will Brandon Spikes be made a "core member" by BB/Kraft?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: will Brandon Spikes be made a

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

I think Spikes will not be consistent enough to warrant an extension here, not because he's not a good player, but because he will get a stupid contract from another team that falls in love with his big hits and swagger.  I can't see the Pats making him a franchise player and I can't see them investing big money in a guy who has yet to put it all together.  I think the same thing about Chung.  He is inconsistent and will have to take a team friendy deal to remain here.  

i can see replacing chung, but re spikes, extending him a lil early is an option to avoid him going for the money.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

He's not a complete player.  He does some things well and some things, not so much.

He reminds me of Ted Johnson. For all of Johnson's flaws, he was a very good, valuable LB. Not every LB can do everything. Having a guy as stout as him against the run is something any team would be happy to have. Yes, he's not great in coverage, but he's learning and one thing lost last week was a very nice PD he had over the middle. Granted, it was the ONLY defensive play ANYONE made over the middle, but the S are just as much to blame, if not more. I've been disappointed in Chung so far.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

yup, been advocating for both next offseason.

and need a top cb on this team as well. to have a good defense in the nfl, you have to have good corners.

The top 10 defenses in the NFL last season by ppg:

1. Pitt

2. SF

3. Balt

4. Texans

5. Cleveland

6. Miami

7. Seattle

8. Tenn

9. Cincy

10. Philly

Who were the "top CBs" on Pittsburgh, Miami, Seattle and Cincy?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to patsfan76's comment:

Will he be resigned? yea, I think so. Good thing for Kraft is he doesnt have to break the bank because Spikes is still only a 2 down Run stuffing LB who offers nothing in coverage so he is not gonna command any big money. I believe Kraft does realize what it takes to have a winning football team and he knows what Spikes does for this defense. He may be sort of an enigma, but Ive never heard B.B. or Kraft say anything negative about him and I think thats something you just take with the position. A good Middle linebacker should be mean and cerebral a la Brian Cox. As good as Mayo is, he stays even keeled and doesnt mess up much but doesnt offer many big plays due to his calm demeanor so Spikes is needed to bring that ooomph! to the LB corps IMO ...

Watching the Buffalo game again, he definitely got burned a couple of times; on the first Chandler TD, it was because he failed to get the bump off the line of scrimmage. But he made some plays, too, like the batted pass below. In truth, the safeties were the main culprit on several over-the-middle bungled plays.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

He's not a complete player.  He does some things well and some things, not so much.

He reminds me of Ted Johnson. For all of Johnson's flaws, he was a very good, valuable LB. Not every LB can do everything. Having a guy as stout as him against the run is something any team would be happy to have. Yes, he's not great in coverage, but he's learning and one thing lost last week was a very nice PD he had over the middle. Granted, it was the ONLY defensive play ANYONE made over the middle, but the S are just as much to blame, if not more. I've been disappointed in Chung so far.

Wow, good comparison. Johnson was a fine linebacker for many years. A terrific run stopper, especially valuable on the 96 super bowl squad. A good pick by Parcells. Real sad about the head trauma though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

You have to make him a core player

Mayo, Hightower, Spikes that's this generation of players version of McGinest, Bruschi, Vrable

Then you add in Jones, Wilfork and get either a player to put next to Wilfork or bookend Jones and you got a tough front 7 like back in 03' and 04'

Mayo = Bruschi
    Spikes = Ted Johnson

Jones = McGinest

Hightower is really a unique talent the way he moves at 270 and he's 6'2"-6'3", esp as a 4-3 OLB since BB obv. played exclusively 3-4 during the SB years. I'd say if Dont'a plays primarily inside he can be the next Bryan Cox, who we only had for 1 year but early in his career played both inside and outside and caused a lot of fumbles, got 4-7 sacks (with 1 crazy 14 sack yr).

