Will Cutler actually guide his team to.500 or better?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Will Cutler actually guide his team to.500 or better?

I say no, the Bears will be 7-9 this year and Chi-town will want blood.

Archive from CHICAGO:

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2009/apr/03/sports/chi-03-morrissey-jay-cutler-bears-chapr03

Merry Christmas to the kid from Santa Claus, Indiana.

CUTLER 

2002 2-10

2003 2-10

2004 2-9

2005 5-6

11-35 @Vanderbilt

2006 2-3

2007 7-9

2008 8-8     

Total 17-20 @Denver

28-55

33.7% win ratio

never a winning season, ever

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Re: Will Cutler actually guide his team to.500 or better?

@GB     L

PIT       L
    @SEA   L

DET      W

BYE

@ATL    L

@CIN     W

CLE       W 

AZ        L

@SF      L

PHI        L

@MIN     L

STL        W  

GB          W

@BAL      L

MIN        W

@DET      W

7-9 it is, the streak lives IMO.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

@GB     W

PIT       L

@SEA   W

DET      W

BYE

@ATL    L

@CIN     W

CLE       W 

AZ        L

@SF      W

PHI        L

@MIN     L

STL        W  

GB          W

@BAL      L

MIN        W

@DET      L

9-7, same record as the Bolts

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jayco. Show Jayco's posts

Short answer? No.

Long answer?

I've watched this guy regularly over the past several years, and he is simply the worst decision maker I have ever seen. Inside the 20, we regularly see Dr. Jekyll become Mr. Hyde. Go figure.

Lots of "observers" call him a "franchise QB" without a scintilla of evidence to back this up. Most of Denver bemoaned, and most of Chicago cheered, when the Bears (oops! DA Bears!) traded for the QB on whose broad shoulders the promise of unending winning seasons and multiple Super Bowls would be delivered.

As pointed out above, no winning seasons - ever! The only reason the Broncos won 8 games last season was through a gift by Ed Houruchi, who mysteriously called his fumble an incomplete forward pass, thereby negating a San Diego recovery and, in all probability, the game.

Sure, he has a strong arm (but no, not as strong as Elway, as he claims), and sure, he threw for 4,000 + yards last season, but that only reconfirmed the old saw about 3 kinds of lies - lies, damn lies, and statistics.

To tell you the truth, it seems the extent of his education at the professional level is pretty much that he's learned how to shoot his way out of town. It remains to be seen if he's as adept as Peyton at throwing his teammates and coaches under the bus.

Chicago does not have the horses in the receiving game that he had in Denver, and while the running game may be better, that's not why Chicago traded 2 first rounders to Denver. That Bears defense had better be all-world this season to overcome what is certain to be rather problematic offensive output.

He could surprise, but if that's the case, why hasn't he done so to date, on teams where everything was built around him? Hell, his last coach publicly embarrassed his starting QB to force him out so this kid could start. If that's not made to order....

No, those shoulders simply are not big or strong enough to carry a team, at least in this stage of his development. Should he suddenly turn things around and start winning, then I'll be a believer.

Until then, fergettaboutit!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

@GB     W PIT       L @SEA   W DET      W BYE @ATL    L @CIN     W CLE       W  AZ        L @SF      W PHI        L @MIN     L STL        W   GB          W @BAL      L MIN        W@DET      L 9-7, same record as the Bolts
    Posted by KyleCleric2

We both have 3 wins in December for a guy who couldn't get just 1 for his team to make the playoffs. I could be wrong, maybe 6-10.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Short answer? No. Long answer? I've watched this guy regularly over the past several years, and he is simply the worst decision maker I have ever seen. Inside the 20, we regularly see Dr. Jekyll become Mr. Hyde. Go figure. Lots of "observers" call him a "franchise QB" without a scintilla of evidence to back this up. Most of Denver bemoaned, and most of Chicago cheered, when the Bears (oops! DA Bears!) traded for the QB on whose broad shoulders the promise of unending winning seasons and multiple Super Bowls would be delivered. As pointed out above, no winning seasons - ever! The only reason the Broncos won 8 games last season was through a gift by Ed Houruchi, who mysteriously called his fumble an incomplete forward pass, thereby negating a San Diego recovery and, in all probability, the game. Sure, he has a strong arm (but no, not as strong as Elway, as he claims), and sure, he threw for 4,000 + yards last season, but that only reconfirmed the old saw about 3 kinds of lies - lies, damn lies, and statistics. To tell you the truth, it seems the extent of his education at the professional level is pretty much that he's learned how to shoot his way out of town. It remains to be seen if he's as adept as Peyton at throwing his teammates and coaches under the bus. Chicago does not have the horses in the receiving game that he had in Denver, and while the running game may be better, that's not why Chicago traded 2 first rounders to Denver. That Bears defense had better be all-world this season to overcome what is certain to be rather problematic offensive output. He could surprise, but if that's the case, why hasn't he done so to date, on teams where everything was built around him? Hell, his last coach publicly embarrassed his starting QB to force him out so this kid could start. If that's not made to order.... No, those shoulders simply are not big or strong enough to carry a team, at least in this stage of his development. Should he suddenly turn things around and start winning, then I'll be a believer. Until then, fergettaboutit!
    Posted by Jayco

good post jayco. I'll be watchin' da Bears closely this year. Plan and simple, the guy is not a winner. Whiner yes, winner no. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

The guy who presided over the most prolific offensive explosion you or I have ever seen, and the Cinderella transformation of human clipboard Matt Cassell, didn't seem too terribly upset to see the back side of Cutler (especially in return for an embarassment of potential riches da Bears offered up in tribute). I would say that perhaps McDaniels knows something that we don't . . .   except that, if this thread is any indication  . . .

