothing herefor trolling by you  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Not sure what you mean by paying "high slot $$$"? The contracts are all the same for first rounders, four years with a fifth year option, same salary.  Only difference is a slight decrease in available signing bonus money as you move down the first round, and that's the only negotiation that goes on. There's not much team discretion when it comes to paying first rounders.

Huh? Muzzy, drinking early today? Allotting cap dollars to rookies is not somehing the PAts have done much of obver the past few drafts. Moving into the 6 thru 13 range means a huge difference in salary allotment as opposed to the #25 pick (randomly chosen assuming the PAts will finish with the division lead)

#1 Fischer-$14.5M signing bonus

#2 Ansah-$12M signing bonus

#13 Richardson-$5.6M signing bonus

#25 pick for instance if that is where the PAts would have drafted-$4M signing bonus

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Well, via that logic, every team drafts for "need". AFAIC, a "need" pick is a pick that fills an immediate "need". (and by "immediate", I mean the coming season -- not in preparation for any coming seasons, and potential needs then). Furthermore, a need pick often means you're bypassing superior talent in order to fill a hole on your team with a less capable player.

The Solder pick, I really don't think that can be argued as a "need" pick. It was based on a predicted future hole, but the team didn't need a LT going into that season. Again, I don't think the Hernandez pick could be coined a "need" pick. Ditto with the Ryan and Harmon picks. Our secondary was thin at that point, but there was no glaring hole.

Perhaps it's a matter of semantics, but I don't think Belichick has picked solely based on "need" recently. 

Yes most teams do draft for need actually and no that doesn't mean you always pass on superior talent for need as sometimes the need is the superior talent but under that assumption are you really going to argue everyone picked after T. Wilson had lower talent? Or Brace? Or Cunningham?

As for immediately that year, well really only 1st rounders are considered to be starters out of the gate and rarely you see a 2nd rounder do so but knowing they will need to start within a year because you know the current position is leaving I would call a need if you don't have a good backup ready to go. Or if you have no depth you need to provide that depth and usually fill those needs in the mid rounds. To me need fills a hole that needs to be filled whether that's knowing a starter needs to be replaced within a year or you need to fill depth at a very thin position. Luxary picks are when you are just adding talent or increasing talent at a certain position. Otherwise if you leave it as the definition you have almost no pick after the 1st can ever be considered a need pick by any team.

As for no glaring holes in the secondary, you were utterly convinced Gregory and T. Wilson were solutions at SS? If so then why draft Harmon? Seems a bit weird to draft a 5th S in the 3rd round when you already had 4 on the roster. That to me says they feel what they had wouldn't cut it and need to find another one. With Ryan, Talib has trouble staying on the field and so did Ras not to mention Dennards legal issues were up in the air still so I still feel there was a need to draft another CB.

Examples I think were more luxary picks are:

Mallett - had Hoyer at the time and Mallett was just a good value pick

Cannon - at that time they had decent depth on the OL and didn't need to grab another swing player but he was a nice luxury

Hightower - was a nice luxary pick. We had 2 solid LB and a couple other good LB's but Hightower was a great talent and addition

Some other picks I would put into need were Ridley and Vereen considering they needed to rebuild the RB core badly and I'm convinced they knew they were letting BJGE go along with Faulk career ending.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Huh? Muzzy, drinking early today? Allotting cap dollars to rookies is not somehing the PAts have done much of obver the past few drafts. Moving into the 6 thru 13 range means a huge difference in salary allotment as opposed to the #25 pick (randomly chosen assuming the PAts will finish with the division lead)

#25 pick for instance if that is where the PAts would have drafted-$4M signing bonus

There's actually zero difference between the first pick of the first round and Mr. Irrelevant in terms of salary. The only difference is the signing bonus. Clearly if you trade for a higher pick, you're comfortable with the higher bonus. I really can't imagine any NFL team avoiding a high pick because of the signing bonus. That doesn't really make a lot of sense.

What it does do is make it more expensive in terms of draft picks to move up, because they are so relatively affordable compared to a few years ago.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

There's actually zero difference between the first pick of the first round and Mr. Irrelevant in terms of salary. The only difference is the signing bonus. Clearly if you trade for a higher pick, you're comfortable with the higher bonus. I really can't imagine any NFL team avoiding a high pick because of the signing bonus. That doesn't really make a lot of sense.

What it does do is make it more expensive in terms of draft picks to move up, because they are so relatively affordable compared to a few years ago.

Muzzy,

The signing bonus counts against the cap, sameas salary

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

The next time you're in earshot of BB tell him how Brady has ruined his team because he wants it to be all about him. Let us know what he says (my guess is nothing because he'll be laughing so hard).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Could you do the same for us? Perhaps Belichick could reaffirm what you've been saying all this time -- just ask!