If we go more full-time 3-4 again in the future he could certianly be Vrabel as far as the analogy, although different in many ways and hopefully better, he's a top 25 pick not a mid round converted DE.

and yeah this team now needs a Harrison and Seymour BAD. I'd settle for a Milloy and Ty Warren.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tydog. Show Tydog's posts

Spikes forces a fumble in almost every game now. His energy level and agressiveness is infectious to the rest of the D. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to Tydog's comment:

Spikes forces a fumble in almost every game now. His energy level and agressiveness is infectious to the rest of the D. 

Exactly. His effect on the d mentally can't be quantified. Sure he is premier run stopper and weak in pass coverage, But with good safety play this can be covered. The pats front 7 is almost eLite. 1 de and 1 DT away from being speciAl. Mayo might be the captain, but spikes to me looks like the spiritual GUide. He seTE an aggressive tone and makes rb's nervous. I haven't seen a lb on the pats hit as hard in recent years. He needs to be resigned when the time comes .

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

If all we took were complete players we wouldn't be able to field a team (at least a competitive team). Most players on teams are situational players to begin with, a 3 down player with little faults is rare and usually found exclusively in the 1st round (there are some exceptions) or are starters and get paid to be starters. Wilfork, Jones, Hightower, Mayo are 3 down players for the Pats and they were all taken in the top 25.

Spikes is an elite run stopping 2 down player. He's horrible in coverage but short of Willis he's one of the top run defending LB's in the game. As such he won't get top LB money but he still has tremendous value to the team for what he does. Unless you want see White out there ever play. White can rush, cover, and defend the run and is more of a complete player then Spikes but I doubt anyone would want to see White on the field over Spikes any day of the week because White is no where near the player Spikes is

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"He reminds me of Ted Johnson. For all of Johnson's flaws, he was a very good, valuable LB. Not every LB can do everything. Having a guy as stout as him against the run is something any team would be happy to have. Yes, he's not great in coverage, but he's learning and one thing lost last week was a very nice PD he had over the middle. Granted, it was the ONLY defensive play ANYONE made over the middle, but the S are just as much to blame, if not more. I've been disappointed in Chung so far."

^  This.  Spikes is Ted Johnson with better instincts, MUCH better mobility, and Johnson altogether on the very best game of his entire life. 

Comparing Spikes to Chung is an insult.  Contending that Brandon Spikes is "not a complete player", is likewise.  Saying that Spikes is "expendable", because Dont'a Hightower "is undoubtedly 'the future'", can be classified under the same rationale fund from those calling Ras I Dowling NE's #1 stud Cornerback, because he looked stellar in that 3 TT & no other stat, single game he played as a rookie. 

Spikes is everything that you look for in a MLB.  I can-NOT, offer up the same for Jerod Mayo.  Minus Mayo packing on bulk and exceptionally increasing his pass-coverage abilities this offseason alone, Mayo's career has been of looking good only IF everyone else is hitting on all cylinders around him, squarely on the mark.  For something like playing in only 28 Games thus far in only his first 2 years and 4 game career, Spikes has 7 PDs and 2 INTs-  These ARE exceptionally WELL above average numbers for a 2 year 4 game, TRUE head banging MLB this early on in his Pro career.  At Fla he had 6 INTs and 4 seperate ones he ran back for Pick 6's.  Altogether during Mayo's entirety of play thus far (pre Spikes and/or post-Spikes), I've seen Mayo exposed COUNTLESS times in pass coverage...over and over and over and over again.  Next to him making Impact game-changing plays through massive hits (a total non-entity until some headway just this season & last year's latest games alone), Mayo's secondary fatal flaw was- and has been, his ability to cover (which imho is inexcuseable granted his smaller size and linear full-field fastness/quickness)- I can-NOT in any way, shape, OR form- Minus 1 single TD given up last week, say the same for even an instant RE: his ability thus far to remain in fluid zone and overall very tight RB/TE coverage.

