Will Colts Switch Horses in Midstream?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Re: Will Colts Switch Horses in Midstream?

I still think Garrard is far better than any of the options currently being discussed. Amazing to me if Polian hasn't made an overture.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

In Response to Re: Will Colts Switch Horses in Midstream?:
    [QUOTE]They should switch horses now. They should have never gotten on the Collins horse to begin with. He is terrible.  He has turned the ball over twice a start on his career ... nothing about Indy is going to change that. Nothing has changed that.  Give anyone else a shot.  Matt Hasselbeck is making the Titans' offense look credibly beyond their RB in two games. Lo, even completing 60% of his passes and on pace for 4000 yards, and 24 TDs. In his best season ever Collins wouldn't get those digits.  The Colts should grab even an "average" QB like Hasselbeck, and do it now before a winable schedule turns into a mess. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

I can't believe any team would have signed Collins, he NEVER could play football!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Whether or not Painter is 3rd string the question still remains.  Why is he on the roster if he can't play?  It doesn't make sense.  The hire of Collins speaks volumes about how the front office feels.  Something is very wrong here.
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

You're wasting your breath on this clown, Gary. There's no way that this psychopathic Indy homer will find fault with his lovables over anything...LOL!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Colts Switch Horses in Midstream? : It's because he wasn't brought in as a back-up.  He was brought in as a panic "ohmygod, Peyton might not be able to play!" move, as a starter.
    You are generally right about this.  I think the problem was that they saw that Painter who played with the first stringers in preseason may not be ready. 

When Brady went down in '08, the Pats didn't have to tank the season because they had a very capable back-up in Matt Cassel. 
    I am not really sure they knew this.  Plus, Brady'd never been hurt.  Plus Brady was now playing in a way proving that HE was the leader of the team and not the defense (see 2007). 

Now they have the same in Brian Hoyer.  Earlier in the decade they had Damon Huard and Doug Flutie.  They also missed on developing some QBs (Rohan Davey, Michael Bishop, Kevin O'Connell).  But the point is, they NEVER just ignored the position and prayed for Brady's health. 
    Sorry, but I call BS.  No coach can absolutely know that an unproven QB who hasn't started a game in 8 years is ready to go.  Won't buy it. 

They've constantly been grooming a capable back-up BEFORE it all hits the fan.
    This comment assumes that the colts haven't tried the same.  They did it with Sorgi and now Painter.  Since there is no crystal ball when a QB goes down, a team just can't know.  Was Cassell or Guiterrez ready in 07?  did you know that Cassell has thrown 4 ints to 1 TD this year.  Does that sound like a QB who is ready?  Shouldn't he be even better today? 

Hell, Brady himself was a FOURTH QB in 2000 behind Drew Beldsoe, who, lest we forget, was The Franchise around these parts. 
    And this has what to do with anything?

Manning going down now is actually MUCH more akin to Bledsoe getting crushed in '01 than Brady in '08.  Even back then, Belichick knew the value of depth, even behind an all-time great. THAT is why this is an issue with the Colts this year.
    You write as if Painter has been doing anything as a back up since day one, which is obviously incorrect. 

Posted by MattC05[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

I have to admit one thing...peyton manning is good enough to live in Massachusetts...he'll fade away into nothingness living in In-DIE-ana!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Colts Switch Horses in Midstream? : This post is incredibly related to demonstrating exactly how good Manning is. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

For the record lets get it straight "This post is incredibly related to demonstrating
    exactly how good Manning WAS."

Lets hold off on the Brady vs. Manning debate until Brady is done playing.

In the meantime, since the Colts are destined to be one of the leagues
    doormats for decades to come, maybe there is a Pacers board out there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

And when Manning has a brand new neck.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]They should switch horses now. They should have never gotten on the Collins horse to begin with. He is terrible.  
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

yep, the screwer the pooch on selecting Collins.

Did they get their lone Td in garbage time?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

I am not really sure they knew this.  Plus, Brady'd never been hurt.  Plus Brady was now playing in a way proving that HE was the leader of the team and not the defense (see 2007).

Sorry, but I call BS.  No coach can absolutely know that an unproven QB who hasn't started a game in 8 years is ready to go.  Won't buy it.
    Belichick absolutely believed Cassel was ready to go; whether he KNEW is another story, but he believed Cassel was ready and proven correct.  The Colts clearly don't have this same belief in Painter, despite his being on the roster for 3 seasons now.  I question whether they would have had the confidence in Sorgi to start him had Manning gone down in '04-'09.