Ask him why Brady is allowed to run the offense into the ground without intervention from him (Belichick). Be sure to be specific. Ask him if he has any input in the offense. Ask him why Brady sucks. Ask him why a lead-back isn't being employed. Ask him how much of a stud Ocho was. Ask him why Brady didn't throw to Lloyd more. Ask him if the offense is the only aspect of the team to blame for recent shortcomings.

I think most of us know what the answers to these questions would be.  

Didn't see this before I posted. Nice job, dreighver.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

why are you such a killjoy on every thread? you have made so many good psoters leave, yet hear you stay until the ultimate demise of th board...what a shame

did I ever say I was questioning the GM? I am simply throwing out my opinion for conversation on an opinion and conversation board.

My opinion, the DL has been neglected due to poor decisions made on other positions. The draft decisions have compromised th depth on this team, and now similar to the defensive backfield and WR positions, DT needs attention. I actually like BB's history and track record with the DL and with firs rouners, and hope next draft this is where he focuses, and needs to focus..

Either discuss or leave, nothing herefor trolling by you  

Who are you kidding? I am a killjoy? You're head of the Debbie Downer Committee here for crying out loud!

no, u pretty much ruin every thread

You question the toilet paper BB uses. You question what he has for breakfast.   You question literally everything he does.

Isnt this what you do every day regarding Ozzie, anything Jets, Manning, Tomlin...etc, etc? A Pats fan could care less what these guys do that you ramble every day about, but Pats fans do care what BB is doing

Here is the absolute truth and fact so far this season:

The D Line of NE with a clearly hobbled Wilfork has been very good.  BB has THREE 1st rd picks across his front 7, two underafted veterans who are very good at what they do in Nink and Kelly.

no one mentioned the front 7. I said the DL, where the Pats have a 32 year old DT and 2 UDFA and nothing else.

All you're doing is using the Vince injury as another angle for you to come in here to troll about how BB will find another Vince. Well, that ain't happening. And barring this team tanking it on purpose and not trying to win a SB, we can't getting into the top 10. Why? Because BB is a brilliant GM and we don't suck like your Jets do.

I complained about the DL depth in preseason after seeing the players, ya know, play

The fact is, as a JUNIOR, Armond Armstead was a 2nd or 3rd rd projected draft pick, which would lead one to believe, if he came out as a Senior a year later in 2012, for example, he very well may have been a DT that a team might have chosen in that 10-15 range.

Slow down on Armstead. He had 17 career collegiate games and 59 career tackles, and switched positions 3 times. No one knows where he was ranked as a player, especially you. He was highly ranked out of high school, and has been a question mark ever since, including today

So, BB will either need to hope teams pass on quality DTs in future drafts, find a bargain option or a Kelly type who comes in here to try for a ring, and lastly do what he usually does and develop/coach up what he has.

THat wont fly in 2 years when both Vince and Kelly are no longer playing. The team needs an anchor or two on the DL, not a revolving door. Dont forget Vinces cap number post injury, and BB's cold heartedness when it comes to "cutting bait"

Overall, I like what Patrick Graham has done with guys like Nink, CHandler Jones, and even what Vellano has shown so far.

You act like with Vince down, BB has let Vince down or the team down.  It's completely irrational.

No clue what you are talking about? Never uttered a word on Vince. BB poorly managed the roster with the DL...and it shows with 2 UDFA in his 3 man rotation today

Your word choice of "resources" is also annoying. It points to spending money or being completely raped by trading up. 1st rd picks are like gold more so than ever due the rookie cap.

NO, false. this team spends resources (draft choices and money). most have only questioned where they have spent it...specifically on DB's that have not panned out

Moving a couple spots? Sure. Affordable. Moving up from 28-32 into the top 10? Pricey. AIn't happening.

How do you know at what cost? would Mallet return a #10? would Mallett return a stud DT currently on another team? you have no idea what other teams are thinking of moving, and what BB feels he needs...look at how Ozzie fleeced the Jags, maybe that is out there for BB with a DL

Stop your trolling.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

What is the point of your thread, turd?  This team is 4-0 in Sept, trending up, the D is as good as its been since 2007 and you're on here handwringing like a little girl about potential future DL here?

Seek help.

Get the help you need if it's not too late.

They just lost their best player on defense. Do you think that will have any effect or are they going to keep "trending up"?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

What is the point of your thread, turd?  This team is 4-0 in Sept, trending up, the D is as good as its been since 2007 and you're on here handwringing like a little girl about potential future DL here?

Seek help.

Get the help you need if it's not too late.

the point of my thread is to opine that the Pats need to address the DLine next draft...I hope they do...discuss. Until you came along, that is what most of us where doing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"You are not a GM. The arrogance of you questioning what BB should and shouldn't do. It's just fascinating."

Nor are you a QB. The arrogance of you questioning what Tom Brady should and shouldn't do. It's just fascinating. 

Sections
Shortcuts