Spikes IS- As complete a MLB as you can find- Jaw shattering hits, unreal LOS penetration and play-direction altering abilities, the b#lls to be A#1 in going full-force head-long into 1-2 6'6 300+lb O-Linemen (and often a FB too) in the muck; Reactive instincts that are plain-as-day obvious prior to 90% of his onfield D-play wherein he's already hedging time and time again, 1-3 steps prior to any other NE defender, towards where the play IS inevitably heading, prior to the snap and at it's immediate onset, NO Big hits over missed tackles (just hits and that guy goes down or wayyy back), game-altering plays in hits, TOs oftentimes during the most critical down and yardage and drive (fumble at the endzone, INT at the endzone last year, etc), ALL of this AND his pass-coverage ability speaks for itself in stats and through the span of his Pro career here in NE thus far (excepting unless IF your total memory ability has 4 or 5 max limit). 

He's a complete MLB, AND a game-changer, AND a big play maker, AND a ferocious hitter that the guy with the football on the other side, FULLY Recognizes.

Who would you rather have than Spikes in the center of your D?  Spikes...or...???  A 40 year old Ray Lewis right now?  Yea, make that trade...it's a wise one.  Patrick Willis?  Mmm, 49'ers'll probably give him up for maybe Edelman + 1 7th Rd pick (he'd probably sign at a vet minimum too).  Maybe we could go back in time and ask D!ck Butkus to travel through a wormhole in order to play the middle for NE...

Who would you like in the middle, TO-day, over Brandon Spikes?  The limitations surrounding your choice is thus:  Anyone breathing (pretty tough stipulations, huh?).    

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I agree with most of what you said Laz...but I think you're underestimating Ted Johnson. In SI Emmitt Smith once called him one of the 3 best MLB he ever played against. When Ted Johnson was on the Pats, I never remember thinking he lacked anything, or was concerned about his coverage ability because i never expected it from him. Spikes has better overall mobility, yes, but as far as run stuffing ability? I'm not sure who'd I'd take at comparable ages.

Good stats with Spikes. I think there is definitely growth already to be seen, and it's fair to assume he'll get better. This, like a few others, is really his first true season in the pros with a real offseason, training camp, etc.

I agree on Mayo. I like him, but I think he is a major reason (and the safety play) why the middle of the field has been so exposed. Also...who compared Spikes ot Chung? If you think I did, I was just saying the middle of the field falls a lot on Chung and the other safeties...wasn't making any comparisons between the 2. Well, actually, I do have one comparison...pound-for-pound, they both go after tackling with the same ferocity. But Spikes takes better angles...which is scary considering Chung has to play in the secondary. His bad angles really showed up on the long TD against Buffalo. People want to laugh at Gregory for getting spun like a dancer, but Chung was the guy who blew that play open like a Luongo 5 hole.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

In response to Tydog's comment:

Exactly. His effect on the d mentally can't be quantified. Sure he is premier run stopper and weak in pass coverage, But with good safety play this can be covered. The pats front 7 is almost eLite. 1 de and 1 DT away from being speciAl. Mayo might be the captain, but spikes to me looks like the spiritual GUide. He seTE an aggressive tone and makes rb's nervous. I haven't seen a lb on the pats hit as hard in recent years. He needs to be resigned when the time comes .

well said all way around..and agreed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I don't get it?

Others here don't mentioned Ted Johnson's name when comparing the current LB group to the SB crew... even though he is the obvious one to say is most likes Spikes... then I do.

And then it is said that nobody expected coverage out of Johnson so it was never an issue... yet it somehow is for Spikes? They were both 2nd rd pick run-stuffers who would have been top 20 picks if they ran 4.6's instead of 4.9's... what kind of double standard is that? Maybe Johnson was a little faster, but please, he was NEVER expected to cover real well.

When it comes to comparing our '12 LB's to the '96-'05 LB's there is no better comparison than Spikes to Johnson... not even Mayo/Bruschi

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to LazarusintheSanatorium's comment:

"He reminds me of Ted Johnson. For all of Johnson's flaws, he was a very good, valuable LB. Not every LB can do everything. Having a guy as stout as him against the run is something any team would be happy to have. Yes, he's not great in coverage, but he's learning and one thing lost last week was a very nice PD he had over the middle. Granted, it was the ONLY defensive play ANYONE made over the middle, but the S are just as much to blame, if not more. I've been disappointed in Chung so far."

^  This.  Spikes is Ted Johnson with better instincts, MUCH better mobility, and Johnson altogether on the very best game of his entire life. 

Comparing Spikes to Chung is an insult.  Contending that Brandon Spikes is "not a complete player", is likewise.  Saying that Spikes is "expendable", because Dont'a Hightower "is undoubtedly 'the future'", can be classified under the same rationale fund from those calling Ras I Dowling NE's #1 stud Cornerback, because he looked stellar in that 3 TT & no other stat, single game he played as a rookie. 

Spikes is everything that you look for in a MLB.  I can-NOT, offer up the same for Jerod Mayo.  Minus Mayo packing on bulk and exceptionally increasing his pass-coverage abilities this offseason alone, Mayo's career has been of looking good only IF everyone else is hitting on all cylinders around him, squarely on the mark.  For something like playing in only 28 Games thus far in only his first 2 years and 4 game career, Spikes has 7 PDs and 2 INTs-  These ARE exceptionally WELL above average numbers for a 2 year 4 game, TRUE head banging MLB this early on in his Pro career.  At Fla he had 6 INTs and 4 seperate ones he ran back for Pick 6's.  Altogether during Mayo's entirety of play thus far (pre Spikes and/or post-Spikes), I've seen Mayo exposed COUNTLESS times in pass coverage...over and over and over and over again.  Next to him making Impact game-changing plays through massive hits (a total non-entity until some headway just this season & last year's latest games alone), Mayo's secondary fatal flaw was- and has been, his ability to cover (which imho is inexcuseable granted his smaller size and linear full-field fastness/quickness)- I can-NOT in any way, shape, OR form- Minus 1 single TD given up last week, say the same for even an instant RE: his ability thus far to remain in fluid zone and overall very tight RB/TE coverage.

Spikes IS- As complete a MLB as you can find- Jaw shattering hits, unreal LOS penetration and play-direction altering abilities, the b#lls to be A#1 in going full-force head-long into 1-2 6'6 300+lb O-Linemen (and often a FB too) in the muck; Reactive instincts that are plain-as-day obvious prior to 90% of his onfield D-play wherein he's already hedging time and time again, 1-3 steps prior to any other NE defender, towards where the play IS inevitably heading, prior to the snap and at it's immediate onset, NO Big hits over missed tackles (just hits and that guy goes down or wayyy back), game-altering plays in hits, TOs oftentimes during the most critical down and yardage and drive (fumble at the endzone, INT at the endzone last year, etc), ALL of this AND his pass-coverage ability speaks for itself in stats and through the span of his Pro career here in NE thus far (excepting unless IF your total memory ability has 4 or 5 max limit). 

He's a complete MLB, AND a game-changer, AND a big play maker, AND a ferocious hitter that the guy with the football on the other side, FULLY Recognizes.

Who would you rather have than Spikes in the center of your D?  Spikes...or...???  A 40 year old Ray Lewis right now?  Yea, make that trade...it's a wise one.  Patrick Willis?  Mmm, 49'ers'll probably give him up for maybe Edelman + 1 7th Rd pick (he'd probably sign at a vet minimum too).  Maybe we could go back in time and ask D!ck Butkus to travel through a wormhole in order to play the middle for NE...

Who would you like in the middle, TO-day, over Brandon Spikes?  The limitations surrounding your choice is thus:  Anyone breathing (pretty tough stipulations, huh?).    

by the way laz, sound sliek you saw spiks in college.

are/were you a florida fan also?

Sections
Shortcuts