This comment assumes that the colts haven't tried the same.  They did it with Sorgi and now Painter.  Since there is no crystal ball when a QB goes down, a team just can't know.  Was Cassell or Guiterrez ready in 07?  did you know that Cassell has thrown 4 ints to 1 TD this year.  Does that sound like a QB who is ready?  Shouldn't he be even better today?
    What does Cassel's current season (and 2 games at that) have to do with the price of tea in China?  He also made the Pro Bowl last year with a 27 TD/ 7 INT performance.  That also has nothing to do with whether he as a capable back-up to Brady in 2008.  Based on his 2008 performance, he was.

It shows the Pats devoting an extra roster spot to an apparent position of strength, because they knew the QB position was that important.  It was a roster spot devoted to developing a QB that they obviously had no intention of seeing the field in '00 (if they thought he was ready, they would've cut their 3rd emergency QB)

You write as if Painter has been doing anything as a back up since day one, which is obviously incorrect. 
    But that's my point exactly.  He's taking up a roster spot, and nobody knows why.  He's been on the roster for THREE years.  Why don't the Colts know what he can do yet?  Why don't they at least THINK he can be an NFL-caliber QB?  If they even THOUGHT he was, he should be given the nod over Kerry Collins, and been given the opportunity to compete in pre-season.  If they KNEW he wasn't an NFL-caliber QB (which it appears they do), why is he taking up a roster spot?

My point in all this is that Colts management has been woefully blasé about developing a capable back-up to Manning, and if I were a Colts fan, I would be absolutely furious with the front office.  The Colts philosophy has seemed to be "Our hopes and dreams rest on Manning; if he goes down, nothing we can do about it anyways."  How is that acceptable?

The Colts have spent 2 6th round draft picks on quarterbacks in the 13 years since Manning was selected.  The Patriots in the 10 years since Brady took the reins have spent 6 draft picks on quarterbacks (including 2 3rds and a 4th).  None of those QBs were thought of as a "successor" to Brady.  Every single one was an insurance policy so the Pats never find themselves in the position the Colts are in now.

Posted by UD6

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]     "Z", you stated that, "And in my estimation, if Painter were better, Painter would be playing".      I agree. But, doesn't that beg the question that if Painter isn't good enough to start ahead of the washed up Collins, why is Painter still on the roster? Why are the Colts keeping a guy whom they know can't play?      That's a good question for our good buddy "The Dog(gggg)" to tussle with...wouldn't you agree? But, for some reason, he's not around today. I wonder why??      LOL!!!   
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Because Painter is on the roster. What if Collins goes down and they simply need a body? 

The real question, and where they should take heat, and where I have given them heat, is why they aren't doing something to get someone credible in there now?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Colts Switch Horses in Midstream? : Did you watch the Eagles' game last night? After Michael Vick went down, Philly as forced to go to their 3rd string QB, Mike Kafka... Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE] Well . . .  that's a relief. I had the game on the radio and I thought for a minute they said Franz Kafka was playing quarterback for the Iggs. Now that would have been a "Dream Team".
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

I had the same thought, particularly when they said the Eagles offense would undergo a metamorphosis under Kafka.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

They should, give a 2nd round draft pick to the Bengals for PAlmer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]No, give a 2nd round draft pick to the Bengals for PAlmer.
    Posted by patsbandwagonsince76[/QUOTE]

It's too late for that. Indy has more problems than being Peyton-less. This season is gone for them. Frankly, the best thing they could do now is to enter the "Suck for Luck" sweepstakes. This can be accomplished by suffering with Collins a while longer, and then letting Painter finish the season. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Colts Switch Horses in Midstream? :      It's too late for that. Indy has more problems than being Peyton-less. This season is gone for them. Frankly, the best thing they could do now is to enter the "Suck for Luck" sweepstakes. This can be accomplished by suffering with Collins a while longer, and then letting Painter finish the season. 
    Problem is I don't think they will suck as much as KC, but agreed accellerating the rebuilding and having a bad year is better than running in place at .500

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Colts Switch Horses in Midstream? : For the record lets get it straight "This post is incredibly related to demonstrating exactly how good Manning WAS." Lets hold off on the Brady vs. Manning debate until Brady is done playing. In the meantime, since the Colts are destined to be one of the leagues doormats for decades to come, maybe there is a Pacers board out there.
    Posted by MoreRings[/QUOTE]

You may project how ever you like, but for the record, lets get this straight - Neither you nor I nor anyone on this earth but possibly Manning himself know whether or not he'll come back from this surgery with the same effectiveness that has made him the best QB of the last decade.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duc749Rider. Show Duc749Rider's posts