. . .   we do.

Gaudy statistics are all well and good, but I will believe Jay Cutler is the elite quarterback some insist he can be if and when he ever wins a big game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

I think they will finish any where from 8-8 to 10-6.  It all depends on if they can pick up a good WR. 

He is not making alot of fans in Chicago (laugh).  He did not sign autographs last week at a Cubs game and now has many people hating him. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I'll say 8-8 with wins against

Detroit
    @Seattle
    Cleveland
    Arizona
    @San Francisco
    St. Louis
    Green Bay
    Minnesota

They'll finish 3rd in the division behind Green Bay and Minnesota.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsChowder. Show PatsChowder's posts

I'm going to give him the nod for .500 or better, but I think 10-6 is as good as it can get. Thing is he's going to get a ton of love from the fans, the team will be re-energized, and they'll probably play above their head for one year. In 2010... he comes back to his 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 norm.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

His appearance at Chicago will possibly be a wash. The Chicago D has got be better than Denver's (no stats to back that up).

How good is Phillip Rivers without the Chargers D ?
    Or Brady without the pats D ?
    Yeah, with Cutler at Vandy and Denver that is mysteriously never discuused as a factor. Last time i checked defense won more games than offense. Hello, Steelers and Ravens. Vandy I am sure tore up the SEC with their awesome D. I mean matt Stafford at Vandy has them winners right ? And Phil Rivers D at NC St only had Mario Williams and John McCargo et al. It was just ole Phil winning games there.

I think some just do not like Cutler..for example Chargers fans. JBolt we get it..you are a Chargers fans who apparantly hates him. You won't be seeing him much more.
    What Cutler will not have in Denver is the Brocncos offensive coaching staff (Shanahan, Dennison, Bates). The coaching staff in Chicago is not as talented and he might actually regress as the play calling and schemes might be worse. Ron Turner has never impressed me.
    8-8

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

The Bears are were offensive players go to die.....He wont do jack sh*t for the Bears this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

@GB     W PIT       L @SEA   W DET      W BYE @ATL    L @CIN     W CLE       W  AZ        L @SF      W PHI        L @MIN     L STL        W   GB          W @BAL      L MIN        W@DET      L 9-7, same record as the Bolts
    Posted by KyleCleric2

L @ Oakland

W Baltimore

W Miami

L @ Pittsburgh

W Denver

L @ Kansas City

W Oakland

L @ NY Giants

W Philadelphia

L @ Denver

W Kansas City

W @ Cleveland

L @ Dallas

W Cincinnati

L @ Tennessee

W Washington

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jayco. Show Jayco's posts

His appearance at Chicago will possibly be a wash. The Chicago D has got be better than Denver's (no stats to back that up). How good is Phillip Rivers without the Chargers D ? Or Brady without the pats D ? Yeah, with Cutler at Vandy and Denver that is mysteriously never discuused as a factor. Last time i checked defense won more games than offense. Hello, Steelers and Ravens. Vandy I am sure tore up the SEC with their awesome D. I mean matt Stafford at Vandy has them winners right ? And Phil Rivers D at NC St only had Mario Williams and John McCargo et al. It was just ole Phil winning games there. I think some just do not like Cutler..for example Chargers fans. JBolt we get it..you are a Chargers fans who apparantly hates him. You won't be seeing him much more. What Cutler will not have in Denver is the Brocncos offensive coaching staff (Shanahan, Dennison, Bates). The coaching staff in Chicago is not as talented and he might actually regress as the play calling and schemes might be worse. Ron Turner has never impressed me. 8-8
    Posted by rocher

I'll tell you - FWIW, in my guesstimation, Cutler took one look at the new offense McDaniels wants to install, and figured his best option was playing somewhere else. I think the guy would have been in over his head with that new offense.

When Cutler replaced Jake the Snake at QB in Denver, I remember reading a lot about how Shanahan had to "dumb down" the playbook for Cutler. (Well, actually, the "dumbing down" was for Plummer, which seemed a bit odd, given his term of experience and the fact that he'd had a fair measure of succcess with the offense in the past. But this happened just before Cutler replaced Plummer at QB, and I do not recall seeing where the old playbook was revived for Cutler.

Could be wrong about that, tho....)

The point here is, regardless of whether Cutler could or could not handle what Shanahan and his musical chair offensive coordinators devised, McDaniels' Holy Writ could have been deemed a problem, and if McDaniels found himself with a QB who could not do what he thought was necessary for the team to function, let alone win, he was going to dump him, come hell or high water.

In that context, making inquiries, however real or brief, about Cassel becomes understandable, even believable.

Nevertheless, I do stand by my earlier observation about the guy's decision-making capabilities, or lack thereof.

Jeff George had a cannon for an arm. Ryan Leaf's was more than adequate, too. At the time they were selected, there were beyond all doubt viewed by their respective teams as "franchise QBs". We all know how those selections turned out.

I'm not yet putting Cutler in their class, but please - I'd really, really like to see something of substance out of the guy before he's anointed the "Next Great Thing".

An ancillary (and important) point in all this is, despite all his incredible talent (I'm tempted to put that phrase in quotation marks), it was not enough to lift the Vanderbilt program out of the obscurity in which it has wallowed since cave days, and it was not enough to lift the program in Denver, despite a fawning coach who made him the center of the universe, and more - much more - talent than the lad had ever worked with.

I understand it's very early in the guy's career, but to date he's done nothing, and the simple fact of the matter is, there is not a soul in the universe who can argue otherwise.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rimfire. Show Rimfire's posts

I'll tell you - FWIW, in my guesstimation, Cutler took one look at the new offense McDaniels wants to install, and figured his best option was playing somewhere else.
    Posted by Jayco

I think Jayco has a point in the above comment.  I also thought you made a lot of sense in your earlier post as well.  I really hadn't followed Cutler's "career" at all but have to say when I heard about him being diagnosed with Diabetes last year, I was impressed with him dealing with it (as it appeared at the time) so well.  But now I have seen a number of columns talking about his partying and drinking and I think that just reinforces your comment about his lack of sound decision making.  Alcohol is "empty calories" (no nutritive value what so ever) but for a diabetic it is even worse, because it's empty "carbs", which is dangerous to someone suffering from diabetes.  If he really is behaving in this manner, it shows a clear lack of both common sense and maturity--which doesn't bode well for the Chicago Bears with him at QB.  This combined with his past performance history looks to me as if he is more likely to turn out a disappointment to Chicago fans than the "savior" they are hoping for.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

L @ Oakland W Baltimore W Miami L @ Pittsburgh W Denver L @ Kansas City W Oakland L @ NY Giants W Philadelphia L @ Denver W Kansas City W @ Cleveland L @ Dallas W Cincinnati L @ Tennessee W Washington
    Posted by KyleCleric2

so, 1-7 on the road?

5-3 on the road there kyle

12-4

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

The Bears are were offensive players go to die.....He wont do jack sh*t for the Bears this year.
    Posted by MVPkilla

I concur

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Posted by KyleCleric2

Yeah, but the Bolts make the playoffs at 9-7. Sad, but true.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

9-7 wouldn't surprise me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

If were talking Chargers I have them at 10-6 and winning the division. I don't think the 2nd best team in the AFC West will win over 6 games this year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 00chief00. Show 00chief00's posts

I wont make excuses for the guy, but its still a team sport jbolt. He lost in college because those were terrible teams, he lost in denver because the defense was abysmal. He shares in the blame but isnt the total cuase of it. Some of your reasoning sounds like sour grapes to me, and based on past posts by you, I expected more. I feel he should be able to get above .500. The wr core isnt great but it isnt poor either, look for E. bennett (wr he played with in vandy) to have a breakthru season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

@GB     L PIT       L @SEA   L DET      W BYE @ATL    L @CIN     W CLE       W  AZ        L @SF      L PHI        L @MIN     L STL        W   GB          W @BAL      L MIN        W @DET      W   7-9 it is, the streak lives IMO.
    Posted by jbolted

They will not lose to San Fran or Atlanta.  The Bears are a borderline playoff team without him.  With him they stand a good shot to win the division.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Will Cutler actually guide his team to.500 or better?:
    I say no, the Bears will be 7-9 this year and Chi-town will want blood. Archive from CHICAGO: http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2009/apr/03/sports/chi-03-morrissey-jay-cutler-bears-chapr03 Merry Christmas to the kid from Santa Claus, Indiana. CUTLER   2002 2-10 2003 2-10 2004 2-9 2005 5-6        11-35 @Vanderbilt 2006 2-3 2007 7-9 2008 8-8       Total 17-20 @Denver        28-55 33.7% win ratio never a winning season, ever
    Posted by jbolted
    here is what urlacher thinks.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/29/bobby-wade-says-urlacher-thinks-cutlers-a-pussy/

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Well apparently B Urlacher knows what Josh knew.
    Dollars to donuts, Cutler will blow it in crunch time during a must have game for the Bears this season. 

Urlachers opinion is not his alone-
    http://www.scoresreport.com/tag/matt-wilhelm-calls-jay-cutler-a-punk/

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

In Response to Re: Will Cutler actually guide his team to.500 or better?:
    Well apparently B Urlacher knows what Josh knew. Dollars to donuts, Cutler will blow it in crunch time during a must have game for the Bears this season. Either that or he's counting on Obama mandating a SB win for Chicago.  Urlachers opinion is not his alone- http://www.scoresreport.com/tag/matt-wilhelm-calls-jay-cutler-a-punk/
    Posted by jbolted

Sections
Shortcuts