Why do we care about the Colts?  Why do TexasPat3 and UD6 always post in the same threads like clock work?  Are they the same person, seriously?  Just curious.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Why do we care about the Colts?  Why do TexasPat3 and UD6 always post in the same threads like clock work?  Are they the same person, seriously?  Just curious.   
    Posted by Duc749Rider[/QUOTE]

For the majority of the past decade, the Colts have been the Patriots' greatest rival. There's also the Manning v. Brady debate, as to which is the better player. Only recently have the Jets replaced Indy as the Pats' top rival.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]Why do we care about the Colts?  Why do TexasPat3 and UD6 always post in the same threads like clock work?  Are they the same person, seriously?  Just curious.   
    Posted by Duc749Rider[/QUOTE]
    I would venture that anybody who doesn't care about Manning and the Colts is not a true Pats fan.  Anybody who doesn't even understand the interest DEFINITELY isn't.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Colts Switch Horses in Midstream? :      For the majority of the past decade, the Colts have been the Patriots' greatest rival. There's also the Manning v. Brady debate, as to which is the better player. Only recently have the Jets replaced Indy as the Pats' top rival.

...and only recently has the Manning vs. Brady debate  been settled except for some with extreme cases of delusion.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Colts Switch Horses in Midstream? :      For the majority of the past decade, the Colts have been the Patriots' greatest rival. There's also the Manning v. Brady debate, as to which is the better player. Only recently have the Jets replaced Indy as the Pats' top rival.

Debate?????
    Brady 3
    Manning 1

Brady still playing, Manning done.

Really, where's the debate.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Colts Switch Horses in Midstream? : Debate????? Brady 3 Manning 1 Brady still playing Manning done! Really, where's the debate.
    Posted by MoreRings[/QUOTE]

I'm sure that "The Dog(gggg)" will be willing to engage you, concerning the wonders of the Peyton Manning led Colts...LOL!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Colts Switch Horses in Midstream? :      I'm sure that "The Dog(gggg)" will be willing to engage you, concerning the wonders of the Peyton Manning led Colts...LOL!!!

I'm sure he will try to twist this the best he can.
    He has been losing alot of credibilty lately.

Can you imagine posting on a Colts board and
    spewing such BS as he does here.

I use to enjoy the Colts updates from him because I dont follow that team
    very closely.

But I guess nobody does, anymore.

COLTS=IRRELEVANT

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from gln826. Show gln826's posts

Why would the Colts change QB's now?  They are well on their way of getting what they want, the 1st pick in the draft.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from gln826. Show gln826's posts

In Response to Re: Will Colts Switch Horses in Midstream? : It's because he wasn't brought in as a back-up. He was brought in as a panic "ohmygod, Peyton might not be able to play!" move, as a starter.
    You are generally right about this. I think the problem was that they saw that Painter who played with the first stringers in preseason may not be ready.

When Brady went down in '08, the Pats didn't have to tank the season because they had a very capable back-up in Matt Cassel.
    I am not really sure they knew this. Plus, Brady'd never been hurt. Plus Brady was now playing in a way proving that HE was the leader of the team and not the defense (see 2007).

Now they have the same in Brian Hoyer. Earlier in the decade they had Damon Huard and Doug Flutie. They also missed on developing some QBs (Rohan Davey, Michael Bishop, Kevin O'Connell). But the point is, they NEVER just ignored the position and prayed for Brady's health.
    Sorry, but I call BS. No coach can absolutely know that an unproven QB who hasn't started a game in 8 years is ready to go. Won't buy it.

They've constantly been grooming a capable back-up BEFORE it all hits the fan.
    This comment assumes that the colts haven't tried the same. They did it with Sorgi and now Painter. Since there is no crystal ball when a QB goes down, a team just can't know. Was Cassell or Guiterrez ready in 07? did you know that Cassell has thrown 4 ints to 1 TD this year. Does that sound like a QB who is ready? Shouldn't he be even better today?

Hell, Brady himself was a FOURTH QB in 2000 behind Drew Beldsoe, who, lest we forget, was The Franchise around these parts.

Manning going down now is actually MUCH more akin to Bledsoe getting crushed in '01 than Brady in '08. Even back then, Belichick knew the value of depth, even behind an all-time great. THAT is why this is an issue with the Colts this year.

Posted by MattC05

UD, this is in response of the 4 ints to 1 TD on Cassel.  Did you SEE every Int he has thrown?  I have seen 2 of them.  The 2 they showed on RZ, well the ball went off his WR's hands (both should have been caught), popped up right to the DB for easy picks!  Say what you want, but those 2 were not his fault.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts